September 27, 2024, 09:19:57 PM

Author Topic: Jimmy was a high fiving M.Fer  (Read 6626 times)

andrew

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • I'm the milk man
    • View Profile
Jimmy was a high fiving M.Fer
« on: September 04, 2008, 12:22:47 AM »
Has anyone else noticed the similarities in the verses of Scott's Jimmy Was A Stimulator, and Local H's High Fiving Mother Fucker?

Anyone know if that's intentional, cause I know STP and Local H have played shows together, or is this just another case of "OMG SCOTT STOLE SOMEONE ELSES SONG!!!"

Local H - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CCHNL3-FZOA

It's a pretty rockin' song.

And I dunno wtf this video is, but the audio is Jimmy Was A Stimulator for those of you who don't own 12BB. - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q06Puxu3n_E
Bleeda blooda

lisa6178

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
Re: Jimmy was a high fiving M.Fer
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2008, 12:24:54 AM »
I saw Local H open for STP in the fall of 96.

I can't answer your question though, sorry.

rustic

• Contributors
  • Co-Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2008, 04:59:29 AM »
I've listened to Local H for a long time, and I don't think these two songs all that similar.  I mean, I guess the drum beat is kind of close, but beyond that it sounds completely different to me.

andrew

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • I'm the milk man
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2008, 09:43:54 AM »
Quote from: "rustic"
I've listened to Local H for a long time, and I don't think these two songs all that similar.  I mean, I guess the drum beat is kind of close, but beyond that it sounds completely different to me.

It's not the entire song, just in the verses. When he's like "you high fiving motherfucker, you high fiving mother fucker" it sounds really similar to "Jimmy was a stimulator, he was a high flying stimulator."

And so on and so forth. The rest of the song sounds nothing alike, although the chorus of Local H's song is a lot more catchy than what Scott came up with for Jimmy.
Bleeda blooda

down

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2008, 04:21:07 PM »
I can sort of hear the similarity but in the bass line and drum beat before the chorus.

The way Scott Lucas sings the chorus sounds more like speaking a sentence, than the way Scott Weiland sings the chorus of Jimmy.

Just my opinion though/.
All that first class jet-set brings me down, down down,
All that first class drug shit brings me down...

kilter

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2008, 03:39:18 AM »
ridiculously similar. he lifted it, no question.. but who knows whether or not it was on purpose?
it's not that weird or terrible - all artists borrow or steal from others to some extent, intentional or not. it's just kinda funny that in this case Scott seems to have just written a slightly inferior version of high fiving motherfucker. oh well. I still like Jimmy was a stimulator.

down

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2008, 02:49:42 PM »
Quote from: "kilter"
it's just kinda funny that in this case Scott seems to have just written a slightly inferior version of high fiving motherfucker. oh well.
OH Hells NO!
Inferior? Far from it! That song has the most playcount of all 12 Bar Blues songs on my i-tunes and for good reason: Do you hear that marimba/xylophone in the chorus? that song has so many levels within itself ['he go to the place where everything was shown'],

Aside from what i mentioned in my first post, i really don't think it's a direct copy/lift.

On another note related to this song, does anyone ever remember hearing the music after Scott says: oh we like the cars, the cars that go boom, in a Carl's jr. commercial? it was for their late night buger, or all night burger.

wayne gretzky

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2008, 03:30:08 PM »
u ok DOWN??

andrew

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • I'm the milk man
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2008, 09:43:26 AM »
It's number 8 most played out of all the songs on 12BB for me. I love every song off 12 Bar Blues though. It's probably the weirdest album I like. Hahaha.

Although I have to say I like Scott a lot more when he's not using drugs.
Bleeda blooda

down

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2008, 04:59:52 PM »
I think the majority of us like him more when he's not on drugs, but atleast he can take his experiences on/with them and create things like 12BB, No. 4, etc.
Jimmy's not even my favorite 12BB song, but I def. play the hell out of it [its a fun, interesting song]. The entire album is quite experimental [he doesn't limit himself to one specific style of music, but incorporates things like the guiro on About Nothing, the theremins here and there, all the hidden layers, to create something mind-blowing], so ofcourse i had to "defend" JWAS, when someone said that Scott's version was the 'inferior' of the two 'similar songs'.

kilter

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2008, 11:01:15 PM »
Well... my considering the song inferior doesn't make you wrong.. you considering it superior doesn't make me wrong. we're all entitled to our opinions. I just don't think quirky instrument choices mean that you can get away with lazy songwriting and people will still be like 'ooh, creative!'. *shrug*

that being said, I enjoy the album.

Vasoline*Val

• Contributors
  • Co-Pilot
    • View Profile
    • http://www.myspace.com/valvixin
« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2008, 07:03:51 PM »
wow yea totally sounds alike!
If you should die before me ask if you could bring a friend, pick a flower hold your breath and drif

gravedancer

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 23, 2008, 07:37:15 PM »
It was probably taken..maybe not on purpose, but it's not easy to remember something you heard once or twice when you're creating something original that sounds similar.
STP Shows: 05-25-08 - Wallingford, CT, 09-23-12 - Sacramento, CA
SWB Shows: 03-07-13 - Boston, MA, 06-07-13 - San Francisco, CA

Vasoline*Val

• Contributors
  • Co-Pilot
    • View Profile
    • http://www.myspace.com/valvixin
« Reply #13 on: September 23, 2008, 08:31:11 PM »
oh yea i agree.. its just a mere subconcenious influence...
If you should die before me ask if you could bring a friend, pick a flower hold your breath and drif

kazuality

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
jimmy was stimulator lyric
« Reply #14 on: October 02, 2008, 10:59:22 PM »
someone can give me the correct lyric? what he says scott on the bridge and starting?
Look I just want to go out sometime you know.  Like normal people, spend time together and enjoy each other's company. Like best friends.  Like lovers that care.  Who actually respect the relationship you know?"