September 20, 2024, 01:43:07 AM

Author Topic: Dave Coutts(Talk Show vocalist)  (Read 28221 times)

Cave Doutts

• Ground Personnel
  • Arrivals
    • View Profile
Re: Dave Coutts(Talk Show vocalist)
« Reply #75 on: November 18, 2014, 06:16:18 AM »
I don't have a Talk Show record.

The Legacy

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: November 18, 2014, 06:21:01 AM »
I don't have a Talk Show record.

Hey id be cool with just more insights to the songs. really enjoyed the story behind "Behind"

NickLorenza

• Sky Captain
  • Arrivals
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: November 18, 2014, 06:54:49 AM »
I have an odd question for you Dave.  So "John" is one of my favorite tunes on the record.  Once it kicks into gear after the intro the music really paints a picture to me.  I think of James Bond or some kind of espionage movie.  Not so much the chorus, but the verse music totally does this.  Were you guys writing that song ever considering submitting that song for a Bond movie soundtrack or something?  The chorus of that tune is phenomenal just the way it builds power and climaxes at the end.  In my humble opinion, this is your "Trippin' On A Hole In A Paper Heart" Dave.

Commercial success and whether or not a record is great are 2 completely different things to me.  There's plenty of records that aren't commercially successful that I think are absolutely over the top phenomenal.  I feel as though the environment a record is released into has a lot to do with it's commercial success.  Looking back at it now I bet this record would have done way better had it come out in 1995.  To me the sound of it is kind of a great bridge between Purple and Tiny Music.  Being that it came out after Tiny Music I think that factored into the way things played out.  You also have to think about the other things that were going on in fall of 97'.  That was really a time where mainstream rock radio was on the cusp of major change where post-grunge was about to be going on the way out.  Kind of the beginning of a dark time now that I think of it. 

http://tunecaster.com/years/year-end/rock1997.html

According to this "Hello Hello" did better than "Tumble In The Rough" as a single that year.

andrew

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • I'm the milk man
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: November 18, 2014, 09:54:04 AM »
Gawd it makes me feel old that I know all the songs off that "top songs of 1997" list, but don't know and couldn't care less about the top songs of the past 5+ years because I know without hearing them that they're mostly garbage....

And I was only a wee 9 years old back in that 1997....

Have my tastes just not evolved, or is the music just so shittacular?
Bleeda blooda

Cave Doutts

• Ground Personnel
  • Arrivals
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: November 18, 2014, 08:57:15 PM »
Kazualty, send my your email or a phone # I will send you pics.

kazuality

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: November 19, 2014, 01:06:59 AM »
Dave, send me the picture to vadoveo@hotmail.com

Thanks
Look I just want to go out sometime you know.  Like normal people, spend time together and enjoy each other's company. Like best friends.  Like lovers that care.  Who actually respect the relationship you know?"

Cave Doutts

• Ground Personnel
  • Arrivals
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: November 19, 2014, 05:10:26 AM »
Thank you Nick
Wow we beat out U2!

NickLorenza

• Sky Captain
  • Arrivals
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: November 19, 2014, 07:12:32 AM »
You're focusing on U2 while I'm noticing you ranking higher than The Rolling Stones. ;D   You mentioned something about leaving your life as a nobody behind when talking about that song but....I think much like the main character from the book Eric gave you, your treasure is in your own backyard Dave.  You've made a phenomenal record with a talented group of guys and got to live the rock n roll dream touring on that record.  The places you got to see doing that and the people you met all are experiences that most of us will never have.  That in itself is priceless. That's just the tip of the iceberg.  I feel more importantly, what you stated here about being married to the same woman since before Talk Show even had a name is quite an accomplishment and is something to be proud of.  You have your family and that's priceless.  To me it sounds like you have your shit together.   You also mentioned something about being glad that you aren't Scott.  Most true statement you could have made! 

I recently watched some interview he did with Howard Stern on YouTube.  You ever watched this?

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=hCFJEOyZUT8

It's about an hour long but if you ever want to put your own life into perspective, to see and appreciate how good you really have it; just watch this.  After seeing this I said fuck selling however many records STP sold, I'd rather be me any day of the week; with my problems, my mundane day job, my lady friend, and my cat.  Just hearing what this guy has to pay every month in alimony alone was sickening but more importantly this guy's vibe is terrible. He's a broken spirit all the way. At that point what does he really have?  Part of me feels bad for him in this interview and part of me really doesn't.

You both did the same thing on a certain level, both made music for Atlantic Records, same label as Zeppelin...Both did this with the Deleos and Kretz and both toured.  Scott may have sold more records, but you got to experience all the same things as him while having the life you have with your family.  What does Scott have?  2 divorces, a shit ton of alimony and child support payments; oh and substance abuse demons. The choice is clear to me who I'd rather be.

« Last Edit: November 19, 2014, 07:15:45 AM by NickLorenza »

OnlyDying

• Co-Pilot
  • "Purple Flowers Ease The Pain..."
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: November 19, 2014, 09:56:57 AM »
Hey Dave, thanks for sharing and hangin with us for a few... Glad to hear you're doin okay and Talk Show was beautiful tunes..

And Nick L -- Kick rocks man, Scott has his demons sure, but the dude is another human being with two young children who was a victim of a horrific crime.. You want to exploit that Stern interview and say the dude is basically a POS?? Why are you even on here??!?!?! Have some decency, drugs aside and divorce and alimony aside, he is remarried, HAPPY, a good father, a good guy as I'm not his friend but an acquaintance. Scott lost his brother and the love of his life in the span of six months... Have some f'ing compassion man... I feel sad for you that it makes you feel better that he's had a rougher life then he would have prayed for.. Sure he brought some on his self, some he didn't...

ROCK ON SCOTT!!!!!!!!! 'Blaster' WILL KICK ASS!!!!

MUCH PEACE DAVE!!
"Adhesive Love"

kazuality

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: November 19, 2014, 12:26:43 PM »

Hey Dave.

I have the pictures, thanks...but it's you young no actually. Me like other fans want to see you now!

Sorry my english im from Spain
Look I just want to go out sometime you know.  Like normal people, spend time together and enjoy each other's company. Like best friends.  Like lovers that care.  Who actually respect the relationship you know?"

NickLorenza

• Sky Captain
  • Arrivals
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: November 19, 2014, 03:08:07 PM »
@onlydying  It's perfectly fine if you don't like my last post, and I can take criticism all day without blinking an eye.  I don't argue with people on Internet message boards. However,  lets be clear for the record; no where does it state, nor is it intended to imply that I think Weiland is a POS as you have stated.  I did clearly say that after watching the particular interview from 2010/2011 I referenced that I would rather be myself and I do stand by what I said. Perhaps after I stated I feel he's a broken spirit I could have also said that its sad and that it makes me personally sad to see that.  I also mentioned in watching that interview there's parts of me that feel bad for him and parts of me that don't.  There's some unfortunate things in life we as humans have no control over. That in itself is a whole other topic though.

Cheers

kazuality

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: November 19, 2014, 04:24:47 PM »

Hey fans.

I can say it. It's real, is DAVE.

Pingfah

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: November 19, 2014, 05:53:22 PM »
Cool bananas.

The fact that Talk Show was never released on vinyl is one of the great crimes against music of the 20th century.

Flyingmerpa

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • Arrivals
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: November 19, 2014, 06:55:42 PM »
« Last Edit: November 30, 2021, 08:21:03 PM by Flyingmerpa »

stp4

• Contributors
  • Pilot
  • Assistant Manager Strickland Propane
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: November 19, 2014, 10:38:41 PM »
Peeling an Orange, Fill the Fields and John are all in constant rotation for me, excellent timeless tunes for sure. Thanks for the great album Dave! Your vocals are killer in my opinion, and along w/ Dean's chord voicings it just sounds very rich and satisfying. Who played that harmonica solo in Peeling an Orange? That song is legendary to me, and the lyrics are amazing, don't listen to the haters.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2014, 10:42:56 PM by stp4 »