September 19, 2024, 07:44:49 PM

Author Topic: Dave Coutts(Talk Show vocalist)  (Read 28217 times)

StoneTempleBrett

• AlternativeNation.net & STPfans.com
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • Pooper Scooper
    • View Profile
    • AlternativeNation.net
Re: Dave Coutts(Talk Show vocalist)
« Reply #30 on: February 29, 2012, 10:43:45 AM »
Thanks Action Girls and Caged Tiger for having my back, Peeling an orange was more about looking forward to something, but once getting that thing that you wanted, sometimes things backfire or arent what you thought they would be.  Being in Talk Show was a little like that.  I miss playing music. Never promised the boys I was a great lyricist.
I think that the guy I wrote with in Ten Inch Men wrote some amazing lyrics. Check out songs like Beautiful and Machine Gun Blues.
Later

Hey if this really is Dave, I like the Talk Show record a lot.  It's far better than the DeLeos' later Weiland-less project, Army of Anyone.  Hello Hello and Peeling an Orange get regular play from me, really solid melodies on those songs and throughout the album.  Talk Show is among my favorite STP side projects, next to 12 Bar Blues and the first Velvet Revolver album.

STP Shows: 5/1/08, 6/24/08, 12/31/08, 7/1/09, 5/25/10, 6/5/10, 10/29/10, 9/22/12, 5/30/13, 9/1/13
Velvet Revolver Shows: 7/22/06, 9/15/07
Scott Weiland Shows: 12/14/08, 12/8/11

STP

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 29, 2012, 02:58:51 PM »
It's funny. Now that we supposedly have a comment from Dave Coutt's on the board, everybody is "throwing some love" to him.
Before it, there were some bad opinions about him and his work.

Sorry but sounds to me very biased.

Regards from Brasil..

Whatever they say I am, that's what I'm not!

JugeSTP

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 29, 2012, 07:26:21 PM »
Here's my take on Coutts: it's not him. Somebody has too much time on their hands and decided to post for fun. And whoever you are, I think that's a lame thing to do.

Here's what I'll also say about Coutts: he was coming on the heels of the best rock n' roll frontman of our era. Of course there were going to be comparisons, and of course he was going to get blasted because, quite simple, he's not as good. That said, I actually think his lyrics, songwriting and vocals are all three quite good. He was hired by the Deleo's for F's sake. You think they would have hired some hack off the street just for the hell of it? I think criticizing his songwriting is ridiculous.

I will say this: I think the Deleo's wrote the coolest riffs and music on Talk Show AND AOA. If you listen to the music on those two albums, it's almost cooler than anything STP came up with. Core was Core. Musically it was simple. Purple was awesome because Scott made it awesome. You look at songs like Pretty Penny, Vasoline, K&C, Army Ants, Unglued. Very simple song structures. Scott was at his peak during Purple and he's the main reason that album became so special to me. #4 and STP were mailed in efforts musically. Tiny Music and Shangri were the band's best MUSICAL efforts, and Scott watered those efforts down in some ways. This is all my opinion only.

But anyway, here's my theory. The Deleo's came up with really special stuff for both Talk Show and AOA because they were highly motivated to prove critics wrong and show that they COULD succeed without Scott. It didn't work out, but if you listen to the music, the riffs, songwriting and layers they put down are magical. It makes me sad in some ways because Scott could have maybe turned those both into truly special albums. But that's probably what I appreciate most about Talk Show. The Deleos got super focused and put down some truly awesome songs. The music in that album is very, very strong. As for Coutts, I thought he did an admirable job with some great material. It's a solid album front to back. How many bands can you say that about today? Is he as good as Scott? No. But you know what, the Colts may have to wait 50 years before they get a quarterback as good as Peyton Manning again. Does that mean that every QB they get sucks? By comparison, maybe, but I think most of us can agree Andrew Luck will at least be "pretty good". Just because Dave Coutts isn't Scott it doesn't mean he sucks. He had tough shoes to fill and he got criticized because of that. That's a tough hand to be dealt but it's certainly not the first time it's happened.

Silvergun Batman

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 29, 2012, 08:00:57 PM »
I think the Deleo's wrote the coolest riffs and music on Talk Show AND AOA. If you listen to the music on those two albums, it's almost cooler than anything STP came up with.

and that's where I stopped reading.
I got a picture of a photograph ...

DeadAndNotForSale

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • Would you even care?
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 29, 2012, 08:06:17 PM »
I think the Deleo's wrote the coolest riffs and music on Talk Show AND AOA. If you listen to the music on those two albums, it's almost cooler than anything STP came up with.

+1
"I can sit there and feel a deep hatred for Dean and Robert, but when I hear them play guitar, I'm deeply moved." - Scott Weiland '94

Cave Doutts

• Ground Personnel
  • Arrivals
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 30, 2013, 05:31:08 AM »
I really don't have a lot of time on my hands but I am bored right now. Yeah Scott is a great singer; but I had some stuff. Its hard to be yourself and bloom when others want you to do something else. I played music for 20 years, was never really sure if it was my calling to end up like Scott. Yeah, Scott is great but I am pretty stoked that I am me, not him right now.
I am Dave by the way. Not a fake or a taker.

StoneTempleBrett

• AlternativeNation.net & STPfans.com
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • Pooper Scooper
    • View Profile
    • AlternativeNation.net
« Reply #36 on: March 30, 2013, 06:01:23 AM »
Any proof that it's really you?

Why'd Talk Show break up?  You talked to the DeLeos or Eric since then?

STP Shows: 5/1/08, 6/24/08, 12/31/08, 7/1/09, 5/25/10, 6/5/10, 10/29/10, 9/22/12, 5/30/13, 9/1/13
Velvet Revolver Shows: 7/22/06, 9/15/07
Scott Weiland Shows: 12/14/08, 12/8/11

lowbuz

• Contributors
  • Pilot
  • Don't ask me questions I don't need no alibis.
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 30, 2013, 06:50:57 AM »

SERIOUSLY are we comparing Talk Show and AOA to the first two STP albums. I actually made it past that sentence but not far. No 4 mailed in? Another great album. It is the most ridiculous thing I have ever read on this board and I have seen alot of crap on here. Those two albums are junk in comparison. How can one possibly compare. On their own they are OK and different. I have been playing guitar for 30 years and I know these songs. There are alot of complex ,interesting and dynamic things going on within those first two Epic albums. I mean if you are going to pick out one of the simplest songs they have in Unglued, what can I say, yea it's simple, so?? K&C and Army Ants on the other hand ...I wouldn't call those straight forward or simple at all, either in structure or playability. Alot of times with Dean there is genius to his simplicity as well, and if you really get into it what he makes sound easy or simple, is pretty much the opposite and the trick to it is that he made you think it was nothing.
I think Dave on Talk Show sounds alot like Scott, I would be pretty sure that it is why they picked him. If I compared Dave and Scott at the time, again no comparison, if I compare the Dave of then, to the Scott of now....then we may have a good argument.

Pingfah

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 30, 2013, 08:38:04 AM »
Talk Show was recorded inbetween two of the best albums of the 90s, I don't know why it should surprise anyone that the music is of exceptionally high quality. The Deleo's were at the peak of their creativity at that point. They didn't switch off their talent after Tiny Music and then switch it back on for No.4. Calling Talk Show junk by comparison is quite absurd. Peeling an Orange for example has some of the most interesting composition of any of Dean's guitar parts, stunning stuff.

benwalton

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 30, 2013, 08:58:07 AM »
Honestly, I think if the DeLeos had presented the Talk Show music to Scott, he'd have done no better than Coutts.
Talk Show has an entirely different vibe to any STP record. I think the music suits Dave's style a little more than it would have Scott's.

EyesOfDisarray

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 30, 2013, 02:47:04 PM »
Honestly, I think if the DeLeos had presented the Talk Show music to Scott, he'd have done no better than Coutts.
Talk Show has an entirely different vibe to any STP record. I think the music suits Dave's style a little more than it would have Scott's.

The Deleos did bring a Talk Show song to Scott, and he did do a better job with it (in my opinion): Glide was originally a Talk Show tune called Saturday that didn't make the cut. In all fairness though, I agree Scott could not have done a better job with most of the songs on Talk Show. It was a different vibe and a different band; if you had replaced Dave's vocals with Scott's on that album, it still wouldn't have felt like the next STP album after Tiny.

blackagain

• Contributors
  • Pilot
  • Arrivals
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 30, 2013, 04:56:45 PM »
Dave, if it's REALLY you on here. Got a question about the song, "Saturday". The band performed it "live" but didn't make the cut onto the CD. Why? It's a great song. Obviously the Deleo brothers thought so because they put different lyrics to it & re-named it "Glide". Just would like your thoughts on it.

Five Star Edge

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 30, 2013, 09:08:30 PM »
Dave, if it's REALLY you on here. Got a question about the song, "Saturday". The band performed it "live" but didn't make the cut onto the CD. Why? It's a great song. Obviously the Deleo brothers thought so because they put different lyrics to it & re-named it "Glide". Just would like your thoughts on it.

I thought I read from the Deleo's that the song was written after the the album sessions so they only had the chance to play it live.  Can you confirm, 'Cave Doutts'?
I’m here to bleed for all the lust and lonely nights.

lowbuz

• Contributors
  • Pilot
  • Don't ask me questions I don't need no alibis.
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 31, 2013, 04:48:11 AM »
Why are people here still believing that this guy is on this thread?

EyesOfDisarray

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 31, 2013, 05:57:21 AM »

I thought I read from the Deleo's that the song was written after the the album sessions so they only had the chance to play it live.  Can you confirm, 'Cave Doutts'?

Oh I don't know. When I said it didn't make the cut, I was going based off assumption. If you read that it was written after the album, then that's probably the case.