October 01, 2024, 10:30:11 AM

Author Topic: Is Kretz A "good" Drummer?  (Read 26416 times)

HeavenandHotrods87

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
Re: eric kretz underated
« Reply #75 on: February 11, 2010, 06:34:47 AM »
Here is an interview with Eric that was recorded in August of 2008..he speaks about his drum kit and mentions the new album..which should be released this May! ;D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Poc0DOQJqIk

wickedgarden23

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: February 11, 2010, 10:09:35 AM »
Seen that ^^ before it's really cool. Kretz is the man. I love that old video of them all in the tour bus in like 1993 and Eric is high as shit it's hilarious lol
My STP shows: 8/10/2008, 7/19/2009, 10/10/2009, 5/22/2010, 4/26/2011, 4/24/2015   Weiland solo: 1/29/2009, 11/29/2012, 3/13/2015    VR: 8/5/2007

STP92

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • Don't let the living die yet!
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: February 11, 2010, 02:48:18 PM »
Love Kretz. Tons of respect for his ability to "hold back" with the crazy stuff even though he's completely capable of playing it. When he does his little fills, they're really cool and special because it's rare to see him go off like that.

DeathBedMotorcade

• Contributors
  • Co-Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: February 12, 2010, 04:14:31 AM »
Funny thing is I saw that video when it first came out and never heard Kretz talk before.  I realize just listening to him talk that he is a very intelligent person.  Must take a lot to deal with some of the drama that band had through the years.  My best Kretz memory is when he dressed in a skirt and tied shirt on Letterman:
http://http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yyiKDNuNG9o

You guys will definitely like this.  After seeing that video I can never take Eric Kretz seriously but he is the driving force behind me buying my first drum kit at the tender age of 25 here soon after taxes.

RCLAR

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
Re: Is Kretz A
« Reply #79 on: March 29, 2010, 04:22:51 AM »
Yeah, I think Eric's a good drummer. He's not Danny Carey, Josh Freese or Carter Beauford, but he doesn't pretend to be, or seem to want to be. He knows what he does best and he it does it damn well.
I think his style of drumming fits STP and I wouldn't want to hear anyone else do it. There's a reason why the Deleo brothers recruited him for Talk Show when they pretty much could've picked any drummer they wanted for that project.
He gives the drums in STP personality and a groove that I think is pretty hard emulate. Maybe not technically, but to try to copy his feel would be damn near impossible.
Karma schmarma.

Pingfah

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: March 29, 2010, 10:50:54 AM »
He's a frigging great drummer, he plays to the song and never steps on anyone's toes, unlike say Ray Luzier who is a better technical drummer but absolutely tramples over the songs with his playing.

Kretz is the perfect match to STP because they all think alike, instrumentally they are a machine working in unison, tuned in to each other's thoughts.

ralphtheman23

• Contributors
  • Co-Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: May 16, 2010, 06:19:15 PM »
Dude, he's an awesome drummer.  I especially love the drums to Big Bang Baby and STP would not at all be the same band without him.

loungefly90

• Pilot
  • You're The Wonder In Everything That's Wonderful..
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: May 16, 2010, 06:32:22 PM »
All right, here's how I feel about Kretz... Kretz and the rest of STP have great command over their instruments but i do not believe that any of them will be considered legends. Dean is no Slash, Vai, or Hendirx and I dont think he ever will be. Robert (who i feel is the most talanted in the group) is no Jaco and Kretz is wonderful but he is no Carter, Danny or Chad Sexton. However, here is the great thing about Eric, just like Lars from Metallica he is great at "basic" drumming and is one of those drummers who can make a snare drum sound incredible but if you gave him neil peart's kit he might not know what to do with it. He might not be a flashy drum maniac but he is perhaps the best at the basics.

STP92

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: May 16, 2010, 06:36:45 PM »
Quote from: "loungefly90"
All right, here's how I feel about Kretz... Kretz and the rest of STP have great command over their instruments but i do not believe that any of them will be considered legends. Dean is no Slash, Vai, or Hendirx and I dont think he ever will be. Robert (who i feel is the most talanted in the group) is no Jaco and Kretz is wonderful but he is no Carter, Danny or Chad Sexton. However, here is the great thing about Eric, just like Lars from Metallica he is great at "basic" drumming and is one of those drummers who can make a snare drum sound incredible but if you gave him neil peart's kit he might not know what to do with it. He might not be a flashy drum maniac but he is perhaps the best at the basics.

Here's the thing about Kretz: I think he can be flashy and do crazy drum solos in every song, but he's too smart for that. He plays whatever fits the song without over-doing it and I respect that about him. As a fellow drummer, I know how difficult it is to not overdrum in a song and not bring out the drums in an unflattering way by trying to show off. Yes, Kretz is a great drummer, but not for the regular reasons.

chetstp7

• Contributors
  • Co-Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: May 16, 2010, 10:05:01 PM »
Kretz is his own, he fits right in there. I think he would appear subpar in  other bands, but would appear great in others. He fits STP and thats all that matters. What you dont see with kretz is some of the emotion live you expect from a typical drummer. Hes not visually flashy, but he is probably the most consistent member of the band

Bipolarbear126

• Contributors
  • Co-Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: May 17, 2010, 12:35:50 AM »
Quote from: "ralphtheman23"
Dude, he's an awesome drummer.  I especially love the drums to Big Bang Baby and STP would not at all be the same band without him.

I'm a drummer myself and I admire Eric Kretz as a drummer because he plays in the background rather than trying to be this drum god. If I were in a band, I'd like to be that kind of drummer.

Also, I'm gonna try to learn the drums for Big Bang Baby. The only STP song I've learned on the drums is Unglued.
Cocaine. Alcohol. Lady-lay. Withdrawal.

dml5089

• Ground Personnel
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: May 27, 2010, 04:13:07 AM »
i wish he would talk more on interviews...i just got the new bonus dvd interview and he didn't talk once

frodney

• Arrival
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: May 28, 2010, 03:22:15 PM »
I've always thought he is capable of a lot more than what we hear.  Just certain fills he performs makes me think that.  I've never doubted Eric's ability.  I like the fact he doesn't over play, kind of like Phil Rudd from AC/DC.

sbuxreg

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
    • http://www.facebook.com/sbuxreg
« Reply #88 on: May 28, 2010, 03:51:26 PM »
Quote from: "Blusashi"
i agree with all of that said... the other day people were saying "everyone in Stone Temple Pilots is awesome except for their drummer" and i wanted to be defensive but i had nothing to really back me up

nah Kretzel is a cool cat. he knows his stuff.

STP92

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: May 28, 2010, 10:28:46 PM »
Quote from: "sbuxreg"
Quote from: "Blusashi"
i agree with all of that said... the other day people were saying "everyone in Stone Temple Pilots is awesome except for their drummer" and i wanted to be defensive but i had nothing to really back me up

nah Kretzel is a cool cat. he knows his stuff.

The people who said that must not be drummers themselves because Kretz's shit is harder than it seems. I'll give some examples of songs that sound easy during listening and challenge you when you drum them yourself.

"Black Again"
"Fast As I Can"
"Kitchenware & Candybars"
"Big Empty"
"Adhesive"
"I Got You"

Trust me, Kretz is a good drummer.