October 01, 2024, 12:24:40 PM

Author Topic: Is Kretz A "good" Drummer?  (Read 26417 times)

pumpkinrocker28

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
Is Kretz A "good" Drummer?
« Reply #15 on: October 18, 2003, 04:58:12 PM »
and i think he is the only Stone Temple Pilots member that can read music
thats right i forgot all about that..... thats nuts!
and in the eyes of a jackal i say ka-BOOM.

Anonymous

« Reply #16 on: October 22, 2003, 11:02:32 PM »
i think i read that in guitar one <_<

bunbury_hmr

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 24, 2003, 07:07:09 AM »
and i think he is the only Stone Temple Pilots member that can read music
thats right i forgot all about that..... thats nuts!
I am without words about this comment!!!.......

What do they just play by ear or did they use the Guitar For Dummies as I did too when first playing the instrument or something??!?!?!

I have been Buried Alive By Love. If I should Die before I wake Pray no One my Soul to take, If I die before I die Rescue me with your Love.

Stpilots98

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 12, 2003, 04:03:45 AM »
My friends Uncle who is in love with Stone Temple Pilots and is a professional drummer said That Eric is late on a lot of his beats on Core, I can't hear it and he said the normal person can't but he says it drives him crazy.

bunbury_hmr

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 12, 2003, 06:49:00 AM »
I am sure your Uncle just wants to show off an he now plays in a Church or something (I am not saying it in a bad way just being annoyingly sarcastic).

Anonymous

« Reply #20 on: December 14, 2003, 09:27:43 PM »
:D ^damn, that has a hit below the belt

bunbury_hmr

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 15, 2003, 04:13:17 AM »
Hey the site is called Below Empty!

No, seriously. Its because i have heard an met some of what you might called The Most Fucking Annoying Musician (wanna-be) People...
They show off that they can play this/that/"it" an when it comes to down to it they suck. i have to admit i am no soloist guitar player i am a rhythm player so i cant say i play like a pro but i can hang on to the songs like a normal musician; but i have a friend who just wants to go overboard an really fucks up my day by saying really annoying stupid comments like "oh you could have done it MOOOORE better if you had added a 8th note instead of a double beat". If he really doesnt like it than i might as well send him to hell but i dont like to diss people off.
I am sure you guys (almost everyone here) knows someone who shows off to the fullest of their Cockiest (i am aware this isnt even a word) attitude that their "talent" is just something to brag about.

Anonymous

« Reply #22 on: January 22, 2004, 03:41:19 AM »
My friends Uncle who is in love with Stone Temple Pilots and is a professional drummer said That Eric is late on a lot of his beats on Core, I can't hear it and he said the normal person can't but he says it drives him crazy.
Well I'm 35 and started playing drums when I was 11.  I've played for every type of ensemble that you can think of....Rock, Jazz, Country, Classical, Punk, etc.....  Anyway....Eric is smart enough to play along to a click when he records....or else he has PERFECT time (which is pretty rare....even for drummers)  I've set a click along side of Core and I'm just not hearing hearing Eric behind the beat....so not too sure where the Uncle is coming from on that.  

Having said that....for people out there that might not know whether or not Eric is a good drummer....he's something to think about and you can form your own opinion.  In this genre of music the drummers main job is to be the 'heartbeat'....the steady sound that gives the song the drive and the feel.  A good drummer will put his ego in the backseat and accompany the band.  If he's not a good drummer he will tend to overplay trying to prove otherwise.  We've all heard what Eric does in the studio and some of us have seen him live and this guy knows how to keep the main thing the main thing.

Can Eric go out on his own and make a name for himself as an elite drummer?  That would be up to him.....But consider this, for most of his carrer as a musician this guy did his job and help form a sound (one band, one voice) that despite what critics have said, is a very unique sound....and it took all four guys to do that.  This cannot be acheived by focusing on yourself or your own talents...you have to give and comprimise a bit and THAT is what makes a great musician.....

Jakk

walkingarazor

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
    • http://www.myspace.com/deathbedmotorcade
« Reply #23 on: January 23, 2004, 12:20:45 AM »
I agree with Jakkyl. Eric writes drums parts that compliment the songs perfectly, and that why the the drums DON'T jump out and get in the way of the song. Flashiness isn't that great when it takes away from a song.

bunbury_hmr

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 24, 2004, 10:55:24 PM »
Now a days there are very few good drummers to begin with. And i would have to say he is one of the best drummers i have come to listen to for his arrangements as well as energetic passion to really bang the drums very well.

Anonymous

« Reply #25 on: January 27, 2004, 12:03:53 AM »
Absolutely!  Drummers have to be everything and nothing at the same time.....  People can tell when the drummer isn't playing or drops a beat (EVERYTHING) but at the same time, must move out of the way (NOTHING).  There are of course bands out there that have done arrangements that called for the drums to kind of be the main part...and that's cool!  But obviously Stone Temple Pilots wasn't trying to go for that.

John

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 28, 2004, 09:42:55 AM »
Lounge Fly.

Anonymous

« Reply #27 on: February 28, 2004, 08:33:34 AM »
I agree with Jakkyl. Eric writes drums parts that compliment the songs perfectly, and that why the the drums DON'T jump out and get in the way of the song. Flashiness isn't that great when it takes away from a song.
AKA Neil Peart. Virtuosity is overrated.

yay

• Arrival
    • View Profile
Re: Is Kretz A "good" Drummer?
« Reply #28 on: December 19, 2006, 12:01:54 AM »
i know im a bit late to reply but i think eric is a good drummer, but sometimes he could get a bit boring. i thought his drumming on core was good but he seemed to get more boring after each album, especially on tiny music... on ride the cliche i dont think he moved from the snare and has anybody noticed the "double tap" he uses for fills? you can hear this especially on ride the cliche, plush, interstate love song, trippin on a hole in a paper heart, lady picture show and vasoline. i think he is capable of doing more, for example naked sunday, and so i know, adhesive, all in the suit that you wear and on the talk show album. as was said before he plays in the pocket, is a good player and keeps the beat but he can get boring, thats all.

bunbury_hmr

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
Re: Is Kretz A "good" Drummer?
« Reply #29 on: December 19, 2006, 12:50:49 AM »
Well if you are writing songs that are in a 4/4 beat and those songs are written mainly on acoustic guitars and tend to have a damp beat, you cant really go out of your way and create a different pattern for all of those songs so you have to maintain that beat. Unfortunately. Just because someone makes a fast song doesnt mean one has to fill the slots with various trills and random stuff to make your song sound that much interesting. After a while that too gets played out.