September 29, 2024, 06:26:29 PM

Author Topic: Scott live show performances  (Read 36599 times)

crackerman33

• Flight Attendant
  • "This is the song with no words"
    • View Profile
Re: Does watching Scott live ruin it for you?
« Reply #225 on: June 16, 2010, 09:38:33 PM »
This topic is rediculous. Just like any other singer who is aging you are going to forget lyrics and sing melodies or lyrics a little different. He does fall victim to singing the same songs over and over again and I attribute the vocal changes to mostly boredom. It is lunacy to think any of this has to do with a lack of work ethic. Go see Pearl Jam live and you would lose count of how many lyric fuck ups Ed has. But that isnt the point and if you are stuck on mistakes made by a band playing live then you just dont get it. Have a couple more beers and loosen up.

If you are so concerned about how he sounds then pump crowd noise over your CD and rock out alone at home.

Sklashboombash

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #226 on: June 16, 2010, 09:50:41 PM »
STP: 07.31.00 | 08.04.01 | 10.24.01 | 04.23.02 | 10.11.02 | 05.31.08 | 09.05.10
SW: 11.30.11 | 03.12.13 | 08.29.14 | 03.10.15
VR: 05.28.04 | 05.18.07 || AoA: 02.01.07
CheSTP: 09.06.13 | 04.25.15 | 09.20.15 || JeffTP: 07.28.18 | 09.15.19

rockdude_unglued519

• Co-Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #227 on: June 16, 2010, 10:24:17 PM »
This topic is rediculous. Just like any other singer who is aging you are going to forget lyrics and sing melodies or lyrics a little different. He does fall victim to singing the same songs over and over again and I attribute the vocal changes to mostly boredom. It is lunacy to think any of this has to do with a lack of work ethic. Go see Pearl Jam live and you would lose count of how many lyric fuck ups Ed has. But that isnt the point and if you are stuck on mistakes made by a band playing live then you just dont get it. Have a couple more beers and loosen up.

If you are so concerned about how he sounds then pump crowd noise over your CD and rock out alone at home.
EggFUCKINactly dude! That's what I've saying this whole time. I mean everybody's like " Oh Scott sings the same songs every night for 20 years? Why does he always try to change them and mess them up?" However I feel these people fail to look at the other side of the coin. I mean  the guy wrote the damn songs(along with the boys who CHOOSE,not forced to play with him) and it's absoluety his right to change them up or even slightly flab them up.
Again as I've said before look at Steven Tyler, he is always switching up the way he performs the Aerosmith tunes for the longest time. I'm pretty sure he is well respected. Morrission did the same, obviously to a more extreme level. The Doors are one of the all time greats too. so why should Scott not be able to do the same? Besides I'm pretty sure Scott wouldn't be as admired by us or the performer that he is if he wasn't the type to push the envelope and generally make it more "interesting" for us all to watch?
On a side note it always cracks me up when people post videos of live shows and claim the ideal Scott performance is when he doesn't move around as much and vocally sounds alomst exactly like on the record. Makes me wonder why people go to concerts if they just want to hear the recordings... Unless they want major lip-synchage. :P

stp080808

• Co-Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #228 on: June 18, 2010, 12:40:11 AM »
I totally agree with crackerman33 and rockdude_unglued519.  People are way too critical of Scott.  You are buying tickets to see a live act, not lip-synching, not a movie.  And honestly, if you buy tickets to an STP show expecting perfection, thats your mistake.  The boys in the band are only human, and intoxicated or not, every show is an experience and thats how you need to look at it.  I was at the now infamous PNC show in 2008 and honestly, I wouldn't trade being there for anything.  Honestly, I was a lot more concerned about the angry behavior of the predominantly male crowd than I was disappointed by STP's performance.  The performance that night may not have been 100%, but it was awesome, nonetheless.  I go to the shows to see Scott and the band live.  And as long as the show happens, there's nothing he could do to ruin it.
08-03-00 Spectrum
05-31-08 PNC  08-08-08 Musikfest
8-31-10  Mohegan Sun 09-03-10  The Borgata 09-05-10  PNC
08-14-11 Musikfest

Fear 2 Stop

• Rightous Bald Dude
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • ╭∩╮(︶︿︶)╭∩╮
    • View Profile
« Reply #229 on: June 18, 2010, 08:17:40 AM »
I'm a HUGE fan of Weiland's but I can't stand the way he sings ILS these days. The way he goes high on that one part...he almost never hits it.

Knuckles

• Soaked at Donington
  • Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #230 on: June 18, 2010, 03:20:32 PM »
I would say that last week when I saw the guys. I thought it was amazing that in 2010. The 4 guys are all up there playing together despite the history of the band/Scott. That was the main thing for me.

Scott being "drunk/spaced", "not singing like he used to" etc, are really minor things. Scott still being on the stage is all that mattered to me.

I used to love you now I don't care

timryanokane

• Co-Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #231 on: July 01, 2010, 03:04:24 PM »
I think scott sounded better when STP reformed in 2008-2009 then he does in 2010.  // He did well with Velvet Revolver too.

I agree with most of what you say in your statement except for these two things...  I think Scott sounded horrible when stp first got back together in 2008.  I think he sounds much better overall now - if only because he has stopped over-singing everything like he did in Velvet Revolver...  He seems to have lost a measure of his vocal nuance and control due to drinking and belting out all those VR songs for all those years.  It seems to me like he is slipping back into his old form.  He is definitely aping bowie these days, but I'll take that over Mr. Yells-A-Lot....

Violet Skies

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #232 on: July 06, 2010, 08:16:53 AM »
I didn't watch the Weenie roast and after reading people's comments I do not want to.  It has gotten to the point where watching Scott fuck up lyric after lyric and seeing him fucked up on stage has ruined the excitement I used to get about this band.  I want to remember Scott as an amazing live front man who gave 1000% every time he hit the stage.  Maybe it wouldn't be a bad idea for them to become a studio band for a while and give us more amazing records like STP is! 

Because of my lack of finances I've never been to an STP concert. :(

Seeing him ruin it or not, just to see STP live would kick ass. I love STP though...Scott could stumble through the whole concert and I'd still love seeing them live. :D
Water summons wind...wind makes fire dance...

JugeSTP

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #233 on: July 06, 2010, 02:57:10 PM »
How quick you guys are to forget the afrin days! I'm sorry, but it's not even close. Scott sounds MUCH better live now than he did in 2008. I agree with TimRyanOkane. When STP got back together in 2008, Scott's voice was in shambles and extremely nasally. Things sounded very very rough. Vocally he's in a much better place right now. Keep in mind he probably also wrecked his voice doing the album just prior to going out on tour this time. Now he'll get an extended little break from the European tour and they've got about a month off. I bet you he sounds awesome when they do this US run.

lovemachine97

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #234 on: July 06, 2010, 10:30:00 PM »

I don't begrudge Scott changing songs.  Adam Duritz does it all the time.  He probably does it to keep them fresh considering how played out a lot of the songs are.  The heavy vibrato is really just Scott not trusting his voice to hold the right note.

As far as Pearl Jam goes, I think that that is a poor choice to compare.  Pearl Jam plays a revolving setlist of hundreds of originals, covers, etc.  Hell, they've played "U", a b-side of the Wishlist single, 29 times in concert, and "Sonic Reducer", a fan club-only single, 60 times.  That's more times than STP have played some of their singles.  I'm okay with Eddie using a 'prompter or forgetting lyrics...

Violet Skies

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #235 on: July 07, 2010, 10:25:15 AM »
Scott is by far my least favorite part of this band but he (and the rest of the boys) rocked hard when I last saw them in Camden (2008).

BUT THAT'S NOT THE POINT. STOP MAKING EXCUSES.

Well that's the first time I've ever heard anyone say that.

I think people are being a bit too hard on Scott here. I mean forgetting a lyric or two is one thing, but considering the guy's past, we're lucky to have him around at all. As to his actual voice, well... People only have one set of vocal chords for their entire life. A guitarist can get a new guitar, but a singer can't get a new voice. So compared to the rest of the band, the singer will always be the first casualty of age compared to the rest of the guys--especially if you are a dynamic singer, as Scott is.

Yeah I agree. I've had dreams that I went online to find out Scott died, and woke up to be relieved it wasn't true. I may not know Scott...and obviously never will...but it doesn't mean I won't be concerned for him because of his substance abuse.

Please no one hate on me - I do NOT say this to hate on Scott or anything - but he seems like one who has an addictive personality (in fact I've wondered if he may also have Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder along with the bipolar), and I can tell that he really has a hard time getting away from addictions such as narcotics. (My comment on OCD is because of other behavior too, not just the drugs.) Scott himself has even admitted to suppressing the urge to use drugs through drinking, a.k.a. alcoholism. It's not comforting to be able to relate to the STP guys by thinking to yourself that you sometimes expect to hear the news that Scott had passed away because his body finally gave out or he overdid the usage. We don't know everything that's going on in Scott's mind or personal life, so who knows how depressed he is and how far it may lead him to use substance to suppress his frustration. Fellow aspiring author and BE user dnabomb and I shortly discussed his book and how people will hate Scott because of his drug problem, and I can see where his inspiration to write about the subject. (Liking the book so far by the way, dnabomb. )

An extremely sad thing, though, is that so many people vilify Scott because of his drug usage. Bipolar runs through both sides of my family, and one of my cousins picked-up a drug habit in high school, and I think it was an unconscious form of self-medication. Because of it, my grandmother went from liking to hating my cousin because of his drug addiction. To me, that is extremely petty...to hate someone because they become a drug addict. (Even worse in that case because it's her grandson, too.) The point is, though, it's no shock people would harshly criticize Scott. A celebrity drug addict seems like a subject that's an in-thing to hate. Whether famous or not, to hate someone for drug addiction and/or alcoholism is a very judgmental and apathetic behavior, and it's sad that it's almost encouraged to be that way. I'm not saying it's wrong to still be disapproving of the decision to pick-up such a habit, but to vilify is most definitely unnecessary. Yes, a lot of celebrities are jackasses, but now a lot of people have reacted to that by turning celebrities into social enemies and aliens, and that isvery callous.

To sum it up though, it's very frustrating that people have demonized Scott - and people like him - because of his drug addiction, and jump at any chance they can to further demonize for it.
Water summons wind...wind makes fire dance...

IMJ

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
    • Wave1Collectibles
« Reply #236 on: July 14, 2010, 11:00:04 PM »
I watched Fuel and AiC play awesome shows at the MMRBQ the other week and then STP come on and make them look like amateur openers.

That's saying a lot man, because both of those bands put on a really great, talented live show.
STP Shows: 12/12/1996 | 10/12/2001 | 05/17/2008 | 05/22/2008 | 03/20/2010 | 08/20/2010
CheSTP Shows: 04/23/2015
JeffTP Shows: 09/26/2019
Velvet Revolver Shows: 05/19/2004 | 11/21/2004 | 04/29/2005 | 08/13/2005 | 05/10/2007 (w. Slash signed Setlist) | 08/28/2007
Scott Weiland Shows: 05/10/2014 | 11/20/2015

vicious1

• Contributors
  • Co-Pilot
    • View Profile

Some may think this post is a bit harsh - but let me say this: STP are my favourite band for so many reasons!

I'm also - so happy that they've constructed a strong set that features 'album tracks' and 'singles' finally - even if they keep this set for the next year! It's a great one and I hope I get to witness it.

I just get a bit upset by Scott's constant lyric bumbles and pitchy singing - I might sound like a massive whinger - but I mean - come on! They're his melodies, his lyrics and frankly when it all boils down - these gigs and records are his legacy - and I would hate to see such a great, great tunesmith and front-man - taint something so close to me and so many others - just from lack of preparation.

For example: You work in a coffee store - you know your coffee - you don't come to work somedays and forget how to make a Latte' - it's your thing, you take pride in it and you nail that shit! Scott's gotta get these lyrical and queue things together.

Peace.

stp080808

• Co-Pilot
    • View Profile
I honestly can't remember the last time I went to a "perfect" concert and I've been to quite a few over the years. Honestly, if you want perfect, listen to the CD.  Some of STP's songs have wicked complicated lyrics, give the guy a break. 
08-03-00 Spectrum
05-31-08 PNC  08-08-08 Musikfest
8-31-10  Mohegan Sun 09-03-10  The Borgata 09-05-10  PNC
08-14-11 Musikfest

vicious1

• Contributors
  • Co-Pilot
    • View Profile
I honestly can't remember the last time I went to a "perfect" concert and I've been to quite a few over the years. Honestly, if you want perfect, listen to the CD.  Some of STP's songs have wicked complicated lyrics, give the guy a break. 

They're his lyrics though man.

I go see shows all the time (and i've seen some brilliant ones) - they lyrics thing i realy think comes off as Scott being lazy and under rehearsed. I didn't say I want 'perfect' either. But listen to that H&HR from Red Rocks - he fumbles lyrics in both verses - and misses his cue after the bridge. If I know all the lyrics - why doesn't he? They are his after all. Really think about the live performances of STP you've seen of late - musically great - but there's been a lot of covering up stuff ups from Scott.

Anyway, Viva STP! - just get the lyrics together Scotty - a lyrics screen would be awesome.