July 07, 2024, 12:21:03 PM

Author Topic: Scott live show performances  (Read 32476 times)

nat

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
Re: Does watching Scott live ruin it for you?
« Reply #210 on: June 10, 2010, 04:41:05 AM »
STP was pretty much in their prime back in 1999-2002, then Scott went to Velvet Revolver and that really seemed to take a toll on his voice.

He's literally half the voice he used to be. Sad but true.

Contraband was such a powerful record, but since then Scott hasn't sounded anything like he did from 1992-2004.

Listen to Libertad, Happy & the new self-titled album. It doesn't sound like the same guy. You're probably going to get a damn good concert from him anyways, but if you expect him to sound like he did 10 years ago, don't spend your money.

I completely agree. Something happened to him/his voice after Contraband (which i thought was a great album) and he just hasn't sounded the same since. I think the biggest change in his voice has been during the 6 years after Contraband and not the previous 14 years or so before.

Yeah, I agree 100%.  He hasn't sang the same way since (not just talking about the timbre of his voice... I mean the way he actually sings ). It's like singing lunkhead rock instead of music that requires intelligence ruined him.

I think he just got used to singing through his nose in VR for whatever reason, and now he can't shake the habit. At least, that's the way it sounds. I think the voice is still there-- it's like you said, it's just the way he's singing now.

silvergun88

• Flight Attendant
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: June 10, 2010, 07:20:00 AM »

But what DOES bother me, is the use of editing in their recent broadcast shows, including the Chicago. I understand that this is very common in video production and if you want to fix a thing or two, fine (though I prefer not to). But Scott's vocals on that Chicago show is just downright not live. I would rather have heard their genuine live sound. If you want to autotune the vocal a little, whatever...just don't re-record it....if that's indeed what they did.

couldnt agree more brother. i think autotune is a useful tool for album recordings. thats why songs off albums are what people consider "perfect"    however the Chicago show was definitely tuned or recorded over because i watched the full hour show on Palladia and Scott was in fact perfect. he had an old growl in his voice on a couple songs that he just can't do live anymore. he can put on a helluva show dont get me wrong, but in the last 10 years he has never been that spot on.
Now onto my opinion on scott fucking up songs. i think its inexcusable, being that i could go up there and sing their set list word for word, and i have never performed live and STP as a band has performed together for 15 years. not to mention that the set list on this tour is almost THE EXACT SAME for every show. there is no reason for him to be messing up lyrics. however with that said, i could give a fuck if he fucks up two lines in a concert becasue i probably wont even notice it during the show. he can still perform, though his singing as well as his presentation techniques have evolved from what the once were. with that said, i can't wait to see them again.

Fear 2 Stop

• Rightous Bald Dude
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • ╭∩╮(︶︿︶)╭∩╮
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: June 10, 2010, 07:44:23 AM »
Just playing devil's advocate, but I wonder if them doing the same songs every night is what's causing him to forget lyrics...maybe he's bored with them? That may also be why he changes up the melody so much on some of those songs, much to their detriment.

Tumble in the Rough, though...that was just a cock-up.

DadaelusJones

• Flight Attendant
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: June 10, 2010, 08:51:55 AM »
Scott is by far my least favorite part of this band but he (and the rest of the boys) rocked hard when I last saw them in Camden (2008).

Stpilots98

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: June 10, 2010, 04:43:11 PM »
STP was pretty much in their prime back in 1999-2002, then Scott went to Velvet Revolver and that really seemed to take a toll on his voice.

He's literally half the voice he used to be. Sad but true.

Contraband was such a powerful record, but since then Scott hasn't sounded anything like he did from 1992-2004.

Listen to Libertad, Happy & the new self-titled album. It doesn't sound like the same guy. You're probably going to get a damn good concert from him anyways, but if you expect him to sound like he did 10 years ago, don't spend your money.

I completely agree. Something happened to him/his voice after Contraband (which i thought was a great album) and he just hasn't sounded the same since. I think the biggest change in his voice has been during the 6 years after Contraband and not the previous 14 years or so before.

Yeah, I agree 100%.  He hasn't sang the same way since (not just talking about the timbre of his voice... I mean the way he actually sings ). It's like singing lunkhead rock instead of music that requires intelligence ruined him.

I think he just got used to singing through his nose in VR for whatever reason, and now he can't shake the habit. At least, that's the way it sounds. I think the voice is still there-- it's like you said, it's just the way he's singing now.

I agree 100%.  He sounded incredible live on the Contraband tour and has not sounded the same since.  With that being said this is not the reason why him live is bothering me.  Voice is always going to change with age/smoking etc.. 

ohyeahkoolaid

• Flight Attendant
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: June 10, 2010, 07:15:36 PM »
I think us hardcore fans worry a lot more than we need to. We catch every little nuance that happens, where casual fans either don't notice or don't think it's a big deal.

They spoiled me because I know how amazing Scott can be *again I have no problem with the rest of the bands performance*  Also, because I love this band

When was your first time seeing Scott btw?

2008. I was only 14 and didn't listen to any music when STP broke up so I missed out on the good old days.

Seen him 8 times with 3 different bands since then, and every show was the best one I've ever been to.

So before you were implying someone else was a young kid and talking down to them for it, and you yourself are 16 or 17? Seems a bit ironic....

I think the post about the "perfect show" summed up my thoughts very well, thank you. I don't go to any concert expecting it to be perfect. I don't go to an STP show and expect Scott to sing every lyric with complete accuracy. However,  the point I made about Eddie Vedder was that those are slips of the mind, where as it seems a bit more intoxicated with Scott. Compare from when they first reformed to now, and it seems mistakes are a bit more common. I wonder if it's going to be a continuing trend.

andrew

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • I'm the milk man
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: June 10, 2010, 11:06:27 PM »
I think us hardcore fans worry a lot more than we need to. We catch every little nuance that happens, where casual fans either don't notice or don't think it's a big deal.

They spoiled me because I know how amazing Scott can be *again I have no problem with the rest of the bands performance*  Also, because I love this band

When was your first time seeing Scott btw?

2008. I was only 14 and didn't listen to any music when STP broke up so I missed out on the good old days.

Seen him 8 times with 3 different bands since then, and every show was the best one I've ever been to.

So before you were implying someone else was a young kid and talking down to them for it, and you yourself are 16 or 17? Seems a bit ironic....

I think the post about the "perfect show" summed up my thoughts very well, thank you. I don't go to any concert expecting it to be perfect. I don't go to an STP show and expect Scott to sing every lyric with complete accuracy. However,  the point I made about Eddie Vedder was that those are slips of the mind, where as it seems a bit more intoxicated with Scott. Compare from when they first reformed to now, and it seems mistakes are a bit more common. I wonder if it's going to be a continuing trend.

14 when STP broke up for the first time means I'm 16 or 17? I think you may need a refresher on elementary school arithmetic.
Bleeda blooda

ohyeahkoolaid

• Flight Attendant
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: June 11, 2010, 01:39:45 AM »
Misread it, sorry. I thought you said you first saw STP in 2008 when you were 14. My mistake.

Piece_of_Pie

• Contributors
  • Co-Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: June 11, 2010, 02:13:41 AM »
Scott is by far my least favorite part of this band but he (and the rest of the boys) rocked hard when I last saw them in Camden (2008).

Well that's the first time I've ever heard anyone say that.

I think people are being a bit too hard on Scott here. I mean forgetting a lyric or two is one thing, but considering the guy's past, we're lucky to have him around at all. As to his actual voice, well... People only have one set of vocal chords for their entire life. A guitarist can get a new guitar, but a singer can't get a new voice. So compared to the rest of the band, the singer will always be the first casualty of age compared to the rest of the guys--especially if you are a dynamic singer, as Scott is.

Five Star Edge

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: June 11, 2010, 03:23:12 AM »
Just playing devil's advocate, but I wonder if them doing the same songs every night is what's causing him to forget lyrics...maybe he's bored with them? That may also be why he changes up the melody so much on some of those songs, much to their detriment.

Tumble in the Rough, though...that was just a cock-up.

I know Rob, Dean, & Eric want to play more/different songs, but Scott is never around to rehearse them.
I’m here to bleed for all the lust and lonely nights.

andrew

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • I'm the milk man
    • View Profile
« Reply #220 on: June 11, 2010, 03:23:34 AM »

BUT THAT'S NOT THE POINT. STOP MAKING EXCUSES.

Well that's the first time I've ever heard anyone say that.

I think people are being a bit too hard on Scott here. I mean forgetting a lyric or two is one thing, but considering the guy's past, we're lucky to have him around at all. As to his actual voice, well... People only have one set of vocal chords for their entire life. A guitarist can get a new guitar, but a singer can't get a new voice. So compared to the rest of the band, the singer will always be the first casualty of age compared to the rest of the guys--especially if you are a dynamic singer, as Scott is.
Bleeda blooda

Sklashboombash

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: June 14, 2010, 03:19:29 PM »
I know Rob, Dean, & Eric want to play more/different songs, but Scott is never around to rehearse them.

Remember their setlists around the Tiny Music era...that was so awesome. I'd love to hear them do that again.
I don't get why Scott is the reason (if that is indeed true) cuz with his solo band/tour, weren't they always changing stuff up?
STP: 07.31.00 | 08.04.01 | 10.24.01 | 04.23.02 | 10.11.02 | 05.31.08 | 09.05.10
SW: 11.30.11 | 03.12.13 | 08.29.14 | 03.10.15
VR: 05.28.04 | 05.18.07 || AoA: 02.01.07
CheSTP: 09.06.13 | 04.25.15 | 09.20.15 || JeffTP: 07.28.18 | 09.15.19

andrew

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • I'm the milk man
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: June 14, 2010, 10:21:19 PM »

Remember their setlists around the Tiny Music era...that was so awesome. I'd love to hear them do that again.
I don't get why Scott is the reason (if that is indeed true) cuz with his solo band/tour, weren't they always changing stuff up?

They changed a couple songs up, but it was generally the same setlist. The songs I can think of that they didn't play regularly are Hello It's Late, Mountain Song, Waiting For Superman, Fall To Pieces and Do It For The Kids.
Bleeda blooda

rockdude_unglued519

• Co-Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #223 on: June 14, 2010, 10:41:36 PM »
How does anybody really know know for a fact, not just assume when Scott is or is not around to rehearse with the guys? I mean there is a HUGE difference between skipping soundcheck and skipping rehearsals. I honestly doubt, the guy has realeased and sold all of the albums he has, toured as much as he has with a poor work ethic. I'm not trying to hate on anyone but people really need to realize, that it's not fair to make Scott the scapegoat for every little thing that they would like to be different about STP or w/e project he's involved in. I mean there are three other members of the band who have input and maybe it really was a group descion to not play any of the other new tunes yet. I'm sure they will shortly, but Scott won't get all of the credit then so why give him all of the blame now?

rocker rockstar

• Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #224 on: June 16, 2010, 08:49:40 PM »
What bugs me about scott is that he is changing how he sings old songs.  He voice is fine it is technique.  He is trying to sound like Bowe at the end of every verse or something.  For instance listend to this.

wicked garden 2010

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4fX0SWgrYrw&feature=related

Scott sounds good untell he goes ee-ee-ee at the end of the songs.  or oo-oo-oo etc... lies..ies.ies.ies

It is fine to do this now and then but for a hole song on every verse ending is bad.  Then he does this on a lot of old songs and in my mind messes them all up.  It almost is so annoying to me that I cant enjoy the rest of it.  Scott sounds great on his new songs true to form to the record.  But the old songs are lacking.  I guess he may be tired of singing them the old way.  I think scott sounded better when STP reformed in 2008-2009 then he does in 2010.  Scott really was awsome in 2001 when I saw them live at the Family Values Tour.  I think that was one of the best I have seen of scott.  He did well with Velvet Revolver too.  Sadly I missed the early 90s tours.

wicked garden 1994
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=soRQlZ98-C0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QGe8DpA4oF4