October 01, 2024, 10:39:14 AM

Author Topic: THE BEST PRODUCTION OF BRENDAN O'BRIEN WITH STP?  (Read 16801 times)

StoneTempleBrett

• AlternativeNation.net & STPfans.com
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • Pooper Scooper
    • View Profile
    • AlternativeNation.net
Re: STP Album Production Quality
« Reply #60 on: August 10, 2008, 04:15:34 AM »
Vs. is my favorite Pearl Jam album too.  Leash is a great rebellious song, "Drop the leash we are young, get out of my fucking face!"

There are a few songs on Shangri LA DEE DA that sound a little overproduced.  Too Cool Queenie is a good example, the live version just sounds better.  The vocals are a little too cleaned up in the recorded version and a more raw guitar sound would have made it better.  Don't get me wrong, I love Too Cool Queenie, but it is over-produced.  Transmissions From A Lonely Room and Regeneration are two other good examples.  I think the production on Bi-Polar Bear and Black Again is great though, their is some stuff added in, but it adds to the song, it doesn't make it sound over polished like those other songs I mentioned.

STP Shows: 5/1/08, 6/24/08, 12/31/08, 7/1/09, 5/25/10, 6/5/10, 10/29/10, 9/22/12, 5/30/13, 9/1/13
Velvet Revolver Shows: 7/22/06, 9/15/07
Scott Weiland Shows: 12/14/08, 12/8/11

loungefly611

• The Other Scott
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
    • Scott 'The Madness' Stessl
« Reply #61 on: August 10, 2008, 05:29:52 AM »
Quote from: "nat"
Absolutely. Not only is it their best sounding album production-wise, but their greatest musically, IMO. It's the only PJ record I listen to anymore. It's consistently excellent from start to finish unlike anything they did before or since.

The underrated No Code is right there as far as a consistent PJ record goes. Yield too. It might not have the hits that Vs. did, but as a whole the albums flow well. (Especially Yield) Ironically, those two (along with Vs) are my top three favorite PJ albums.
Dedicated. Disgusting. Disturbing.

I'm just sittin' on this merry-go-round, and the music is too loud..

stpfan94

• Contributors
  • Co-Pilot
    • View Profile
Re: THE BEST PRODUCTION OF BRENDAN O'BRIEN WITH STP?
« Reply #62 on: August 23, 2008, 02:45:27 AM »
I say Purple. Best album ever. And in "Coma", that's Scott's voice? Awesome!
Still shackled to the shadow, still shackled to the shadow...

STP92

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • Don't let the living die yet!
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: November 22, 2008, 01:15:06 AM »
As good as most of the songs were on 'Core', the album was overproduced. If it was produced more like 'Purple', it would be a lot better.

BrandoKommando

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: December 08, 2008, 08:39:07 PM »
I'd have to say that O'Brien did a good job on "Tiny Music", but "Purple" has some
pretty good layering and dubbing in the mixes, but still stays true to STP's live performance.

-Brando
"I was a SUPERMAN, but looks are deceiving."  - Scott Weiland

STPGurl

• Original Bad Girl
  • Cardinal
  • Sky Captain
  • Sucker for SRW
    • View Profile
    • SWBGC
« Reply #65 on: December 08, 2008, 08:43:30 PM »
Quote from: "BrandoKommando"
I'd have to say that O'Brien did a good job on "Tiny Music", but "Purple" has some
pretty good layering and dubbing in the mixes, but still stays true to STP's live performance.

-Brando

This is the third topic in five minutes that you responded to in which no conversation has taken place since before August.  Check the dates before going post crazy, bro.
How could they not notice it?! Because it's a little mint.  It's a Junior Mint!

JugeSTP

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: December 08, 2008, 08:50:17 PM »
Quote from: "STPGurl"

-Brando

This is the third topic in five minutes that you responded to in which no conversation has taken place since before August.  Check the dates before going post crazy, bro.

why does that bother you so much? Who cares?

peronim

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: December 08, 2008, 09:05:17 PM »
ACTUALLY, I'm glad you posted again on this topic because it got me thinking...In my opinion, I love the production work on Shangri La and No. 4....Although No. 4 gets bashed production wise, I love the raw/garage sound going on   (I'm probably biased, however, since No. 4 is probably my fav. STP album)

STPGurl

• Original Bad Girl
  • Cardinal
  • Sky Captain
  • Sucker for SRW
    • View Profile
    • SWBGC
« Reply #68 on: December 08, 2008, 09:17:33 PM »
Quote from: "JugeSTP"
Quote from: "STPGurl"

-Brando

why does that bother you so much? Who cares?

Eh... it's pretty fucking annoying when someone floods the boards by responding to old topics.  Especially if they just READ the global announcement, which says that doing that isn't going to get them to the downloads - but they do it anyway.

That's why I am obsessed with the "friends and foes" feature.  Whenever I spot a Spammer, I can block them - along with all their [meaningless] posts!   ;D
How could they not notice it?! Because it's a little mint.  It's a Junior Mint!

stpnj2008

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: December 17, 2008, 11:59:42 PM »
I really dig the raw sounding production of No. 4, gives it a live feel for me. Purple is probably the most technically sound recording, each mix complements each song perfectly.

peronim

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: December 18, 2008, 12:26:25 AM »
Ohh yeaa No. 4 fuckin rocks...Every song is brilliant, IMO   Just a straight rock n roll album

kazuality

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
RE-EDITED ALBUMS?
« Reply #71 on: December 29, 2008, 11:24:25 PM »
What album you'd like to edit it again with better sound and bonus material? For me, Tiny music!
Look I just want to go out sometime you know.  Like normal people, spend time together and enjoy each other's company. Like best friends.  Like lovers that care.  Who actually respect the relationship you know?"

STP92

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
Re: RE-EDITED ALBUMS?
« Reply #72 on: December 30, 2008, 12:13:40 AM »
I'd just remaster 'Core'. I like most of the songs on the album, but they need to be touched up.

wickedgarden23

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: December 30, 2008, 12:29:24 AM »
Quote from: "STP92"
I'd just remaster 'Core'. I like most of the songs on the album, but they need to be touched up.
I don't really have much "musical production knowledge", but I'm just curious...what exactly would you "touch up"? The songs sound very early 90s to me, but that's not something I'd change if that's what you were referring to.
My STP shows: 8/10/2008, 7/19/2009, 10/10/2009, 5/22/2010, 4/26/2011, 4/24/2015   Weiland solo: 1/29/2009, 11/29/2012, 3/13/2015    VR: 8/5/2007

STP92

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: December 30, 2008, 01:05:06 AM »
Quote from: "wickedgarden23"
Quote from: "STP92"
I don't really have much "musical production knowledge", but I'm just curious...what exactly would you "touch up"? The songs sound very early 90s to me, but that's not something I'd change if that's what you were referring to.

I don't have much "musical production knowledge" either to be honest. What I meant is more of changing the quality of the album more than the actual song. For example, I really like the background guitar riff in "Wicked Garden" because it is very 90's. I wouldn't change that at all, I'd just change the production quality.