September 21, 2024, 10:26:59 AM

Author Topic: Only Dying  (Read 16978 times)

silvergunsuperboy

• Ground Personnel
    • View Profile
Re: Only Dying
« Reply #45 on: June 08, 2010, 10:08:21 PM »
the my/face thing would be cool. The possibility of it coming back to soundtrack form would be awesome considering the current re-boot of the whole crow franchise. it would be great to see stp on another crow soundtrack for a new generation of fans.

ReY_LaGartO

• Co-Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: June 15, 2010, 05:58:13 AM »
hey what if we started a profile in FB/Myspace for the song? maybe we could get something...

joelrojas84

• Flight Attendant
  • Arrivals
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: June 16, 2010, 03:55:30 PM »
the my/face thing would be cool. The possibility of it coming back to soundtrack form would be awesome considering the current re-boot of the whole crow franchise. it would be great to see stp on another crow soundtrack for a new generation of fans.

I was thinking the same, but if the re-boot the franchise, the soundtrack would be so different

silvergunsuperboy

• Ground Personnel
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: June 22, 2010, 04:50:35 AM »
yeah you're right. it might go emo or maybe the "twilight" direction. i think though that if the powers that be listen to the fans maybe we'd have a shot. stp has a great sound for that particular comic genre.

joelrojas84

• Flight Attendant
  • Arrivals
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: June 22, 2010, 06:17:29 PM »
yeah you're right. it might go emo or maybe the "twilight" direction. i think though that if the powers that be listen to the fans maybe we'd have a shot. stp has a great sound for that particular comic genre.

you know, S.T.P., R.A.T.M. and N.I.N. back in 93' and Paramore and Muse in the new Crow's soundtrack... Awful just awful man, I respect those bands but I don't really like at all, I want STP on a New Crow's soundtrack!!! I miss the 90's!!!

by the way, Only Dying is my Favorite track on the MJY demo

Chewals

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: June 22, 2010, 06:46:11 PM »
I just can't seem to understand why everyone is crazy about Only Dying. I'd rather hear The Way She Moves than Only Dying.

loungefly611

• The Other Scott
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
    • Scott 'The Madness' Stessl
« Reply #51 on: June 22, 2010, 08:47:51 PM »
I just can't seem to understand why everyone is crazy about Only Dying. I'd rather hear The Way She Moves than Only Dying.

Agreed. Everyone seems to have a hard on for Only Dying though for some reason.
Dedicated. Disgusting. Disturbing.

I'm just sittin' on this merry-go-round, and the music is too loud..

STP92

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • Don't let the living die yet!
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: June 22, 2010, 08:56:27 PM »

Agreed. Everyone seems to have a hard on for Only Dying though for some reason.

Simply, I think it's a good song and would like to hear the remastered version. My reason is nothing more than that. I'm not holding my breath waiting for it to be released, but I'd be pleasantly suprised if it was.

andrew

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • I'm the milk man
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: June 22, 2010, 11:25:29 PM »
Only Dying is an awesome song. Can't deny it. I think it's a shame it wasn't recorded for Core & that they never released the version for The Crow.
Bleeda blooda

loungefly611

• The Other Scott
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
    • Scott 'The Madness' Stessl
« Reply #54 on: June 23, 2010, 08:40:53 PM »
Only Dying is an awesome song. Can't deny it. I think it's a shame it wasn't recorded for Core & that they never released the version for The Crow.

I honestly havn't listened to it in a LONG time. Maybe three years or so. I think it was the case of another over hyped track that when I heard it, I asked myself, 'That's what everyone was raving about?' I would have remembered it if I thought it was really good. I'll give it another spin this weekend if I remember, because I cannot for the life of me remember how it goes.
Dedicated. Disgusting. Disturbing.

I'm just sittin' on this merry-go-round, and the music is too loud..

cosmicpilot

• Flowery Bad Girl
  • Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: July 04, 2010, 11:46:39 PM »
Quote from: netocr1
Hi, anybody understands the end of Only Dying of Mighty Joe Young (the whispers, the bell...) <!-- s??? -->???<!-- s??? -->

I'm only dying of curiosity!! Can somebody help me?

First post <!-- s:) -->:)<!-- s:) --> <!-- s;) -->;)<!-- s;) -->

i think it was just to kind of enhance the sad atmosphere of the song... they needed some creepy sound effects so thats what they did. i really hope they release the version they did for the crow movie at some point, its an awesome song and they were at their best in 1993/1994 when they probably recorded it

Think the bell thing is a nod to Scott's Catholicism as I read somewhere that he was an alter boy (and a catholic) and if you listen to the chant, it is where they are consecrating the bread and wine for communion.

"Robert DeLeo is right there with him in the pocket, accenting the groove with his thick baselines (while exuding a stage presence midway between CIA agent, Mafia hit man, Latin gigolo and dance instructor, thanks to his slicked-back hair, ever-present shades and fluid moves)"
Darryl Sterdan - The winnipeg Sun

Tyrant

• Global Moderator
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: November 05, 2010, 12:55:33 AM »
Ok. Now I'm pretty sure that the Only Dying remake that was supposedly intended to be released on the Crow soundtrack is just a myth.
I just did some research to find out where this rumor/fact came from and here's the only source I found.

From Robert's Purple track-by-track commentaries:
'Big Empty'

"This track is part of the soundtrack of 'The Crow' with Brandon Lee, Bruce Lee's son, who was shot during the filming of the movie. Originally this track was called 'Only Dying', but after Brandon's death, we didn't think that was such a good choice.
Link: http://www.belowempty.com/articles.php?p=1994&s=story&id=120

To me, it sounds like "Big Empty" was actually called "Only Dying" but they had to change the title because of the Brandon's death.  If that's the case, then "why the hell Big Empty was intended to be called just like the band's old song?" you would ask. 
Well, The MJY's and Core's Piece Of Pie are two completely different songs but they kept the title because both songs share the same bassline. Looks like they were going to do the same trick with Only Dying. It was already noted that these songs share the same drum parts.
Plus, Only Dying was dissected long before the Crow soundtrack and it's parts were used in Piece Of Pie and Sin.

Looks like someone misunderstood the above mentioned Robert's quote.

Makes sense?
If anyone has any proof that my conclusion is wrong, I would be more than happy to accept it.
Can we really find
A lovely magic place we dream of?

"Well hell, sometimes it is difficult to take a shower with a broken heart" - Scott Weiland

Silver guns and Candybars

« Reply #57 on: December 09, 2010, 05:42:26 PM »
stp should pull a "soundgarden" and release this song as a new single after they finish promoting the new album

the new album is amazing but this new generation of rock fans  who like generic rockers like theory of a deadman, nickelback, coldplay cant appreciate the greatness of a robert deleo bassline or a dean deleo solo all held together by a kretz drum beat .. all they want to hear is another core/purple which is a shame

but however i think this song would be huge and satisfy both the stp fanbase and modern day rock fans... and if stp considers making their next album a hard rock album this single could be a good setup for it

bottom line this song is amazing and needs to be heard...hell alot of stp fans dont even know about it
and i beleive there is a remastered version that was made in 94 but is now floating around in their music library

MyFavoriteCagedTiger

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • I'll breathe your life, Vick's Vapor life
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: December 28, 2011, 07:15:56 PM »
Hate to drag this back after a year, but does anyone understand what...whoever is saying in the outro? During the bell part? I cant understand it
You'll never lose it cuz you never had it

Shangri

• Bad Girl-La Dee Da
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • "It's like playing in front of 40 000 drummers"
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: January 07, 2012, 04:22:56 AM »
Hate to drag this back after a year, but does anyone understand what...whoever is saying in the outro? During the bell part? I cant understand it
We will never know, like in Sentimental Halos...
"We grew with the speed of light but crashed in the night"