September 28, 2024, 04:01:57 PM

Author Topic: 10 Reasons Why We Still Love STP - TORONTO STAR  (Read 11390 times)

detomaso

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
10 Reasons Why We Still Love STP - TORONTO STAR
« on: July 13, 2008, 08:51:35 PM »
7/12/08
Ben Rayner
Pop Music Critic

Oh, what difference hindsight makes.

Once reviled as alt-rock poseurs and Pearl Jam copyists, Stone Temple Pilots stuck around long enough to gain the grudging respect of their former enemies before parting ways a few years ago.

Now reunited with its wayward lead singer, Scott Weiland – who's been slumming in Velvet Revolver for the past few years – the band is arguably the highlight of today's not-bad Edgefest lineup at Downsview Park (for more info, see tinyurl.com/6dk5eo).

STP's impressive catalogue of hits never went away in its absence, though, suggesting that guitarist Dean DeLeo was on the money a few years ago when he ventured to me: "I think we've written a few songs that you'll still be hearing on the radio 25 years from now. We'll make a pretty good Rhino Records collection." Let's take up the argument again today:

Scott Weiland

Not only is ol' Snake Hips a dynamite frontman, he also looks freakin' great for a repeat offender with a self-destructive thirst for hard drugs.

"I live my life the way I live my life," he told the Los Angeles Times this week. "I don't have to make any apologies."

Just say "yes," kids!

"Vasoline"

You knew something good was up with Stone Temple Pilots when this towering riff-rocker rumbled out as the lead single to their fine second album, Purple.

"Creep"

They stole the title from Radiohead and the melody could be accused of biting Pearl Jam, but Weiland's sensitive-boy bellowing on the chorus ("I'm half the man I used to be!") is pretty indelible.

They're an ass-whuppin' live band

Seeing STP perform was what initially settled my own internal debate about them. They write big, arena-ready rock songs and they know how to wield 'em properly. Plus, they've got a bewitching girly-boy prancing around in front of them the whole time.

"Big Bang Baby"

This glam-bang track came as a bit of a surprise at the time, but now makes total sense as an early assertion of Weiland's true colours. The rest of the band always seemed less at ease with their inner Bowies, but its singer had obviously spent a lot of time staring at the cover of Aladdin Sane.

"Big Empty"

The prom ballad.

They were the first band to be accused of ripping off Pearl Jam

They'd shake off some of those criticisms soon enough, but even if Stone Temple Pilots had never properly earned its stripes, at least it got in line ahead of Creed, Days of the New, Staind and the rest of the horrors to come.

Take that, Scott Stapp!

"Interstate Love Song"

Unapologetic, AM-ready classic rock. It just sounds like it's been around forever. But in a good way.

"Down"

Sludgy metallo-rocker from 1999's No. 4, the STP record most audibly scarred by the Weiland-related turmoil within the band.

"Sour Girl"

Because every band eventually writes a song that your mother will like, too. And wasn't that Buffy the Vampire Slayer frolicking with Weiland in the video? Mmm.

StoneTempleBrett

• AlternativeNation.net & STPfans.com
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • Pooper Scooper
    • View Profile
    • AlternativeNation.net
Re: 10 Reasons Why We Still Love STP - TORONTO STAR
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2008, 09:19:57 PM »
STP's Creep was on Core (released 1992) Radiohead's Creep was on Pablo Honey (released 1993).  I think this writer may be a dipshit.

STP Shows: 5/1/08, 6/24/08, 12/31/08, 7/1/09, 5/25/10, 6/5/10, 10/29/10, 9/22/12, 5/30/13, 9/1/13
Velvet Revolver Shows: 7/22/06, 9/15/07
Scott Weiland Shows: 12/14/08, 12/8/11

Lazy Divey

• Pink love fuzz
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • Kid'll eat ivy too, wouldn't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2008, 10:25:27 PM »
Quote from: "StoneTempleBrett"
STP's Creep was on Core (released 1992) Radiohead's Creep was on Pablo Honey (released 1993).  I think this writer may be a dipshit.

Now now...we all know STP stole the song title from TLC

Silvergun Picture Show

• They Call Me Phil.
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • Buy a minute, spend an hour burnin' burnin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2008, 11:20:27 PM »
Quote from: "Lazy Divey"
Now now...we all know STP stole the song title from TLC

haha yah and TLC's version is way better...NOTTTTTTTTT
STP: 08/22/10 - Cleveland, OH.
        08/28/10 - Pittsburgh, PA.

"Some of my finest hours have been spent on my back veranda, smoking hemp and observing as far as my eye could see."
-Thoman Jefferson

Peebs

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • Ghetto Fabulous
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2008, 12:23:58 AM »
Creep could be a tie.

Both were released as singles in 1993.

I'm voting TLC.

:p
If you don't like STP, then you're pretty much not American (from a MO message board)

stpnj2008

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2008, 01:11:20 AM »
Can't believe Wicked Garden didn't make the list, that song kills live.

MedicBarbie

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2008, 02:02:07 AM »
Not only is ol' Snake Hips a dynamite frontman, he also looks freakin' great

LMAO!!!

I'll drink to that!

(and that's about the only reason I don't think this guy is a total @ss.)

I don't vote for TLC cuz I think that Scott is much more buster bad ass than Left-Eye.  :P

AdhesiveLove27

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2008, 02:25:04 AM »
^Scott makes Left Eye look like a princess!!!

I also enjoy Scott's dancing.. it should have made it higher up the list!
\\\"If You Don\\\'t Stop Thinkin\\\' Soon You Will Be Drinkin\\\' And You\\\'re Better Off Just Stay

Eddypus14

• Contributors
  • Co-Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2008, 03:28:57 AM »
"Hello, Scott.  Left-eye here.  Listen, my man is really pissing me off and I just don't know what to do"

"Burn his house down, you say?  Damn scott, you one chilly gangsta"
Keep a dime for the truth you might tell.

Ptak

• Contributors
  • Flight Attendant
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2008, 08:44:35 AM »
This ben rayner guy seems like a douche.

kilter

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2008, 05:24:31 AM »
wow, did anyone read this guy Ben Rayner's review of the show? It was surprisingly negative after this "10 reasons" list.. an excerpt:

"Something about Edgefest had obviously riled Stone Temple Pilots frontman Scott Weiland, too, who sashayed onstage in a black-leather suit in reasonably good vocal form to the first strains of "Big Empty" but soon sounded like he was deliberately sabotaging tunes like "Big Bang Baby," "Sour Girl" and "Tripping on a Hole in a Paper Heart" with sneeringly awful, off-key performances.

There were enough complaints from the stage about "psychedelic conditions" and the fact that it was "midday" (it was after 8), not to mention a sarcastic invitation to Linkin Park's Chester "Benson" (it's actually Bennington) to join STP for a tune, that one could deduce there might have been some bruised egos involved in Stone Temple Pilots' second-from-the-top Edgefest billing. Whatever the case, STP's fawning crowd didn't deserve to be treated with open contempt and to a half-assed set after standing in the rain in silence for a good chunk of the evening.

Linkin Park has its believers though and the Sam Roberts Band was its usual, amiable self while churning out slightly hippie-fied guitar-rock jams in the late afternoon. Stone Temple Pilots' washout was thus a blip on the program, while the mostly punk-rock lineup on the second stage – which gave some welcome space to indie acts such as Toronto's the Coast and Modernboys Moderngirls and Montreal's Creature – wound out in fittingly furious fashion with the Flatliners.

There was more audible griping about the beer situation than the weather or Weiland at Edgefest 2008, so with a few tweaks this institution might have found its new dream home at Downsview. Please, though, do some tweaking."

yikes!

http://register.thestar.com/entertainme ... cle/459556

Sledgehammers of Truth

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2008, 05:32:57 AM »
Yes STP's Creep did predate Radiohead's by a short bit.  Both are great songs though.  I don't even mind TLC's Creep.

hawk900

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2008, 06:38:23 PM »
Didnt weird al yankovich cover creep as well??? LOL
Hawk.

wayne gretzky

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 15, 2008, 08:39:59 PM »
This guy is clueless .. really .. was he really there? i guess he doesnt know that Scotts friends with Chester?? talking about how great the venue was .. 3hours lines for beers, not enough bathrooms .. oh yeah it was great ...

VeiledTrickerySTP

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 16, 2008, 08:27:58 PM »
I love how these writers put Pearl Jam up to these lofty levels. What a joke. How long had Pearl Jam been around at the time Core was released? Mainstream wise, not very long. I'm so tired of the Pearl Jam comments in these reviews. STP has outdone PJ by a mile.