September 27, 2024, 09:18:40 PM

Author Topic: STP pulled from BMG Music Club  (Read 9719 times)

erichoholic2k1

• Contributors
  • Flight Attendant
    • View Profile
STP pulled from BMG Music Club
« on: July 04, 2008, 09:35:18 PM »
Not sure if anyone cares, or even if anyone subscribes to CD clubs anymore, but I noticed today that STP are no longer available in any way, shape or form.

I noticed because I had the Family Values Tour CD in my cart for a couple weeks, and finally went to buy it, but every trace of STP is long gone. Ah well.

Peebs

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • Ghetto Fabulous
    • View Profile
Re: STP pulled from BMG Music Club
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2008, 02:05:00 PM »
You know...
My sister used to work for Bertelsmann(for 30 years). Actually so did I in the early 90's when it was still called Doubleday Book and Music clubs. The German Company started swallowing up all the other book and music clubs after buying Doubleday in 86 (random house, book of the month club etc...) like a big pac man machine.
I didn't think CD clubs still existed in the age of i-tunes.

interesting....
If you don't like STP, then you're pretty much not American (from a MO message board)

Garrett

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2008, 01:00:01 AM »
I'm still kinda embarrassed that STP was even involved with the Family Values tour. 

Six7Six7

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2008, 02:27:08 AM »
Quote from: "Garrett"
I'm still kinda embarrassed that STP was even involved with the Family Values tour. 

MTV's Return of the Rock tour with Godsmack and Disturbed was pretty horrible too.

But at least they were the headliners then.

loungefly611

• The Other Scott
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
    • Scott 'The Madness' Stessl
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2008, 12:48:49 PM »
Quote from: "Garrett"

Something about this comment bothers me. Granted, not everyone (probably no one) cared for anyone else on that bill (except for me), but comments like these make it seem that we as STP fans feel that other modern bands are not worthy to be on the same bill. Or that we as fans feel that we are better then fans of Staind or Linkin Park because we feel that the music from our band is better. Maybe I am just misinterpretting the statement. 

Embarrassed that they were on the same bill? Would you rather them be on a nostalgic 90's tour? With STP being on a tour with modern rock bands like Linkin Park and Disturbed, they open the doors for younger kids to hear their music and expose themselves to a new audience. I would absolutely HATE for them to be stuck in a tour of 90's bands to play for the old burnouts from that era. (With the ONLY EXCEPTION if they did a co-headliner tour like they did with the Red Hot Chili Peppers, or with the likes of Pearl Jam, Alice In Chains, or Smashing Pumpkins, who are still relevent in the music scene) Certainly if you are not a fan of the other bands, you'll bitch and complain, but you are ultimately there to see STP anyway. So there should be no reason to complain. Except about the setlist ;)
Dedicated. Disgusting. Disturbing.

I'm just sittin' on this merry-go-round, and the music is too loud..

MedicBarbie

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2008, 07:55:47 PM »
I have to say I saw the Family Values tour and I had a good time.  :)  It was a good show for sure!!!

BUT, I like Linkin Park (Faint is my favorite :P)  and Disturbed (oooh Prayer, Stricken, Perfect Insanity, Remember).  :D  AND, I also like PJ, AIC and Smashing Pumpkins as well as RHCP.  I would die if I got to see PJ, AIC (although not the same without Layne, no offense anyone), AND STP?!?!?! OMFG!

Yeah, Linkin Park and Disturbed are a little heavier than STP, so maybe that's the issue?

I'm a metal chick from early on.  :D

In fact, Chester Bennington has cited STP as one of his influences.  ;)

nickfas54

• Contributors
  • Flight Attendant
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2008, 08:54:49 PM »
The CD of Family Values Tour is pretty good i really like wonderfull with Chester from Linkin Park

erichoholic2k1

• Contributors
  • Flight Attendant
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2008, 02:14:10 AM »
Aside from "Creep" and "Wonderful", did STP do any other collaborations on the Family Values tour?

nickfas54

• Contributors
  • Flight Attendant
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2008, 02:45:03 AM »
the cd also has vasoline and wicked garden

jermthefan

• Contributors
  • Co-Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2008, 06:24:08 AM »
I loved the Family Values Tour. Static X was great. Staind was ok. Aaron Lewis has no personality on-stage though. Linkin Park was great. Deadsy was even pretty good. STP blew the fuckin roof off of the place when all was said n' done. I couldn't believe Scott and the Dixie cup though LMAO. Wearing the American flag like a pair of Underoos??? Ahhhhh...... PRICELESS!!!

loungefly611

• The Other Scott
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2008, 06:05:52 PM »
Quote from: "MedicBarbie"
Yeah, Linkin Park and Disturbed are a little heavier than STP, so maybe that's the issue?

I'm a metal chick from early on.  :D

In fact, Chester Bennington has cited STP as one of his influences.  ;)

There are a TON of modern rock bands that cite STP as their influence. Papa Roach is another. That totally caught me by suprise. I saw them cover Sex Type Thing and they fuckin NAILED it. Hell, when Jacoby lost his weight, he started to resemble a young Scott.

I don't see the heaviness of the music being a issue. I think that on a whole, STP can cover so much ground from heavy rockers to psychedelic numbers to soothing ballads. STP is such a diverse band that maybe some fans think that STP should tour with the other bands that should be able to follow suit. I don't think many of the modern bands of today have found that niche yet. Or, that may not be their cup of tea either. Linkin Park has started to expand their sound on Minutes To Midnight, which is a fantastic album I feel. Most diehard LP fans hate it because it doesn't sound like Hybrid Theory or Meteora, but I loved it from the first listen. Disturbed is a bit more repetitive, but their albums are usually pretty solid. Two bands that I enjoy immensely from the modern era are Cold and Sevendust. Cold has since split, but Sevendust is an extremely talented band that puts on an amazing live show that rivals STP. I'm suprised they havn't toured together yet.

loungefly611

• The Other Scott
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2008, 06:08:27 PM »
Quote from: "jermthefan"
Aaron Lewis has no personality on-stage though.

Think about it though. Can you picture yourself seeing Aaron Lewis run around the stage like a Scott Weiland? His music is much more somber that if he were to be a wild man on stage, it wouldn't make sense at all.

Olivia

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2008, 06:08:57 PM »
Quote from: "loungefly611"
There are a TON of modern rock bands that cite STP as their influence. Papa Roach is another. That totally caught me by suprise. I saw them cover Sex Type Thing and they fuckin NAILED it. Hell, when Jacoby lost his weight, he started to resemble a young Scott.

Oh man, I would've loved to see that. Honestly, I found Papa Roach to be one of the best bands I've seen live.

nickfas54

• Contributors
  • Flight Attendant
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 13, 2008, 06:50:23 PM »
i believe Papa Roach played sex type thing during their bad boys of rock tour... i hope the play it crue fest this year

Tyrant

• Global Moderator
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 14, 2008, 05:43:07 AM »
Sex Type Thing by Papa Roach:
mp3 stream
Can we really find
A lovely magic place we dream of?

"Well hell, sometimes it is difficult to take a shower with a broken heart" - Scott Weiland