September 19, 2024, 10:09:35 PM

Author Topic: Core topic  (Read 27497 times)

Anonymous

Remaster Core?
« Reply #105 on: December 23, 2004, 10:31:32 AM »
Im being sarcastic!!!!!!!I know it grates some of you people!!!

Anonymous

Core
« Reply #106 on: February 24, 2005, 11:09:33 PM »
:lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

That is so true! I love his songs but envy his (old) writting ability!

Scott is aging so fast its not funny!

Me(hdi)

• Contributors
  • Flight Attendant
    • View Profile
Some of the greats have had false starts...
« Reply #107 on: May 19, 2008, 01:20:47 AM »
I feel every album Scott lends his voice to; Purple, Tiny, 12 Bar, 4, Shangri, Contraband, and Libertad, are masterful rock and roll records.  However, I simply cannot get into Core... the exception being Crackerman and the b-side, Sex Type Thing (swing version).  I have never been a fan of grunge, and indeed Core fits this bill, but my main issue with Core is that it is very generic... all the copycat criticism it received, being more than justified. 

If I were in the STP camp, right around the time of their stylistic departure on Tiny, I would have ever so slightly suggested to the band that during interviews, they disown or slag off Core.  The timing would have been brilliant with their new sound, and if it worked for one of Scott’s idols, one Mr. David Bowie, it can’t be such a bad thing.  Now, with this intelligent piece of PR filtering the minds of journalists, STP might finally have been given critical acclaim by the press, which is something they so direly wanted as a young band, and truthfully, deserved.

I love STP, but I also know when to admit an album is rubbish.  Let the vilification begin...

Cheers,
Me(hdi)

Somba Nova

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
    • http://www.cobhammar.wordpress.com
Re: Some of the greats have had false starts...
« Reply #108 on: May 19, 2008, 01:26:49 AM »
what you just said, is completely insane.
core is a killer record.
In Here, We\'re All Anemic.

Stop That Pigeon

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: May 19, 2008, 01:41:20 AM »
Quote from: "Me(hdi)"
If I were in the STP camp, right around the time of their stylistic departure on Tiny, I would have ever so slightly suggested to the band that during interviews, they disown or slag off Core. 

I hear where you're coming from but TM wasn't a "stylistic departure", more part of a gradual progression. Personally, over the years I've come to appreciate Core much more than I did when I first heard it - as Scott said himself, SLDD (my own favourite) works best in the context of all that went before (Core included). It was a starting point but in no way a "generic" album imho.

Slim Jim

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: May 19, 2008, 01:50:30 AM »
I feel every album Scott lends his voice to; Purple, Tiny, 12 Bar, 4, Shangri, Contraband, and Libertad, are masterful rock and roll records.  However, I simply cannot get into Core... the exception being Crackerman and the b-side, Sex Type Thing (swing version).  I have never been a fan of grunge, and indeed Core fits this bill, but my main issue with Core is that it is very generic... all the copycat criticism it received, being more than justified. 

If I were in the STP camp, right around the time of their stylistic departure on Tiny, I would have ever so slightly suggested to the band that during interviews, they disown or slag off Core.  The timing would have been brilliant with their new sound, and if it worked for one of Scott’s idols, one Mr. David Bowie, it can’t be such a bad thing.  Now, with this intelligent piece of PR filtering the minds of journalists, STP might finally have been given critical acclaim by the press, which is something they so direly wanted as a young band, and truthfully, deserved.

I love STP, but I also know when to admit an album is rubbish.  Let the vilification begin...

Cheers,
Me(hdi)

It's your opinion and so you can admit that Core is "rubbish" to yourself, but not many people will agree. I could say that Tiny Music is rubbish and give you some stupid opinions. Personally, I love all their albums for different reasons. I like that "raw" sound of Tiny Music. Core is different and I like it. Every album has evolved from the previous one. I can't imagine, after a six year hiatus what the next album would sound like. That's what makes STP the best. Everyone has a wide assortment to pick and choose their favorite and their least favorite, which in your case seems to be Core. Listen to Core when you want to hear loud, booming vocals and thundering hard rock with great melodies. For a lot of people it's their favorite.
"Families is where our nation finds hope, where wings take dream." - George W. Bush

Me(hdi)

• Contributors
  • Flight Attendant
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: May 19, 2008, 01:54:07 AM »
Regardless of your take on the merits of Core, you have to admit, that album is the reason for all the media's backlash on the band. Some might say, well "To hell with the press, they are all failed musicians in their own rights."  Indeed this may be true, but in numerous interviews during the early to mid period of STP, each and every member had stated words to the effect of "It really hurt us when the media bashing began."  I am just saying that they could possibly have been seen in a positive light by the critics and their peers, had what I suggest, been said.  Then again, maybe they would have been bashed more than ever?

Cheers,
Me(hdi) 

detomaso

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: May 19, 2008, 01:56:20 AM »
IMO, Core is their best album.

Different strokes for different folks. 

S.I.N

• Contributors
  • Co-Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: May 19, 2008, 02:00:37 AM »
This is just my take on it....

All of my favorite bands are 1 very musically talented and able to pull it off live. 2nd they progress and are never stale with their sounds. This is definitely the case with STP. As a band you'll always have a certain sound but you have to grow that through your career. To move this along back to the original topic I feel that Core was a very solid start for this band and they took that and grew around it. I think they progressed maybe a little further from the sound of Core because of all the unfair criticism they got out of the gate. I think Core is a very good record especially for the time and a strong start only falling due to acknowledged unfair criticism.

The criticism was only due to the fact that the scene and industry was flooded with bands that had a similar sound or scope. That is just a fact of the world today ($$$). That doesn't mean STP copied anyone... that was just the band at the time and it was in my opinion a very valid beginning. The songs rock... It's hard for me to understand a fan of the band really dissing Core... it is the CORE of the band... Long enough rambling rant on my end... lol

I suppose I'd have to note that I like a good deal of those "grunge bands" AIC, Soundgarden, (FUCK Pearl Jam after "Ten"... now let the vilification begin!!)

tetro

• Ground Personnel
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: May 19, 2008, 02:50:40 AM »
Core is a great album, but I do agree it's not their best work.  Sure it has some of their biggest hits, but I think purple and No. 4 have more heart. 

tommygunn

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: May 19, 2008, 03:42:45 AM »
If it wasn't for Core (and the success of it) there wouldn't have been any Purple, Tiny Music..., No.4, Shangri-La Dee Da, etc.

B)

VeiledTrickerySTP

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: May 19, 2008, 05:18:59 AM »
Quote from: "tommygunn"
If it wasn't for Core (and the success of it) there wouldn't have been any Purple, Tiny Music..., No.4, Shangri-La Dee Da, etc.

B)

Definitely. Core allowed STP the artistic freedom they enjoyed for every subsequent album release.

BrianLev

• Contributors
  • Co-Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: May 19, 2008, 06:29:50 AM »
I loved Core when I first got it but seeing how much they grew artistically, it's easily their weakest record. Still a strong one, but by comparison weak.

justbill

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: May 19, 2008, 07:28:59 AM »
I always favored the Core album, that and especially NO.4 without them albums, wow?! What would I be listening to. . .
-Bill_

MAZZA26

• Co-Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: May 19, 2008, 11:28:07 AM »

Cheers,
Me(hdi)

I don't think Core is a rubbish album but it's certainly not worthy of more than a 3 star rating.  This is my opinion anyway:
Core was the last album I purchased after becoming an stp fan around 2001.   Perhaps it was because I loved Tiny Music, No.4 and Purple - to me Core has a thunderous production to it, which is great - but the album isn't consistent.  Dead and Bloated, Wicked Garden, Sex Type Thing, Crackerman, Piece of Pie are all great songs - the rest of the album i'm not a fan of - in fact if they carried on releasing albums similar to core then that would have been it for me.  I can understand why people love it - especially if they got into the band from the start - it probably gives the fan fond memories of their past, perhaps there is a connection, but to me looking at it from a neutrals perspecitive it's fairly one-dimensional.  I mean although Dean is not a guitar shredder and we don't expect solo's from him left-right and centre his guitar work on purple, tiny music ect.... is far more interesting - apart from Wicked garden and sex type thing (with the various layers - muted parts ect which enhance the songs) it's nothing special from a guitar perspective - later on however we find out that Dean Deleo is special, ironically though he tends to give-up on that heavy guitar sound (a sound I like) but of course the songs are far more different/varied later on.  I suppose what i'm saying is even though core is their "heavy" album - it could have been far better - but that's where they were at the time and full credit to them.  They are probably one of only a few bands that have made better albums as they progressed (barring shangri-la...)