October 01, 2024, 03:47:27 AM

Author Topic: stp maybe to st upp a new record label  (Read 35816 times)

christie1991

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
Re: Record Company Woes
« Reply #105 on: July 13, 2008, 08:31:45 PM »
When I was at the Detroit show, Rocco was videotaping I believe the whole show.  He kept getting in my way:)  If any of you bought VR's Libertad CD + the bonus DVD, Rocco is the one who filmed it.  I've seen Scott put Rocco's name under the thank you part of CD's (STP & VR I think).  Maybe they will put out a live DVD.  I didn't see anyone taping in Akron.

oldman

• Flight Attendant
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: July 13, 2008, 10:18:40 PM »
Quote from: "STEAK"
Every live show is probably on DVD somewhere collecting dust...

Actually a whole lot of it ends up on the internet and/or in the hands of bootleggers. You'd be shocked to see how many CDs and DVDs of your favorite bands (STP included) you can find at local flea markets and swap meets aside from the online trade. The bands that record and sell their own shows are being really smart 'cos the stuff gets out there anyway and this way they have some control over quality all the while retaining full copyright. Hopefully STP and others will feel more confident that the market is out there for that and will start producing these "custom" live CDs. A few bands do it already but I'd like to see some larger acts using their own labels for direct releases like this.

CMCracker

• **Bad Girl**
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: July 14, 2008, 05:09:31 AM »
I found a bootleg of VR in rockford IL on ebay for like 10 bucks!!  it is awesome to see the shows I've been to
♪♫Give you all those diamonds, Give you more and more, Shattered all those lies, I bought You from the record store ♪♫

Tyrant

• Global Moderator
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: July 14, 2008, 05:27:34 AM »
Quote from: "oldman"
Actually a whole lot of it ends up on the internet and/or in the hands of bootleggers. You'd be shocked to see how many CDs and DVDs of your favorite bands (STP included) you can find at local flea markets and swap meets aside from the online trade. The bands that record and sell their own shows are being really smart 'cos the stuff gets out there anyway and this way they have some control over quality all the while retaining full copyright. Hopefully STP and others will feel more confident that the market is out there for that and will start producing these "custom" live CDs. A few bands do it already but I'd like to see some larger acts using their own labels for direct releases like this.
As far as I know these bands are Pearl Jam and Linkin Park.
Can we really find
A lovely magic place we dream of?

"Well hell, sometimes it is difficult to take a shower with a broken heart" - Scott Weiland

Atlantic

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: July 14, 2008, 04:15:35 PM »
I just listened to an interview of Dean from before the Rock on the Range reunion show happened, and when asked:

"With the current state of the record industry, would you guys sign w/ a label or work on a distribution on your own?"

He replies "It's a bit of a legal situation, a couple guys from the band are still signed to Atlantic, but everything's negotiable, I suppose. I love the fact that the power is really back in the hand of the artist, yak know. Record labels really bury themselves, ya know, they do not stay current with the wave of technology, and I shed no tears for them."

Lanche

• Arrival
    • View Profile
Re: stp maybe to st upp a new record label
« Reply #110 on: July 15, 2008, 12:17:24 AM »
What management company does STP use now?

I know they were still with Q-Prime for SLDD, but seeing as how unhappy they were, I'm sure they have changed again.

Tyrant

• Global Moderator
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
Re: stp maybe to st upp a new record label
« Reply #111 on: July 15, 2008, 10:22:46 PM »
we want to be free agents,whether its putting out our records out ourselfs or doing some interesting,very creative deal with a non traditional major record label.
Th only "non traditional major record label" I know is Chester's LEVEL 7, that will release Julien-K's and Dead By Sunrise's (Chester's solo) albums.
Can we really find
A lovely magic place we dream of?

"Well hell, sometimes it is difficult to take a shower with a broken heart" - Scott Weiland

cgg

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
Scott Weiland on STP's future
« Reply #112 on: October 22, 2008, 08:08:04 PM »
"I don't know where things are gonna go with STP," he said. "It was sad to find out that we're still in some way locked in a contract with Atlantic Records, which is a travesty, actually. If it ends up being that we have to, you know, make a certain amount of records for Atlantic in order to be free, then I don't know if I have that in me."

http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbe ... mID=107439
STP 2008 - Las Vegas 6/14  Baltimore 8/10

STP 2011 - Belleville 7/22

Album 2 Track 5

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
Re: Scott Weiland on STP's future
« Reply #113 on: October 22, 2008, 08:16:42 PM »
Well that really doesn't surprise me.  I'm thinking he is REALLY excited about his album coming out and just wants to focus on that, his solo career.  I'm hoping it will be good for him.  :)  Sad for STP but good for him.   
"I\'ve been suicidal since God I don\'t know when, so get down on your knees say a prayer say amen.

STPGurl

• Original Bad Girl
  • Cardinal
  • Sky Captain
  • Sucker for SRW
    • View Profile
    • SWBGC
« Reply #114 on: October 22, 2008, 08:18:35 PM »
That's a damn shame.  Isn't this the same reason Poe hasn't released a record since '01?  Fuck these labels.

I thought this was interesting:
Weiland will release his second solo effort, "Happy in Galoshes", on November 25 through his own Softdrive label, with a single called "Missing Cleveland" headed to radio two weeks earlier.

Does this mean that we can expect to be hearing "Missing Cleveland" in about ten days or so?  I'll be excited to hear what kind of project Adam's going to have for the street team with the release of the new single.  :D
How could they not notice it?! Because it's a little mint.  It's a Junior Mint!

Lazy Divey

• Pink love fuzz
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • Kid'll eat ivy too, wouldn't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: October 22, 2008, 08:21:27 PM »
The original contract was 8 records right?  Well they have 6 now if you count Thank You...they just need to release another album and a live album maybe to get out of atlantic's clutches

StoneTempleBrett

• AlternativeNation.net & STPfans.com
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • Pooper Scooper
    • View Profile
    • AlternativeNation.net
« Reply #116 on: October 22, 2008, 08:50:41 PM »
Just do it Scott Jesus Christ.  Would it fucking kill him to make another STP studio record or two for Atlantic?  You know what, I think it's official, this tour= moneygrab and runnnn.  I will not buy "Happy in Galoshes" or see him live until it is guaranteed that STP has a future, because it's been made clear the other members want to record, and I'm not buying his Atlantic contract bullshit.  Is it really that terrible to record for Atlantic?  How about doing it for STP fans Scott?  Your fans that have put up with a lot of shit over the years.  This all just is pissing me off, we were promised a new album at the beginning of the tour and now he's just going to ditch STP.  I hope the die hard Scott fans in this thread don't flame me, don't get me wrong I love Scott too, but I'm not going to pay for his solo stuff if he's not going to give us a new STP record.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2008, 09:00:12 PM by StoneTempleBrett »

STP Shows: 5/1/08, 6/24/08, 12/31/08, 7/1/09, 5/25/10, 6/5/10, 10/29/10, 9/22/12, 5/30/13, 9/1/13
Velvet Revolver Shows: 7/22/06, 9/15/07
Scott Weiland Shows: 12/14/08, 12/8/11

STPGurl

• Original Bad Girl
  • Cardinal
  • Sky Captain
  • Sucker for SRW
    • View Profile
    • SWBGC
« Reply #117 on: October 22, 2008, 09:01:11 PM »
Quote from: "StoneTempleBrett"
Just do it Scott Jesus Christ.  Would it fucking kill him to make another STP studio record or two for Atlantic?  You know what, I think it's official, this tour= moneygrab and runnnn.

I think there's more to it than that.  I know that Dean and Rob are OUT of their contract with Atlantic.  I certainly don't know how things like this work... but with two members of the band out of contract and two in... I think that makes for a complicated situation.

If they WERE to release another album under Atlantic, would that mean that Dean and Rob would have to resign/sign a new contract?  If so, clearly that wouldn't be in the best interest of the band.

I really think that Eric and Scott are going to do all they can to remove themselves from their obligation.  I very, very much doubt they'll be releasing anything with Atlantic.
How could they not notice it?! Because it's a little mint.  It's a Junior Mint!

StoneTempleBrett

• AlternativeNation.net & STPfans.com
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • Pooper Scooper
    • View Profile
    • AlternativeNation.net
« Reply #118 on: October 22, 2008, 09:03:48 PM »
Quote from: "STPGurl"
I think there's more to it than that.  I know that Dean and Rob are OUT of their contract with Atlantic.  I certainly don't know how things like this work... but with two members of the band out of contract and two in... I think that makes for a complicated situation.

If they WERE to release another album under Atlantic, would that mean that Dean and Rob would have to resign/sign a new contract?  If so, clearly that wouldn't be in the best interest of the band.

I really think that Eric and Scott are going to do all they can to remove themselves from their obligation.  I very, very much doubt they'll be releasing anything with Atlantic.
I just wish Scott would work harder and there have been very unflattering rumors about him during this tour and from everything I've read all the other guys have indicated it's up to Scott in regards to a sixth STP studio album.  They reunited and I think they owe us an album, they cannot go out this way.

STP Shows: 5/1/08, 6/24/08, 12/31/08, 7/1/09, 5/25/10, 6/5/10, 10/29/10, 9/22/12, 5/30/13, 9/1/13
Velvet Revolver Shows: 7/22/06, 9/15/07
Scott Weiland Shows: 12/14/08, 12/8/11

Aaron

• Global Moderator
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: October 22, 2008, 09:08:28 PM »
I will not buy "Happy in Galoshes" or see him live until it is guaranteed that STP has a future, because it's been made clear the other members want to record, and I'm not buying his Atlantic contract bullshit. 
That is rather immature and spiteful.  "Happy" has nothing to do with STP.  Did you refuse to purchase VR or AoA until STP put out another record too?  Obviously there is a feud between Atlantic and STP, there are demands and lawsuits going back and forth.  How do you not "buy it"?  I dont see your rationale here. 

Is it really that terrible to record for Atlantic?  How about doing it for STP fans Scott?  Your fans that have put up with a lot of shit over the years. 
I dont think you really understand record labels.  They often creatively restrain artists from releasing the music they want to release.  You might want to read up on how record labels operate before you attack any band for not wanting to work with them.  I cant wait for the day our boys are free of Atlantic.  I guarantee you, if STP is ever able to release a CD NOT under a record label, you would enjoy it much more than otherwise. 

This all just is pissing me off, we were promised a new album at the beginning of the tour and now he's just going to ditch STP.  I hope the die hard Scott fans in this thread don't flame me, don't get me wrong I love Scott too, but I'm not going to pay for his solo stuff if he's not going to give us a new STP record.
We were never promised a new CD. Period.  Its always been "a possibility"
« Last Edit: October 22, 2008, 09:32:21 PM by Aaron »