September 28, 2024, 05:43:33 PM

Author Topic: stp maybe to st upp a new record label  (Read 35773 times)

Danger Stepp

• Ground Personnel
    • View Profile
Re: Record Company Woes
« Reply #75 on: June 13, 2008, 06:48:48 PM »
Scott, drop that solo album and fix this. STAT.

Aaron

• Global Moderator
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: June 13, 2008, 07:04:50 PM »
Quote from: "thejackal"
Good point.  I should have stated there is never anything definite with regards to POSITIVE news.

LOL.  agreed.

erichoholic2k1

• Contributors
  • Flight Attendant
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: June 13, 2008, 10:33:51 PM »
They can't just release a B-Sides or live album (or both) and end this petty little feud?

CMCracker

• **Bad Girl**
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: June 13, 2008, 10:36:16 PM »
Quote from: "erichoholic2k1"
They can't just release a B-Sides or live album (or both) and end this petty little feud?
i would buy a b side cd
♪♫Give you all those diamonds, Give you more and more, Shattered all those lies, I bought You from the record store ♪♫

Peebs

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • Ghetto Fabulous
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: June 14, 2008, 01:02:41 AM »
Well according to the law suit they just want material from Scott and Eric?
OK record a vocal/drum album and slap the master right on the head honchos desk and tell them "Sell this fucker".
If you don't like STP, then you're pretty much not American (from a MO message board)

stpwkdgrdn

• Contributors
  • Co-Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: June 14, 2008, 01:55:37 AM »
They should film a live cd/dvd at Jones Beach and release it .  Plus, what about all of their Shangri La movies?  B-sides.  There has to be an easy way out of this. 

How many hours/albums were they signed for>

detomaso

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
"...certain that a new album from the band will be available soon."
« Reply #81 on: June 14, 2008, 04:40:43 PM »
Woohoo!!!!!! :D

NEW YORK (Reuters) - Alternative rock band Stone Temple Pilots said it was surprised by a lawsuit from its record label this week, and hopes to return to the studio to record a new album soon.

Warner Music Group Corp.'s Atlantic Records label on Thursday sued the band's lead singer Scott Weiland and drummer Eric Kretz for trying to end their recording contract early.

"Stone Temple Pilots were deeply disappointed to see that Atlantic filed a surprise lawsuit against two members of the (group) when they were in the middle of what were believed to be cordial and positive discussions about (Stone Temple Pilots) returning to the studio to make a new album after 5 years," the group said in an e-mailed statement late Thursday night.

The group, known for hits like "Sex Type Thing" and "Interstate Love Song," rose to fame in the 1990s and all four members reunited last month for their first national tour in eight years.

According to the lawsuit, filed in U.S. District Court in Manhattan, the record company wants the band to record a seventh album and deliver up to two more albums if the record label decides they want them.

The suit claims that Weiland and Kretz threatened to stop performing under their contract and have indicated they want to end the agreement unless Atlantic makes significant changes.

"Should everyone operate in good faith, (STONE TEMPLE PILOTS) are certain that a new album from the band will be available soon," the band's statement said.

"The precipitous filing of this action is yet another example of the difficulties facing artists in the new music environment, as relationships between artists and their labels fall further and further apart."

The band, whose momentum was often curtailed by Weiland's drug problems, had fallen apart shortly after a 2002 tour and the other two members of the group, guitarist Dean DeLeo and bassist Robert DeLeo, were released from their recording contract in late 2003 and were excluded from the lawsuit.

(Reporting by Emily Chasan; Editing by Derek Caney)

Art School Boy

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
Re: "...certain that a new album from the band will be available soon."
« Reply #82 on: June 14, 2008, 07:10:59 PM »
sweet deal i just hope they get all their complications straightened out.
i am smellin like a rose that somebody gave me on my birthday deathbed

Silvergun Picture Show

• They Call Me Phil.
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • Buy a minute, spend an hour burnin' burnin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: June 14, 2008, 10:15:07 PM »
yah us and everyone else here on the board!
STP: 08/22/10 - Cleveland, OH.
        08/28/10 - Pittsburgh, PA.

"Some of my finest hours have been spent on my back veranda, smoking hemp and observing as far as my eye could see."
-Thoman Jefferson

cfest27

• Contributors
  • Flight Attendant
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: June 17, 2008, 12:45:30 AM »
I think I might have posed this question before but what do you think will be the style or direction of the new album? Fortunately they are so versatile they could potentially have a very well rounded album when it comes out

Atlantic

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: June 17, 2008, 01:05:59 AM »
I thought STP originally had a 5-album contract deal with Atlantic, or something like that. This link says that the band owes Atlantic what would be their new album, followed by two more. Did STP ever renew their contract or something?

And yeah, couldn't Scott and Eric just release a side-project or solo album or live album and end this shit?

Hoodstock

• Contributors
  • Co-Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: June 17, 2008, 02:01:02 AM »
Can't wait!
Hoodstock

CMCracker

• **Bad Girl**
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: June 17, 2008, 02:42:20 AM »
Quote from: "Atlantic"
I thought STP originally had a 5-album contract deal with Atlantic, or something like that. This link says that the band owes Atlantic what would be their new album, followed by two more. Did STP ever renew their contract or something?

And yeah, couldn't Scott and Eric just release a side-project or solo album or live album and end this shit?
i know..right i think all of us would buy that..it would be so easy for them to make money
♪♫Give you all those diamonds, Give you more and more, Shattered all those lies, I bought You from the record store ♪♫

Volant9353

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: June 17, 2008, 06:41:41 PM »
IF they actually did let Dean and Rob out of their contracts in 05 or so, they did so b/c they thought that going forward they could no longer make money off of NEW stp recordings. But its 2008 and things have changed, this tour has been a massive success, STP songs are getting a ton of radio play, and the buzz around the band is huge....thus STP is profitable again so they see having Scott and Eric still under contract as a way to keep controll of STP. The good news here is that a new album is most likely coming and in business, suing is a way of negotiating. Linking Park and their label sued each other a couple years ago, they renegotiated and their last album made allot of money for guys in the band and the record label. Atlantic did screw them in terms of promoting SLDD, but 01 was a different time, if they can work it out and somehow get guaranteed promotion budget and recording expenses, and so to speak get Atlantic pregnant with their product, they will have to promote it.
“I don't know where I'm going from here, but I promise it won't be boring.” - David Bowie

Rocketboy

• Cardinal
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
Scott and Eric Sued By Atlantic!
« Reply #89 on: June 20, 2008, 04:53:58 AM »
Rik and Ivy, you kids are slippin' in the news dept. :)
Atlantic Records Sues Stone Temple Pilots’ Weiland, Kretz

They may have just reunited, but two members of the Stone Temple Pilots are already facing a lawsuit from Atlantic Records. The label alleges that frontman Scott Weiland and drummer Eric Kretz are trying to prematurely end their contract and stop touring unless Atlantic makes significant changes to their old deal. Now that STP has voiced their intention to record another album, Atlantic wants in, as well as the two other albums the band owes the label. Dean and Robert DeLeo were not named in the suit, as Atlantic dropped them in 2003 so they could pursue other projects.

In a statement released this morning, the band says, “Stone Temple Pilots were deeply disappointed to see that Atlantic filed a surprise lawsuit against two members of the legendary band STP when they were in the middle of what were believed to be cordial and positive discussions about STP returning to the studio to make a new album after five years. Despite the allegations in the complaint, the band never threatened anything more than remaining away from the studio until equitable terms could be arranged. The precipitous filing of this action is yet another example of the difficulties facing artists in the new music environment, as relationships between artists and their labels fall further and further apart.

Eric and Scott have not yet been served and hope that Atlantic will allow cooler heads to prevail, and have the courtesy of shelving this action to permit negotiations to continue in a positive spirit rather than under a dark cloud of hostility. Should everyone operate in good faith, STP are certain that a new album from the band will be available soon. Should Atlantic instead pursue this scorched earth policy towards the band, the ultimate victims will be STP’s fans, who will never be able to enjoy a new album from the group.”
Rolling Stone
The whole thing sounds like bullshit on Atlantic's part.