October 04, 2024, 02:31:28 AM

Author Topic: Supporting Scott  (Read 22842 times)

thejackal

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
Re: I will continue to defend Scott Weiland...
« Reply #60 on: June 06, 2008, 07:27:54 PM »
I am positive nobody here has ever been rude, short tempered, or sarcastic to anyone they know, like, or have a relationship with.  It is quite clear that famous people should NEVER do the same with some obnoxious person they don't even know.

Peebs

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • Ghetto Fabulous
    • View Profile
Re: I will continue to defend Scott Weiland...
« Reply #61 on: June 06, 2008, 07:48:55 PM »
No. I wasn't raised that way.

EXCEPT...don't EVER screw up my coffee order in Duncan Donuts or Starbcuks.
I am very serious about my cawfee. LOL ;-)
If you don't like STP, then you're pretty much not American (from a MO message board)

loungefly611

• The Other Scott
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
    • Scott 'The Madness' Stessl
Re: " i dont care about stp or vr but i care about scotts well- being"
« Reply #63 on: August 14, 2008, 05:08:32 PM »
I like how right next to this 'commentary' is the information about the upcoming show.

Odd way to sell a show, ya think?
Dedicated. Disgusting. Disturbing.

I'm just sittin' on this merry-go-round, and the music is too loud..

wayne gretzky

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: August 14, 2008, 05:18:20 PM »
im just findin all this lil' article humorous

STPGurl

• Original Bad Girl
  • Cardinal
  • Sky Captain
  • Sucker for SRW
    • View Profile
    • SWBGC
« Reply #65 on: August 14, 2008, 05:22:18 PM »
WTF?

Are all these "journalists" so lost in the mid to late '90's that they just can't get over the Scott uses/ed drugs thing?  Um...

...and I've never heard of 80% of these "publications" that they're written in.
How could they not notice it?! Because it's a little mint.  It's a Junior Mint!

wayne gretzky

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: August 14, 2008, 05:25:04 PM »
heres a snippet i found, form the same paper,  in describing "the Artic Monkeys"

"Arctic Monkeys, who have conquered the British charts with their debut singles and album, can be seen as the Stone Temple Pilots to Franz Ferdinand’s Pearl Jam. If Franz bandmates are icons of a new trend in British rock, the Monkeys reaffirm the success of that aesthetic while subtly removing some of the elements that made it a refreshing break from the arena rock standard. Like Stone Temple Pilots, Arctic Monkeys are a sturdy if unimaginative rock combo who bash through the modern-rock clichs of their day"

ahh i love it

AdhesiveLove27

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: August 14, 2008, 06:21:33 PM »
It sounds like this guy had a deadline to make so he just pulled this bullshit out of his ass... It's sick :(
\\\"If You Don\\\'t Stop Thinkin\\\' Soon You Will Be Drinkin\\\' And You\\\'re Better Off Just Stay

weilandfan

• My username says it all
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: August 14, 2008, 08:15:39 PM »
WHat is going on with "journalists" today??? They seem more & more to be putting out real stupid senseless pieces & its making me glad I didn't become a journalist like I wanted to in High School... sad sad work!! And who's running these publications, and saying "Oh, great work, PRINT IT!!" well, at least it wasn't a TOTAL bash on him... but still.

Stop That Pigeon

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: August 14, 2008, 08:28:28 PM »
Quote from: "wayne gretzky"
heres a snippet i found, form the same paper,  in describing "the Artic Monkeys"

"Arctic Monkeys, who have conquered the British charts with their debut singles and album, can be seen as the Stone Temple Pilots to Franz Ferdinand’s Pearl Jam. If Franz bandmates are icons of a new trend in British rock, the Monkeys reaffirm the success of that aesthetic while subtly removing some of the elements that made it a refreshing break from the arena rock standard. Like Stone Temple Pilots, Arctic Monkeys are a sturdy if unimaginative rock combo who bash through the modern-rock clichs of their day"

ahh i love it

I'm always guilty of taking these things too seriously but, honestly, I rather like this comparison except that it's the wrong way round imho.

I would say that, whereas Arctic Monkeys are a pretty talented, worthwhile & interesting example of modern rock (as in Pearl Jam), Franz Ferdinand are on a different level entirely due to their exemplary musicianship, melodic & harmonic flair and vast range of influences including a subtle jazz sensibility (as in STP).

But, yeah, I should probably just get out more...*grins*

lovemachine97

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: August 14, 2008, 08:42:13 PM »
I love that the word "unimaginative" is used to describe STP compared to Pearl Jam.  I like Pearl Jam, I have all their records, and have seen them in concert once.  I am nowhere near as fanatic about them as STP, but even if I take the fact that I am a musician out of it, anyone with a brain can see how repetitive PJ has gotten, and how much STP experiments, yet STP is unimaginitive?

Anyway, as far as "journalist" goes, a line has been blurred between "journalist" and "guy at home in his pajamas watching Maury Povich".  The blogsphere has slowly started eroding away the needle-point edge of the pen, turning it into blunt object that we get beat over the head with until some of us are too stupid to know the difference.

It was fine when Maxim started writing smarmy comments or captions next to photos, or infusing opinion into their articles.  But then it spread like a disease to other, more official publications, like Rolling Stone, which is now basically Maxim II, only with the always predictable Republication-bashing article accompanying the issue where John McCain is somehow compared to Hitler, or some other ridiculously biased "article".  I have even talked to liberals who are tired of Rolling Stone beating a dead horse.

In the meantime, journalists for big-time newspapers started creeping their opinion into their articles through the back door, and now it's hard to read an article and not know which side of the political spectrum the writer shouts from.  Unbelievably, shit actually travels UPHILL in the world of journalism.

Aaron Sorkin, a great screen and television writer hacks away at the hacks in his movies and writings, most recently in Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip (an highly underrated show, btw).  I remember a quote from the show where a character, talking about bloggers and journalists, said, "I'm a fan of credentials. It's like we've all spent the last five years living in a Roger Corman film called 'Revenge Of The Hack'".  What's sad is that in the same episode, the character admits that he "has to care [what they say], because everyone else does".

Okay, I'll step off of my soapbox now.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2008, 08:45:25 PM by lovemachine97 »

STPGurl

• Original Bad Girl
  • Cardinal
  • Sky Captain
  • Sucker for SRW
    • View Profile
    • SWBGC
« Reply #71 on: August 14, 2008, 08:54:01 PM »
That's your second rant of the day!  :)

But I agree 100%.

STP is one of the few bands I can think of that can experiment the way they do and still stay true to themselves and the band as a whole.  Not to mention the fucking live show.  I mean, come on.  Even if you hate STP's music and can't stand Weiland's lyrics, you can't deny the energy and the magic that goes into the live performance.  Even when Scott's off, they still put on a stellar show.  There's just not anyone else like them anymore.  They truly are the one of the last surviving rock bands, IMO.

And the current issue of Rolling Stone (with RDJ on the cover) is the best in a very, very long while.  Actually, I'd even go as far as to call it "good."  Their usual editor must have been out of town or something. 
How could they not notice it?! Because it's a little mint.  It's a Junior Mint!

StoneTempleBrett

• AlternativeNation.net & STPfans.com
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • Pooper Scooper
    • View Profile
    • AlternativeNation.net
« Reply #72 on: August 14, 2008, 09:50:26 PM »
fail.

STP Shows: 5/1/08, 6/24/08, 12/31/08, 7/1/09, 5/25/10, 6/5/10, 10/29/10, 9/22/12, 5/30/13, 9/1/13
Velvet Revolver Shows: 7/22/06, 9/15/07
Scott Weiland Shows: 12/14/08, 12/8/11

lisa6178

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: August 14, 2008, 09:54:05 PM »
Am I missing something?

There doesn't seem to be any news there.

It's just some stupid guy telling Scott to stay clean.

Did they run out of things to print?

Rocketboy

• Cardinal
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: August 14, 2008, 11:08:34 PM »
Guys like this aren't journalists - they're glorified bloggers.