September 12, 2024, 05:50:09 AM

Author Topic: 2008-08-06 - Wantagh, NY - Jones Beach Theatre  (Read 26294 times)

stpfan77

• Contributors
  • Co-Pilot
    • View Profile
Re: STP @ Jones Beach?
« Reply #30 on: June 09, 2008, 12:52:17 AM »
Anybody know when general public tix go onsale? I thought I remembered reading that it was supposed to be next Saturday (the 14th), or maybe even Friday, but that could be wrong.

I went to the Jones Beach Web site, where I notice tickets are for sale ... but they're obscenely expensive, and I notice that you have to buy in blocks of either 2 or 4 (not sure if I want to do that).

I hear J. Beach is a great venue though, and I've never been there. I am seeing the Aug. 8th show in Bethlehem (got my tix for that a while ago) - and I'm slightly worried that there won't be much diversity in the setlists from the 6th to the 8th. However, I DO live in Queens - so it would be kind of silly for me NOT to go to this show. And it'd be nice to count on 2 more STP shows on this tour - instead of 1 (after having been to the Wallingford & Holmdel shows).

I mean honestly, who the heck knows when (or if) we'll see them on the road again after this. Hate to be a pessimist but ... hard to say what's going to happen in the future.
It\'s more or less the same old story
The princess and the whore the lady!

Peebs

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • Ghetto Fabulous
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 09, 2008, 12:56:15 AM »
General Public sale is on the 14th....unless your a amex card holder then you can get them now (even if you don't have a fan club presale code)

tickets are $69.00-$25.00
If you don't like STP, then you're pretty much not American (from a MO message board)

STPHEAD

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 09, 2008, 01:57:20 AM »
Unless there is lightening. Then they will cancel. But plain ol rain...no they won't.

Actually, I saw Bowie at Jones and it was down-pouring and lightning was cracking both sides of the venue against the water during a couple of songs... It was glorious...

As for the venue, I love it, beautiful in August, though the acoustics aren't the greatest and they don't sell beer to the public (no problem, just drink in the parking lot)...
My only exit is a one way out...

Peebs

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • Ghetto Fabulous
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 09, 2008, 02:12:38 AM »
I can think of one show, it may not have been last year that they canceled because of horrific weather. Could have been the year before.

I saw Bowie there too....but it was June 2004 and it was BEAUTIFUL out. But your right about the acoustics. If the wind is blowing in the wrong direction it sucks!
If you don't like STP, then you're pretty much not American (from a MO message board)

adhesive-love

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 09, 2008, 02:42:07 AM »
Peebs, can you confirm if my itinerary is right.

Take the train to Penn station.  From there, I take the LIRR to Freeport and then take the bus to Jones Beach.

After the concert, will there be a lot of buses to take me back to Freeport?  And would there be a guaranteed train back to Penn Station?
I know I want what\'s on my mind.

Peebs

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • Ghetto Fabulous
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 09, 2008, 03:12:32 AM »
The buses are right by the circle in front at Jones Beach. They should be waiting when the concert is over.

But the rest is right. Just look for the train at Penn Station for "Babylon". You won't have to change or anything at Jamaica just stay on that train. To get back to Penn just take the westbound train. There are trains at 11:42 and 12:25. So you should be good. The trains on that line run regularly.

But you can snag a schedule for Freeport at Penn while your waiting.

EclecticBohemian

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 09, 2008, 03:17:14 AM »
My friend lives in Glendale...here, does this help?
http://i249.photobucket.com/albums/gg20 ... apdata.gif[/img]
Know what I\'m thinking?  No?  Neither do I!  ;Þ

Peebs

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • Ghetto Fabulous
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 09, 2008, 04:15:18 AM »
Glendale isn't far from Forest Hills. And there is a LIRR station in Forest Hills.

It's definitely not 2 hours away!

EclecticBohemian

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 09, 2008, 04:40:10 AM »
Well that's a relief!  So it's definitely feasible to take the train to the show?
Know what I\'m thinking?  No?  Neither do I!  ;Þ

Peebs

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • Ghetto Fabulous
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 09, 2008, 11:12:51 AM »
Yep! Anything IS possible ;-)

oldman

• Flight Attendant
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 09, 2008, 04:58:37 PM »
Quote from: "Peebs"
Glendale isn't far from Forest Hills. And there is a LIRR station in Forest Hills.

It's definitely not 2 hours away!

FYI - the train ride is short (especially if you can catch an express train and avoid the stops between Jamaica and Freeport) but the bus....well... let's just say Long Island is not known for it's great public transportation. Leave early and enjoy the beach if you get there too soon. The ocean is a short walk or you can enjoy Zach's Bay which is literally where the Theater is. Jones Beach is a wonderful NY State park (thank you Robert Moses) and a great place to enjoy the day prior to a show. Take it from someone who grew up just a few miles (and a good thumb) away.
As to rain - I wasn't suggesting anyone would "melt" from it - just a warning to bring adequate gear. Oh, and it's an all cement venue so no mud fun. :(
Enjoy!

Peebs

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • Ghetto Fabulous
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 09, 2008, 05:44:31 PM »
I remember when the theater only held about 8000 and had a moat in front of the stage (where the orch sec is now). I saw The Stray Cats there back in the 80's. I still live in the area.

Nassau has a much better bus system than Suffolk. you can basically get to most places in Nassau by bus.

Peebs

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • Ghetto Fabulous
    • View Profile
Anyone who went to PNC and is going to Jones Beach
« Reply #42 on: June 13, 2008, 02:54:56 AM »
From the 92.3 K-Rock email:

Anyone who bought a ticket to the show at the PNC Bank Arts Center and buys a ticket to the Jones Beach show will receive $10 in "Beach Bucks" which may be redeemed for concessions and/or an STP T-shirt. Just bring your ticket stub or proof of purchase to the show and you'll receive your "Bucks" from the customer service table at Jones Beach.

Zotisbot

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
    • http://www.myspace.com/thismachinekillshonkeys
« Reply #43 on: June 13, 2008, 06:47:22 PM »
Yeah ^^^^^^^.  So basically each PNC ticket is like a $40 coupon, which I think is a nice thing for STP to have done for the PNC veterans.  So on that note does anyone want to make me an offer on either 1 or both of the 2 PNC tickets that I have?  I'm obviously not going to the show so...  and I wasn't expecting $80 bucks for these either, but it would be nice to make some money back after spending close to $250 on seeing STP twice already... Don't ask. 

Anyway send me a PM if your interested.

adhesive-love

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
Re: Anyone who went to PNC and is going to Jones Beach
« Reply #44 on: June 13, 2008, 11:20:42 PM »
Quote from: "Peebs"
From the 92.3 K-Rock email:

There is an interview with Dean on Krocks website.  He said you get 10 bucks AND a shirt.  It is near the end.

He also said that they wanted to do a 10 dollar concert but couldn't. :(:(:(
I know I want what\'s on my mind.