October 04, 2024, 12:13:38 AM

Author Topic: Stone Temple Pilots, with Weiland in tow to take off again  (Read 9105 times)

army of ants

• Contributors
  • Co-Pilot
    • View Profile
http://www.columbusdispatch.com/live/co ... ml?sid=101

Q&A
Stone Temple Pilots, with Weiland in tow to take off again
Thursday,  May 15, 2008 11:15 AM
By AARON BECK

THE COLUMBUS DISPATCH

CHRIS PIZZELLO | ASSOCIATED PRESS
Scott Weiland, right, and Dean DeLeo of Stone Temple Pilots
    As reunion shows go, the Stone Temple Pilots gig during the Rock on the Range festival in Columbus Crew Stadium is as high-profile as possible.

A total of 25,000 to 30,000 people are expected Saturday night to see the hard-rock band cap the first of two days of like-minded music.
   (Kid Rock is set to headline the festival Sunday night.)

The stop in Columbus also marks the beginning of a 65-city North American tour, which reunites the multimillion-selling, Grammywinning band - brothers Dean (guitars) and Robert DeLeo (bass), and Eric Kretz (drums) - with vocalist Scott Weiland.

The former Chagrin Falls resident left Stone Temple Pilots early this decade. Then, from 2003 until this year, he fronted Velvet Revolver, featuring three former Guns N' Roses players.

During his initial Pilots stint, Weiland was arrested and jailed for drug- and alcohol-related offenses as well as a domestic-violence charge that was eventually dismissed.

Late last year, he was busted again for driving under the influence and headed back to rehab.

The arrest resulted in a 192-hour sentence.

Three days ago, Weiland reported to jail in Van Nuys, Calif. Just 10 hours later, he was released.

Last week, a couple of hours before Weiland was scheduled to arrive for the first proper rehearsal with the old group, Dean DeLeo spoke from the Stone Temple Pilots studio about the reunion, the tour and his cagey singer.

The vibe since Weiland has returned to the fold, DeLeo said, is "very STP."

"It's like an unmade bed: nasty but comfortable."

Q > Do you make any special preparations for a show in front of 25,000 versus a concert in a theater?
   A > We're just running through some material and rehearsing, but Scott still hasn't shown up for rehearsal.
   Q > Does that give you pause?
   A > It's always scary when it involves him. But we've worked up 35 songs, so he can kind of pick and choose what
we want to do. . . . We've delved into some tracks we've never really even played (live).
   Q > How frustrating is it to spend so much time in such a herky-jerky, start-and-stop mode?
   A > It's not how I like to do things. Unfortunately, Scott does. But, to answer the question: frustrating.
   Q > So why did you reunite?
   A > Money (laughing). If I gave you this story: "Oh, yeah, man, the universe came together . . ." - no. Money.
   But, really, it is amazing to get up and play. I really do have a good time getting up and playing with Robert and
Eric. I just enjoy playing music, and, if I can get paid handsomely for it, I'm in.
   Q > Is there a chance that the band will record an album after the tour?
   A > I'd love to, man. I know we have some nice music in us. I know what I'm sitting on, and I know what Robert is sitting on, and I know where Scott takes it is pretty fulfilling, so I'd love to.
   Q > What is it about Weiland that makes the band? You could have a TV show to audition singers.
   A > We were asked to do that wacky show (Rock Star). They wanted us to be season three. We had a good laugh about it.
   You know, the four of us really, really made this for one another, and I think for any of us to . . . do it without one another would be really, really disrespectful. It is what it is. There's no re-creating STP. I don't think it would be right without any of us.
   Q > But what is it about his voice, style or presence that draws you?
   A > I just know that, when I give Scott a song, I love what he does with it. I'm fulfilled by it, and I just know that when we get in a room to make music it happens quickly and easily. I feel the excitement of giving him a new song to hear what he's going to do with it.
   abeck@dispatch.com

ShirleyTemplesPie

• Contributors
  • Co-Pilot
    • View Profile
Re: Stone Temple Pilots, with Weiland in tow to take off again
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2008, 08:59:05 PM »
Is it just me or is anyone else just a little disappointed how much it seems to be about the money.  I mean I'm super pumped and already shelled out the dough, but.......  Also Scott hasn't even shown up for rehearsal?

Aaron

• Global Moderator
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2008, 09:04:31 PM »
Quote from: "ShirleyTemplesPie"
Is it just me or is anyone else just a little disappointed how much it seems to be about the money.  I mean I'm super pumped and already shelled out the dough, but.......  Also Scott hasn't even shown up for rehearsal?

Yep, the money thing keeps coming up.  We're all aware that they are getting a lot of $$$$ for doing the reunion tour.  They don't need to keep bringing it up. 

The bit about Scott missing/being late for rehearsal is very disheartening though...  I am still very concerned about him pulling off this tour. 

Long Way Home

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2008, 09:24:04 PM »
Horrible, horrible interview. I understand sometimes you have to do what you have to do to live, but this interview makes me sick.

Loungefly89

• Contributors
  • Co-Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2008, 09:33:05 PM »
i guess its always nice to think of the band gettin back together cos of friendship and their love for music, i think it'll kinda take a bit of the nice vibe out of it for me if i'm watchin em play and thinking they are there to earn their mealticket! but at least theyre being honest!

TemplePilot

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2008, 09:38:26 PM »
What a depressing read.

kazuality

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2008, 09:48:27 PM »
MONEY

yeah, all know that this for money, but we're working too for money...

if they do good shows i dont matter if the play for money

sorry my english, i'm from spain
Look I just want to go out sometime you know.  Like normal people, spend time together and enjoy each other's company. Like best friends.  Like lovers that care.  Who actually respect the relationship you know?"

Promising_Boy

• Contributors
  • Flight Attendant
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2008, 09:49:45 PM »
not very optimistic...

Curtis1158

« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2008, 10:31:05 PM »
If Scott hasn't shown up for rehearsal, that is disappointing. And a very bad sign!!!!

Slim Jim

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2008, 11:01:07 PM »
At least we know what this is really about. I'm not too surprised about Scott not showing up. I actually hoped things would be different this time around. I'll just be glad the whole band shows at each gig and plays a decently long setlist.

I'm not too expectant for a new album. They're guaranteed to make good money with the tour, but the album is more of a gamble. I'd definately venture to say they will sell more tickets on this tour then they would sell copies of their next album. Not to sound negative, but based on their past record sales, I'd be surprised and   happy if their next album even went platinum.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2008, 11:08:12 PM by Slim Jim »
"Families is where our nation finds hope, where wings take dream." - George W. Bush

ShirleyTemplesPie

• Contributors
  • Co-Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2008, 11:18:06 PM »
Quote from: "Slim Jim"
I'd be surprised and   happy if their next album even went platinum.
Hardly any rock acts sell platinum anymore.  If they do things differently, get out of their deal with Atlantic, they could potentially make alot of money by selling even 500,000 copies.

tommygunn

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2008, 11:18:42 PM »
I suppose they could bullshit us and say it's not about money.. like other artists do. :D

tommygunn

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2008, 11:27:07 PM »
Quote from: "ShirleyTemplesPie"
Also Scott hasn't even shown up for rehearsal?

Quote from: "Aaron"
The bit about Scott missing/being late for rehearsal is very disheartening though...  I am still very concerned about him pulling off this tour. 

Quote from: "Curtis1158"
If Scott hasn't shown up for rehearsal, that is disappointing. And a very bad sign!!!!

Quote from: "Slim Jim"
I'm not too surprised about Scott not showing up.

Sheesh guys.. did you not actually read the article?

Last week, a couple of hours before Weiland was scheduled to arrive for the first proper rehearsal with the old group, Dean DeLeo spoke from the Stone Temple Pilots studio about the reunion, the tour and his cagey singer.

This interview took place before the first scheduled rehearsal! Chill out...

Son Of Sam

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 15, 2008, 11:33:45 PM »
I agree, this is what they do for a living. It always about getting paid. Its a business ya know. I don't blame them. They get paid and we get our band back together. This isnt the 60's where all those stoners just wanted peace and to get high and didnt care about cash. Its a whole new world.

StoneTempleBrett

• AlternativeNation.net & STPfans.com
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • Pooper Scooper
    • View Profile
    • AlternativeNation.net
« Reply #14 on: May 15, 2008, 11:36:04 PM »
I don't give a fuck if it's about money, as long as they're together it's all fine with me.

Eric said they're making an album in an interview with phillyblurbs.com, and even says when they'll likely record:

What does the future hold for STP beyond this tour?
We’re going to be doing this tour for about five months, then Scott’s going to put out his solo record around October. Then either right before or right after the holidays, we’re going to start on a new record.

STP Shows: 5/1/08, 6/24/08, 12/31/08, 7/1/09, 5/25/10, 6/5/10, 10/29/10, 9/22/12, 5/30/13, 9/1/13
Velvet Revolver Shows: 7/22/06, 9/15/07
Scott Weiland Shows: 12/14/08, 12/8/11