June 30, 2024, 07:25:37 PM

Author Topic: Rolling stone magazine STP.  (Read 9038 times)

errol

• Ground Personnel
    • View Profile
Re: Rolling stone magazine STP.
« Reply #15 on: May 14, 2008, 08:12:05 AM »
Rolling Stone is utter crap

tatiana

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 14, 2008, 12:54:19 PM »
Quote from: "crackerdude"
I'll be honest and say I have no complaints with that cover. Atleast Maroon5 or Fall out Boy are not on the cover.

even though maroon 5 and fall out boy are both debatable as "music" - they are more so than four bimbos from an mtv realtiy series about girls coming from daddy's money.
Born free. Now I\\\'m Expensive.

wayne gretzky

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 14, 2008, 02:32:59 PM »
As for the show, its huuuge, thats why those girls are on the cover, RollingStone is somewhat of a music mag but i think it music credibilty keeps sliding

VeiledTrickerySTP

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 14, 2008, 04:03:04 PM »
Quote from: "TemplePilot"
Do you have a link for this stat?  I understand you hate this show, and I understand why.  I've never seen it and I hate it.  But you can't trivialize it's success just because you don't like it.

Also, its a cable TV show, they never pull high shares.  Even pop culture staples like the Daily Show don't really pull massive overall numbers.
Either way, its one of the biggest successes in MTV, so its going to get big press.

The way the business works is that networks like MTV pay rags like Rolling Stone to act like their shows/"celebrities" are hits when they really aren't. Same thing for record labels paying MTV to act like their band is cool. Remember Vanilla Ice? Wow, MTV loved him and then they suddenly turned on him. Same thing for the boy bands.

MTV's highest rated show wouldn't come close to being a high rated show on any other cable network.

thejackal

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 14, 2008, 04:07:30 PM »
Rolling Stone was a music mag just as MTV was music television.  Not so much anymore.

Promising_Boy

• Contributors
  • Flight Attendant
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 14, 2008, 05:53:44 PM »
Rolling Stone was a music mag just as MTV was music television.  Not so much anymore.

I totally agree

TemplePilot

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 14, 2008, 06:02:35 PM »
Quote from: "VeiledTrickerySTP"
The way the business works is that networks like MTV pay rags like Rolling Stone to act like their shows/"celebrities" are hits when they really aren't. Same thing for record labels paying MTV to act like their band is cool. Remember Vanilla Ice? Wow, MTV loved him and then they suddenly turned on him. Same thing for the boy bands.

MTV's highest rated show wouldn't come close to being a high rated show on any other cable network.

You keep running in circles with me.  Rolling Stone isn't being paid to say this show is a hit by MTV.  It is a hit, and I checked, because I knew a 1.0 share had to have been a biased made up stat, the show averages a 4.0 share with five million viewers a night, and the season premier for this year is the highest rated cable telecast so far in 2008.  It is a hit.  And that is why it gets so much press.  MTV is no longer a music channel, it is a pop culture avenue and little else.  Which is why RS covers it, because they're no longer a music rag, they're a pop culture one.

And yes, I'm well aware that a hit on MTV does not carry the same weight as a hit on CBS.  But as far as cable TV goes, and I hate it too, it is on top.

STPfanATIC

• Contributors
  • Flight Attendant
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 14, 2008, 06:37:56 PM »
Quote from: "thejackal"

i couldn't have said it better myself

VeiledTrickerySTP

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 14, 2008, 07:21:28 PM »
You keep running in circles with me.  Rolling Stone isn't being paid to say this show is a hit by MTV.  It is a hit, and I checked, because I knew a 1.0 share had to have been a biased made up stat, the show averages a 4.0 share with five million viewers a night, and the season premier for this year is the highest rated cable telecast so far in 2008.  It is a hit.  And that is why it gets so much press.  MTV is no longer a music channel, it is a pop culture avenue and little else.  Which is why RS covers it, because they're no longer a music rag, they're a pop culture one.

And yes, I'm well aware that a hit on MTV does not carry the same weight as a hit on CBS.  But as far as cable TV goes, and I hate it too, it is on top.

Why would it be of benefit to Rolling Stone to display D level celebrities who are known only to those who watch MTV? Hence why money was probably exchanged from MTV to Rolling Stone to give press to unknown people who are not celebrities. Rating aside, why would they feel the need to put these girls on the cover? Why not put the winner of Survivor: Fans vs. Favorites on next week too?

My point is that much like MTV has a "pay to play" policy (which I thought was illegal), so too does Rolling Stone have a "pay to press" policy in place.

TemplePilot

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 14, 2008, 07:54:49 PM »
Because you are not aware of them does not mean no one else does.  These girls are wildly popular right now, and many of them have run the gamut on the late night circuit.  I recognize their faces and I've never even seen the show.  I'm sure less famous faces have graced the cover of this rag but even if there haven't been, you know as well as anyone else that sex sells.  Rolling Stone is a business, and they're in the business of big numbers to yield bigger ad sales.  Sad fact of reality, popular MTV icons are going to sell more issues on a news stand than Scott Weiland is going to.  You're making accusations and passing them off as fact here just like you did before just because you don't like both of these outlets, so where did you read that Rolling Stone's cover stories are up for sale (though I would hardly be floored if they were)?

Aaron

• Global Moderator
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 15, 2008, 08:45:15 PM »
I'd just like to point out that you two are arguing about "The Hills"....

:)

TemplePilot

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 15, 2008, 09:35:55 PM »
No we aren't.

Somba Nova

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
    • http://www.cobhammar.wordpress.com
« Reply #27 on: May 16, 2008, 08:45:48 AM »
Because you are not aware of them does not mean no one else does.  These girls are wildly popular right now, and many of them have run the gamut on the late night circuit.  I recognize their faces and I've never even seen the show.  I'm sure less famous faces have graced the cover of this rag but even if there haven't been, you know as well as anyone else that sex sells.  Rolling Stone is a business, and they're in the business of big numbers to yield bigger ad sales.  Sad fact of reality, popular MTV icons are going to sell more issues on a news stand than Scott Weiland is going to.  You're making accusations and passing them off as fact here just like you did before just because you don't like both of these outlets, so where did you read that Rolling Stone's cover stories are up for sale (though I would hardly be floored if they were)?

whoa....
pwned.
In Here, We\'re All Anemic.

Joshua

• Ground Personnel
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 17, 2008, 01:20:49 AM »
Rolling Stone sucks these days. I'm a registered democrat and even I'm sick of all the republican bashing everytime I pick one up. I mean...I get it, they obviously don't support any republicans. Why do they need to beat that dead horse every single damn issue. I mean 2 things about magazines are certain - Oprah will be on the cover of hers and RS will have an anti Republican comment on their cover followed by a 15 page story inside. I am so tired of magazines and bands pushing politics on mindless little drones who believe everything they say.

I say let kids figure it out for themselves. Rolling Stone is a propoganda magazine that paints Barack as Superman. That cover when they had Kanye depicted as Jesus was it for me. It has just got to a very ridiculous point.

What happened to the music? they are to busy taking pictures of what Ashlee Simpson and Pete Wentz are up too. They push the shittiest music too. STP is to good to get credit from them. Wow...sorry about the rant.

Somba Nova

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
    • http://www.cobhammar.wordpress.com
« Reply #29 on: May 17, 2008, 01:33:02 AM »
i pretty much agree with everything you just said there.
In Here, We\'re All Anemic.