September 19, 2024, 10:07:52 PM

Author Topic: 2008-05-20 - Cleveland, OH - State Theatre  (Read 22046 times)

loungefly611

• The Other Scott
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
    • Scott 'The Madness' Stessl
Re: 2008-05-20 - Cleveland, OH - State Theatre
« Reply #75 on: May 21, 2008, 08:04:50 PM »
Quote from: "Aaron"
Thats interesting about the ISL flub.  We'll see in the coming weeks if its intentional or not I suppose. 

What has the flub been on ISL?
Dedicated. Disgusting. Disturbing.

I'm just sittin' on this merry-go-round, and the music is too loud..

live2cd

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
    • Facebook.
« Reply #76 on: May 21, 2008, 08:32:12 PM »
Reading all of your reviews makes me so happy STP is back together. God I love this band.
-Dewey

Somba Nova

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
    • http://www.cobhammar.wordpress.com
« Reply #77 on: May 21, 2008, 08:44:06 PM »
Quote from: "BrianLev"
It'd be great to hear a recording of "Too Cool Queenie"... Here's to hoping someone bootlegged it!
speaking of which. has anybody found any bootlegs yet?
In Here, We\'re All Anemic.

tatiana

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: May 21, 2008, 09:06:03 PM »
Long may he run -- and the reunited STP along with him.
amen!
Born free. Now I\\\'m Expensive.

thejackal

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: May 21, 2008, 09:13:05 PM »
I am curious as to the ILS mess up as well.  He has always ended it different live ("you said to me" instead of "I said to you") than the recorded version in the past if my memory serves me correct.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2008, 09:27:52 PM by thejackal »

rymo84

• Contributors
  • Co-Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: May 21, 2008, 09:24:42 PM »
I wonder how many of these other "flubs" that have been brought up in the past few days are intentional. You mention ILS, I also saw they didn't do the extended "aliii yei yei yei yei ve" on Wicked Garden, and they didn't in Columbus either. Maybe they just decided to shorten some longer songs. The more shows they play should start to reveal what they are intentionally changing vs. what are "screwups".

Silvergun Picture Show

• They Call Me Phil.
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • Buy a minute, spend an hour burnin' burnin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: May 22, 2008, 12:46:20 AM »
I went into the show last night with expectations that they would exceed saturday's performance at ROTR.

Could I have ever been so right....

The crowd was def. better just as Robert said this was the first show with actual hardcore STP fans. The state theatre was a great venue and STP sounded so good in there. I was going absolutly crazy when they played my favorite STP cut- Silvergun Superman...It sounded amazing!!! It was no since to hear Silvergun Superman, Too Cool Queenie, and Sin. Scott was all over the place the stage dancing like there was no tomorrow. The James Brown jam was very cool. As was the little jam Robert and Dean did when Eric's bass drum pedal malfunctioned for a little bit. It was so awesome how Scott let the crowd sing the last verse in Plush. It reminded me of the video of them doing the same thing at Rolling Rock 2001. Glad I was able to get to do the same thing!!

The night only got better after my friend and I went to White Castle then we were coming back to get where we needed to be to leave the city. When we saw their buses and people around them so we decided to stop. Scott was leaving in a cab and a driver in a van told us he was going to a bar called Betty's around the corner. So my friend Jason and I walked over with a few other people. We looked in and there he was with his fedora hat. He was at the bar talking to someone so my friend and I waited. He then went out to have a smoke and was on the phone so I asked one of the crew members he was with if it would be cool if i could say hey and get a picture.  He didn't think it would be a good idea because he was in the middle of something. So after awhile I took matters into my own hands and went out to see what was going on. Scott was on the phone beside the building and he walked back over and I just said hi and started talking to him. I just told him I loved the show, Silvergun was the best part, told him ive been a fan since tiny music...he smiled and started laughing and said "really?" I said I guess I fit in that category of younger kids into STP's music. "he said yah that's what i've been saying alot of of you younger kids are getting into our band, which is awesome." Someone he knew from around the area probably came up to him and started talkig to him and then he looked back over at me and I just told him i went to ROTR on saturday and that it was a real great show as well and that I got some great shots of him and the band and I showed him one and he laughed and said "oh yah man thats kool" I then asked him for a picture and he made sure it was a good picture before we shook hands and told him thanks. I was surprised he talked to me for that long. He was really cool...I think he has been drinking a little bit because he was wobbling when I was showing him my pictures haha. I hope he has just been drinking and no more drugs because i wish him the best and respect him so much.
STP: 08/22/10 - Cleveland, OH.
        08/28/10 - Pittsburgh, PA.

"Some of my finest hours have been spent on my back veranda, smoking hemp and observing as far as my eye could see."
-Thoman Jefferson

Somba Nova

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
    • http://www.cobhammar.wordpress.com
« Reply #82 on: May 22, 2008, 03:08:49 AM »
thats awesome dude. its been a dream of mine to actually meet scott in a situation like that. it would just be awesome to just chill for a couple minutes and talk to the guy. kind of sucks that he seemed drunk or whatever though, seeing as how thats basically what got him all that court trouble awhile ago.
In Here, We\'re All Anemic.

tatiana

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: May 22, 2008, 04:20:05 AM »
totally cool silvergun...
Born free. Now I\\\'m Expensive.

Wicked Gardener

• Contributors
  • Co-Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: May 22, 2008, 05:31:53 AM »
I was at the show last night as well and while the setlist that was posted earlier has all the correct songs, it was a little bit out of order. This is the order they played the songs in:

1- Big Empty
2- Wicked Garden
3- Big Bang Baby
4- Silvergun Superman
5- Vasoline
6- Lounge Fly
7- Lady Picture Show
8- Sour Girl
9- Creep
10- Crackerman
11- Plush
12- Interstate Love Song
13- Too Cool Queenie
14- Coma
15- Down
16- All In The Suit That You Wear
17- Sex Type Thing
*ENCORE BREAK*
18- Sin
19- Dead And Bloated
20- Trippin' On A Hole In A Paper Heart

stpfan77

• Contributors
  • Co-Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: May 22, 2008, 05:53:04 AM »
One thing I can't help but notice early on here, now that 3 shows have passed - both of the Rock Radio Festival type and the intimate small-arena type ... what happened to the acoustic mini-set that they always used to do in the middle of the show?

Now they just bust out Sour Girl and Creep and go right back to rocking out. Anyone else find this odd?

If they're going to play a 20-song set, I'd love for them to do the 4-5 songs in the middle stripped down. There are so many other great songs of theirs that would be perfect in this setting that they would just never play plugged in and cranked up to 10, such as:

Wonderful
Hello It's Late
Black Again
Atlanta
I Got You
And So I Know
Still Remains (okay, so this one would work electrically, but would also be great unplugged for a change)
Seven Caged Tigers (see above example)
Pretty Penny
Adhesive (I know a ton of people would love to hear this song period - acoustically OR electrically)
Dancing Days
Revolution

Hell even play Plush or ILS acoustic to keep things fresh, and free up more room in the electric set for lesser-heard gems like Heaven & Hot Rods, Long Way Home, Glide, Army Ants, Naked Sunday, etc.

This all might be yet to come - I know it's only 3 shows down and like 50-some to go. I just hope they really use their expansive catalog of music and imagination in their performances to the best of their ability.
It\'s more or less the same old story
The princess and the whore the lady!

live2cd

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
    • Facebook.
-Dewey

MAZZA26

• Co-Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: May 22, 2008, 11:42:28 AM »
Quote from: "stpfan77"
One thing I can't help but notice early on here, now that 3 shows have passed - both of the Rock Radio Festival type and the intimate small-arena type ... what happened to the acoustic mini-set that they always used to do in the middle of the show?

Now they just bust out Sour Girl and Creep and go right back to rocking out. Anyone else find this odd?

If they're going to play a 20-song set, I'd love for them to do the 4-5 songs in the middle stripped down. There are so many other great songs of theirs that would be perfect in this setting that they would just never play plugged in and cranked up to 10, such as:

Wonderful
Hello It's Late
Black Again
Atlanta
I Got You
And So I Know
Still Remains (okay, so this one would work electrically, but would also be great unplugged for a change)
Seven Caged Tigers (see above example)
Pretty Penny
Adhesive (I know a ton of people would love to hear this song period - acoustically OR electrically)
Dancing Days
Revolution

Hell even play Plush or ILS acoustic to keep things fresh, and free up more room in the electric set for lesser-heard gems like Heaven & Hot Rods, Long Way Home, Glide, Army Ants, Naked Sunday, etc.

This all might be yet to come - I know it's only 3 shows down and like 50-some to go. I just hope they really use their expansive catalog of music and imagination in their performances to the best of their ability.

You make a good comment regarding playing a chilled out acoustic mini-set however, I saw the foo fighters at the O2 arena in London and they did a similar thing - in fact it lasted for over 30 minutes - but to be honest it got boring, especially as half of the time they were joking around, now don't get me wrong that's all very cool and that, but they wasted a lot of time when they could have played at least 3 more songs.  Bands like foos and stp have an extensive back-catalogue, so better to play hidden gems like heaven and hot rods, seven caged tigers, adhesive ect.....and play them like they are on the album! Although I have to say the acoustic version of wicked garden from the mtv show is brilliant!!!!
Another point to make is this - stp sometimes suffer with a lack of extra musicians - i.e how cool does sour girl sound with the violins - hence why when dean plays it just on the acoustic it sounds very bland.  It sounds better as a 4-piece when he plays it with an electric so he can change the settings when the song hits the chorus.  Of course on the album there is that lovely sweeping guitar that he plays in the chorus (fender sounding) - again he is restricted in playing it live.  Songs like Adhesive maybe difficult to perform without an extra acoustic guitarist/trumpet player, Glide would be cool with extra players and even certain rock tunes like  Pops' Love suicide, Tumble in the rough, Unglued, Heaven and Hot Rods, Big Bang Baby ect.... would probably sound better with 2 guitarists.  Of course Dean does an excellent job with these songs live, and so does Rob who tends to beef up his bass to make it sound like an extra rhythm guitar (check out tumble in the rough from stp dvd - great performance) -but it's a bit like jimmy page in led zep - Dean sometimes pays the price for too many brilliant overdubs in the studio (presence album - achilles last stand - that would sound awesome with another guitarist.)
I suppose you could say this about Scott's brilliant vocal melodies in the studio - but it's hard to replicate it live.

Anyway - Still it is brilliant that you guys are getting the chance to see stp live!!!!

loungefly611

• The Other Scott
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
    • Scott 'The Madness' Stessl
« Reply #88 on: May 22, 2008, 01:22:21 PM »
I'm all for a stripped down set. This time around, I would rather see them rock out more then anything.
Dedicated. Disgusting. Disturbing.

I'm just sittin' on this merry-go-round, and the music is too loud..

Long Way Home

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: May 22, 2008, 02:51:14 PM »
I can't wait to hear STPGurl's comments....she probably didn't get to bed until 4am.

That is a great setlist. They always seem to do something a little special for Cleveland.