September 19, 2024, 08:41:36 AM

Author Topic: 2008-05-22 - Chicago, IL - Charter One Pavilion at Northerly Island  (Read 21457 times)

Vaporized

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
Re: 2008-05-22 - Chicago, IL - Charter One Pavilion at Northerly Island
« Reply #75 on: May 23, 2008, 05:04:14 PM »
Quote from: "thejackal"
Weiland has been "sick" skinny for years.  Take a view at the Download Festival with VR in 2004 or 2005.  He is no skinnier now than he was back then.  From what I have heard he sounds great.  I will not judge this entire tour based on the fact Weiland doesn't fly around a stage the way he did nearly a decade ago, which seems to be what many are wanting to do.  That is not a fair comparison imho.  

While I think something is probably "up" with Weiland I only hope for the best that it isn't anything that would cause death or a rehab stint.

He was moving around like a maniac a year ago... not JUST nearly a decade ago.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2008, 05:08:20 PM by Vaporized »
Take it.

STPGurl

• Original Bad Girl
  • Cardinal
  • Sky Captain
  • Sucker for SRW
    • View Profile
    • SWBGC
« Reply #76 on: May 23, 2008, 05:08:44 PM »
Quote from: "Vaporized"
You must value your loot a little less than I, or you make more. $90 for a sweatshirt? $70 is not too bad? REALLY?

Really. 

I am aware of what it costs to print shirts - I have friends in the screenprinting business.  Unfortunately, there's really nothing you can do about it. 

I guess that my last post was a little misleading.  While I DO think that $70 is a fair amount of cash, that's what they were charging.  And I wanted one.  So at that point, you have two choices:  cough up the dough or go home hoodieless.

I had expected to drop some cash at the show, so I made sure to put some cheddar aside beforehand.  I don't really go to that many shows anymore, so I figured I SHOULD treat myself. 
How could they not notice it?! Because it's a little mint.  It's a Junior Mint!

IMJ

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
    • Wave1Collectibles
« Reply #77 on: May 23, 2008, 05:11:21 PM »
From what I have heard he sounds great.  I will not judge this entire tour based on the fact Weiland doesn't fly around a stage the way he did nearly a decade ago, which seems to be what many are wanting to do.

I agree. I mean, I definitely like to see him more active doing the arm swing around the stage, but the fact is that you sacrifice sound quality the more you move around on stage because you are huffing from your movements rather than singing. This is why the vocals suffered during many of the 99-01 shows at times.
STP Shows: 12/12/1996 | 10/12/2001 | 05/17/2008 | 05/22/2008 | 03/20/2010 | 08/20/2010
CheSTP Shows: 04/23/2015
JeffTP Shows: 09/26/2019
Velvet Revolver Shows: 05/19/2004 | 11/21/2004 | 04/29/2005 | 08/13/2005 | 05/10/2007 (w. Slash signed Setlist) | 08/28/2007
Scott Weiland Shows: 05/10/2014 | 11/20/2015

Stop That Pigeon

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: May 23, 2008, 05:13:35 PM »
Thanks for the reviews. Fingers crossed for Scott - it doesn't bother me that he's not moving around so much but I do hope he can last the pace of this tour.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2008, 05:15:25 PM by Stop That Pigeon »

thejackal

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: May 23, 2008, 05:17:23 PM »
One thing is clear, Scotty boy is being held to a standard that will be pretty tough to achieve at this point in his career-clean or not.

Stop That Pigeon

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: May 23, 2008, 05:21:01 PM »
One thing is clear, Scotty boy is being held to a standard that will be pretty tough to achieve at this point in his career-clean or not.

Possibly, but I agree with Vaporized. I saw VR in Glasgow last June and Scott was sensational in every respect. Absolutely tip-top.

loungefly611

• The Other Scott
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
    • Scott 'The Madness' Stessl
« Reply #81 on: May 23, 2008, 05:40:25 PM »
Quote from: "STPGurl"
I didn't think the shirt prices were that bad.  They're the same price as they are on the official website... and $30 is what concert shirts are going for now, anyway.  I also didn't think the hoodie was THAT horribly priced -- my SLDD hoodie (which everyone referrs to as "Old Nasty" - it's beat to hell) was $90.  And that was 8 years ago.

It also depends on the band too. The last T-shirt I bought at a show was a Lacuna Coil shirt in 2006, and I paid $25. Now I remember seeing AC/DC back in 2000, and they were selling their shirts for $30. But I thought at the time, they're AC/DC, they've been around, so I can understand that. But the hoodie is ridiculous. I bought a hoody for $40 or $45 at a show in 2003, and I thought that was crazy then. But, I still bought it and still wear it to this day. But $70 is just insane. Plus, I don't think it was that heavy of a sweatshirt either.
Dedicated. Disgusting. Disturbing.

I'm just sittin' on this merry-go-round, and the music is too loud..

thejackal

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: May 23, 2008, 05:43:14 PM »
I saw him in October and he was excellent as well.  My question is, how "stationary" is he then?  Because he was active in October, but he didn't have the same intensity as far as moving around as the earlier STP days.  I would say he seemed to pace himself a little more for lack of a better way to describe it.  

Is he just standing behind the mic now?

STPGurl

• Original Bad Girl
  • Cardinal
  • Sky Captain
  • Sucker for SRW
    • View Profile
    • SWBGC
« Reply #83 on: May 23, 2008, 05:43:30 PM »
Quote from: "loungefly611"
Plus, I don't think it was that heavy of a sweatshirt either.

Kept me nice and warm in freezing Cleveland yesterday!

It DOES depend on the band, though.  Absolutely.  I'd never spend $70 on a Better Than Ezra hoodie.

Sheesh.  I'm a horrible person for coughing up cash for a hoodie that I liked.  lol.
How could they not notice it?! Because it's a little mint.  It's a Junior Mint!

loungefly611

• The Other Scott
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: May 23, 2008, 05:48:55 PM »
I saw him in October and he was excellent as well.  My question is, how "stationary" is he then?  Because he was active in October, but he didn't have the same intensity as far as moving around as the earlier STP days.  I would say he seemed to pace himself a little more for lack of a better way to describe it.  

Is he just standing behind the mic now?

Last time I saw him was in 2004. True, he wasn't as wild in VR, but he still brought that energy that is Scott Weiland the performer. Yesterday, he basically moved from his mic to either Dean or Rob, back to Eric, then back to his mic. He did stay behind the mic for a good portion of the show. He moved to the far side of the stage for part of Down. That's really it. I'm not asking the guy to do a backflip off the amp. I just want the same energy he always brought to the table. He just looked tired and worn out.

Atlantic

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: May 23, 2008, 05:53:46 PM »
Didn't they jam out to something before Sex Type Thing? My buddy was saying it was a James Brown song or something, I don't even know. Then when they started playing sex type thing, he says "What an appropriate jam before a song called sex type thing"

loungefly611

• The Other Scott
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: May 23, 2008, 05:55:22 PM »
Quote from: "Atlantic"
Didn't they jam out to something before Sex Type Thing? My buddy was saying it was a James Brown song or something, I don't even know. Then when they started playing sex type thing, he says "What an appropriate jam before a song called sex type thing"

Scott, Rob and Eric did the little James Brown diddy while Dean having guitar issues during Big Empty.

Atlantic

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: May 23, 2008, 06:12:25 PM »
Oh, it must have been something else. I know they did SOMETHING before STT, oh well.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vgnymeh6jZA

This is the video of Big Empty unfinished, you can hear Weiland sing a cappella at the very end, then they just started rockin' out to Wicked Garden

loungefly611

• The Other Scott
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: May 23, 2008, 06:23:25 PM »
Quote from: "Atlantic"
Oh, it must have been something else. I know they did SOMETHING before STT, oh well.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vgnymeh6jZA

This is the video of Big Empty unfinished, you can hear Weiland sing a cappella at the very end, then they just started rockin' out to Wicked Garden

I forgot Dean's guitar went in and out BEFORE the solo. So technically, it crapped on him three times instead of the two times I first thought.

Stop That Pigeon

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: May 23, 2008, 08:47:02 PM »
Well, we know everyone's looking out for Scott anyway:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cRHyjbNgw9E

Quick work!