September 17, 2024, 08:21:41 PM

Author Topic: 2008-05-22 - Chicago, IL - Charter One Pavilion at Northerly Island  (Read 21432 times)

Shagin

• Ground Personnel
    • View Profile
Re: 2008-05-22 - Chicago, IL - Charter One Pavilion at Northerly Island
« Reply #105 on: May 24, 2008, 03:14:32 AM »
Quote from: "Drew06"
How crowded was the show? How was the overall vibe of the crowd did they seem into it?

It was pretty packed. The crowd was pretty diverse in types of people and age. I was in the risers, and many people drunk before even getting there, including the section next to me who I swear to god only knew plush. Though the section I was in seemed to be in the zone, soakin' it all in having a great time singing along. I even saw some kids there with their parents, who too, were singing along. It was a beautiful thing.

edit:
On another note, Scott's always been known to say some bizzaro stuff, that is half the fun.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2008, 03:30:13 AM by Shagin »

loungefly611

• The Other Scott
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
    • Scott 'The Madness' Stessl
« Reply #106 on: May 24, 2008, 03:37:58 AM »
Quote from: "Slim Jim"
But Scott just doesn't seem to be completely "present". Seeing that clip where Scott was struggling around the rails, like he's lost, and being held up like he's 70 years old during the Down solo in Chicago, when normally he used to move around (jump, run, gyrate, whatever) and actually get into the music. It doesn't make me feel too good about his current state. I honestly don't know what to make of it. HE'S NOT OLD...he's friggin 40 years old. It's like somebody flipped a switch or something, like he's on sedatives. But even ignoring his mental state, I have to admit that also his body has wasted away over the course of a few short years. He's lost a lot of muscle mass. His presence on stage is weak. From what I've seen, he's not energetic anymore.

I forgot to mention that. He did need alot of help getting down from the railing during Down. He isn't old, but I think all the years of abuse is slowly catching up to him.
Dedicated. Disgusting. Disturbing.

I'm just sittin' on this merry-go-round, and the music is too loud..

loungefly611

• The Other Scott
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
    • Scott 'The Madness' Stessl
« Reply #107 on: May 24, 2008, 03:38:59 AM »
Quote from: "Drew06"
How crowded was the show? How was the overall vibe of the crowd did they seem into it?

The place was very packed. Most packed I've ever seen it. Ages were from teenagers to peeps in their 40s and maybe 50s.
Dedicated. Disgusting. Disturbing.

I'm just sittin' on this merry-go-round, and the music is too loud..

lowlight10

• Contributors
  • Co-Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: May 24, 2008, 04:20:19 AM »
the venue sucks. terrible location (wind ruins the sound), structure and sound.

band is not sharp yet, but i'm fine with that. but they sounded like a $5 cover band for the first few songs, and were really tight the rest of the way. that, combined with my love of the band, makes me believe that the technical difficulties were at fault. I noticed Scott pointing to his IEM and pulling them out several times.

setlist...yes, it was the same as cleveland, but it is a great set I think, other than the opener. Big Empty just doesnt fit as an opener. Vasoline would be much better. Sin was the tightest song they played. Big Bang Baby was the worst.

compared to The Riv (10/10), this was a 3/10 at best. even those 3 points were mostly nostalgia based.

did I mention the venue sucks? I will never go there again.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2008, 04:22:28 AM by lowlight10 »

Blue

• Your Friend
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: May 24, 2008, 04:22:31 AM »
Quote from: "Vaporized"
Towards the end of the set he said "Remember... only 2 shopping days left before Christmas..."

Yeah, he's all together for sure...

You honestly haven't in your entire life said something that sounded good in your head and made no sense once you said it whilst not enebriated?

If screwing up a joke is proof of heroin use then the entire cast of SNL are junkies.
Grab the hate and drown it out...

lowlight10

• Contributors
  • Co-Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: May 24, 2008, 04:25:14 AM »
Quote from: "loungefly611"
He isn't old, but I think all the years of abuse is slowly catching up to him.

definitely, and somewhat expected. as long as he can sing, I dont mind if he plays the rest of his shows in a rocking chair.

tatiana

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: May 24, 2008, 05:25:03 AM »
Towards the end of the set he said "Remember... only 2 shopping days left before Christmas..."

Yeah, he's all together for sure...

i think that's just a bizarre sense of humor...i get it.
Born free. Now I\\\'m Expensive.

Vaporized

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: May 24, 2008, 07:54:13 AM »
Quote from: "Blue"
You honestly haven't in your entire life said something that sounded good in your head and made no sense once you said it whilst not enebriated?

If screwing up a joke is proof of heroin use then the entire cast of SNL are junkies.

Um, yeah but at the same time... I don't fleece people for $50 for tickets to hear me say shit like that and give a half-assed performance.

Look, if he's doing his best... then they shouldn't be out there. If he doesn't give a fuck, then shame on him. You think the other guys would be pissed if they sound good and Scott's still a mess.

I think a few smaller club shows would have been the way to go. Get warmed up. Heading off to do this massive tour with 2 warm up shows and touring for 3 months not the smartest move.

After seeing that, I also think this proves even more it's all about one last chance at cashing in.

Tix for this huge tour go on sale months ahead of time. People buy into the idea that STP is back, buy the tickets, not knowing what they'll sound like. No returns right??? You buy them you either go, sell them, or don't go.

Had they played club shows first or played a few summer festivals before booking a massive tour, if they sounded like this, I'm certain people would have thought twice about buying these tickets.

I myself had seen them 4 times prior to this. My woman had seen them 2 times. A buddy of mine had seen them 3 times and another buddy is a big fan but never had the chance to see them so he was excited.

All of us left disappointed...
« Last Edit: May 24, 2008, 08:00:56 AM by Vaporized »
Take it.

about_nothing

• Contributors
  • Co-Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: May 24, 2008, 11:24:37 AM »
all the comments about things he said is interesting..either he was joking cos he does say some random things sometimes or it was something else, what who knows?? ..im not sure what to think about the video of him on the rail, maybe they were wet from sweat or something, i wouldnt say its cos hes old cos hes not really, he could of been just really exhusted cos isnt Down one of the songs they sing near the end of the night? i do hope hes alright tho if it is anything to do with health
\"You\'re the champion of sorrow. You\'re the love and the pain. You\'re the fighter of evil. Yet yo

thejackal

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: May 24, 2008, 12:12:18 PM »
Um, yeah but at the same time... I don't fleece people for $50 for tickets to hear me say shit like that and give a half-assed performance.

Look, if he's doing his best... then they shouldn't be out there. If he doesn't give a fuck, then shame on him. You think the other guys would be pissed if they sound good and Scott's still a mess.

I think a few smaller club shows would have been the way to go. Get warmed up. Heading off to do this massive tour with 2 warm up shows and touring for 3 months not the smartest move.

After seeing that, I also think this proves even more it's all about one last chance at cashing in.

Tix for this huge tour go on sale months ahead of time. People buy into the idea that STP is back, buy the tickets, not knowing what they'll sound like. No returns right??? You buy them you either go, sell them, or don't go.

Had they played club shows first or played a few summer festivals before booking a massive tour, if they sounded like this, I'm certain people would have thought twice about buying these tickets.

I myself had seen them 4 times prior to this. My woman had seen them 2 times. A buddy of mine had seen them 3 times and another buddy is a big fan but never had the chance to see them so he was excited.

All of us left disappointed...

You keep whining about money, if I send you $50 will you relax?

Also, the Christmas comment is no doubt a sarcastic joke towards the weather.  It went over like a fart in Church apparantly (though I am not sure Vaporized is speaking for the majority) so is it possible that Weiland mentioned the weather again because nobody got his first attempt to comment on it?  If someone takes the Christmas comment literally/seriously they are wound a little tight imho.

Sue

• Ground Personnel
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: May 24, 2008, 02:52:24 PM »
His presence on stage is weak. From what I've seen, he's not energetic anymore. I used to be a fan of another band, actually my second favorite band ever, that went through this kind of thing. They had a short reunion in 1996, did an MTV unplugged show and a few other appearances. Everyone looked 100% into to it except for one person, the singer. That person now is Scott.

I don't like thinking about that. I hope I'm way off on that.
just a guess, Alice in Chains?  If so, Layne was WAY more in distress than Scott is, as far as I can tell--two different animals.

I was at Rock on the Range and I didn't see anything that worried me, I'm seeing them again on the 31st at PNC and as long as the show goes through at Jones Beach in August, that too--I have faith.  I think they just need to shake it out a little bit.  And 40 isn't "old" but I'll tell you what, 40 is NOT the new 30, we flew from NY to LA for Camp Freddy then Ohio for ROTR and it kicked the crap out of me, and I just turned 40.  I can't imagine doing all the traveling they do and having the energy night after night onstage, I can see why maybe it's mellowed.  But I've seen Scott several times a year for the past 4 years with Camp Freddy, VR and STP and he seems fine to me. 

Peebs

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • Ghetto Fabulous
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: May 24, 2008, 03:49:08 PM »
I'm can't help and read this stuff and get a little bummed out. I hope it's just overreaction, but I can't say because I haven't seen them yet. I'm still thrilled I'll be seeing STP but I can't help but worry about Scott.

WHY do people expect 1997 all over again?

I was in Columbus and they sounded awesome. Also I am so happy to see them and I have no expectations.
If you don't like STP, then you're pretty much not American (from a MO message board)

Slim Jim

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: May 24, 2008, 08:09:49 PM »
Quote from: "Peebs"
WHY do people expect 1997 all over again?

I was in Columbus and they sounded awesome. Also I am so happy to see them and I have no expectations.

Nobody expects 1997. But I'd be happy if he showed at least as much enthusiasm on stage as he did with VR. It's really confusing...isn't STP his real love? Shouldn't he at least give as much to STP fans as he did for VR?

The impression that I get personally, is that Scott would rather be somewhere else. I'm not sure he wants to be touring right now. He'd probably rather be in his studio working on his solo music, but the chance to cash in on a STP reunion tour was too great to pass up.
"Families is where our nation finds hope, where wings take dream." - George W. Bush

dog_day_prophet

• Flight Attendant
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: May 24, 2008, 09:03:28 PM »
You all try being the lead singer of Stone Temple Pilots when you're sick, it's 45 degrees outside, and you're right off Lake Michigan.  Scott did an amazing job with the vocals considering all that.  And also try balancing yourself on rails when you're sick.  The band was awesome, Scott was great.  Same presence, a little cooler.

live2cd

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
    • Facebook.
« Reply #119 on: May 24, 2008, 11:19:02 PM »
I think a lot of us are being too hard on Scott. Until there is a complete breakdown on stage, or something major happens - I am just grateful they are playing again.
-Dewey