September 12, 2024, 06:23:25 AM

Author Topic: STP Plan New Album After Tour  (Read 21157 times)

Rik

• Webmaster
  • Administrator
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
    • http://www.belowempty.com
STP Plan New Album After Tour
« on: April 08, 2008, 06:15:59 AM »
Stone Temple Pilots Reunite for Tour

1 hour ago

LOS ANGELES (AP) — After a five-year breakup and nearly eight-year absence from the concert scene, Stone Temple Pilots will reunite for a North American tour.

On Monday, Singer Scott Weiland, guitarist Dean DeLeo, bassist Robert DeLeo and drummer Eric Kretz revealed the details of their 65-city tour, set to begin May 17 in Columbus, Ohio.

"The story's not finished," Weiland told The Associated Press. "There's more to be revealed and more to be told."

DeLeo said the band plans to record a new album after the tour, which is set to wrap in November.

Formed in 1992, the band has sold more than 35 million albums worldwide.

The Grammy-winning rockers celebrated their announcement with a private show in the Hollywood Hills.

They're scheduled to make their first national television appearance May 1 on "Jimmy Kimmel Live!"

Weiland, 40, has been dogged by drug problems since the band's early days. His arrests for drug possession and stints in rehab led the group to cancel tour dates and contributed to their breakup. Weiland pleaded not guilty last month to charges of driving under the influence of drugs stemming from a November car crash.

After Stone Temple Pilots' split, Weiland formed the rock group Velvet Revolver. On April 1, his bandmates — Slash, Duff McKagan, Matt Sorum and Dave Kushner — announced that Weiland was no longer part of the group.

"Among other things, his increasingly erratic on-stage behavior and personal problems have forced us to move on," Slash said in a statement.

Two days later, Stone Temple Pilots announced their reunion.

http://ap.google.com/article/ALeqM5jCWP4f9je8sgBiBj9hUIQlVdizmwD8VTE8MG0

Silvergun Picture Show

• They Call Me Phil.
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • Buy a minute, spend an hour burnin' burnin'
    • View Profile
Re: STP Plan New Album After Tour
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2008, 06:35:24 AM »
This is great great great news!!!! I just got out of a 1.5 year relationship with my gf and this is something to def get my hopes up and be positive!!! 2008 is looking to def be a great year after all

I wanna know so bad when and where the dates are and how the show went!
« Last Edit: April 08, 2008, 06:38:23 AM by Silvergun Picture Show »
STP: 08/22/10 - Cleveland, OH.
        08/28/10 - Pittsburgh, PA.

"Some of my finest hours have been spent on my back veranda, smoking hemp and observing as far as my eye could see."
-Thoman Jefferson

everylilwhore

« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2008, 06:48:08 AM »
Certainly great news, but it's getting a bit ahead of ourselves. Forgive me for being a little pessimistic, but that is an awful long time. I would feel much better if they were recording from the get-go. Just too many things could go wrong.

Sorry to be THAT guy, but someone's gotta be the pessimist of the bunch.

If it makes you feel any better, I was raving the other day about how I was willing to put money on them recording new material if they made it through this tour together; I would LOVE for it to happen, but as any of us longtime fans can attest to, I always look at things with a bit of caution these days.

StoneTempleBrett

• AlternativeNation.net & STPfans.com
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • Pooper Scooper
    • View Profile
    • AlternativeNation.net
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2008, 07:50:02 AM »
This is a time to be optimistic.  After 5 years of nothingness we get a 65 date tour and according to Dean an album!

STP Shows: 5/1/08, 6/24/08, 12/31/08, 7/1/09, 5/25/10, 6/5/10, 10/29/10, 9/22/12, 5/30/13, 9/1/13
Velvet Revolver Shows: 7/22/06, 9/15/07
Scott Weiland Shows: 12/14/08, 12/8/11

thejackal

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2008, 12:26:11 PM »
While I agree we don't need to get ahead of ourselves.....let's just see how the tour goes, I am starting to think that maybe since the guys have gotton a little longer in the tooth they may be more willing just to accept one another for who they are (uhh, Weiland) and enjoy the ride.  No need to conquer the world, just play music and enjoy the twilight of their career. 

Stop That Pigeon

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2008, 12:31:10 PM »
Quote from: "thejackal"
While I agree we don't need to get ahead of ourselves.....let's just see how the tour goes, I am starting to think that maybe since the guys have gotton a little longer in the tooth they may be more willing just to accept one another for who they are (uhh, Weiland) and enjoy the ride.  No need to conquer the world, just play music and enjoy the twilight of their career. 

I agree, well said.

Ivy

• Administrator
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2008, 12:36:48 PM »

Agreed. It's exciting news but I'm not expecting anything. If it happens, that will be amazing. If it doesn't, I'm just thankful for all the music they gave us.
Have a coke and a smile and shut the fuck up.

Long Way Home

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2008, 01:03:26 PM »
This is awesome news. I am with Sean though, cautiously optimistic.

Can't wait to hear about the other 55 or so tour dates (where they will be, what days)? Hope STP.com posts them today.

Aaron

• Global Moderator
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2008, 03:19:52 PM »
Quote from: "Long Way Home"
This is awesome news. I am with Sean though, cautiously optimistic.

Can't wait to hear about the other 55 or so tour dates (where they will be, what days)? Hope STP.com posts them today.

Same here.  I hope for the best, but I'm not getting my hopes TOO far up. 

I said the same thing to a friend the other day as Sean- If they make it through this tour and are still getting along, we should expect a new record.  Hopefully Brendan is still in the wings as well.  Maybe that could be a reason for the tour first, album second. 

loungefly611

• The Other Scott
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
    • Scott 'The Madness' Stessl
« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2008, 03:57:58 PM »
Hell yeah!
Dedicated. Disgusting. Disturbing.

I'm just sittin' on this merry-go-round, and the music is too loud..

STPGurl

• Original Bad Girl
  • Cardinal
  • Sky Captain
  • Sucker for SRW
    • View Profile
    • SWBGC
« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2008, 05:30:27 PM »
I told you guys that I smelled a new album brewing!  The reunion.  The tour.  The album.  How fucking perfect!

Sean, if something happens, I'm blaming your mouth.  =P 
How could they not notice it?! Because it's a little mint.  It's a Junior Mint!

tommygunn

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2008, 05:36:54 PM »
Agreed.. except the 'twilight of their career' part. I mean, look at the Stones. :)

loungefly611

• The Other Scott
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
    • Scott 'The Madness' Stessl
« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2008, 06:19:40 PM »
Quote from: "tommygunn"
Agreed.. except the 'twilight of their career' part. I mean, look at the Stones. :)

Yeah, I saw that too. Whatever. This is more along the lines of the second coming.
Dedicated. Disgusting. Disturbing.

I'm just sittin' on this merry-go-round, and the music is too loud..

thejackal

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2008, 06:37:56 PM »
I'll be happy to edit the post.  :)

White Knuckles

• Contributors
  • Co-Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 08, 2008, 06:39:29 PM »
I was soooooo happy when I saw this.  I too expected a new album after this tour, I'm just grateful it's been confirmed so soon.

And for those that don't like the tour then album plan, this is how I see it.
The touring then album is a great idea, much better than the other way around
If they went right into the studio, they'd need to rehearse and write before they could start recording, and being that they havnt played together in 5 years, I'm sure they all would be pretty rusty, and it would take then some time to get back on the same page, and where they used to be.  Plus if they starting the album process now, I'd be fair and give it 6 months before they write, record, mix, and release the album.  Being that If they made a new album now, they prob wouldnt tour till after that.  So do you really want to wait that long to see them live?  Personally I can't even wait for May 17th!  The way I see it, this tour is a great way for the band to get their chops up, and write new material, who knows, maybe they'll even test out some new songs on this tour.  But I have a feeling that this tour will only speed up the release of the new album, not hurt it.  And instead of them practicing the new album in a rehearsal studio, they're practicing on tour, in front of us, the fans.

Also, I'm a big rage fan... I was extremely excited to see they were getting back together and seeing them live was a nirvana like experience.... BUT they've been reunited for almost a year and, and they just keep playing Festival dates around the world, they have YET to announce any plans for a new album.  STP hasn't even played their first live show (sort of) and we already know an album's coming