September 29, 2024, 02:35:17 AM

Author Topic: 2008-05-02 - Los Angeles, CA - Jimmy Kimmel Live  (Read 44404 times)

wayne gretzky

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
Re: STP on Jimmy Kimmel
« Reply #90 on: May 02, 2008, 02:14:12 PM »
Scotts voice wasnt that strong, and he also forgot to sing one of the lines, maybe used to VR lil' jam they used to do in the middle of Vasoline.  Its sux that every time Scott doesnt perform amazingly well everyone decrees that hes on something, i did the same last nite lol, he seem very chilled, didnt dance much, but still surreal to see them playing 2gether again.

And did anyone see that skit Kimmel did with STP before the show began??? Was great

wayne gretzky

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
Re: 2008-05-01 - Los Angeles, CA - Jimmy Kimmel Live Mini Concert
« Reply #91 on: May 02, 2008, 02:16:30 PM »
Looks like they basically played "purple", shocked that they didnt hit anything from the CORE catalouge .. hope to see more surprises during there tour.

Five Star Edge

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: May 02, 2008, 03:04:03 PM »
Quote from: "wayne gretzky"
Looks like they basically played "purple", shocked that they didnt hit anything from the CORE catalouge .. hope to see more surprises during there tour.

I've seen some setlists on other sites that say they also played "Sin" during the show........I guess time will tell.
I’m here to bleed for all the lust and lonely nights.

Danger Stepp

• Ground Personnel
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: May 02, 2008, 03:04:33 PM »
Quote from: "wayne gretzky"
Scotts voice wasnt that strong, and he also forgot to sing one of the lines, maybe used to VR lil' jam they used to do in the middle of Vasoline.  Its sux that every time Scott doesnt perform amazingly well everyone decrees that hes on something, i did the same last nite lol, he seem very chilled, didnt dance much, but still surreal to see them playing 2gether again.

And did anyone see that skit Kimmel did with STP before the show began??? Was great

I don't know, dude.  He looked pretty out of it.  Oh well, at least they're back together again and overall it was a decent performance.

Aaron

• Global Moderator
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: May 02, 2008, 03:15:29 PM »
Quote from: "thejackal"
I do hope he is ok, but read the Rolling Stone article.  He is saying his voice is a bit frayed at this point.  Until I see the entire performance, I won't pass judgement.  Trippin and Vasoline boarder on singing versus screaming anyway and if the other 3 sounded good, this is a total overreaction.  It does seem that the fans that have posted stuff who saw it live think it sounded good, so it could also be the TV production as well.

Yeah I read that too, but realize that they go on a 65 date tour start in 2 weeks.  If his voice is already frayed before the tour, what do you think it will sound like in couple months???  Scary thought.  Scotts voice was noticably worn.  I noticed it cracked at one point even.  It seems like STP might be rushing into this a bit, and I am slightly concerned. 

On a positive note, check out that setlist!  It was a six song set and they played TWO album cuts?  This is a great sign people.  I would love to see them perform Sin and Silvergun Superman on tour.  If Scott gets in groove we are in for a treat. 

On another positive note, Dean looked amazing.  He was really shredding it up.  Very fiery performance from him, and an AWESOME trippin solo. 

thejackal

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: May 02, 2008, 03:22:00 PM »
I just re watched the performance online.  It was much better than I initially thought and people are overreacting.  As far as his voice, hopefully 8 days of being in timeout will help even just a little.  Whatever, if he stays healthy even with a frayed voice to a certain extent this will be a great tour.

Vaporized

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: May 02, 2008, 03:49:04 PM »
The last time I have seen him look and sound this bad was is when they played Big Bang Baby on Letterman. He even moved the same way during that performance.

I have been around STP too long. I KNOW what is coming next, even though positivity is what is needed right now. It's hard to be positive after seeing that trainwreck of a performance as their debut on late night tv in over 6 years. The other guys looked and sounded great. I just hope Scott doesn't fuck this all up again.

And if ANYONE can tell me this was a good performance and that after seeing that they are stoked for this tour then you need to re-evaluate things. Listen to past STP boots.

This was pretty awful.

Sorry guys, just my opinion...
Take it.

Aaron

• Global Moderator
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: May 02, 2008, 03:55:43 PM »
Quote from: "Vaporized"
The last time I have seen him look and sound this bad was is when they played Big Bang Baby on Letterman. He even moved the same way during that performance.

I have been around STP too long. I KNOW what is coming next, even though positivity is what is needed right now. It's hard to be positive after seeing that trainwreck of a performance as their debut on late night tv in over 6 years. The other guys looked and sounded great. I just hope Scott doesn't fuck this all up again.

And if ANYONE can tell me this was a good performance and that after seeing that they are stoked for this tour then you need to re-evaluate things. Listen to past STP boots.

This was pretty awful.

Sorry guys, just my opinion...

I'm not quite a down on the performance, but I agree.  THis wasnt the blow-your-mind comeback performance I was expecting.  I'm sure there are some jitters, but I think Scott needs to rest and get his voice back first and foremost, and then dance like the STP Weiland we all know and love.  He seemed very nervous and uncomfortable.  Trippin and Vasoline were a bit rough.  Interstate from the small clip we had seemed a little better though.  I agree though, this is usually the Scott we see right before the collapse, and its definitely more of the same Scott I saw in January right before his rehab trip. 

We'll see what happens.  He needs to finish this tour.  If he fucks this up, its going to really damage STP's credibility and his reputation, which he has been doing well to repair the past 5 years.

*Fingers Crossed* for my favorite musician and a terrific frontman. 

Aaron

• Global Moderator
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: May 02, 2008, 04:00:37 PM »
Quote from: "StoneTempleBrett"
I would've filmed it if they'd allowed cameras, but they were strict as shit, heavy searches so didn't bring it in, didn't even bring my phone.  The whole set will go on Kimmel's site, Sin and Silvergun will make you guys splooge your pants.

No doubt.  I got that "tingly" feeling when I just read that they played Sin and Silvergun Superman.  ;)

Ivy

• Administrator
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: May 02, 2008, 04:01:21 PM »
Quote from: "Aaron"
No doubt.  I got that "tingly" feeling when I just read that they played Sin and Silvergun Superman.  ;)

It sucks that they didn't show this on tv. Now that would be amazing.
Have a coke and a smile and shut the fuck up.

Long Way Home

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: May 02, 2008, 04:23:19 PM »
It's interesting that they pretty much stuck to Purple and Tiny Music (other than the sound check). Pumped about Silvergun Superman. That is one of my top 10 STP favorites.

thejackal

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: May 02, 2008, 04:24:37 PM »
If this crashes, STP as we know them are done.

Aaron

• Global Moderator
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: May 02, 2008, 04:25:56 PM »
Quote from: "thejackal"
If this crashes, STP as we know them are done.

Agreed.  They have lots of positive press right now.  They're unquestionably on top of the current rock scene.  They have a long ways to fall if the plane goes down. 

Ivy

• Administrator
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: May 02, 2008, 04:30:43 PM »
I don't think the performance was as bad as I thought it would be. The band sounded awesome...but Scott's voice definitely sounds very strained. I know some people complained that he doesn't move around as much as he used to..but he never does move around a lot on those live talk shows. He just seemed really down and sad...maybe it's because he is going to jail very soon or could be personal problems. When he's on drugs, he acts erratic..so I'm not sure if he's on anything.
Have a coke and a smile and shut the fuck up.

StoneTempleBrett

• AlternativeNation.net & STPfans.com
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • Pooper Scooper
    • View Profile
    • AlternativeNation.net
« Reply #104 on: May 02, 2008, 04:34:53 PM »
Scott's voice really comes off better live than it does on TV, I mean it was a little off but I was there and it looked like he was trying his best and he didn't look loaded at all to me, he looked/sounded a lot better than he did when I saw him in September.  His best vocal performances were Sin and Silvergun Superman, with his worst being Big Empty.

He was probably bummed out because of the jail thing, I'd be pretty bummed to if I was headed to jail, even for 8 days.

STP Shows: 5/1/08, 6/24/08, 12/31/08, 7/1/09, 5/25/10, 6/5/10, 10/29/10, 9/22/12, 5/30/13, 9/1/13
Velvet Revolver Shows: 7/22/06, 9/15/07
Scott Weiland Shows: 12/14/08, 12/8/11