September 29, 2024, 10:36:47 AM

Author Topic: 2008-05-02 - Los Angeles, CA - Jimmy Kimmel Live  (Read 44426 times)

Ivy

• Administrator
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
Re: Silvergun Superman Kimmel on YouTube!!
« Reply #195 on: May 04, 2008, 05:09:30 PM »
You can also download it in the downloads forum.
Have a coke and a smile and shut the fuck up.

thejackal

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: May 04, 2008, 05:35:27 PM »
Fucking awesome.

Curtis1158

« Reply #197 on: May 04, 2008, 05:45:16 PM »
Sounded great. Scott seemed a bit off during the intro and didn't get some notes, but I thought he sang strong.

STPHEAD

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: May 04, 2008, 06:07:57 PM »
Here is also some (22 seconds of) proof of SIN... thanks to Mexicanprincessrose on the STP boards..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b-eijdmACyI

Cell phone video, so be prepared for poor quality.
My only exit is a one way out...

stpfan77

• Contributors
  • Co-Pilot
    • View Profile
Re: STP on Jimmy Kimmel
« Reply #199 on: May 04, 2008, 06:13:06 PM »
I'm brand new to posting here, but have been checking this site out for a few weeks - after soon learning of the STP reunion back in early April. First off - love the site.

STP has been my favorite 90s band ever since Sex Type Thing hit MTV as a breakthrough video in 1992-93. I've seen them live 4 times (Rolling Rock Town Fair 2.0 performance was the best concert experience I've ever had, literally) - and I am planning on seeing them 3 times on this upcoming tour.

Honestly, I was chomping at the bit for weeks about this Kimmel performance. I saw most of the Houdini performance online, and was happy to see that they're breaking out some of the lesser-heard material right from the get-go (like Lady Picture Show, even Big Bang Baby wasn't much of a live staple after the Tiny Music Tour).

I think I'm somewhere in the middle of the road regarding Weiland's performance on Kimmel. Clearly, he wasn't the madman ripping up the stage with pin-point vocal accuracy that we've seen in the past. But to be fair, I think that would have been expecting A LOT to see an in-his-prime Weiland considering that this was only their 2nd live performance since having been broken up for a good 5 years now.

Yes, he looked a little out of sorts and didn't demonstrate the on-stage charisma we've seen in the glory days. And yes, his vocals weren't spot-on 100 percent of the time (he was straining a bit during 'Trippin'). I also saw the Silvergun Superman vid that was just put up on youtube this morning - and you could clearly hear his voice crack toward the end, right around the time Dean's solo kicks in.

But after re-watching the performances a few times - it made me realize how HIGH the bar has been set for these guys. I love STP for many reasons - one of the biggest ones is the fact that they truly are a unique, special experience in a live-show setting. They are the ultimate band's band. Seeing them live is truly a fantastic experience, and it might be easy to take for granted how lucky we as huge STP fans are for having been able to see some amazing performances from them. By most standards, an average or sub-par STP live show is still WAY better than most of what you're going to see from what else is out there right now.

So yes - the Kimmel show wasn't this otherworldly return to glory. There was no bare-chested Weiland owning the stage, there were no megaphone theatrics. But it was just like - Here these guys are again, reunited, getting used to each other. When the tour starts, it'll be on like that - ready to rock. But this was almost more like a testing-the-waters thing. I think to expect much more than that from it is to miss the point of what it was about. They're putting themselves back there into the limelight again. The goal here, I don't believe, was for them to put on a live show to shred all other live shows. I mean honestly, most non-hardcore STP fans didn't even know about this performance, and it aired late at night for people in most time zones.

Having said all that, I can understand the criticism about Weiland seeming a little out of sorts. I leave possible explanations of that up to what's already been proposed in this thread (i.e. possible sickness, just getting reacquainted with his bandmates, having to serve jail time, a rigorous schedule of events like recording solo album, getting kicked out of VR, committing to a 65-date tour with his old band). I mean, this is A LOT to put up with - for anybody (let alone somebody who has battled drug addiction for over a decade). And these guys have aged 7 or 8 years since they were in their prime tearing it up. Let's give the benefit of the doubt. All in all, still a pretty damn good performance. I'm just thrilled they're actually together again, and hope it lasts this time - at least for a while.
It\'s more or less the same old story
The princess and the whore the lady!

Stop That Pigeon

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #200 on: May 04, 2008, 06:14:37 PM »
Quote from: "STPHEAD"
I love me too... And everyone that loves and supports this band.... Also, I was there and think the performance was sick.. But now hearing it again and hearing Scott's speaking voice, I mean there are a million theories, but hey maybe he just had some bad allergies/was sick to some extent... We all need to ease up on the negativity and enjoy this to the max...

Damn straight, very well said.

STPHEAD

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: May 04, 2008, 06:15:53 PM »
Well said STPFAN.. We are truly lucky, and these guys on their worst day are still better than most the rest.

Fear 2 Stop

• Rightous Bald Dude
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • ╭∩╮(︶︿︶)╭∩╮
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: May 04, 2008, 06:25:35 PM »
Much better, sounds more like the Scott we know/love. Thanks for posting!

STPHEAD

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: May 04, 2008, 06:34:03 PM »
Hey guys, I just noticed there is a "play in higher quality link" on the clip... it does look much better watching it in that format.

TemplePilot

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: May 04, 2008, 06:54:49 PM »
Spot on.

Promising_Boy

• Contributors
  • Flight Attendant
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: May 04, 2008, 08:19:45 PM »
thank you stpfan77, it was about time - too bad english is not my native language, otherwise i would write the same comment you just did :)

wayne gretzky

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: May 05, 2008, 02:24:18 AM »
Great hearing this .. his voice does sound stronger in this song, but it still very nassally and it has been for sumtime .. any one have an idea why? smoking?the drugs? or just aging?

Somba Nova

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
    • http://www.cobhammar.wordpress.com
« Reply #207 on: May 05, 2008, 02:27:41 AM »
well said man. as time as gone on, thats basically exactly what ive been thinking.
In Here, We\'re All Anemic.

Silvergun Picture Show

• They Call Me Phil.
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • Buy a minute, spend an hour burnin' burnin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: May 05, 2008, 02:38:40 AM »
WOW....

They fucking rocked Superman!!!!

It's sounds so awesome live...Dean was ripping on the solo...glad we finally have live footgage of my fav STP song!!!

fingers crossed they bust it out in columbus and cleveland !!!
STP: 08/22/10 - Cleveland, OH.
        08/28/10 - Pittsburgh, PA.

"Some of my finest hours have been spent on my back veranda, smoking hemp and observing as far as my eye could see."
-Thoman Jefferson

StoneTempleBrett

• AlternativeNation.net & STPfans.com
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • Pooper Scooper
    • View Profile
    • AlternativeNation.net
« Reply #209 on: May 05, 2008, 02:44:30 AM »
Told you guys this was great, Dean was fucking amazing, great quality video.  Now all we need is SIN!

STP Shows: 5/1/08, 6/24/08, 12/31/08, 7/1/09, 5/25/10, 6/5/10, 10/29/10, 9/22/12, 5/30/13, 9/1/13
Velvet Revolver Shows: 7/22/06, 9/15/07
Scott Weiland Shows: 12/14/08, 12/8/11