July 07, 2024, 02:15:50 PM

Author Topic: Who should replace Scott?  (Read 26339 times)

Shangri

• Bad Girl-La Dee Da
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • "It's like playing in front of 40 000 drummers"
    • View Profile
Re: Who should replace Scott?
« Reply #90 on: October 23, 2008, 06:44:59 PM »
Quote from: "EustaciaWildeve"
^^At the risk of being repetitious, Scott is irreplaceable.

I don't think he could replace Scott, VR needs a singer...
"We grew with the speed of light but crashed in the night"

hawk900

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: October 25, 2008, 03:51:48 AM »
Quote from: "Slim Jim"
Is that supposed to make sense? I don't see how we're "never gonna get that chemistry for a future STP album", since the chemistry between Dean, Rob and Eric is as great as it's ever been. As far as chemistry between Scott and the other three go, it seems like even when the chemistry isn't that good between Scott and the others, when it comes to actually making the music they're able to put aside those problems. I think it's out of respect for the music. It's just a matter of whether they want to go through the whole deal of making another album. Anyway, looking at VR, the chemistry between Scott and the rest of the band was shit and they were still able to make some decent music.
Chemistry spoken in a creative sense. I agree STP is playing unbelievably lately and getting better everyday. Yet its the same fuckin songs from 11-15 years ago. Wow there's a little 30sec blues jam at the beginning of STT and a little lead to sourgirl and a tripped out jam in creep. But the stuff he just wrote with vr last year on libertad is fuckin genius. We all do not know honestly if STP has any more rabbits in their hat of writing as a group. The chemistry they have is the "man did I miss you" chemistry.
 I'd love to see either or because I love both of the bands. I just wished it didnt end this way with him and the vr guys. Fuck man VR was blazin hot and we all knew that STP was playin the up and comming summer and I was excited for that too.
 We all know what broke up that band except the ignorant stupid believe that it was a person or persons which lead to the ugly ending of VR.  Believe me it wasn't personal conflicts!!!
I love Scott where ever he goes sorry Slash/Duff you're one of the most powerful guitar and bass combo ever to evolve but I back the main man.
 I hope there really is a future with Scott out in front of a band driving him all over the stage because thats what he needs. Honestly I aint a fan of his solo shows unless he scores a kickass band to go along.
 And yes youre right for VR once they had the best there was he aint by any means replacable.
Hawkdown.

lovemachine97

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: October 27, 2008, 01:23:47 AM »
They don't need "chemistry" in the sense of being able to work right next to each other to write songs.

They've never done it that way.  99% of the songs, except stuff like Tumble in the Rough and Vasoline, the DeLeo bros. and/or Kretz work out almost all of the chord changes and ideas before Scott does anything.  AFter that, it's only slight changes to account for Scott's vocal ideas (you can see an example of this at the beginning of the extended version of the Big Bang Baby video from the Thank You bonus DVD.  The band plus O'Brien are listening to a playback of the verse, and Weiland and O'Brien are showing the DeLeos that for Weiland's vocal, the riff needs to be played one more time before going into the chorus.  Notice when they're singing along with the track, Weiland needs one more time through the riff to sing the last "How the story really goes / So we all just hum along" before the chorus.)  This is the most collaboration they have.

For the most part, Weiland respects the DeLeo's song crafting, and they respect his ability to take it to the next level with a melody and lyrics.  And they do these things mostly apart from each other.  They've even talked about the fact that Weiland usually is never at the houses they record at unless he's recording his vocal parts.

As far as VR being great, well, they were pretty good.  But, they were limiting for Weiland.  Actually, STP are too, or he wouldn't do solo records.  But STP experiments a lot more, and they grew up together.  You can't bottle that, and usually, it doesn't go away.  So to say that VR had this chemistry right up there with STP, IMO is false.

But opinions are like...well, you know lol.

andrew

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • I'm the milk man
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: October 27, 2008, 02:41:03 AM »
Quote from: "lovemachine97"

For the most part, Weiland respects the DeLeo's song crafting, and they respect his ability to take it to the next level with a melody and lyrics.  And they do these things mostly apart from each other.  They've even talked about the fact that Weiland usually is never at the houses they record at unless he's recording his vocal parts.

I think you're just making that part up. I read Slash's book, and in it, he said that when Brendan O'Brien is your producer, he makes all of the members of the band be at the recording session before they start. So either Slash, who has recorded with O'Brien is lying, or you are... misinformed. I'm not gonna call you a liar.
Bleeda blooda

christie1991

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: October 27, 2008, 02:53:01 AM »
I distinctly remember reading that also. 

lovemachine97

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: October 27, 2008, 02:58:03 AM »
Quote from: "andrew"

I think you're just making that part up. I read Slash's book, and in it, he said that when Brendan O'Brien is your producer, he makes all of the members of the band be at the recording session before they start. So either Slash, who has recorded with O'Brien is lying, or you are... misinformed. I'm not gonna call you a liar.

I could be mistaken.  I'll try and find where I maybe remember that from.  Maybe it doesn't exist.

Either way, it still stands that most of the time, the DeLeo's have written the material without Scott

christie1991

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: October 28, 2008, 01:12:17 AM »
You both could be right.  Maybe they have ideas for songs written on their own.  But when it comes time to record them, Brendan makes all of them be there and the changes happen as a group?  I'll have to get out my Slash book, but I do remember him saying that Brendan required all the members of the band to be there for recording sessions, which Guns never did.

STP76

• Contributors
  • Flight Attendant
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: November 13, 2008, 10:30:41 PM »
I read the interview with scott where he states velvet broke up because of big egos, his included, and it sounded to me like he thought is was a mistake. did anyone else sense that? What are the chances that they reform with scott?

CagedTiger

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: November 16, 2008, 03:59:45 AM »
It looks like they may have found their guy!
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=SKqj4KrmGnE
Nothing matters again, I didn\'t think we\'d last that long

shadowsoul

• Ground Personnel
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: November 24, 2008, 05:11:30 AM »
dave wanless of sven gali.
Burning a hole straight through my head, just laying there now.... wishing i was dead.

weilandfan

• My username says it all
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: November 24, 2008, 07:48:26 AM »
Quote from: "shadowsoul"
dave wanless of sven gali.

i don't think i've heard of them... im curious, are they any good, or is it just the singer you like?

btw, i see you've added a nickname...  :P

STP76

• Contributors
  • Flight Attendant
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: November 24, 2008, 10:09:52 PM »
IT SOUNDED LIKE SCOTT THINKS THEY MADE A MISTAKE AS WELL.......

The Action Girls

• The ORIGINAL Melody Man
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • Is she fighting for air?
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: November 25, 2008, 03:38:30 PM »
Dave Coutts, hahaha.
Back for another one

overmatik

• Ground Personnel
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: November 26, 2008, 04:55:16 PM »
Why don't they bring Eric Dover?

I don't know if any of you guys have listened to the 1st Snakepit album, but is terrific, way better than Chinese Democracy!
"Heroes, they come and go, legends are forever" - David Lee Roth

Lanegan7

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: November 29, 2008, 01:29:46 AM »
Quote from: "The Action Girls"
Dave Coutts, hahaha.

That would be strange and funny