August 19, 2024, 01:39:20 PM

Author Topic: 2008-05-31 - Holmdel, NJ - PNC Bank Arts Center (WXRK Event)  (Read 38104 times)

stpfan77

• Contributors
  • Co-Pilot
    • View Profile
Re: 2008-05-31 - Holmdel, NJ - PNC Bank Arts Center (WXRK Event)
« Reply #60 on: June 01, 2008, 08:31:40 AM »
Here's the official set list, in order (saved it in my phone as the show went on from beginning to end). They played 17 songs, stuck with mainly radio singles, and did the same set they've been doing minus Too Cool Queenie, All in the Suit That You Wear and Silvergun Superman.

* Big Empty
* Wicked Garden
* Big Bang Baby
* Vasoline
* Lady Picture Show
* Loungefly
* Crackerman
* Sour Girl
* Creep
* Plush
* Interstate Love Song
* Coma
* Down
* Sin
* Sex Type Thing
* Trippin' on a Hole in My Paper Heart
* Dead & Bloated (encore)

Clarification about earlier posts: Wet my Bed, a RECORDED version, was played as an outro after D&B finished, and the stage lights came up. The band was taking their bows and doing their usual end-of-show hand-slapping of lucky fans in the front row. Exact same way they ended the Wallingford show, so nothing notable there.

Finally, to echo some of what ben444 said - this really was not the best STP show. I've been to six myself, including tonight's, and even though it was still pretty good overall, it was a bit shorter than usual because of the rock radio festival setting, and also because STP didn't take the stage until about 10:30 p.m., a full hour and 20 minutes after Filter finished their set. Something weird about that, for sure.

And it's true, I'm sorry to report, Weiland was certainly not at his best. He sounded really good actually for most of the first half of the show - but by the time they got to Trippin' he was straining noticeably. He BARELY got the second chorus out. Thank God for Dean's solo, that gave him just enough time to regroup so that he could at least semi-belt out the ending. Weiland also fucked up on D&B - singing parts of the song in the wrong places. But at that point, so many people were either drunk, way too into the show to notice, or just not caring basically. But for the true fans, and people who've seen STP live at their peak, at their absolute apex, this was kind of a disappointing performance I have to say.

Finally, let's not forget, the guys did have a full 5 or 6 days off since their last show. Considering that, combined with the hour-plus delay, combined with Weiland's sub-par second half of the show - when he really should have been bringing it on home - I have to say the concert was, overall, somewhat of a disappointment.

Robert even mentioned at one point how he and Dean grew up right in the area - around Point Pleasant - and how a lot of people around there have been waiting a long time for this show. That was when he had to cut Scott off from rambling on the mic. It should have been a magical return to glory - a homecoming for the DeLeos - and an all-around skull-crushing rock and roll show from one of the best live bands of the last 20 years.

Instead, it was a performance that was, by STP's incredibly high performance standards, slightly above average overall.

For how negative this might all sound, I leave you all with this .... STP on a somewhat off-night is still one of the best goddamned live rock and roll shows on earth, and I still came away with far more positive impressions than negative ones on the whole.

But I too am a little worried about Weiland. The late start, the way he looked later on in the show. It's early in this tour. I just hope they stay on track.
It\'s more or less the same old story
The princess and the whore the lady!

Porkspam

• Flight Attendant
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: June 01, 2008, 08:35:32 AM »
The band took the stage around 10:30 really really late... At one point the whole place what chanting bullshit..scott looked pissed for the majority of the show.  Not messed up.  He was trying to get out some metaphor or somethign about being from a local area and going out and coming back and he got cut off.  He wasn't rambling as much as finding his words.
Somebody said they were having technical problems with the screen or something that the lawn people couldn't see.
They just did the hits.  Nothing too out of left field.  
I was just annoyed because I was against the barrier (which is behind the seats at this place) and this one idiot girl kept telling security when the mosh pits would break out, then i'd see a person or 2 dragged out.  Then when a pit would break out behind her again she's tell, same results.  This kept up about 5 times.. SHe wasn't getting crushed and was in no danger whatsoever.  They weren't even moshing hard.  Just a bunch of skinny white guys with their girls jumping and bumping into each other.  

The merch they sold sucked. maybe 3 shirts and a bandana

Peebs

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • Ghetto Fabulous
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: June 01, 2008, 08:52:20 AM »
Dude I was in sec 104 right in front of Robert by the ramp Scott ran out on twice...trust me he was fucked up. Plastered. He was drunk.
I have seen Scott perform 13 times between STP, VR and Camp Freddy and this was THE WORST shape he has been.
His condition actually made me sad.

I can't believe how much he deteriorated since Columbus.

If he continues in the condition he was tonight, he will not last 65 dates. And you can quote me on that.

Besides it must be my birthday (which is Monday)In 98 he was busted in NY on my Birthday causing the cancelation of the Irving Plaza Show. Then he had his court date back in 04 on my Birthday. My Birthday + Scott Weiland = Trouble
If you don't like STP, then you're pretty much not American (from a MO message board)

White Knuckles

• Contributors
  • Co-Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: June 01, 2008, 09:39:31 AM »
I thought the concert was fucking awesome.  The band had a few flaws, not just weiland, but overall i thought they were very good.  Would have liked a longer setlist, with some more rarities, but what can you do?  Also the smoke was a nice effect, and SIN was awesome live.

I took a shitload of pics, some came out good, some not so, but I uploaded them all here
http://s93.photobucket.com/albums/l55/m ... STP%20PNC/

I've also got a few videos I'm going to upload to youtube soon

coma09

• Contributors
  • Flight Attendant
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: June 01, 2008, 10:36:14 AM »
i guess the debate about Scott condition wont stop after this show, maybe its people seein things that arent really there or maybe there is somethin there thats wrong with him

Ack56

• Ground Personnel
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: June 01, 2008, 01:33:55 PM »
I have seen STP about 10 times dating back to 1997 and last night was an embarrassment.  I could not have been more excited to see them again, but leaving last night I said to my buddy I would be shocked if they played even one more show.  Scott was soooo messed up.  They came on an hour late which had to be b/c of Scott.  He was incoherent, and it was hard to watch.  I could not believe people were even cheering or thought it was a good show.  Yes, STP at 20% is still awesome, but there is something SERIOUSLY wrong with Scott right now.  I felt really bad for the DeLeo's in their homecoming.

adhesive-love

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: June 01, 2008, 01:54:56 PM »
Can we all agree that Filter and Ashes Divide were garbage?

Seriously, on EVERY song that Filter played, the did a long scream.  He tried to sound all tough.  It got old after a while.
I know I want what\'s on my mind.

Peebs

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • Ghetto Fabulous
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: June 01, 2008, 04:15:28 PM »
Quote from: "coma09"
i guess the debate about Scott condition wont stop after this show, maybe its people seein things that arent really there or maybe there is somethin there thats wrong with him

How people could NOT see him staggering on stage, slurring his words, watch him dropping things...
It was heartbreaking to watch because to me we were all watching a man self destruct and all everyone else cared about was getting their money's worth.

Look I have been the BIGGEST Weiland defender, anyone who knows me from other boards will agree. However I can not defend this behavior last night. The man needs serious help. I have been following his career since seeing him on MTV's Headbangers Ball. As a fan been through every arrest, every rehab. I always felt like Scott was a cat with nine lives. But last night I just got a strange sick feeling in my stomach that I can't really explain....but it wasn't good. Like if he doesn't get serious help soon....that cat has used up his ninth life.
If you don't like STP, then you're pretty much not American (from a MO message board)

Peebs

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • Ghetto Fabulous
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: June 01, 2008, 04:17:00 PM »
Quote from: "adhesive-love"
Can we all agree that Filter and Ashes Divide were garbage?

Seriously, on EVERY song that Filter played, the did a long scream.  He tried to sound all tough.  It got old after a while.

I missed Ashes Divide but sat through Filter and YES I CAN agree with you on that!

Stop That Pigeon

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: June 01, 2008, 04:20:33 PM »
Quote from: "Peebs"
How people could NOT see him staggering on stage, slurring his words, watch him dropping things...
It was heartbreaking to watch because to me we were all watching a man self destruct and all everyone else cared about was getting their money's worth.

Look I have been the BIGGEST Weiland defender, anyone who knows me from other boards will agree. However I can not defend this behavior last night. The man needs serious help. I have been following his career since seeing him on MTV's Headbangers Ball. As a fan been through every arrest, every rehab. I always felt like Scott was a cat with nine lives. But last night I just got a strange sick feeling in my stomach that I can't really explain....but it wasn't good. Like if he doesn't get serious help soon....that cat has used up his ninth life.

This is a horrendous state of affairs. I know how much you've always backed up Scott so, if you're saying this, it has to be 100% spot on. So sad.

ericaaa

• Ground Personnel
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: June 01, 2008, 04:24:30 PM »
But last night I just got a strange sick feeling in my stomach that I can't really explain....but it wasn't good. Like if he doesn't get serious help soon....that cat has used up his ninth life.

Peebs, yes. You're not the only one who got that feeling, too. As the minutes dragged on, I just felt this really odd vibe and I KNEW something was off, something wasn't right. I'm honestly terrified for Scott - he does need to get his act together. And when everyone was booing and yelling "bullshit!" I almost cried because I felt so awful for the DeLeos and Kretz. This show was a big deal to the DeLeos. Sad, sad stuff.

STPHEAD

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: June 01, 2008, 04:33:19 PM »
Talking with my friend who was at the show- this sucks.... Sounds like Scott was way way off....

At this point I hope I get to see them in the next couple of weeks..... I'd almost rather them go off and record a new album, because at least that would be forever... these shows leaving people tired and angry, sad and disappointed is just not going to work much longer for the fans or the other band members.
My only exit is a one way out...

Brad

• Flight Attendant
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: June 01, 2008, 04:45:02 PM »

i agree 100%. i had the same feeling during the show. it actually ruined it for me. i heard a person behind me say "in a few years, weiland wont be around". i dont think weiland said one thing to the crowd that made sense during the entire show. the worse thing for me was watching the live video of him struggling to say something with a glazed and disorientated look on his face.

for those that are in denial of his condition or have not seen the band yet, just wait for a boot to surface of this show.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2008, 04:47:06 PM by ben444 »

Peebs

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • Ghetto Fabulous
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: June 01, 2008, 04:59:47 PM »
I'm going to type this out.
I didn't even want to verbalize it.

But.
I am in fear that we are losing him. And I have NEVER ever felt this way in 15 years. And I am very upset.

In my many years breathing on this earth I have known many addicts. I know that no one can help them but themselves. Luckly most of the ones I do know have pulled their lives together. I only have ever lost one friend to addiction. So I know no one can step in and "save" him. But last night I felt like "Does ANYONE around him see this happening??" I just feel like someone anyone has to step in and say "dude, your a fucking mess".

Olivia

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: June 01, 2008, 05:07:22 PM »
I'm saddened to hear Scott is still suffering... I really am. But what exactly is everyone thinking he's on? My mom is convinced the bi-polar meds alone can be doing this to him. Forgetting lyrics, slurred speech, incoherency, trouble singing... she doesn't even think he would be drinking because of dry mouth from the meds. Until the right combination of meds is found, they can really screw someone up.