July 04, 2024, 02:18:28 PM

Author Topic: 2008-05-31 - Holmdel, NJ - PNC Bank Arts Center (WXRK Event)  (Read 35598 times)

MedicBarbie

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
Re: 2008-05-31 - Holmdel, NJ - PNC Bank Arts Center (WXRK Event)
« Reply #75 on: June 01, 2008, 05:13:46 PM »
WOW. :'( :'(

I was hoping everyone was going to say he looked good and sounded even better. :'( :'(  This is very upsetting to me as well.  :'(

Does anyone else think maybe they're overdoing it?  It's their first tour in a long time (together, anyway) and maybe Scott feels the need to live up to his legacy, but is afraid that he won't be able to, which is why he's turning to whatever it is that he's doing.  Perhaps they should have started more slowly - 65 dates are a lot to play in 4 months.

Peebs, I'm with you on the addict thing.  Either you kick yourself in the ass and tell yourself you're going to own it, or you let it own you.

I hope and pray he can get his shit together.  He's had a rough road. we all know that.  Everyone deserves to be happy, and if you ask me, he doesn't look all that happy right now.  We've seen him on top of his game, and this is far from that.

I just don't want all this to end tragically.  I am hoping this is related to the new meds he's on.  Some of them can fuck you up - but I would think the docs would try something with the least amount of side effects.

Brad

• Flight Attendant
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: June 01, 2008, 05:21:07 PM »
a thread on the official site is pretty much saying the same.

http://community.stonetemplepilots.com/ ... 88&d=30745

stpfan77

• Contributors
  • Co-Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: June 01, 2008, 05:48:43 PM »
Yeah - this doesn't look like bipolar med stuff. I had a friend that dealt with that issue, and basically, the effects of that just cause a person to stand around vacantly, looking numb and distant, almost unaware of all the sensory-perception type stuff happening around them.

Last night, that wasn't necessarily the problem with Weiland. He was moving around. He was aware of his surroundings. He was just fucked up beyond belief. On what - who the fuck knows. Drugs, alcohol, depression meds, a combination of some or all of those things. Who the hell could possibly tell. Very sad. I was on the LAWN - right up against the fence with a good view, but still on the lawn nonetheless, and I could definitely tell he was looking pretty goddamned run-down. After a 5-day break from their last show - he should have kicked the fucking audience's ass and OWNED that stage. But instead, he looked like he just had HIS ass kicked. By life, by substance abuse, by whatever.

It is, indeed, a sad state of affairs.

You know, a lot of people are trying to put this all in perspective by saying that this time around, it's not going to be STP circa 1999-2002. Just a different animal now. And that's fine, I can totally respect that. But no matter what excuses people want to make about time going forward, people getting older, etc. ... there is NO good reason for your frontman to come out looking, acting and performing the way Scott has a few times now on this tour. This is a 65-date tour. They're barely 2 weeks into it. These guys are in their 40s. What the fuck. Not good. At the Wallingford show they were tight as hell ... but we got a different Weiland last night. It's like ... guess which Weiland is going to show up tonight. Not a fun game to play. Will he show up? Won't he? Who knows. Can you guys imagine if Dean, Robert and Eric had to come out and report that something had happened to Scott, and no show tonight? Can you fucking imagine? I think I would have feared for my safety (and that of my fiance and our friend, who were there too).

And even though I hate to say it - right now, that is not an unforeseeable scenario.

Finally, what I will say, is that unfortunately, I think this situation is an example of people taking advantage of a money-making opportunity, but an opportunity that is not necessarily in the best interest of all parties involved. Weiland is in a fucked-up place right now. He should not be expected to be pouring 100% of himself into solid rock and roll performances 3-4 nights a week. He should be getting his shit together right now. But everyone's getting paid like a motherfucka (Dean basically admitted money was the main motivation behind the reunion). How can people NOT see what's happening with Scott?? I feel like a lot of them are, but nobody can step in and save him - he has to save himself (as it's been pointed out on here). Very sad. I hope something terrible doesn't have to happen before things resolve themselves, or ideally, just improve altogether.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2008, 05:58:45 PM by stpfan77 »
It\'s more or less the same old story
The princess and the whore the lady!

Peebs

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • Ghetto Fabulous
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: June 01, 2008, 05:55:11 PM »
Quote from: "stpfan77"
Yeah - this doesn't look like bipolar med stuff. I had a friend that dealt with that issue, and basically, the effects of that just cause a person to stand around vacantly, looking numb and distant, almost unaware of all the sensory-perception type stuff happening around them.

Last night, that wasn't necessarily the problem with Weiland. He was moving around. He was aware of his surroundings. He was just fucked up beyond belief. On what - who the fuck knows. Drugs, alcohol, depression meds, a combination of some or all of those things. Who the hell could possibly tell. Very sad. I was on the LAWN - right up against the fence with a good view, but still on the lawn nonetheless, and I could definitely tell he was looking pretty goddamned run-down. After a 5-day break from their last show - he should have kicked the fucking audience's ass and OWNED that stage. But instead, he looked like he just had HIS ass kicked. By life, by substance abuse, by whatever.

It is, indeed, a sad state of affairs.

You know, a lot of people are trying to put this all in perspective by saying that this time around, it's not going to be STP circa 1999-2002. Just a different animal now. And that's fine, I can totally respect that. But no matter what excuses people want to make about time going forward, people getting older, etc. ... there is NO good reason for your frontman to come out looking, acting and performing the way Scott has a few times now on this tour. This is a 65-date tour. They're barely 2 weeks into it. These guys are in their 40s. What the fuck. Not good. At the Wallingford show they were tight as hell ... but we got a different Weiland last night. It's like ... guess which Weiland is going to show up tonight. Not a fun game to play. Will he show up? Won't he? Who knows. Can you guys imagine if Dean, Scott and Eric had to come out and report that something had happened to Scott, and no show tonight? Can you fucking imagine? I think I would have feared for my safety (and that of my fiance and our friend, who were there too).

And even though I hate to say it - right now, that is not an unforeseeable scenario.

Finally, what I will say, is that unfortunately, I think this situation is an example of people taking advantage of a money-making opportunity, but an opportunity that is not necessarily in the best interest of all parties involved. Weiland is in a fucked-up place right now. He should not be expected to be pouring 100% of himself into solid rock and roll performances 3-4 nights a week. He should be getting his shit together right now. But everyone's getting paid like a motherfucka (Dean basically admitted money was the main motivation behind the reunion). How can people NOT see what's happening with Scott?? I feel like a lot of them are, but nobody can step in and save him - he has to save himself (as it's been pointed out on here). Very sad. I hope something terrible doesn't have to happen before things resolve themselves, or ideally, just improve altogether.

Dude. You just summed it up PERFECTLY like you read my mind. I couldn't have said it better.
If you don't like STP, then you're pretty much not American (from a MO message board)

adhesive-love

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: June 01, 2008, 06:31:56 PM »
All of these replies have pretty much ruined my entire feelings for last night.  Looking back, yeah I guess he was messed up.  I was wondering why I couldn't understand what he was saying at all when he made that "speech".

And out of curiosity, can you point out where Dean admitted this tour was for money?
I know I want what\'s on my mind.

stpfan77

• Contributors
  • Co-Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: June 01, 2008, 06:36:48 PM »
Quote from: "adhesive-love"
All of these replies have pretty much ruined my entire feelings for last night.  Looking back, yeah I guess he was messed up.  I was wondering why I couldn't understand what he was saying at all when he made that "speech".

And out of curiosity, can you point out where Dean admitted this tour was for money?

Q&A
Stone Temple Pilots, with Weiland in tow to take off again
Thursday, May 15, 2008 11:15 AM
By AARON BECK

THE COLUMBUS DISPATCH

CHRIS PIZZELLO | ASSOCIATED PRESS
Scott Weiland, right, and Dean DeLeo of Stone Temple Pilots
As reunion shows go, the Stone Temple Pilots gig during the Rock on the Range festival in Columbus Crew Stadium is as high-profile as possible.

A total of 25,000 to 30,000 people are expected Saturday night to see the hard-rock band cap the first of two days of like-minded music.
(Kid Rock is set to headline the festival Sunday night.)

The stop in Columbus also marks the beginning of a 65-city North American tour, which reunites the multimillion-selling, Grammywinning band - brothers Dean (guitars) and Robert DeLeo (bass), and Eric Kretz (drums) - with vocalist Scott Weiland.

The former Chagrin Falls resident left Stone Temple Pilots early this decade. Then, from 2003 until this year, he fronted Velvet Revolver, featuring three former Guns N' Roses players.

During his initial Pilots stint, Weiland was arrested and jailed for drug- and alcohol-related offenses as well as a domestic-violence charge that was eventually dismissed.

Late last year, he was busted again for driving under the influence and headed back to rehab.

The arrest resulted in a 192-hour sentence.

Three days ago, Weiland reported to jail in Van Nuys, Calif. Just 10 hours later, he was released.

Last week, a couple of hours before Weiland was scheduled to arrive for the first proper rehearsal with the old group, Dean DeLeo spoke from the Stone Temple Pilots studio about the reunion, the tour and his cagey singer.

The vibe since Weiland has returned to the fold, DeLeo said, is "very STP."

"It's like an unmade bed: nasty but comfortable."

Q > Do you make any special preparations for a show in front of 25,000 versus a concert in a theater?
A > We're just running through some material and rehearsing, but Scott still hasn't shown up for rehearsal.
Q > Does that give you pause?
A > It's always scary when it involves him. But we've worked up 35 songs, so he can kind of pick and choose what
we want to do. . . . We've delved into some tracks we've never really even played (live).
Q > How frustrating is it to spend so much time in such a herky-jerky, start-and-stop mode?
A > It's not how I like to do things. Unfortunately, Scott does. But, to answer the question: frustrating.
Q > So why did you reunite?
A > Money (laughing). If I gave you this story: "Oh, yeah, man, the universe came together . . ." - no. Money.
But, really, it is amazing to get up and play. I really do have a good time getting up and playing with Robert and
Eric. I just enjoy playing music, and, if I can get paid handsomely for it, I'm in.

Q > Is there a chance that the band will record an album after the tour?
A > I'd love to, man. I know we have some nice music in us. I know what I'm sitting on, and I know what Robert is sitting on, and I know where Scott takes it is pretty fulfilling, so I'd love to.
Q > What is it about Weiland that makes the band? You could have a TV show to audition singers.
A > We were asked to do that wacky show (Rock Star). They wanted us to be season three. We had a good laugh about it.
You know, the four of us really, really made this for one another, and I think for any of us to . . . do it without one another would be really, really disrespectful. It is what it is. There's no re-creating STP. I don't think it would be right without any of us.
Q > But what is it about his voice, style or presence that draws you?
A > I just know that, when I give Scott a song, I love what he does with it. I'm fulfilled by it, and I just know that when we get in a room to make music it happens quickly and easily. I feel the excitement of giving him a new song to hear what he's going to do with it.
abeck@dispatch.com
It\'s more or less the same old story
The princess and the whore the lady!

Stop That Pigeon

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: June 01, 2008, 06:40:16 PM »
^ Yeah, a few things of that nature have been said. It may well be coming back to bite them in the ass now, though. It's only a joke if you deliver the goods live and, apart from the Wallingford show, they're not doing that so far.

Peebs

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • Ghetto Fabulous
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: June 01, 2008, 06:48:50 PM »
No, Columbus was awesome too.

But it was the first show.

(boy am I glad I went to Columbus....)
If you don't like STP, then you're pretty much not American (from a MO message board)

Stop That Pigeon

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: June 01, 2008, 06:54:19 PM »
Quote from: "Peebs"
No, Columbus was awesome too.

I'm sure it was but, judging from the boot, Scott wasn't great. The Wallingford show is much, much better - it really sounded like he was getting it together which just makes recent events all the more depressing.

Peebs

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • Ghetto Fabulous
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: June 01, 2008, 06:57:09 PM »
Well compared to last night...

There are rumors of a Jones Beach show in July.
Unfortunately I don't think they'll last that long.

MAJOR METAL

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: June 01, 2008, 08:04:26 PM »
I attended last night and it was my first live STP concert although I have been watching the Thank You DVD for 5 years now and have been listening to STP bootlegs for over ten years. I have to say this is not the same band that left us in 2002. I throughly enjoyed the concert and for the most part it was musically tight but watching the close ups of Scott's face on the screen last night made me very worried, I truly believe there is something seriously wrong with him. Scott was so out of it he struggled to take off his own clothes , he had a hard time getting out of his jacket and shirt. I dont know if it is herion booze or what have you but he is beeing affected by something. At this rate I am sure the reunion will emploed before they would even touch another album. it could be waht ever is going on with Scott is holding back further changes in the set list. Eric is one solid drummer, he has an amazingly huge sound to him. Robert and Dean were solid giving some good chordal variance in some of the songs. I thought it was cute when Dean came out to kiss Richard Patrick for dedicating a song to Army of Anyone. Sadly most of the crowd wasent very aware of Coma , many actually still dotn know about the SLDD album. Overall I enjoyed the Gig and I am glad I had the expirence but there is something seriously wrong.
If you should die before me ask if you could bring a friend.
Pick a flower hold your breath and drift away.

MAJOR METAL

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: June 01, 2008, 08:14:18 PM »
I also noticed how annoyed the band seem to be with Scott. There wasent too much leaning of the Deleos on Scott last night.

Stop That Pigeon

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: June 01, 2008, 08:29:48 PM »
Quote from: "MAJOR METAL"
I also noticed how annoyed the band seem to be with Scott. There wasent too much leaning of the Deleos on Scott last night.

Yeah, he might have fallen over (sorry, bad joke).

Not sure what to make of this clip except that Robert is singing very well indeed:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=24kqmGmFxls
« Last Edit: June 01, 2008, 08:48:22 PM by Stop That Pigeon »

Peebs

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • Ghetto Fabulous
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: June 01, 2008, 08:33:52 PM »
Robert sang A LOT.

More so than he usually does.

At one point they (Scott and Rob) were back by the drum riser for a few seconds talking (right before Robert and Scott apologized for the hour and a half delay) and Robert hugged Scott but it was not in a "Yea I love you Dude" way...in a comforting way. Like someone needed to be comforted.

Heartbreaking I tell you.

MAJOR METAL

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: June 01, 2008, 08:38:13 PM »
Quote from: "Peebs"
Robert sang A LOT.

More so than he usually does.

At one point they (Scott and Rob) were back by the drum riser for a few seconds talking (right before Robert and Scott apologized for the hour and a half delay) and Robert hugged Scott but it was not in a "Yea I love you Dude" way...in a comforting way. Like someone needed to be comforted.

Heartbreaking I tell you.

Yeah I saw the little huddle , Robert also had to cut Scotts rambeling about a girl.