September 30, 2024, 10:33:51 AM

Author Topic: General discussion about 2008 tour dates  (Read 115855 times)

Silvergun Picture Show

• They Call Me Phil.
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • Buy a minute, spend an hour burnin' burnin'
    • View Profile
Re: Is it even worth it to see STP again?
« Reply #570 on: July 18, 2008, 08:30:38 PM »
Quote from: "loungefly611"
For all the complaining about the setlist, I'm suprised everyone is so gung-ho about seeing them over and over again even if they don't switch it up. Granted, the performances will vary from show to show, but I don't think that is worth the price tag alone.

Yah i know wat you mean, Im not complaining about the setlist but I would like to see other songs, but it's STP. But I would def be gung ho about seeing them more on the tour if they were closer to Pittsburgh/cleveland/columbus area
STP: 08/22/10 - Cleveland, OH.
        08/28/10 - Pittsburgh, PA.

"Some of my finest hours have been spent on my back veranda, smoking hemp and observing as far as my eye could see."
-Thoman Jefferson

STPGurl

• Original Bad Girl
  • Cardinal
  • Sky Captain
  • Sucker for SRW
    • View Profile
    • SWBGC
« Reply #571 on: July 18, 2008, 08:55:09 PM »
Quote from: "MedicBarbie"
I just asked to go to Mexico to see them for my birthday.  :P

I think you totally deserve to be taken to Mexico to soak up the sun and see our boys.  Viva la STP!  :) 

...and I think something should happen to your other half's golf clubs if you DON'T get your Mexican vacation.  Haha
How could they not notice it?! Because it's a little mint.  It's a Junior Mint!

stpfan77

• Contributors
  • Co-Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #572 on: July 19, 2008, 02:51:47 PM »
Interesting to see adhesive-love's original question posed that way, and to be honest, I've been asking it myself for quite some time now.

I've got 2 more STP shows coming up - Jones Beach and Musikfest in Bethlehem. These shows are only 2 days apart ... which means I'm 99.9% sure I'm getting the same setlist. Only question is ... will it be the same 19-20 songs they've stuck with since Day 1 of this tour.

I'm pleased to hear that by most accounts, the boys are ripping and raising it to a level not seen during the first few weeks of the tour. That being said, I can only get myself so excited knowing both the songs and even the exact order in which they are likely to be performed. It will still rock to see it live, but I guess it's a little bit like seeing a movie that you love .... one that you've already seen 2 or 3 times. Yeah, you'll enjoy it ... yeah, you know what's coming .... but you find yourself thinking "This might be better if I DIDN'T know what was about to happen."

Yeah, I get that it's a Reunion Tour ... the boys are familiarizing themselves all over again with their fans, STP's music, and each other. That's all well and good .... if that was the impression we all got right from the start.

But I'd be lying if I said I didn't feel a little duped ... what with the whole "set-builder" thing on the .com board, PLUS the fact that Scott, Dean and Robert ALL made comments in the press AND on stage, at one time or another, about how they were excited to delve into their rarely heard (or never-heard) material and give the fans some of those special treats.

In conclusion, I understand the point that to please the majority of the crowd on any given night, the majority of the show needs to consist of hits and well-known songs. Might not be MY favorite thing in the world .... but hey, I did make the choice to see them again in August. I mean, it's not like I'm trying to get rid of my tickets or anything.

It's still possible they'll throw some new tunes in there on this tour. But I'm not holding my breath.
It\'s more or less the same old story
The princess and the whore the lady!

thejackal

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #573 on: July 19, 2008, 03:14:20 PM »
Quote from: "loungefly611"
For all the complaining about the setlist, I'm suprised everyone is so gung-ho about seeing them over and over again even if they don't switch it up. Granted, the performances will vary from show to show, but I don't think that is worth the price tag alone.

I will see them twice-hopefully.  The thing about the setlist is that only the real hardcore fans want this switched up which is understandable.  However, those are the minority of the people at the shows.  While switching up to hear different tunes is great, you lose some energy by ditching some of the popular songs that the whole joint will get into.  What songs should they not play in place of others?  I want Piece of Pie, but I am not sure what to remove realistically knowing they will play the popular songs.  I will be with friends who like STP but they would be really disappointed if they pulled a PJ and didn't play the hits. 

People complain they only play the hits, well they had a lot of them.  They are playing SS, Sin, Coma, TCQ and even tunes like LPS and BBB which weren't rotated in so much after 4.  That is roughly 1/3 of the songs and to be honest I don't know what they can do.  If they switched out SS for say Unglued one night, people would come in here bitching up a storm that they didn't play SS. 

loungefly611

• The Other Scott
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
    • Scott 'The Madness' Stessl
« Reply #574 on: July 19, 2008, 04:31:49 PM »
Quote from: "thejackal"
I will see them twice-hopefully.  The thing about the setlist is that only the real hardcore fans want this switched up which is understandable.  However, those are the minority of the people at the shows.  While switching up to hear different tunes is great, you lose some energy by ditching some of the popular songs that the whole joint will get into.  What songs should they not play in place of others?  I want Piece of Pie, but I am not sure what to remove realistically knowing they will play the popular songs.  I will be with friends who like STP but they would be really disappointed if they pulled a PJ and didn't play the hits. 

I've gone to 100 plus concerts over the past ten years. When I go to see Metallica, I know they are gonna play Enter Sandman, One, and Master of Puppets. But, I also know they will switch it up and throw in Ride the Lightning, Jump in the Fire, or even Dyers Eve. When I go see Aerosmith, I expect them to play Sweet Emotion, Dream On and Walk This Way. But, I listen for gems like Lord of the Thighs, Rats in the Celler, and Kings and Queens. When I go to an STP show, I KNOW they will play Plush, Interstate Love Song, and Sex Type Thing. I EXPECT THAT. It would be nonsense to remove them from the set. At the same time though, they are playing Silvergun Superman, Sin, and Coma. They can easily be switched out with Meatplow, Tumble in the Rough, and Heavens and Hotroads. I am not asking them to totally blowup the setlist and start from scratch. You are right. Majority of the people who go to shows are not die-hards. (Although in this day and age of high gas prices, high ticket prices, and the start of what looks to be a recession, I beg to differ in some instances) I don't think it is asking much at all to rotate a few songs for the die-hard fans who will travel city to city for the band. Almost every other established rock act keeps majority of the same set per tour, but they rotate a few songs here and there.

As far as PJ goes, their set usually is twice as long as STP. They have a MUCH LARGER catalog. Plus, they dispurse the set with hits, album cuts, and b-sides just enough so everyone goes home happy. In my opinion, if you want to see the same songs OVER AND OVER again, just buy a concert DVD and watch that over and over because you are just wasting your time as much as mine.
Dedicated. Disgusting. Disturbing.

I'm just sittin' on this merry-go-round, and the music is too loud..

STEAK

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #575 on: July 19, 2008, 04:35:03 PM »
Quote from: "adhesive-love"
I'm not bashing them or anything, but, I'm wondering...

I went to the STP concert in NJ on 5/31, arguably their worst concert on the tour, but I still loved it since it was my first time seeing them.  Now they are coming back to Jones Beach and I've been talking a lot with my friend about seeing them.  Plus, I get the discount since I went to the PNC show.

But, I have been thinking, if the setlist never changes, and the background at the concert doesn't change, aren't all concerts on this tour identical?  I would be going to the same thing I saw before.

Thoughts?

I saw their 5/17 Ohio show, and was at the PNC 5/31 show.  The PNC show was a better performance IMO.  And I'm going to the Jones Beach show.  The shows and set lists have been pretty similar, but who knows what to expect.   IT could be similar, we could see a few changes/surprises... but all in all, it'll be a great show.
"Hey there... how's your steak?"

thejackal

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #576 on: July 19, 2008, 05:52:24 PM »
loungefly

I don't disagree actually with what you are saying.  I was just pointing out that we would have just as many people complaining about getting Dumb Love instead of Coma.  I think we all know they have never really mixed up that much and probably won't either.

loungefly611

• The Other Scott
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
    • Scott 'The Madness' Stessl
« Reply #577 on: July 19, 2008, 06:03:11 PM »
Quote from: "thejackal"
I think we all know they have never really mixed up that much and probably won't either.

They never really have, and it's a shame.
Dedicated. Disgusting. Disturbing.

I'm just sittin' on this merry-go-round, and the music is too loud..

nat

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #578 on: July 19, 2008, 07:52:17 PM »
Quote from: "STEAK"
I saw their 5/17 Ohio show, and was at the PNC 5/31 show.  The PNC show was a better performance IMO. 

I didn't see either one, but I think you're the first (only?) person on the Internet to say that. By all accounts I heard the PNC show was a disaster, and not just because they took the stage way late.

rymo84

• Contributors
  • Co-Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #579 on: July 19, 2008, 08:12:01 PM »
I saw Columbus and Indy, both of which were among the first 4-5 shows. I had a much better experience at the Indy show, just a week after Columbus, although that was just them playing and not the festival. From what I've read the shows have been getting better and better, so I definitely think it's worth seeing them again if the shows are a few weeks or months apart. Even if it's the same songs, those songs are great, and the performances are all different in their own little way. I'm hoping to catch one of the shows coming up in Indiana for my 3rd concert this tour.

Peebs

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • Ghetto Fabulous
    • View Profile
« Reply #580 on: July 20, 2008, 08:02:11 AM »
Quote from: "nat"
I didn't see either one, but I think you're the first (only?) person on the Internet to say that. By all accounts I heard the PNC show was a disaster, and not just because they took the stage way late.

I think he is too.
OR the people who's first STP show ever was PNC. They all thought it was good because they have nothing to compare it to.

PNC was also my second show on this tour and it was definately not the best. Columbus was magic because it was the first.
If you don't like STP, then you're pretty much not American (from a MO message board)

adhesive-love

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #581 on: July 20, 2008, 10:10:48 PM »
Quote from: "Peebs"
I think he is too.
OR the people who's first STP show ever was PNC. They all thought it was good because they have nothing to compare it to.

PNC was also my second show on this tour and it was definately not the best. Columbus was magic because it was the first.

Yeah I said that in my original post, hehe.
I know I want what\'s on my mind.

capt_caveman

• Maver
  • Contributors
  • Pilot
  • Take A Load Off
    • View Profile
    • http://www.zooind.tumblr.com
Re: New sour girl
« Reply #582 on: July 21, 2008, 08:30:49 PM »
I love the new version so much, it made me go and download TVC15 by David Bowie...
Cause she could play the six string better than those macho pendejos

JWeber

• Contributors
  • Co-Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #583 on: July 22, 2008, 01:14:53 AM »
This is my new favorite (okay, second to ILS) live song. Hope this makes a b-side track on a single.

nickfas54

• Contributors
  • Flight Attendant
    • View Profile
« Reply #584 on: July 22, 2008, 02:06:24 AM »
I like the new version also... but it still will not top creep as my favorite song