September 29, 2024, 12:20:31 PM

Author Topic: General discussion about 2008 tour dates  (Read 115727 times)

Aaron

• Global Moderator
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
Re: The current tour performances
« Reply #255 on: May 19, 2008, 11:22:58 PM »
Quote from: "lovemachine97"
Before we get out of control, let's think about some things:

1) I think the Vasoline trip up on Kimmel can be easily attributed to how they played the song in VR.  Slash took an extended solo.  You can easily see this on youtube.  Try getting used to playing a song for years with an extended guitar solo, then all of a sudden play it on TV with different guys and the solo goes by FAST because it is several measures shorter.

2) His voice was strained after the last VR tour, with Scott even mentioning it in an interview.  He probably took really good care, not singing, with an inability to go 100% during most of the rehearsals, if he even showed.  The band screwing up songs, which I have heard they have, is on them, not Scott.  Remember:  The DeLeo's have only played a few of these songs over the past 5 years (Dean even mentioned having to go back to the record and relearn songs), and Scott a few others.  Eric hasn't played any of them.

There is going to be rust.  It'll work itself out.

no doubt.  My point is they should have worked this out BEFORE the tour started, not during the tour.  I agree with you though, i think this will not even be an issue in a month.  I just wish this was not an issue to begin with. 

Long Way Home

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #256 on: May 19, 2008, 11:24:26 PM »
Admittedly, we all have a right to worry given the band’s past. I think if these issues continue through the first 10-15 shows, then we really have a problem. Until then, let's all try to enjoy this reunion.

I hate to say this because I usually like picking sides, but I think at this point its wait and see.

xguitarplayerxx

• Flight Attendant
    • View Profile
« Reply #257 on: May 20, 2008, 02:17:20 AM »
i doubt anyone will be disappointed really.

jimmy j

• Ground Personnel
    • View Profile
« Reply #258 on: May 20, 2008, 02:20:39 AM »
Is ANYONE here just thankful that we're even talking about STP's performance last weekend?

Jump all over the band for being a little rusty after 6 years of no touring together. Go ahead. I choose to appreciate that the guys are back together, there's a tour, and (seemingly) a FUTURE. That's a hell of a lot better than what we've had in the last 6 years.

This could be a lot, lot worse than a couple botched lyrics.

SoftVinyl

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #259 on: May 20, 2008, 02:23:09 AM »
Ya gotta understand...they haven't played for quite awile. Once they get the groove on and the tour continues...they will be blowing our heads off with some AMAZING shows.
\'I\'m not paranoid...everyone is just out to get me!\'

detomaso

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #260 on: May 20, 2008, 02:32:20 AM »
I see both points of view, but I tend to lean on the side of those apprehensive a bit thus far, for this reason...

For those of us who have seen them perform live before, we realize that this band is one of the best live acts on the planet when "on". For them to be unrehearsed or lazy, even this early, is a little disappointing. Face facts -- look at others that are widely regarded as top-shelf concert acts (whether you like their music or not). Would Bruce Springsteen or U2 or Billy Joel or (name your favorite) with a superior live reputation be screwing up like that? No way. There's no excuse for that -- it's poor preparation, period.

I'm seeing them in a week or so, and I hope that they put some rehearsal time in and live up to the standard they created when I saw them in 2002. They were incredible. 

stpfan77

• Contributors
  • Co-Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #261 on: May 20, 2008, 02:37:30 AM »
Quote from: "detomaso"
I see both points of view, but I tend to lean on the side of those apprehensive a bit thus far, for this reason...

For those of us who have seen them perform live before, we realize that this band is one of the best live acts on the planet when "on". For them to be unrehearsed or lazy, even this early, is a little disappointing. Face facts -- look at others that are widely regarded as top-shelf concert acts (whether you like their music or not). Would Bruce Springsteen or U2 or Billy Joel or (name your favorite) with a superior live reputation be screwing up like that? No way. There's no excuse for that -- it's poor preparation, period.

I'm seeing them in a week or so, and I hope that they put some rehearsal time in and live up to the standard they created when I saw them in 2002. They were incredible. 

Dude I am in 1000 percent agreement with you. They have to be held to a somewhat higher standard, because that's the standard they set for themselves as one of the best live bands on the planet during their active 10 years as STP (basically 92-2002).

I have to admit, when I hit up the Wallingford, Holmdel and Bethlehem shows in the coming weeks and months - I will simply be somewhat disappointed if they don't demonstrate what we all know they're capable. They just need to put that time in and get back to where they once were.

Hope you guys are practicing quite a bit on the off days! Give the fans what we're starving for guys! Don't be satisfied to just show up and go through the motions. Make us leave wanting more, regretting that you guys ever broke up to begin with. We know you have it in you.
It\'s more or less the same old story
The princess and the whore the lady!

Sledgehammers of Truth

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #262 on: May 20, 2008, 02:57:51 AM »
I'm not at all concerned.  As everybody knows they've only played two full shows so far.  The tour's just getting started.  I don't have any problem giving them some time to get back into it.  They're rusty and haven't played together in a long time.  Now if this is going on for the next month, I might change my tune, but I'm more than willing to cut them plenty of slack. 

Slim Jim

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #263 on: May 20, 2008, 03:03:45 AM »
I can't imagine a band like U2 or Aerosmith screwing up like STP did at NJ (I wasn't there, but from what I've read). Sure STP has made small mistakes in the past, like hit the wrong note, or not starting exactly together, or Scott mixing up some words. But even when they did those things, they recovered and stayed in sync and it was nearly imperceptible. They kept playing and kept it together. But from what I heard happened with Down in NJ is disappointing, where the band lost it and fell apart in the middle of the song. It's not something you expect from a top billed, iconic, multi-platinum band.  I'm glad it didn't happen on live network TV. They need to rehearse more. I won't deny that if this happened at the show I'm going to, especially during the middle of one of their best songs I'd be pretty disappointed. Hope it doesn't.

Anyway, I think we'll soon be looking back at this and laughing at how paranoid we all were when this tour started. I'm just a little concerned about what EclecticBohemian said.
-Scott has major personal issues he's dealing with.  (Legal, personal, emotional, physical)
(Can't reveal my sources or I'd have to kill you)
What could possibly be so big an issue that it has to be kept a secret? Or at least not elaborated on a little? He's getting divorced? He had in fact relapsed on heroin and is still not completely recovered? I'd really preferred you hadn't mentioned something like that without explaining.
"Families is where our nation finds hope, where wings take dream." - George W. Bush

adhesive-love

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #264 on: May 20, 2008, 03:06:55 AM »
Where did he screw up in ILS?  I thought he did a great job.  I did see this on youtube though.
I know I want what\'s on my mind.

capt_caveman

• Maver
  • Contributors
  • Pilot
  • Take A Load Off
    • View Profile
    • http://www.zooind.tumblr.com
« Reply #265 on: May 20, 2008, 03:18:21 AM »
Quote from: "Sledgehammers of Truth"
I'm not at all concerned.  As everybody knows they've only played two full shows so far.  The tour's just getting started.  I don't have any problem giving them some time to get back into it.  They're rusty and haven't played together in a long time.  Now if this is going on for the next month, I might change my tune, but I'm more than willing to cut them plenty of slack. 

Oh boy, Sledgehammers of Truth! It's been a while man, so many Patton releases since I've heard from you...

Anyways, I agree, they're rusty. If they are still missing cues 10 shows in, then whoops. It's just really awesome to hear how they've changed up the songs and to hear how Scott's singing some old tunes.

Lots of bands make mistakes night in, night out. Pearl Jam is famous for it.

Cut the Pilots a little slack, they'll get into a groove...
Cause she could play the six string better than those macho pendejos

justbill

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #266 on: May 20, 2008, 04:27:45 AM »
Quote from: "jimmy j"
Is ANYONE here just thankful that we're even talking about STP's performance last weekend?

Jump all over the band for being a little rusty after 6 years of no touring together. Go ahead. I choose to appreciate that the guys are back together, there's a tour, and (seemingly) a FUTURE. That's a hell of a lot better than what we've had in the last 6 years.

This could be a lot, lot worse than a couple botched lyrics.

You said it best right there bud! I'm just glad that Stone Temple Pilots are back in the forefront, and not sitting on the sidelines so to speak.
-Bill_

boynamedsue

• Ground Personnel
    • View Profile
Re: Who's opening for STP?
« Reply #267 on: May 20, 2008, 06:53:45 AM »
According to the new issue of Rolling Stone (dated May 29th), Wolfmother will also be opening in addition to the aforementioned Frank Black.

tetro

• Ground Personnel
    • View Profile
« Reply #268 on: May 20, 2008, 06:56:31 AM »
Sure they deserve some slack, but seriously, this is their profession.  If they can't play songs they've written correctly, then time for them to either work harder or call it quits.

Fear 2 Stop

• Rightous Bald Dude
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • ╭∩╮(︶︿︶)╭∩╮
    • View Profile
« Reply #269 on: May 20, 2008, 07:08:50 AM »
What could possibly be so big an issue that it has to be kept a secret? Or at least not elaborated on a little? He's getting divorced? He had in fact relapsed on heroin and is still not completely recovered? I'd really preferred you hadn't mentioned something like that without explaining.

I wouldn't be surprised if he is getting divorced, but that shouldn't be a secret, as it seems like every year they seperate. I don't think he's back on smack again. I just hope it's not something medical due to all of the previous drug use.