September 29, 2024, 12:17:03 PM

Author Topic: General discussion about 2008 tour dates  (Read 115725 times)

Aaron

• Global Moderator
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
Re: Scott on the current tour.
« Reply #240 on: May 19, 2008, 09:27:02 PM »
Edited:
So far this tour Scott has botched at least a portion of the following songs (I believe there may be more, but I am working on memory right now):
Lounge Fly
Coma
Down
Vasoline
ILS

Quote from: "STPGurl"
Not disappointed, but a little surprised.

Fucked up ILS on Saturday, too. 

I think they just need a little time to get back into their groove.  Plus, Weiland always messes up/changes his own lyrics - after an 8 year hiatus or not.

I disagree, Jessie.  I just think there is more here than getting into a groove.  I understand there should be some rust, but these guys should be a mostly well oiled machine by now.  They should be more practiced up and more solid by this point.  Also fucking up ILS is even the more cause for concern, since VR was covering that one virtually all of 2007/2008. 

I dont know if its nerves or what, but if you're forgetting lyrics/cues make the adjustments ASAP.  These guys are professionals and these little slip ups should be very far beneath them. 

Weiland sometimes substitutes words, I'm used to that, but forgetting lines or mumbling lines because he cant remember isnt a good show, IMO.  They clearly need to rehearse more. 

Luckily they sound so good, or more people would be upset. 

what were the botches, specifically?

Nothing personal, but I really dont want to list everything, thats tedious for me.  You go do the work if you want to participate in this conversation :)  If you listen to the show (5/17/08) and read the comments and in the tour forum about the past two days shows then you will understand what we are talking about. 
« Last Edit: May 19, 2008, 09:29:50 PM by Aaron »

STPGurl

• Original Bad Girl
  • Cardinal
  • Sky Captain
  • Sucker for SRW
    • View Profile
    • SWBGC
« Reply #241 on: May 19, 2008, 09:29:36 PM »
Quote from: "Aaron"
Also fucking up ILS is even the more cause for concern, since VR has been covering that for months. 

Point taken.  I didn't follow VR very closely, and was unaware that they were covering it.  I didn't have the [dis]pleasure of seeing it when I DID see VR, back in 03.

Honestly, though, he can hum every word to every song, and I'd still love it.
How could they not notice it?! Because it's a little mint.  It's a Junior Mint!

Aaron

• Global Moderator
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #242 on: May 19, 2008, 09:30:55 PM »
Point taken.  I didn't follow VR very closely, and was unaware that they were covering it.  I didn't have the [dis]pleasure of seeing it when I DID see VR, back in 03.

Lol.  I would still enjoy that too, dont get me wrong, I love our boys, and voices/instruments are sounding great.  I'm just disappointed in the amount of polish here from pretty much everyone but Eric

Volant9353

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #243 on: May 19, 2008, 09:31:24 PM »
Yeah, but slash played ISLS much differently then Dean does so that could be throwing Scott off.
“I don't know where I'm going from here, but I promise it won't be boring.” - David Bowie

Stpilots98

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #244 on: May 19, 2008, 09:32:09 PM »

I've never been bothered by a performance by a band before and I am still bothered by Scott's last night.  I felt like I pissed about 100 bucks away.  Never in a million years would I think I would say that about this band.

Aaron

• Global Moderator
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #245 on: May 19, 2008, 09:39:29 PM »
Quote from: "Volant9353"
Yeah, but slash played ISLS much differently then Dean does so that could be throwing Scott off.

strum pattern was different- slightly faster.  Still, that shouldn't account for the change.  The song structure was identical.  Not to mention... Scott wrote the damn lyrics himself!

Aaron

• Global Moderator
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #246 on: May 19, 2008, 09:41:32 PM »
Quote from: "Stpilots98"
I've never been bothered by a performance by a band before and I am still bothered by Scott's last night.  I felt like I pissed about 100 bucks away.  Never in a million years would I think I would say that about this band.

Agreed.  The kind of mistakes they are making are the same kind my band used to occasionally make at live shows.  The difference is 10-50k people didnt pay $50+ to see my band each time.  I can assure you, for that money my band would have been led f***ing zeppelin :)

EclecticBohemian

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #247 on: May 19, 2008, 10:16:53 PM »
Jesus F-in' Christ, you nitpickers sound as bad as a goddamn critic!  

Mmk, ya want to analyze the hell out of everything?  Why don't you take things into perspective...being...

-The vocal issues on Kimmel were not all Weiland's fault.  Sound techs screwed up a few times.

-Saturday was their first major show back together...give them a break.

-Scott has major personal issues he's dealing with.  (Legal, personal, emotional, physical) 
(Can't reveal my sources or I'd have to kill you)

-One word...COLUMBUS!  For those of you who are not from here; this time of year for those of us with chronic allergies, it's HELL!  Not to mention there were HUGE storms all around the area Saturday.  The barometric pressure can seriously compromise vocals.

Jesus, always somebody gotta be pissin' on my parade.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2008, 10:27:41 PM by Anonymous »
Know what I\'m thinking?  No?  Neither do I!  ;Þ

Stpilots98

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #248 on: May 19, 2008, 10:25:07 PM »
Quote from: "EclecticBohemian"
Mmk, ya want to analyze the hell out of everything?  Why don't you take things into perspective...being...
-The vocal issues on Kimmel were not all Weiland's fault.  Sound techs screwed up a few times.
-Scott has major personal issues he's dealing with.  (Legal, personal, emotional, physical) 

-One word...COLUMBUS!  For those of you who are not from here; this time of year for those of us with chronic allergies, it's HELL!  Not to mention there were HUGE storms all around the area Saturday.  The barometric pressure can seriously compromise vocals.

I never said I had a problem with Scott's Voice.  Forgetting lyrics and botching multiple of your own songs is not forgivable especially when people spend $100 + dollars to attend their concerts.  I have no doubt he has a lot of issues to deal with, but honestly when does Scott not have a million different issues on his plate?  He always seems to put that aside and rock a killer concert.  Again I've seen him 12 times and never have been disappointed and I was very disappointed and upset a their show last night.  I'm not going to sugarcoat it because they are bar far my favorite studio and live band.  If they are bad I'm going to tell you they were bad and right now it is obvious they are not ready for a full blown tour. 

Aaron

• Global Moderator
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #249 on: May 19, 2008, 10:35:01 PM »

Agreed, but barometric pressure does not affect one's memories of lyrics. 

We all know by now that the Kimmel performance was either an aberration or a mixing problem.  Scott has sounded great vocally from the two official shows we've heard.  No one here is knocking Scotts vocals from the past two nights. 

I understand what you're saying, that its their first shows in a long time, and that Scott has swirling personal problems.  I'm just saying: it is what it is right now, and that the band needs to fix the problem and perform tighter shows.  If Scotts personal problems are so bad right now, then the reunion probably shouldn't have happened yet.  Let him straighten out his life, and then tour.  Everyone here wants to seem him do well.  I'd rather wait another few months and have a full on performance than a performance from a distracted singer.  Not to mention he has successfully toured with well documented personal problems on several occasions in the past.

That said, Scott is the best.  I'll take any Scott over no Scott.  But as a paying fan I have a legitimate and fair point here.  My argument isnt just with Scott either, the band as a whole seems off. 

If they are bad I'm going to tell you they were bad and right now it is obvious they are not ready for a full blown tour. 

Agreed.  Seems they should have taken another month to prepare. 
« Last Edit: May 19, 2008, 10:43:10 PM by Aaron »

EclecticBohemian

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #250 on: May 19, 2008, 10:42:53 PM »
Fair 'nuff guys.  It's your opinions and you're entitled to 'em. 

I just think a few months from now you might be saying "Ah, now it all makes sense."
Know what I\'m thinking?  No?  Neither do I!  ;Þ

Aaron

• Global Moderator
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #251 on: May 19, 2008, 10:46:29 PM »
Fair 'nuff guys.  It's your opinions and you're entitled to 'em. 

I just think a few months from now you might be saying "Ah, now it all makes sense."

Well if you know insider info then I am sure you're probably right.  I realize that these problems will work themselves out as they play more shows and (hopefully) practice more, but surely you can understand that a lot of people were hoping for a tighter first couple of performances. 

I want to see this STP reunion go well, and as such I hope they fix the problems promptly.  The only mistakes they are making are amateur ones, which are easily fixed.  Its just that these guys aren't amateurs, they're the best of the best, so we hold them to that standard.

JugeSTP

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
Re: The current tour performances
« Reply #252 on: May 19, 2008, 10:56:21 PM »
for what it's worth... I'd rather Scott sound good but forget lyrics here and there than him remember every word but sound like shit.

They've played 2 shows and they've hardly rehearsed. Ideal? No. But very promising. I was pretty discouraged after Kimmel. I'm feeling a lot better about this tour now. They'll tighten that stuff up. It's not like they rehearsed this tour AT ALL. Remember Weiland was still in VR a month ago. I'm choosing to stay optimistic. I feel a lot better after these two shows than I did after Kimmel.

Stop That Pigeon

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #253 on: May 19, 2008, 11:02:44 PM »
Quote from: "Aaron"
Its just that these guys aren't amateurs, they're the best of the best, so we hold them to that standard.

Very well said. It's not nitpicking to want STP to be at their best, especially for new and potential new fans. In the current music industry climate, these things do matter.

lovemachine97

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
Re: The current tour performances
« Reply #254 on: May 19, 2008, 11:16:23 PM »
Before we get out of control, let's think about some things:

1) I think the Vasoline trip up on Kimmel can be easily attributed to how they played the song in VR.  Slash took an extended solo.  You can easily see this on youtube.  Try getting used to playing a song for years with an extended guitar solo, then all of a sudden play it on TV with different guys and the solo goes by FAST because it is several measures shorter.

2) His voice was strained after the last VR tour, with Scott even mentioning it in an interview.  He probably took really good care, not singing, with an inability to go 100% during most of the rehearsals, if he even showed.  The band screwing up songs, which I have heard they have, is on them, not Scott.  Remember:  The DeLeo's have only played a few of these songs over the past 5 years (Dean even mentioned having to go back to the record and relearn songs), and Scott a few others.  Eric hasn't played any of them.

There is going to be rust.  It'll work itself out.