September 29, 2024, 10:31:14 AM

Author Topic: General discussion about 2008 tour dates  (Read 115722 times)

24STP24

• Flight Attendant
    • View Profile
Re: Scott on the current tour.
« Reply #225 on: May 19, 2008, 04:28:29 PM »
Quote from: "Aaron"
So far this tour Scott has botched at least a portion of the following songs (I believe there may be more, but I am working on memory right now):
Lounge Fly
Coma
Down
Vasoline

I know I'll get chastised for this, but that is pretty pathetic.  Luckily his voice sounds so great or people would be more upset, but its pretty ridiculous that the band is struggling through songs at this point.  With all the news swirling around Scott right now, you think he would buckle down and get the job done- get practiced up and know your own songs.  The guy is my favorite singer in Rock and Roll, but he clearly is taking things for granted here, while no doubt cashing that fat paycheck the band keeps talking about. 

I'm not limiting this to just Scott either, the band in a few situations seems to be off cue as well.  Take the beginning of All in the suit... There is clearly hesitation as to that the song is starting.  I know they haven't been playing shows TOGETHER in 5-6 years, but the band has been playing shows in their side projects.  I know people will defend them saying early tour jitters, etc; however the fact of the matter remains that these guys are professionals.  They should be well rehearsed and not having these problems at this point.  They are paid millions to show up and be professionals. 

I love STP more than just about anything.  The music and Scotts voice both sound great, but I really feel like songs shouldn't be getting screwed up right now.  Lots of big bands have reuinited after long breaks without these major hic-ups. 

STP seems to be on the right track for the first time in a long time: variations of recorded songs (not just playing the song the same as the cd version), rotating setlists (still remains to be seen), good variety of songs, energetic performances by the members.  However, they clearly need to rehearse more. 

Is anyone else a little disappointed? 

I went to the Columbus show. I wasn't disappointed, because it was a great show, but I get where you're coming from. I'm not a musician, so I can't say how hard it is to remember every line, chord, beat, etc. But yeah, I don't think it's a joking matter, because I payed $60+ to go that show. Alot of hardworking people pay premium prices to see their favorite bands and don't want to see a halfassed effort. Your comments have merit.

Stop That Pigeon

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #226 on: May 19, 2008, 04:34:26 PM »
STP seems to be on the right track for the first time in a long time: variations of recorded songs (not just playing the song the same as the cd version), rotating setlists (still remains to be seen), good variety of songs, energetic performances by the members.  However, they clearly need to rehearse more. 

Is anyone else a little disappointed? 

Yes, I have to agree. Certainly, we know that Scott has rehearsed very little and that has clearly had a knock-on effect on the band as a whole.

They need to tighten up and fast otherwise there will be way too much negativity floating around...and we all know what happens then...

I remain positive, though - as you said, they're trying some new things, and with some hard work during soundchecks there's no reason why they can't sort it out.

24STP24

• Flight Attendant
    • View Profile
« Reply #227 on: May 19, 2008, 04:35:54 PM »
With all that being said, I still don't think fans will be disappointed with the live experience.

Aaron

• Global Moderator
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #228 on: May 19, 2008, 04:37:43 PM »
Quote from: "24STP24"
With all that being said, I still don't think fans will be disappointed with the live experience.

Oh I agree.  I cant wait to see them, and I'm sure I wouldnt be disappointed.  Just saying that you would expect them to be firing on all cylinders, and as of yet, they're not. 

On the bright side, this can be easily fixed.  They sound great, they're just rusty (Scott more so than the others).

MAZZA26

• Co-Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #229 on: May 19, 2008, 04:42:30 PM »
Well one thing that I find fascinating is his new look.
Now some people on here will think "who cares man, he can do what he wants, as long as stp are together" or some girls may even comment that "however scott looks, that guy is sexy." 
Judging by the latest clips, I think not.  In fact he looks even more stranger than the "2001 rolling rock" look.  I want to say this is my own personal opinion, I think the guy is hugely talented, and even speaking from a male heterosexual perspective he is a good-looking guy, most of his different styles I have loved - from the bleached-blonde short haired "core" look - to the tiny music era where he grew his hair, facial beard and wore eyeliner which i particularly thought was cool, even when he grew his hair/sideburns/facial hair on the video "hello it's late" - that was amazing - how a guy can look so different yet still retain a cool rock 'n roll edge is beyond me!!  I like his changes. But I really don't understand his latest look??  Doesn't suit him at all!!!  Especially as only 2 weeks ago I thought he was back to looking like he did in the tiny music era, but skinnier of course!
Oh well - I suppose voice/performance is much more important - perhaps he will suprise us throughout the tour with different looks/styles - that would be cool, and who the hell am I to say what style he should adopt, but a bit like britney shaving off all her hair, it fascinates me why people make these sorts of decisions - i wish i could be more spontaneous!!

24STP24

• Flight Attendant
    • View Profile
« Reply #230 on: May 19, 2008, 05:08:27 PM »
Quote from: "MAZZA26"
Well one thing that I find fascinating is his new look.
Now some people on here will think "who cares man, he can do what he wants, as long as stp are together" or some girls may even comment that "however scott looks, that guy is sexy." 
Judging by the latest clips, I think not.  In fact he looks even more stranger than the "2001 rolling rock" look.  I want to say this is my own personal opinion, I think the guy is hugely talented, and even speaking from a male heterosexual perspective he is a good-looking guy, most of his different styles I have loved - from the bleached-blonde short haired "core" look - to the tiny music era where he grew his hair, facial beard and wore eyeliner which i particularly thought was cool, even when he grew his hair/sideburns/facial hair on the video "hello it's late" - that was amazing - how a guy can look so different yet still retain a cool rock 'n roll edge is beyond me!!  I like his changes. But I really don't understand his latest look??  Doesn't suit him at all!!!  Especially as only 2 weeks ago I thought he was back to looking like he did in the tiny music era, but skinnier of course!
Oh well - I suppose voice/performance is much more important - perhaps he will suprise us throughout the tour with different looks/styles - that would be cool, and who the hell am I to say what style he should adopt, but a bit like britney shaving off all her hair, it fascinates me why people make these sorts of decisions - i wish i could be more spontaneous!!

I found the new look to be interesting to say the least. Yeah, I wish I had the guts to change my look all the time too. haha.

thejackal

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #231 on: May 19, 2008, 05:25:01 PM »
I agree with Weiland needing to tighten up on missing lyrics.  However, my fears after Kimmel have been put to rest, they still "have it".  I also don't think they have worked together very much, and I am not saying that as an excuse-just a fact.  They need to rehearse more together.  These current problems, though I do think are somewhat minor after only 2 shows can be worked out much easier than Weiland sounding like he just smoked 2 packs and drank a bottle of bourbon.  My guess is because they have been doing other projects they may have thought it would be easier to jump in the STP saddle again without needing to put forth the same preparation.

I give them the benefit of the doubt so far and the only brutal miss that ruined a song was Down.  I thought he saved Loungefly pretty well.  Once you get "off" singing on that song it is tough to get back on.

As good as Weiland was on Lady Picture Show, he can screw up 1 song a night if he can nail that thing like I've heard so far. 

24STP24

• Flight Attendant
    • View Profile
« Reply #232 on: May 19, 2008, 05:27:56 PM »
Quote from: "thejackal"
I agree with Weiland needing to tighten up on missing lyrics.  However, my fears after Kimmel have been put to rest, they still "have it".  I also don't think they have worked together very much, and I am not saying that as an excuse-just a fact.  They need to rehearse more together.  These current problems, though I do think are somewhat minor after only 2 shows can be worked out much easier than Weiland sounding like he just smoked 2 packs and drank a bottle of bourbon.  My guess is because they have been doing other projects they may have thought it would be easier to jump in the STP saddle again without needing to put forth the same preparation.

I give them the benefit of the doubt so far and the only brutal miss that ruined a song was Down.  I thought he saved Loungefly pretty well.  Once you get "off" singing on that song it is tough to get back on.

As good as Weiland was on Lady Picture Show, he can screw up 1 song a night if he can nail that thing like I've heard so far. 

He did nail Lady Picture Show.

AdhesiveLove27

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
Re: Whats the deal ...
« Reply #233 on: May 19, 2008, 07:11:21 PM »
Quote from: "justbill"
Perhaps. . . Studio time? Make an EP?! I know, I know. . . wishful thinking at best.

Lets just hope were all that lucky
\\\"If You Don\\\'t Stop Thinkin\\\' Soon You Will Be Drinkin\\\' And You\\\'re Better Off Just Stay

Volant9353

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #234 on: May 19, 2008, 08:37:23 PM »
Scott models himself after his idol David bowie...who was known to change his look every couple of years, when bowie first premiered the "thin white duke" look people didn't know what to make of it, but now that is probably Bowie's most known look. I am just glad he is done with the VR "metal" look.

Also we as fans should look at this the same way Dean and Robert do, STP is an unmade bed, but it is the best bed we have ever known. Lets be glad we can crawl back into it. Scott will start to nail the lyrics sooner than later, i am just glad to have the guys back!
“I don't know where I'm going from here, but I promise it won't be boring.” - David Bowie

JugeSTP

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #235 on: May 19, 2008, 09:00:51 PM »
So far this tour Scott has botched at least a portion of the following songs (I believe there may be more, but I am working on memory right now):
Lounge Fly
Coma
Down
Vasoline

what were the botches, specifically?

HerdJC

• Flight Attendant
    • View Profile
« Reply #236 on: May 19, 2008, 09:02:07 PM »
Honestly, I can look past a couple of small errors.  I noticed a couple here and there on Saturday, but being there and realizing that I was listening to them live and being absorbed in the atmosphere I didn't really care.  

justbill

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #237 on: May 19, 2008, 09:04:32 PM »
The tour just started. . . let the man get into his little vibe. Let's all just look past these errors, they're not as bad. It's obvious he has dealt with a lot shit recently. And it could be worse folks, let's face it.
-Bill_

STPGurl

• Original Bad Girl
  • Cardinal
  • Sky Captain
  • Sucker for SRW
    • View Profile
    • SWBGC
« Reply #238 on: May 19, 2008, 09:06:41 PM »
Not disappointed, but a little surprised.

Fucked up ILS on Saturday, too. 

I think they just need a little time to get back into their groove.  Plus, Weiland always messes up/changes his own lyrics - after an 8 year hiatus or not.
How could they not notice it?! Because it's a little mint.  It's a Junior Mint!

Stpilots98

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #239 on: May 19, 2008, 09:17:56 PM »
I went to the camden show yesterday was very very disappointed.  Check out my review here  http://www.belowempty.com/forum/index.php?topic=2247.50

I Have seen Mr. Weiland 12 times and this is by far the worst I've ever seen Scott.

And yes I agree his look is very very weird.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2008, 09:20:45 PM by Stpilots98 »