August 19, 2024, 02:58:17 PM

Author Topic: 2008-05-17 - Columbus, OH - Rock On The Range  (Read 50260 times)

JugeSTP

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
Re: 2008-05-17 - Columbus, OH - Rock On The Range
« Reply #285 on: May 19, 2008, 10:37:52 PM »
so after spending most of the day plastering the forum with posts in order to get up to 50... I've now listened to the entire Columbus show. Seems like the focus has been on Scott's vocals, so I'll give my rantings on the Columbus show out of 10 per song:

1. Big Empty - safe, but sounded pretty good. 7/10
2. Wicked Garden- very solid. Kind of surprised me how much he nailed it 8/10
3. Big Bang Baby- absolutely terrible. Either stop playing it, or figure out how to sing it 3/10
4. Vasoline - a little better than Kimmel. Pretty solid. 7/10
5. Lady Picture Show - NAILED IT. Not a huge fan of the song, but he was on and the solo was terrifc 9/10
6. Lounge Fly- Lyrical screw ups and average on delivery. Seemed like a fish out of water 5/10
7. Sour Girl - I didn't like how fast they played the song, and Weiland was flustered by it. They also changed up the ending of the song, and lack of practice with Weiland threw him off as the song wrapped up. Otherwise he sounded ok 6/10
8. Creep - fairly safe, but sounded good. 7/10
9. Plush - he's had a lot of practice with this one and you can tell :) 9/10
10. Interstate Love Song - it was a little flat and didn't have the soaring drive it usually does, but Weiland sounded very good 8/10
11. Coma- Weiland didn't even attempt the pre-chorus high notes, which is weak. He also mixed up the order of lyrics and screwed up. Sounded ok on other parts 6/10
12. Down - AWESOME! Nailed the high notes. Sang the beginining perfectly. Ended it about as well as he ever has 9/10
13. All in the Suit That you Wear- The intro into the song was terrible. Mostly Weiland's fault I'm sure, again, for not practicing enough. Otherwise, pretty good. 7/10
14. Sex Type Thing - SOLID! I guess singing that song with VR helped out 8.5/10
15. Trippin' - MUCH BETTER THAN KIMMEL. Phew, I was worried I'd be embarassed agian by this one. 7/10
16. Dead & Bloated - Solid 8/10

That's my rating. That's about an average of 6.7 out of 10 per song. Not bad and it'll only get better. Honestly, the only one I thought was unacceptable was Big Bang Baby... and the rest was more rhythm and lyrics problems than anything else. Good job Scott! This should only get better.

Meatplow

• Flight Attendant
    • View Profile
« Reply #286 on: May 19, 2008, 11:04:55 PM »
STP put on the amazing show I expected. It made it worth putting up with the shitty bands that played before them (with the exception of maybe two).

I caught a bit of video, including the entire 'Dead and Bloated' performance. I'll upload soon.

stpwkdgrdn

• Contributors
  • Co-Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #287 on: May 20, 2008, 12:49:57 AM »
Not too shabby at all for a first full set in 6 years.  Dean's pedal projected his sound so far beyond the stadium.  It was amazing.  I can't say it was their best performance, but the sight of them on stage again meant the world to me.

EclecticBohemian

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #288 on: May 20, 2008, 01:47:42 AM »
Um, can anyone help my simple-ass?  I registered on that torrent thing, it let me after a couple tries.  Got my confirmation email, responded, etc.  It lets me log in but as soon as I try to find STP it kicks me out and says I need to log in.  What the bloody hell??!!  I was logged in!
Know what I\'m thinking?  No?  Neither do I!  ;Þ

White Knuckles

• Contributors
  • Co-Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #289 on: May 20, 2008, 04:25:53 AM »
I thought the show was fucking AWESOME... I was so happy to hear wicked garden and big bang baby... and I tried taping a few songs, its just on my lil camera tho, so not too good quality, but once I get the chance I will upload them for you guys, I tried getting All in the suite that you wear, but Im not sure how the sound came out yet

White Knuckles

• Contributors
  • Co-Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #290 on: May 20, 2008, 05:05:47 AM »
part of all in the suite that you wear
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=Q2KTOBI3

boynamedsue

• Ground Personnel
    • View Profile
Rolling Stone.com Coverage of Rock On The Range Performance
« Reply #291 on: May 20, 2008, 06:07:09 AM »
Just thought I'd share this with you guys....

http://www.rollingstone.com/rockdaily/i ... -festival/

StoneTempleBrett

• AlternativeNation.net & STPfans.com
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • Pooper Scooper
    • View Profile
    • AlternativeNation.net
Re: Rolling Stone.com Coverage of Rock On The Range Performance
« Reply #292 on: May 20, 2008, 06:34:14 AM »
They're on the front page!  Now they need a cover story in the MAGAZINE!

STP Shows: 5/1/08, 6/24/08, 12/31/08, 7/1/09, 5/25/10, 6/5/10, 10/29/10, 9/22/12, 5/30/13, 9/1/13
Velvet Revolver Shows: 7/22/06, 9/15/07
Scott Weiland Shows: 12/14/08, 12/8/11

EclecticBohemian

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #293 on: May 20, 2008, 07:15:55 AM »
Nice pic also.  I wasn't really feelin' the new blond Scott but that shot isn't too bad.  I'm betting it will be red within a month.  ;)
Know what I\'m thinking?  No?  Neither do I!  ;Þ

tatiana

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #294 on: May 20, 2008, 12:22:04 PM »
aside from nearly getting killed in drowning pool's mosh pit on sunday (two people left in stretchers and i am now out a pair of lv sunglasses) - side note - there should be a weight limit for crowd surfers too, it was fantastic. we had field so we were in the thick of it for all of the shows but i think drowning pool's was the worse.

you gotta watch out for those flying bottles too. i'm short so i just stand by tall guys.

the whole experience was great (minus the $8 beers although my sister and i basically stayed loaded on saturday). really - for so many people being there, it ran pretty well.

loved ashes divide, disturbed, airborne, filter, and drowning pool (see above disclaimer).

loved loved loved five finger death punch and papa roach (which i never thought i would say in a million years). and three doors down just seem like good old southern boys.

when stp hit the stage - i wanted to cry as i couldn't believe they really were back together and so soon. it took me back to music midtown some years ago when i last saw them. the dudes we hooked up with were blown away by it and thought it was ridiculously funny that i knew all the words to all the songs. there was one point when scott headed out in the audience and my sister looked at me like "oh shit, here he comes".

they sounded really great. scott's not looking so hot but he was moving good. i just always wanna feed that boy a sandwich.
Born free. Now I\\\'m Expensive.

loungefly611

• The Other Scott
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
    • Scott 'The Madness' Stessl
« Reply #295 on: May 20, 2008, 01:12:37 PM »
Quote from: "tatiana"
loved loved loved five finger death punch and papa roach (which i never thought i would say in a million years)

Papa Roach has definitely evolved into a great straight forward rock band. There last two albums are fantastic compared to the rap-rock days of Infest. They put on a great live show too.
Dedicated. Disgusting. Disturbing.

I'm just sittin' on this merry-go-round, and the music is too loud..

Meatplow

• Flight Attendant
    • View Profile
« Reply #296 on: May 20, 2008, 01:47:12 PM »
Quote from: "tatiana"
aside from nearly getting killed in drowning pool's mosh pit on sunday (two people left in stretchers and i am now out a pair of lv sunglasses) - side note - there should be a weight limit for crowd surfers too, it was fantastic. we had field so we were in the thick of it for all of the shows but i think drowning pool's was the worse.

you gotta watch out for those flying bottles too. i'm short so i just stand by tall guys.

Yep, I saw two that left in stretchers on Saturday. The bottle throwing got a little out of hand. I would take a couple bottles to the head if it meant they'd lower the damn prices of the beer, though ($8 for a fucking Bud Lite? Give me a break).

I thought the crowd would get worse during STP's performance, but it actually mellowed everybody out. Some kids asked me to help them start a mosh pit during Wicked Garden, which was funny.

JugeSTP

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #297 on: May 20, 2008, 02:05:43 PM »
Quote from: "loungefly611"
Papa Roach has definitely evolved into a great straight forward rock band.

Disappointed to hear you say that. That band is utter garbage. Just terrible.

Volant9353

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #298 on: May 20, 2008, 02:35:28 PM »
Its good to see them featured in Rolling Stone again, they definitely need a cover, there is enough material for a great cover story since they were last featured in RS.
“I don't know where I'm going from here, but I promise it won't be boring.” - David Bowie

loungefly611

• The Other Scott
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
    • Scott 'The Madness' Stessl
« Reply #299 on: May 20, 2008, 03:00:40 PM »
Quote from: "JugeSTP"
Disappointed to hear you say that. That band is utter garbage. Just terrible.

Have you heard their newer material lately? Much better then their earlier efforts. I gave up on them until I heard their last two albums.

But to each their own.
Dedicated. Disgusting. Disturbing.

I'm just sittin' on this merry-go-round, and the music is too loud..