September 12, 2024, 05:26:24 AM

Author Topic: 2008-05-17 - Columbus, OH - Rock On The Range  (Read 52086 times)

Lazy Divey

• Pink love fuzz
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • Kid'll eat ivy too, wouldn't you?
    • View Profile
Re: 2008-05-17 - Columbus, OH - Rock On The Range
« Reply #255 on: May 18, 2008, 10:43:58 PM »
Scott's outfit makes him look amish.

48 posts to go.

Son Of Sam

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #256 on: May 18, 2008, 10:52:12 PM »
Quote from: "stpfan77"
Having just listened to the whole performance, beginning to end, I have to say I am very, very impressed.

Just 2 minor criticisms: 1) Scott's vocals during the chorus of Big Bang Baby were a little frantic and didn't seem to fit the melody too well (I can't imagine it's as easy to hit those high notes now as it was years ago); 2) Scott clearly forgot some lyrics here and there, as many have already pointed out, or in some cases repeated the same vocals at the wrong times (like in the chorus of Coma where he kept singing "It's just a game but no one's playing" during the part that's supposed to go "Nobody's breathin' in a coma!").

Once again, minor minor complaints in the overall scheme of things. They still sounded great, and most importantly, Scott's voice held up quite well over the course of the show - which many of us had our concerns about after the Kimmel performance.

I'm super-excited for next Sunday in Wallingford, for May 31st in Holmdel N.J. and for Aug. 8th in Bethlehem, Pa.

STP is BACK!!!!!
I have to say, this is the best live version of Sour Girl I've heard! I like it better than the album. I think its Deleo's chords that bring the beauty of the song out! It has a cool groove to it!

stpfan77

• Contributors
  • Co-Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #257 on: May 18, 2008, 11:08:13 PM »
Quote from: "Son Of Sam"
I have to say, this is the best live version of Sour Girl I've heard! I like it better than the album. I think its Deleo's chords that bring the beauty of the song out! It has a cool groove to it!

Yeah - Sour Girl did sound particularly good. My fave version of it though is one of just Dean and Scott - no percussion, just the guitar melody and Scott's beautiful voice. It's kind of a rare version I guess - I've seen a radio performance of it on youtube, and I have it from years back on a rare, acoustic STP CD that I purchased on Ebay. I'd LOVE for them to maybe break out a song or 2 here and there with just Dean and Scott - let Robert and Eric have a smoke or a beer for a few songs while the other 2 just strip it down. I wouldn't be surprised to see that eventually, but I can see why they might opt not to do something like that at an all-day festival featuring primarily heavier bands.

This is probably also why they didn't do the whole extended acoustic middle-of-the-show mini-set that they've typically done in the past. I noticed that last night it was just Sour Girl and Creep for the slowed-down middle part of the show - and all the rest was rockin' out. Still great though.

I have a feeling that by the time this tour is all over, we'll have seen very many different combinations of songs, set vibes and overall types of performances. This is the perfect time - not bound by record label demands, not promoting new material - just out to relive the magic of their old music for the fans that love them. Can't wait, can't wait indeed.
It\'s more or less the same old story
The princess and the whore the lady!

jimmy j

• Ground Personnel
    • View Profile
« Reply #258 on: May 18, 2008, 11:41:44 PM »
Good God, they sound so good. I'm seriously starting to consider getting tickets for a show in June. I have tickets for the August Charlotte show but last night's show is driving me crazy. I don't want to wait! Its been 7 years since I saw them last. Must......see.........STP............now!!!

stpblaine2

• Ground Personnel
    • View Profile
« Reply #259 on: May 18, 2008, 11:43:30 PM »
THIS SOUNDS SO BAD ASS!!!

June 28th will be a good day

loungefly611

• The Other Scott
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
    • Scott 'The Madness' Stessl
« Reply #260 on: May 18, 2008, 11:48:57 PM »
Quote from: "TemplePilot"
"Big Empty" as the opener took everyone by surprise. Never would have called that. "

Pearl Jam usually opens their shows with slower tempo songs, so I'm glad STP is going in a similar route. Hearing a rocker to start things off gets old after awhile.

NOW hopefully they will go a similar route like Pearl Jam and switch up the setlist each night.
Dedicated. Disgusting. Disturbing.

I'm just sittin' on this merry-go-round, and the music is too loud..

live2cd

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
    • Facebook.
« Reply #261 on: May 18, 2008, 11:56:19 PM »
Filter: http://www.dimeadozen.org/torrents-deta ... ?id=197235

These were the only 2 I taped. Because well, who would want to hear the other bands? Not me.
-Dewey

Art School Boy

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #262 on: May 19, 2008, 12:15:45 AM »
it was the most amazing experience of my life.
i am smellin like a rose that somebody gave me on my birthday deathbed

Rik

• Webmaster
  • Administrator
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
    • http://www.belowempty.com
« Reply #263 on: May 19, 2008, 12:21:12 AM »
This will not be linked to from the main site until later this week, but here's a preview of the new Picture Archive, which is still very much under construction with empty pages, error messages, etc. It has the new tour's pictures. More will be added over the next few days and weeks:

http://www.belowempty.com/pictures.php?do=showgallery&type=concert&sub=STP&id=113

S.I.N

• Contributors
  • Co-Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #264 on: May 19, 2008, 01:05:54 AM »
I think Scott looked much better with this suit and hair combo than he did on Kimmel. Not that that is all that important; however it is "All In The Suit That You Wear" after all ;) ...
« Last Edit: May 19, 2008, 01:15:28 AM by S.I.N »

KingSnake

• Cardinal
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
    • http://www.whitestripes.net
« Reply #265 on: May 19, 2008, 01:26:18 AM »
Wow, they sure do sound amazing!  Love the changes they made to some of the songs.. Woohoo, welcome back ST motherfucking P!
My web community: WhiteStripes.net (13 years old as of Feb 2015)

S.I.N

• Contributors
  • Co-Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #266 on: May 19, 2008, 01:37:50 AM »
Just got through listening to the show. They really did sound great but I expected as much from the quality of this band. Love the little differences mentioned in the singing and especially in the guitar parts and solo's (That Sour Girl solo is quite nice *although I wish it had been even longer!*, and im not the biggest fan of the song).

Also I thought that the length of the show for a festival was pretty good. I hope that as they move along in the tour and get through the festival sets that they lengthen it a good bit.

Thanks to the taper for a quality job and quick up. STP is definitely back!

smoofcool

• Contributors
  • Co-Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #267 on: May 19, 2008, 01:39:56 AM »
i would also like to the thank the taper, thanks for the quick upload as well.

24STP24

• Flight Attendant
    • View Profile
« Reply #268 on: May 19, 2008, 02:42:28 AM »
I have a couple of questions that hopefully someone could help my ignorant ass out with. Could someone please explain to me what a torrent is? Do you need any special software do download off of the dimeadozen.org website? Finally, is the download that is available in the downloads forum of this site the same as the one available off of the dimeadozen site? Thanks in advance.

Also, a few comments about the show as I was in attendance.

-Liked the "Big Empty" intro... unique to what many other bands usually do.
-I agree that "Sour Girl" sounded particularly good.
-Was really glad to hear "Lounge Fly," because it's one of my all-time favorites and it's something different to hear.
-I really liked the flow of the setlist and the Coma/Down combo
-I liked the video screen behind the stage. It really added to the experience.
-Could anyone give me a setlist/review of Filter. I didn't get to see them, because I didn't want to give up my spot for STP.
-Thanks to the taper. I really enjoyed listening and can't tell you how much I appreciate you uploading that.

Cheers to a great, first STP show in quite some time.

Peebs

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • Ghetto Fabulous
    • View Profile
« Reply #269 on: May 19, 2008, 02:45:20 AM »
I got home this afternoon.
BEAT as hell (Camp Freddy in LA on Thursday night then went to Ohio) but maaaaaaaaaan that was fucking awesome! I wouldn't have missed that for the world!  I was in the middle of the crowd and everyone around me was so into it.
They sounded and looked great and I can't wait for the PNC show on the 31st.
If you don't like STP, then you're pretty much not American (from a MO message board)