July 02, 2024, 12:22:47 PM

Author Topic: Stone Temple Pilots Reunion 2008 Rumour Topic  (Read 34030 times)

Jenkinsons

• Contributors
  • Co-Pilot
    • View Profile
    • http://www.imdb.com/name/nm1246112/
Re: just stop playing Big Bang Baby live
« Reply #165 on: May 30, 2008, 03:02:46 PM »
Thanks, Silvergun.  Hopefully I won't ruffle any feathers when I say that of any songs on Tiny Music (including Press Play and Daisy), BBB would be my last choice to get to hear live.
If I was stronger I could be a mountain range
If night was longer Could I escape the day?

Long Way Home

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: May 30, 2008, 03:17:44 PM »
I hope they keep it through when I see them in August. Richard Patrick singing it with AoA was nice, but it's certainly not the same thing.

SilvergunSuperman

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: May 30, 2008, 03:32:19 PM »
Quote from: "Jenkinsons"
Thanks, Silvergun.  Hopefully I won't ruffle any feathers when I say that of any songs on Tiny Music (including Press Play and Daisy), BBB would be my last choice to get to hear live.
Its one of my least favorite songs on the album...but catchy.

Silvergun Picture Show

• They Call Me Phil.
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • Buy a minute, spend an hour burnin' burnin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: May 30, 2008, 05:28:49 PM »
Quote from: "Jenkinsons"

Yah totally...I would take seven caged tigers, adhesive, or ride the cliche (even tho the guys hate that song) over BBB but I love anything STP!!
STP: 08/22/10 - Cleveland, OH.
        08/28/10 - Pittsburgh, PA.

"Some of my finest hours have been spent on my back veranda, smoking hemp and observing as far as my eye could see."
-Thoman Jefferson

MAZZA26

• Co-Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: May 31, 2008, 03:50:57 AM »
Quote from: "Silvergun Picture Show"
Yah man your def a minority on this board alot of us hold silvergun superman as one of our favorite STP songs...I highly disagree with you saying it's not in their top 20. but it is all personal opinion and what you like so whatever.

But to Big Bang Baby I think it sounds fine and really awesome. Scott sounded completley different on that album than all the others so to recreate that sound when he was using drugs would be kinda hard because he hasn't sounded like that since....

Hey silvergun - thanks for the reply.
Yeah I can't really argue with your opinion - I think Silvergun Superman is a cool song, but not one of my top 20, still if it's in weiland's range then that's great!!  You are right about Scott recreating the sound of tiny music though - that would be quite difficult, and actually it's probably partly why certain songs don't get played from that album - adhesive, art-school girlfriend, seven caged tigers, pops love suicide - although quite a few people request these songs i'm sure that it's down to if scott can do something with these songs rather than the musical aspect.  As for Big Bang Baby - it's a really great song in my opinion and he is DEFINITELY singing it purposely in a different style!!  It sort of works - but he should rehearse it a little more!

oldman

• Flight Attendant
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: May 31, 2008, 03:59:05 AM »
I agree that Scott's doing it that way on purpose. Listen carefully - his voice isn't cracking nor is he straining. It's just a "new" way to do an "old" song.  I'm sure it must be kinda boring doing the same songs the same ways for years at a time (even with a 7 year break!). Just my opinion. As to keeping the song in the set...why not...there are lots of other songs they COULD do but they've been trying to get a groove going on the ones they're using right now. After a while I'm positive it'll change up again and then people will be complaining that ______ "sounds like crap". To each their own - as long as the band is back together and can keep it so long enough to finish the tour and (OH MY) realease another CD I'll be thrilled!

MedicBarbie

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: May 31, 2008, 06:11:04 AM »
I agree with you oldman (that just sounds wrong :P)

My other half and I decided today that Scott has one of those voices that doesn't strain - no matter what octave or pitch he's singing.  He's got great range.   :)  Not too many people can say that.

coma09

• Contributors
  • Flight Attendant
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: May 31, 2008, 08:28:03 AM »
to me he sounds like he's singin it in a very smug kinda way, not a big fan of him singin it that way but maybe it will evolve as the tour progresses

dog_day_prophet

• Flight Attendant
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: May 31, 2008, 09:22:15 AM »
I thought it was awesome when I saw it in Chicago.  It totally took me by surprise, since I wasn't expecting them to do BBB anyway, but I loved the new twist, along with a handful of people on this board.  For a man of many voices, it was awesome to hear a new one on an old song. 

Also, I don't mean to start any battles here, but what is with the general obsession with Adhesive?  I never thought it was in the best half off of Tiny Music in the first place.  Again, no animosity sought, just curious.

detomaso

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: May 31, 2008, 01:47:31 PM »
BBB isn't one of my favorite songs, but I like the way they're performing it live.

Jenkinsons

• Contributors
  • Co-Pilot
    • View Profile
    • http://www.imdb.com/name/nm1246112/
« Reply #175 on: June 02, 2008, 05:53:01 PM »
Even though I had hoped for more *different* songs at the PNC show, and overall it could have been better, and as I've already stated BBB is not one of my faves from Tiny Music, I agree with detomaso.
If I was stronger I could be a mountain range
If night was longer Could I escape the day?

Ivy

• Administrator
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: June 05, 2008, 09:40:23 AM »
Quote from: "coma09"
to me he sounds like he's singin it in a very smug kinda way, not a big fan of him singin it that way but maybe it will evolve as the tour progresses

Agreed..100%. That's what I thought when I first heard it. I loved how it sounded in 2002..
Have a coke and a smile and shut the fuck up.

Somba Nova

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
    • http://www.cobhammar.wordpress.com
« Reply #177 on: June 06, 2008, 08:16:57 PM »
im suprised so many of you guys dont like BBB. thats one of my favorite songs.
that said, im not too big on the way scott has been singing it, id much rather he sing it like it is on the album.
In Here, We\'re All Anemic.

wayne gretzky

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: June 06, 2008, 08:48:15 PM »
BBB is great ,, was just cranking it this afternoon

AdhesiveLove27

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: June 06, 2008, 09:03:26 PM »
To me BBB and Trippin' On A Hole In A Paper Heart kinda are similar in way..(So its funny i took to one and not the other) I've always prefered TOAH more.. So I wouldnt cry if BBB magically dropped off the setlist and was replace by say "Glide" or "Adhesive" :)
\\\"If You Don\\\'t Stop Thinkin\\\' Soon You Will Be Drinkin\\\' And You\\\'re Better Off Just Stay