July 04, 2024, 03:15:18 PM

Author Topic: Stone Temple Pilots Reunion 2008 Rumour Topic  (Read 34099 times)

dskpilots

• Flight Attendant
    • View Profile
Re: just stop playing Big Bang Baby live
« Reply #180 on: June 10, 2008, 03:46:43 PM »
Quote from: "Ivy"
Agreed..100%. That's what I thought when I first heard it. I loved how it sounded in 2002..

In STL on 6/8, he sang it like it was recorded from the Core album.  It sounded very strange.

SacriNoire

• Contributors
  • Co-Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: June 25, 2008, 07:01:33 AM »
I don't like BBB very long time.  now it is fantastic song for me! But I agree that on concerts Scott while not very much well carries out this song.
We grew writh the speed of light
But crashed in the night

So hold on to something still...

BrainofJD

• Ground Personnel
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: June 25, 2008, 07:11:00 AM »
I really feel that scott is getting back to singing this the right way instead of like how he would with VR. Every concert it sounds better and better so i say keep it on there

NovaAngel19

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: June 25, 2008, 09:06:55 AM »
Quote from: "JugeSTP"
I love the song, but judging from the bootlegs Scott sounds like absolute crap on them. I just saw a vid from one of the Connecticut shows, and man does he sound awesome on Silvergun Superman... My point is it's not a problem with anything else. Overall I think Scott's voice sounds ok, I just think Big Bang Baby should be removed from the setlist. That song is being butchered every night. The rest sounds passable to very solid. Any agree/disagree?

I agree. I like the song in the studio, but not so much live. It's cool that they're playing together again ... but just by looking at the setlist I really wish that STP would go out on a limb and try some different songs. Even if they did 3 rare songs, that would make the show worth going to (at least for me). A shuffled version of the same setlist they played for years doesn't interest me.

They should at least drop BBB and do an electric version of Seven Caged Tigers + 2 rarities. That's not much to ask.

MAZZA26

• Co-Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: June 26, 2008, 12:34:54 AM »
IF they decide not to play Big Bang Baby (an exceptional tune in my humble opinion) then surely they have to choose either Pop's Love Suicide or Tumble In The Rough as a replacement!!!!  To sort of represent the 1996 psychedelic riff laden tiny music era.  I think the new live version of BBB from what I have heard potentially sounds not too bad, very glam rock.  However Scott has to hit some of the notes..........and whilst we are all debating about which songs should be in the setlist, I think it's all about which songs are in Weiland's range.

Scott may want to desperately sing Still Remains, Seven Caged Tigers or even kitchenware and candy bars but maybe he can't.  I'm sure it's not about the musical aspect.........of course some songs require or are enhanced by layers of guitar or other instruments, Atlanta without the "acoustic" aspect or even "I got You" without slide would be odd, as would "Transmissions from a lonely room" without a sitar.  Anyway this period we are now in without gigs will be an indication as to what is happening, if the setlist is mixed up a little in the coming gigs then it proves the guys have been rehearsing together as a 4-piece which is great, if not, well then it proves they haven't, and the fact 2 of the guys are getting sued, well then you can all forget a new album for a very long time!!!  Oh hang on a minute, Isn't scott gonna release his solo album soon anyhow.................??..........so by the time the situation between Ketz/Weiland and the record company gets sorted that would be 2008 over and out and on to 2009............
"I got a picture of a photograph, of a wedding and a shell......."

nat

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: July 09, 2008, 05:18:46 PM »
Personally, I'm really surprised so many people dislike the fact he's singing BBB in a different octave. Like another poster back there said, I feel he's getting back into the the "right" way of singing after years (even years before VR, on the SLDD tour, etc) of doing the higher-pitched stuff he's bringing it home to what I (we?) grew up with (Core and Purple). I got Core shortly after it came out, I was in middle school back then. I was instantly a fan, and I picked up Purple immediately upon it's release a couple years later. It remains my favorite album by them, and one of my favorite albums of all time. It took me many years to get over the different vocal style on Tiny Music, but I did, so much so that Tiny Music is my second favorite album after Purple. That said, I still wish they would've thrown a few tracks on there with him doing the "heavier" vocals. The all-falsetto deal really makes it feel just a *tad* too poppy for me. I always fantasized about hearing Tiny Music re-done with the rough, heavy vocal style of Purple. Songs like Pop's Love Suicide and BBB would just tear it up. Thanks to this tour, my dream is partially realized in his vocal reimagining of BBB. I, for one, am happy for the change up. I've been following the tour on YouTube and it just seems to get better and better. There are genuinely rocking now, a far cry from the mediocre Jimmy Kimmel perfomance. I'd go so far to say that these are some of their best shows since the pre-SLDD days.

The only thing I'd ask is that they add Seven Caged Tigers to the mix-- my all-time favorite STP track.

One more thing-- I believe many people are mistaking a concious choice to sing some of this stuff slightly differently as an inability to sing it the "real" way. When Tiny Music came out, were the vocals the way they were because Scott suddenly couldn't hit the low notes any longer? Of course not-- it was a concious decision. I believe the same is true of the reverse situation we have here. Just my two cents.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2008, 05:24:26 PM by nat »

nickfas54

• Contributors
  • Flight Attendant
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: July 09, 2008, 11:16:08 PM »
I Like BBB, however, i think it would be cool if he would play atlanta, or a song of 12BB

chetstp7

• Contributors
  • Co-Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: July 10, 2008, 12:19:53 AM »
BBB stays as long as they are doing a radio hits tour. Personally, I like the song, but would rather hear pops love suicide since I have heard BBB the past three times I have seen them. I actually enjoy Robert and Scott on BBB trading vocals, I think it sounds good.

gdicarlo

• Ground Personnel
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: July 10, 2008, 12:59:14 AM »
Quote from: "JugeSTP"
I love the song, but judging from the bootlegs Scott sounds like absolute crap on them. I just saw a vid from one of the Connecticut shows, and man does he sound awesome on Silvergun Superman... My point is it's not a problem with anything else. Overall I think Scott's voice sounds ok, I just think Big Bang Baby should be removed from the setlist. That song is being butchered every night. The rest sounds passable to very solid. Any agree/disagree?

One of my favorite STP tunes, I'd hate to see it go.  Scott seems to be having some voice probs and he does have trouble with this song, but I thought it still sounded great in Glens Falls!

Gino

EclecticBohemian

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: July 10, 2008, 01:34:14 AM »
Same goes for me.  It sounded fine the other night in Akron; albeit not his best rendition of it though.  (A bit too nasaley...yes, I just made up that word)  Unfortunately as we age so do our vocal-chords.

I say add "Art School Girl..." ha!  I could see the "new" fans flipping on that one.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2008, 01:36:12 AM by Anonymous »
Know what I\'m thinking?  No?  Neither do I!  ;Þ

Lazy Divey

• Pink love fuzz
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • Kid'll eat ivy too, wouldn't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: July 12, 2008, 03:08:34 AM »
I actually like this new version, but I don't think Weiland's vocal range is as good as it used to be.

kilter

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: July 12, 2008, 07:34:27 AM »
Hey, late to the party but glad I found this forum... i've been thinking this for a while - I agree they should remove big bang baby from the setlist. sad to say. or maybe re-rework it to not include scott snarling like an evil wizard.

it's been one of my all time favourite songs since tiny music came out, but I can't stand the hoarse, nasal way he's singing it on this tour. IMO it totally ruins the song. I keep looking it up on youtube to see if they switch it up at all - it's not a range thing or a 'strained voice' thing, he's deliberately singing it that way. I guess it works for him and it works for some of the people here.. great. but every time I hear the "new" BBB I go "aw... crap".

that being said I've heard them do *parts* of it on this tour that sounded great.. so keeping the faith alive.

Ptak

• Contributors
  • Flight Attendant
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: July 14, 2008, 08:02:23 AM »
Well i just saw them at edgefest and bbb was one of the highlights. It was soooo bassy sounded great. Scotts vocals were good enough.

Vasoline*Val

• Contributors
  • Co-Pilot
    • View Profile
    • http://www.myspace.com/valvixin
« Reply #193 on: July 22, 2008, 08:15:36 PM »
i have always been a strong believer that when a band goes on tour and everything is live i would never expect the song to be exatly what it sounds like on the album if thats what i expect to hear im better off just staying home and listening to the albums.. as for LIVE anything goes.. and i adore and apricate anything or any change they do ! thats what makes live performances so much more intresing cuz its like oooh what are they gonna do this time?
If you should die before me ask if you could bring a friend, pick a flower hold your breath and drif

kilter

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: July 22, 2008, 08:30:36 PM »
..yeah but that stops being special when you realise they're just gonna do what they did last time, which is perform a horrible sounding rendition of big bang baby. it's not like they're switching it up from show to show. if they did that and it was hit or miss, no big deal.. but the song has sounded consistently terrible on this tour the whole way through. *coughScottcough*