October 04, 2024, 06:27:21 AM

Author Topic: dean deleo,how good is he  (Read 16625 times)

stpnj2008

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
Re: dean deleo,how good is he
« Reply #30 on: June 02, 2008, 08:03:58 PM »
Both are incredible guitarists in their own right, and both have written some of the most memorable lead lines of the last 20 years. I have a hard time accepting alot of peoples comments about how Slash is one style or one generic sound. Listen to Double Talking Jive, he shows so many different elements of playing in that song alone. He shifts from a bluesy raw sound, to a latin influenced solo, and ends with a fingerpicked outro on classical guitar.

detomaso

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 03, 2008, 01:00:54 AM »
Quote from: "vchizzle"
One thing ya gotta remember with music, guitars, amps, women, etc.....One persons best is the next persons worst. Its all a matter of taste- in what you like to hear, see, touch and screw :)-

I'm game for lots of stuff, but I draw the line at screwing an amp. :(

Art School Boy

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 23, 2008, 08:53:24 PM »
Quote from: "detomaso"
I'm game for lots of stuff, but I draw the line at screwing an amp. :(

haha that was actually really good. haha wow.
i am smellin like a rose that somebody gave me on my birthday deathbed

blink706

• Contributors
  • Co-Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 04, 2008, 04:40:35 PM »
i can't stand slash sometimes

MAZZA26

• Co-Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 08, 2008, 02:16:53 AM »
Quote from: "vchizzle"
Dean is an incredible and complete guitarist. To me he ranks up there with Page as a songwriter but with a more modern and heavier edge. That may be a bold statement, but the way he writes, composes and layers things and shows other styles is what separates him from other guitarists of my generation...similar to what Page did with Zep. Page wasn't a phenomenal technically proficient guitarist(in terms of the current players out there, but he had a compositional skill that many others didn't tap into at that time. Dean is a very fluid player, not flashy in terms of "look what I can do", but he's so capable of so many things in terms of writing. Alot gets put on the table when you redo songs acoustic and the STP/AoA music shines brilliantly there too.

Don't discount the teamwork of Robert in the writing and composition though. What they do together is quite amazing.

Excellently put.

The other thing is we don't know what Dean can do, in terms of radical solo's, i.e Noel Gallagher from Oasis, or the Killers guitarist Dave Keuning.  The guitar solo's we get from these guys are basic and fairly straightforward, but it doesn't mean they cannot twiddle..........some bands have guitar solo's expected............. Dean seems to me like an exceptional guitar player who could quite easily twiddle like your van halens or your perry's but he is more of a melodic player like for example my favourite guitarist Michael Schenker.  Sometimes there is no need to twiddle and be frantic on the fretboard like malmsteens, and blackmore's, instead rather be melodic and tuneful.....like your Schenker's and your Jimmy Page's, who as a previous poster mentioned was very focused on his layering in the studio...............listen to presence, how many guitars are on that??!!!  Listen to Tiny Music, or Purple, ok not as many layers at all, but Dean is trying to get various sounds from different takes and layers. 

EustaciaWildeve

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 08, 2008, 05:11:02 AM »
Quote from: "MAZZA26"
Excellently put.

The other thing is we don't know what Dean can do, in terms of radical solo's, i.e Noel Gallagher from Oasis, or the Killers guitarist Dave Keuning.  The guitar solo's we get from these guys are basic and fairly straightforward, but it doesn't mean they cannot twiddle..........some bands have guitar solo's expected............. Dean seems to me like an exceptional guitar player who could quite easily twiddle like your van halens or your perry's but he is more of a melodic player like for example my favourite guitarist Michael Schenker.  Sometimes there is no need to twiddle and be frantic on the fretboard like malmsteens, and blackmore's, instead rather be melodic and tuneful.....like your Schenker's and your Jimmy Page's, who as a previous poster mentioned was very focused on his layering in the studio...............listen to presence, how many guitars are on that??!!!  Listen to Tiny Music, or Purple, ok not as many layers at all, but Dean is trying to get various sounds from different takes and layers. 

I want to add to what you just said here.  I think this is the difference that taste makes.  Dean has a musical taste that IMHO Slash lacks, though Slash is good.
They sell their words but it\'s all a lie . . .

[url=http://www.fan2band.com/dl/re/scottweiland/1708

ArmyAnt

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 27, 2008, 04:34:28 AM »
Quote from: "DELEO"
I agree with you. It was just GROSS hearing slash play STP stuff.....he doesn't have the finesse to pull off STP songs.....and I even have enough to do that! I think Slash is good at his own stuff but not playing STP.....But Dean is a GOD!

-Chase

I agree with you on Slash. Its most definitely a very unique and beautiful style that Dean has. Talent aside, Dean just has a totally different sound just as special as Scott's voice. This is why I love STP, each band member really has so much passion and talent and they pour that into their music. I find it more pleasing to listen to Dean, or someone who really plays with some emotion, instead of someone that can play faster or "better".

unglued24

• Co-Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 02, 2010, 11:01:36 PM »
Quote from: "Art School Boy"
dean is definately better than slash. he has more range and variety. slash is a one style man.

Definitely, I got into STP because of Scott but appreciate Dean the more I listened to the music. He was very raw early on but has come so far since the band began.

Slash on the other hand is all show and only famous because of his trademark image.

Dean's heart and soul is reflected in his beautiful music
"What is the truth? What is reality? Your truth, your knowledge, that becomes your truth, becomes the reality...figure it out for yourself..." Scott Weiland

XxCollinsxX

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 03, 2010, 01:53:29 AM »
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEmB02IfSVM

dean slide solo on this ....is just sweet ...awesome improvise...nicely done...

morcegohoman

• Contributors
  • Co-Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 03, 2010, 02:54:00 AM »
I bought two les pauls and a demeter amp because of dean.

ReY_LaGartO

• Co-Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 05, 2010, 07:36:36 AM »
I always wish he did a guitar video tutorial or something... I think he's a very good guitar player, his style is pretty cool

Rocketdog

• Arrival
  • Arrivals
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 08, 2010, 02:52:34 AM »
I think Dean is easily one of the most underrated guitarist of the last 20 years, if not ever. The guy can play a myriad of styles, and does them all well. He definitely doesn't get the recognition he should.

andrew

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • I'm the milk man
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 08, 2010, 03:08:31 AM »
I want to hear a Dean DeLeo instrumental album.
Bleeda blooda

rockdude_unglued519

• Co-Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 08, 2010, 03:14:03 AM »
Dean is definetly one of my favorite if not my favorite guitarists. I like everyone else think he is insanely underrated. To be honest IMO the only guitarist that is as or more underrated is Robby Krieger of The Doors

wickedgarden23

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 08, 2010, 04:42:13 AM »
I want to hear a Dean DeLeo instrumental album.
That would be awesome!! "Once Upon A Tribe" is great stuff. I can easily pick my favorite rock singer, bassist, and drummer of all time (Weiland, Robert, and Dave Abbruzzese) but I find it hard to pick just ONE guitarist as my all-time favorite. Dean is definitely a candidate though...he is just so versatile. I really can't think of one thing about his playing in any song he's ever performed that I don't like. Hell who am I kidding? Dean's GOTTA be my favorite guitarist ever haha
My STP shows: 8/10/2008, 7/19/2009, 10/10/2009, 5/22/2010, 4/26/2011, 4/24/2015   Weiland solo: 1/29/2009, 11/29/2012, 3/13/2015    VR: 8/5/2007