October 04, 2024, 06:31:23 AM

Author Topic: dean deleo,how good is he  (Read 16627 times)

army of ants

• Contributors
  • Co-Pilot
    • View Profile
dean deleo,how good is he
« on: November 10, 2007, 11:59:53 PM »
how good is dean on guitar-can we place him next to hendrix,jimmy page!.
any thoughts

Nathantok7

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
Re: dean deleo,how good is he
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2007, 09:58:30 AM »
nope those guys innovated the instrument, dean could never claim innovation, he might be at the same skill level as those guys but he never advanced the guitar
The lunatic, is on the grass.

army of ants

• Contributors
  • Co-Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2007, 08:57:13 PM »
fine, but among the best we have today where can we place him,i guess its difficoult to do so!.better then slash????????

Nathantok7

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2007, 07:54:06 AM »
Quote from: "army of ants"
fine, but among the best we have today where can we place him,i guess its difficoult to do so!.better then slash????????

No, not better than slash. I wish he was, but he isn't in my opinion. Dean is the man though, i really wish he was still making music with scott, a singer who actually has a clue.
The lunatic, is on the grass.

army of ants

• Contributors
  • Co-Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2007, 10:21:38 AM »
i think dean is more gifted to play different cords with slash i only hear one sound!!!!!.

Riverdog

• Arrival
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2007, 01:28:39 PM »
Dean is a far better guitarist than Slash (IMO). His melodic sophistication, ear for tone, and ability to play multiple styles of music effortlessly, blow most guitarists out of the water. Slash is great at playing classic rock guitar leads, but he is not even half the well-rounded player/songwriter Dean is.

Dean is hands down the best guitarist of the 90's.

Son Of Sam

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2007, 11:48:02 PM »
Dean isnt a speed player nor would I consider him a bluesy guitarist like Hendrix, Page, ect. Dean is actually imo an artsy guitarist. His chord progression on his music has a mystical touch to it that separates him from alot of other guitarist. I'm not saying hes better than Hendrix or Page I'm just saying that comparing him to those guys like Slash Page, Hendrix  is comparing apples to oranges. Dean is actually my favorite guitarist behind Page and Hendirx. STP is my favorite band and based on all of STP's success it wouldnt be hard to put Dean in an alltime top 10 or 15 list. I think all of us STP fans would place him in our top 5 or 10 guitarist of all time. But for others to rank him that high I think STP is gonna have to create another solid ground breaking record in order for others to see Dean out of the under appreciated guitarist list that hes on out there into peoples top guitarist choices. Thats very possible If STP can recapture that aggressiveness they've had on previous records like Core and  No 4, and Scott singing more in his deep Morrisonish growl. That old deep growl of Scotts is the missing plutonium baby! 

army of ants

• Contributors
  • Co-Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2007, 07:56:54 PM »
they need to create another purple album,the most successive album of the 90s
it is ranked among  100th best guitar albums of all time,scott needs to stop fucking things upp.

army of ants

• Contributors
  • Co-Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2007, 08:04:47 PM »
they way dean played live version of trippin' on a hole in a paper heart live at rolling rock is pretty fast and good,it gives me the chills every time i  listening to that song,also when he playes coma!.

wayne gretzky

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2007, 08:38:05 PM »
I dont consider a "guitar" group, theres great guitar work no doubt about it but there records were focused more on the collective sound and what the could do sonicaly(sp?),  the guitar wasnt the featured area of the band

MAJOR METAL

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2008, 10:33:59 PM »
I think dean is probably one of the best rock guitarist in this era of music. He is one solid player.
If you should die before me ask if you could bring a friend.
Pick a flower hold your breath and drift away.

Silvergun Picture Show

• They Call Me Phil.
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • Buy a minute, spend an hour burnin' burnin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2008, 10:55:59 PM »
Yah I think Dean Is ALOT better than Slash...but it all goes to personal opinion...Im not saying Slash Sucks...I just find Dean a more versatile player...all slash's stuff sounds the same
STP: 08/22/10 - Cleveland, OH.
        08/28/10 - Pittsburgh, PA.

"Some of my finest hours have been spent on my back veranda, smoking hemp and observing as far as my eye could see."
-Thoman Jefferson

DELEO

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 06, 2008, 03:26:26 AM »
I agree with you. It was just GROSS hearing slash play STP stuff.....he doesn't have the finesse to pull off STP songs.....and I even have enough to do that! I think Slash is good at his own stuff but not playing STP.....But Dean is a GOD!

-Chase

Aaron

• Global Moderator
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 06, 2008, 04:48:24 PM »
Quote from: "DELEO"
I agree with you. It was just GROSS hearing slash play STP stuff.....he doesn't have the finesse to pull off STP songs.....and I even have enough to do that! I think Slash is good at his own stuff but not playing STP.....But Dean is a GOD!

-Chase
You cant compare Slash and Dean any more than you can compare Page and Dean.  The styles are all too different.  Slash is at his core a blues musician who has heavily modeled his style after Joe Perry.  Dean is the complete opposite of this.  No wonder it doesnt sound right when Slash plays an STP song.  Furthermore, a cover isnt always supposed to sound just like the original.  Slash's work on Vasoline was rough, but the extra stuff he did on Crackerman was downright brilliant. 

Slash is definitely faster than dean, and a bit more creative with his solo work.  Dean tends to rehash solos quite a bit, especially live.  A portion of the solo on the recorded version of Sin has shown up in live versions of Down, Roadhouse Blues, etc.  Slash on records mixes up his gear much more so than Dean, lending different rigs for different songs.  Live he is one of the same though.  In terms of speed and sheer difficulty, Slash can outplay Dean. 

Dean, however, has a very signature sound, which can be heard on every CD (STP, Talkshow, AoA).  Its an unmistakable twang driven through a marshall stack and a VOX AC30.  He never really strays from that setup, which isnt necessarily a bad thing.  When dean shreds he can do some amazing things.  However his solos are mostly based off of simple pentatonic scales.  Its the patterns and the way he puts them together that make it greatness, NOT the difficultly of the solo itself (they sound much more complicated than they really are).  Dean is much better at sparingly using effects.  He incorporates WAH/Delay/Chorus effects much more sparingly than other guitarrist which adds to the music, IMO.  In terms of writing and style Dean outclasses slash any day. 

Both guitarists have some major strengths, and both have obvious weaknesses.  Both are forces to be reckoned with.  My point, however, is neither Dean nor Slash play the same styles, so its hard to draw comparisons. 

Stop That Pigeon

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 06, 2008, 08:22:02 PM »
^ I agree with you entirely, Aaron, although, on the subject of speed, both times I’ve seen Slash live (Snakepit, VR), he’s been very sloppy on the fast stuff.

I remember a quote from Steve Stevens about his hero Steve Howe (Yes/Asia) – Stevens said, “he wasn’t just playing guitar, he was playing music.”

That applies perfectly to Dean, imho – he is, first & foremost, a consummate musician who knows instinctively when and how much or little to play. His parts are often very subtle (much more so than the vast majority of rock guitarists), he has great versatility (again, that very few outside of the best jazz-rock players can match) and, most of all, he is a modest player who never seeks to hog the limelight. Even when he rips it, he’s about as far away from a macho show-off as it’s possible to be. He has a wonderful combination of masculine & feminine elements in his playing that reminds me very much of the late, great, Tommy Bolin (although TB was technically superior, no question).

I can’t fault Dean on anything – yes, there are guys like Al di Meola and Dean’s own hero Allan Holdsworth who are on another planet as pure players; plus, I take the previous point about Dean not being an innovator. But, as an all-round guitarist with excellent rhythm chops, dynamics, great writing ability & sassy note choice, for me there’s no-one better in rock.

I just wish there was some footage of when he sat in with Robben Ford and his band - I read a comment somewhere one time from a dude who was just blown away by how good Dean was!