October 04, 2024, 04:20:07 AM

Author Topic: What do you hate most about VR?  (Read 17424 times)

Rocketboy

• Cardinal
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
Re: What do you hate most about VR?
« Reply #15 on: January 09, 2008, 12:49:02 AM »
Quote from: "army of ants"
that they cant produce good music,after listening to contraband for 3 minutes i gave upp
its shit,sorry VL fans!
Wow, way to get through an entire song...oh wait...

army of ants

• Contributors
  • Co-Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 09, 2008, 10:58:43 PM »
i went thru every song,i may have given it more time to listen to but no,it dosent sound right.
the only song i like about velvet revolver is their song on fantastic 4 soundtrack!!!!!!.

Aaron

• Global Moderator
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 10, 2008, 09:37:54 PM »
i went thru every song,i may have given it more time to listen to but no,it dosent sound right.
the only song i like about velvet revolver is their song on fantastic 4 soundtrack!!!!!!.

Thats sad, you're missing some good tunes. 

army of ants

• Contributors
  • Co-Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 10, 2008, 10:34:24 PM »
i dont agre with velvet revolver-i want stp back but its just not my type,it dosent have the sound that i like

oh shit i am to much into stp ...............................................

StoneTempleBrett

• AlternativeNation.net & STPfans.com
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • Pooper Scooper
    • View Profile
    • AlternativeNation.net
« Reply #19 on: January 11, 2008, 01:18:17 AM »
I fucking hate Velvet Revolver.  If they'd have just done Contraband and went their separate ways in 2005 or 2006, they'd have a nice legacy as a supergroup who didn't overstay their welcome like they have now, they weren't meant to last this long, and Libertad sucks, it's nothing original and even Scott's creative vocals can't save it.  I liked his voice for the most part on Libertad but his lyrics were pretty bad, especially Get Out The Door, which was also the worst vocal performance of his career.

I just don't get why Scott stays with them, nobody really cares about them anymore and they're thought of as a group of wash ups.  Libertad didn't sell shit, the tour has gotten a bad turnout, and they have had a lot of awful shows on the tour.  Scott needs to bail and reunite with STP before he's too damn old so they can edit their legacy.  It just pisses me off when I see in like biographies of STP where they call them grunge rip offs (which is bullshit), and then say they disbanded after Scott's drug problems would not end.  It's not a good legacy and they need at least one more album/tour to end on a high note and show the world that they're the best rock band in the last 20 years.  All four of them just need to get in a room with instruments and see what happens.  I hope the Coachella rumors are true because if they could even get their shit together for one night they'd see that they're meant to play music together and it'd probably lead to something.  But my main point is, I hate Velvet Revolver because they're why STP isn't together right now (Scott's even said it), I'd love to meet Weiland and tell him this, because I'll bet the majority of fans he encounters are Slash loving VR fanboys like you'd see on their forum.

STP Shows: 5/1/08, 6/24/08, 12/31/08, 7/1/09, 5/25/10, 6/5/10, 10/29/10, 9/22/12, 5/30/13, 9/1/13
Velvet Revolver Shows: 7/22/06, 9/15/07
Scott Weiland Shows: 12/14/08, 12/8/11

Garrett

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 11, 2008, 02:42:11 AM »
Nobody cares about VR anymore.  They're old news...  and therefore, done.

StoneTempleBrett

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • Pooper Scooper
    • View Profile
    • AlternativeNation.net
« Reply #21 on: January 11, 2008, 05:56:51 AM »
And they don't have a legacy like for example Pearl Jam does.  They're not the hot shit they were up until 1995 anymore, but they've been around so long they're the old guard so they get respect and have a loyal fanbase, STP would probably have this same situation if they were around now.  VR just has no legacy and nobody cares about them.  Nobody is dying to see VR or hear new VR material anymore.

STP Shows: 5/1/08, 6/24/08, 12/31/08, 7/1/09, 5/25/10, 6/5/10, 10/29/10, 9/22/12, 5/30/13, 9/1/13

Rocketboy

• Cardinal
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 13, 2008, 08:33:14 PM »
that they cant produce good music,after listening to contraband for 3 minutes i gave upp
its shit,sorry VL fans!
So, which was it, 3 minutes or every song?

Quote from: "StoneTempleBrett"
But my main point is, I hate Velvet Revolver because they're why STP isn't together right now (Scott's even said it)
Where did Scott say that? STP broke well before VR came about.

And they don't have a legacy like for example Pearl Jam does.
Yeah, because PJ's has real hit song/album in the last 8, 9 years, right?

They're not the hot shit they were up until 1995 anymore,
You'd be hard pressed to find anybody that was hot in '95 and is still hot today.

but they've been around so long they're the old guard so they get respect and have a loyal fanbase, STP would probably have this same situation if they were around now.
Outside of their fanbase and a handful of other musicians, people rarely gave STP any respect. They were almost always considered hacks with a druggie on vocals.

VR just has no legacy and nobody cares about them.  Nobody is dying to see VR or hear new VR material anymore.
I care and would love to to hear more VR. Libertad is one of the best rock albums I've heard in years. I understand that most people aren't diggin' it, but when the airwaves are flooded with garbage like...whoever (I can't really name any hot groups right now - they all sound like the same regurgitated bullshit).

StoneTempleBrett

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • Pooper Scooper
    • View Profile
    • AlternativeNation.net
« Reply #23 on: January 14, 2008, 03:44:40 AM »
Scott said that a part of him would love to bookend STP, but he's just so busy with Velvet Revolver he can't right now.  Pearl Jam haven't been great the last 8 or 9 years but because of how long they've been around they can still sellouts stadiums and a respectable amount of albums.

STP's legacy has improved and if they'd have kept going I'm sure they'd have had a few creative albums by now that would completely shed the grunge ripoff image.

You'd rather hear more Velvet Revolver than STP?  I don't really know what to say about that.  imo the novelty has worn off and they're just, boring.  Their live act has deteriorated too and the chemistry just isn't there, they don't feel like a band.

Rocketboy

• Cardinal
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 14, 2008, 04:33:55 AM »
Scott said that a part of him would love to bookend STP, but he's just so busy with Velvet Revolver he can't right now.
At the time he said that, the Deleo were also busy with Army of Anyone (IIRC). Plus, I applaud the guy for keeping his commitments for once.

Pearl Jam haven't been great the last 8 or 9 years but because of how long they've been around they can still sellouts stadiums and a respectable amount of albums.
Their last 3 albums haven't sold more than 700K (at most).

You'd rather hear more Velvet Revolver than STP?  I don't really know what to say about that.
I never said I'd rather have VR over STP. Far from it, but I think VR is a great rock band - one of the few good ones out there right now.

StoneTempleBrett

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • Pooper Scooper
    • View Profile
    • AlternativeNation.net
« Reply #25 on: January 14, 2008, 06:43:58 AM »
The DeLeos aren't busy now.  Pearl Jam still sell out stadiums, I don't love them by any means, but I'm using them as an example because they're still pretty successful by today's standards, barely any albums go platinum, I mean The Killers are the biggest young rock band and they only went 2x platinum for Sam's Town, Pearl Jam going gold is quite good by today's standards, Muse didn't even get that for their 2006 album.  My point is Velvet Revolver can't succeed now that their boom period is over due to lack of longtime loyal fans, something that most current running 90s bands have.

Aaron

• Global Moderator
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 17, 2008, 08:07:20 PM »
VR just has no legacy and nobody cares about them.  Nobody is dying to see VR or hear new VR material anymore.

Thats just a ridiculous thing to say.  Look at how active the VR forums are!  Lots of people care about VR, and that is a busy and rabid community.  Their shows are great, I've seen them 6 times now, 7th in two weeks.  Its a different sound than STP, but they definitely can draw a crowd.  VR is succeeding just fine.  Bands dont make their money on albums, they make their money on touring, which VR does A LOT! 

I respect your opinion to hate VR, they're certainly not for everyone, but your bias is clearly clouding your judgment. 

I'd love to see an STP reunion, but not at the expense of VR.  Perhaps one day when VR is on break STP can do a tour.  That would be fantastic. 

And for anyone that is into album sales as determining the success of a band, please go listen to Justin Timberlake or Kanye.  They sell way more records, and therefore must be better artists!

StoneTempleBrett

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • Pooper Scooper
    • View Profile
    • AlternativeNation.net
« Reply #27 on: January 18, 2008, 05:22:30 AM »
I respect your opinion too, VR do have fans, but not nearly as many as they did just a couple of years ago, and I check their boards and it seems like the activity has gone wayyyy down from where it was a year or two ago.  I've seen them twice, in 2006 they were great, but I saw them at LA Invasion in September and the magic was gone.  I'm not saying you have to sell records to be good, but they went from 2 million to 200,000 in a span of 3 years and one album, and the tour has had lackluster attendance.  I was a Velvet Revolver fan, even have a shirt, but for me the spark is just gone with them and I think they've run their course.  Just my opinion.

Aaron

• Global Moderator
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 18, 2008, 04:36:13 PM »
I cant attest the the shows you have, but I will say I have seen lackluster VR shows too, but in my opinion that is the minority. 
I saw them just before the release of Libertad in Chicago, and they were clearly out of sync.  Then I saw them in Houston in late September, and it was awesome, and the sold out crowd was very much into VR, no surprise, with the great show they put on.  I see them again on the 31st in Austin, and I will report back with what I think. 

Thats said, I was disappointed with a few STP shows in the past too, mostly on the SLDD tour where I felt there was obvious tension between the band members, and Scott never engaged the audience. 

I really do like VR, and Libertad as well.  I think its a great album (with the exception of 'Can't get it outta my head' and 'Spay'). Like I said, I wouldnt trade.  VR for STP, but I can enjoy VR now, and if STP gets back together, I'll enjoy them again too. 

I feel like a lot of people on here have a grudge against Scott for joining VR, but lets face it, he didnt leave STP to join VR, STP was on hiatus, because of tension between Scott and the rest of STP.  What talented singer in his right mind wouldnt want to join a band with former GnR members?  Those guys are some of the best guys at what they do. 

I'm just saying its okay to want a new STP album, we all do.  But lets not hold it against VR that STP isnt together.  Last time I checked the DeLeos were pretty busy- up until more recently at least. 

Yes the initial 'pop' of VR has worn off, but there are still plenty of people interested in what they are doing, and this band is still making plenty of money. 

StoneTempleBrett

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • Pooper Scooper
    • View Profile
    • AlternativeNation.net
« Reply #29 on: January 19, 2008, 12:50:46 AM »
The DeLeos haven't been busy since May, and Weiland was asked in an interview "what would it take for STP to get back together?"  and he said, "time, time I don't have right now because of Velvet Revolver and other stuff."  It's pretty obvious that if VR broke up today something would probably go down on the STP front.