September 29, 2024, 07:19:03 PM

Author Topic: Why Father Figure?  (Read 10370 times)

Crackerman

• Contributors
  • Co-Pilot
    • View Profile
Why Father Figure?
« on: July 27, 2007, 05:53:00 AM »
I just listened to the cd for the first time in a few weeks, and I can name probably 3 or 4 songs that are better. In my opinion Father Figure shouldn't have been their second single.
Term: Stone Temple Pilots
Definition: Ancient Aztec priests who use magic to fly humungous stone pyr

lovemachine97

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
Re: Why Father Figure?
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2007, 08:27:25 AM »
If it were me, my releases would have gone in this order:

It Doesn't Seem to Matter
A Better Place
Goodbye
Father Figure

Goodbye is a great song, but a bad introduction to the band.  I think it would have made a great 3rd single and been really successful that way.  Also, Richard's vocals aren't that great on Father Figure.  There's a live version on Rehearsals.com that he sounds MUCH better on...
« Last Edit: July 27, 2007, 08:30:52 AM by lovemachine97 »

STPGurl

• Original Bad Girl
  • Cardinal
  • Sky Captain
  • Sucker for SRW
    • View Profile
    • SWBGC
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2007, 06:55:23 PM »
I think "It Doesn't Seem To Matter" would have made a killer single.  Oh, well.  What do I know?

Even The Boyfriend loves that song - and he automatically hates everything and anything pertaining to STP/Weiland because of the creepy obsession I have that never went away.  Ha - I just bought it the other day as a ringback tone (an evil way of forcing your music on people who probably don't want to hear it).
How could they not notice it?! Because it's a little mint.  It's a Junior Mint!

Long Way Home

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2007, 04:59:09 AM »
Doesn't Seem To Matter, hands down, should have been the first single. Followed by:

A Better Place
Disappear
(then maybe)
Ain't Enough

But what do I know, I thought Days of the Week was one of the weaker songs on SLDD.

lovemachine97

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2007, 12:05:26 AM »
When are these people going to learn NOT to trust the 'test numbers' that the label shows you are just go with your gut?  I mean, Days of the Week?  Goodbye?  Good songs, just bad choices to introduce a record.

Coma and It Doesn't Seem to Matter are the songs that should have been released instead--but all the other songs tested better.  Lame.

As far as Army of Anyone goes, Goodbye's verse section is a bit grating (Yyyyyyyeeeeeeaaaaahhhh I got this....) when you first here it, even though the chorus is really good with a gorgeous chord change (E Cmaj7 D A7).  Still, It Doesn't Seem to Matter is just flat out the obvious, obvious first single.

As far as VR goes, I don't know what to say about SBQM.  I like it, but it's not a good first single.  It suffers from Goodbye syndrome.  Hell, from an email Douglas Grean replied to, he says Brendan O'Brien is a great producer but seems to only 'care' about the singles during the recording process (surprising but that's what was said).  He's been involved with so many great records, I'd let HIM choose my single--and before the label got the record the first single was narrowed down to She Mine,, or possibly Get Out the Door.  Those would have done better.

errol

• Ground Personnel
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2008, 02:12:34 PM »
if A Better Place was the follow up single..it cld hv helped album sales

Aaron

• Global Moderator
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2008, 05:11:46 AM »
Quote from: "lovemachine97"
When are these people going to learn NOT to trust the 'test numbers' that the label shows you are just go with your gut?  I mean, Days of the Week?  Goodbye?  Good songs, just bad choices to introduce a record.

Coma and It Doesn't Seem to Matter are the songs that should have been released instead--but all the other songs tested better.  Lame.

As far as Army of Anyone goes, Goodbye's verse section is a bit grating (Yyyyyyyeeeeeeaaaaahhhh I got this....) when you first here it, even though the chorus is really good with a gorgeous chord change (E Cmaj7 D A7).  Still, It Doesn't Seem to Matter is just flat out the obvious, obvious first single.

As far as VR goes, I don't know what to say about SBQM.  I like it, but it's not a good first single.  It suffers from Goodbye syndrome.  Hell, from an email Douglas Grean replied to, he says Brendan O'Brien is a great producer but seems to only 'care' about the singles during the recording process (surprising but that's what was said).  He's been involved with so many great records, I'd let HIM choose my single--and before the label got the record the first single was narrowed down to She Mine,, or possibly Get Out the Door.  Those would have done better.

Well said.

DOTY- terrible single, should have been Coma
Goodbye- terrible single, should have been It Doesn't Seem to Matter
SBQM- awful single, should have been GOTD. 

All three albums had good potential singles that weren't used..

But hey what do we, the fans, know.  Right?

Piece_of_Pie

• Contributors
  • Co-Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2008, 07:15:53 AM »
I agree that Goodbye was a bad first single, and that Father Figure shouldn't have been released. I think the singles should have gone like this for AOA:

1st: It Doesn't Seem to Matter
2nd: Generation
3rd: Stop Look and Listen
4th: Disappear

...Although the 3rd and 4th could have been released in reverse order, I don't think that would matter too much.

Stop That Pigeon

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2008, 04:37:28 PM »
I would have gone with "She Mine" from Libertad and "Disappear" from AoA as lead singles. As far as SLDD goes, although it's my favourite, I never thought there were hits on that album.

loungefly611

• The Other Scott
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
    • Scott 'The Madness' Stessl
« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2008, 04:53:20 PM »
Quote from: "Aaron"
SBQM- awful single, should have been GOTD. 

I didn't think it was a bad choice for a single. It didn't hit you right off the bat, but it grew on you. I mean, quite honestly, Libertad is not a single driven album. So I think if they would have went with Get Out The Door, She Mine, Let it Roll or SBQM, it would have gotten similar receptions across the board.

Last Fight though stands out as a single though. That was the first song that stood out to me when I initially listened to the album.
Dedicated. Disgusting. Disturbing.

I'm just sittin' on this merry-go-round, and the music is too loud..

Aaron

• Global Moderator
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2008, 02:28:11 PM »
Quote from: "loungefly611"
I didn't think it was a bad choice for a single. It didn't hit you right off the bat, but it grew on you. I mean, quite honestly, Libertad is not a single driven album. So I think if they would have went with Get Out The Door, She Mine, Let it Roll or SBQM, it would have gotten similar receptions across the board.

Last Fight though stands out as a single though. That was the first song that stood out to me when I initially listened to the album.

Agreed. 

Last Fight is definitely a good single.  I could have seen "She Mine" as one too, but I still think SBQM was a bad single.  It was a bit too much like Slither, except the mix on that song (SBQM) sucks.  Too muddy and too bass-y.  Video was kind of cool though.  SBQM isnt a terrible song, its just not very special either.  There are far better songs on Libertad, although I agree that album is not chalked full of single the same way Contraband was.  Its more of a solid full-listen album. 
« Last Edit: May 13, 2008, 08:32:14 PM by Aaron »

loungefly611

• The Other Scott
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
    • Scott 'The Madness' Stessl
« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2008, 05:41:53 PM »
Quote from: "Aaron"
Agreed. 

Last Fight is definitely a good single.  I could have seen "She Mine" as one too, but I still think SBQM was a bad single.  It was a bit too much like Slither, except the mix on that song sucks.  Too muddy and too bass-y.  Video was kind of cool though.  SBQM isnt a terrible song, its just not very special either.  There are far better songs on Libertad, although I agree that album is not chalked full of single the same way Contraband was.  Its more of a solid full-listen album. 

I wonder if anyone else thought that SBQM reminded them of Slither. I got that vibe the first time I listened to it too.
Dedicated. Disgusting. Disturbing.

I'm just sittin' on this merry-go-round, and the music is too loud..

gnrdestructx

• Flight Attendant
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2008, 10:37:30 PM »
Quote from: "loungefly611"
I wonder if anyone else thought that SBQM reminded them of Slither. I got that vibe the first time I listened to it too.

yeah its in drop d like slither and kinda sung to a similar style slither was..

Aaron

• Global Moderator
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2008, 05:37:42 AM »
Quote from: "gnrdestructx"
yeah its in drop d like slither and kinda sung to a similar style slither was..

Same exact everything, including the tuning (dropped D) as previously mentioned.  In fact the chord progression is even very similar at times, just moves the opposite direction on the neck.  Similar tempo, etc

Verse
Chorus
Verse
chorus
breakdown
crazy solo
chorus

crackerdude

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile