September 29, 2024, 09:17:58 PM

Author Topic: a recent review  (Read 7486 times)

MC.

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
Re: a recent review
« Reply #15 on: January 24, 2009, 08:40:14 PM »
Quote from: "wickedgarden23"
Quote from: "VelvetLounngeFly"
they obviously didnt care about how successful it was.
I'm not an AOA hater, but how can you say that? It seems that it was the exact opposite. They released one album that failed to even sell 100,000 copies and they broke up like a year after it came out. I'm not saying that the guys in AOA ONLY care about being successful, but the album's poor sales definitely had to do with their break-up.

I'm sure the break-up was somewhat influenced by the album's poor sales, but i'm sure that wasn't the main reason. I think what Velvetloungefly meant was that they really got together just to make an album, and have a good time. They are all accomplished muscians and this was something done more so for fun then for anything else.

I'm sure they did care somewhat about album sales, but I don't think it was a major reason for the break-up.

ht

VelvetLounngeFly

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 24, 2009, 09:19:06 PM »
thank you now all the aoa haters should just stop comparing scott and richard or stp with aoa, im not an aoa fan but just dont start the same arguments form the other threads just stay in freaking topic
If you only knew..

StoneTempleBrett

• AlternativeNation.net & STPfans.com
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • Pooper Scooper
    • View Profile
    • AlternativeNation.net
« Reply #17 on: January 24, 2009, 09:40:27 PM »
Quote from: "MC."
Quote from: "wickedgarden23"
Quote from: "VelvetLounngeFly"
they obviously didnt care about how successful it was.
I'm not an AOA hater, but how can you say that? It seems that it was the exact opposite. They released one album that failed to even sell 100,000 copies and they broke up like a year after it came out. I'm not saying that the guys in AOA ONLY care about being successful, but the album's poor sales definitely had to do with their break-up.

I'm sure the break-up was somewhat influenced by the album's poor sales, but i'm sure that wasn't the main reason. I think what Velvetloungefly meant was that they really got together just to make an album, and have a good time. They are all accomplished muscians and this was something done more so for fun then for anything else.

I'm sure they did care somewhat about album sales, but I don't think it was a major reason for the break-up.
Yes it was.  During the album promotion (and just months before the break up) Dean and Robert were saying, "Don't judge us until our 5th record," "This is a new beginning" and "We're building from the ground up."  I'm sure the abysmal ticket sales (look at the videos on the internet from their Arizona show) and poor album sales had a lot to do with it.

STP Shows: 5/1/08, 6/24/08, 12/31/08, 7/1/09, 5/25/10, 6/5/10, 10/29/10, 9/22/12, 5/30/13, 9/1/13
Velvet Revolver Shows: 7/22/06, 9/15/07
Scott Weiland Shows: 12/14/08, 12/8/11

MC.

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 24, 2009, 09:59:57 PM »
Let me correct myself. I don't think that was the major reason. You're right, i'm sure it had alot to do with the band breaking up, but I don't think that was the entire reason. The low ticket sales probably had more to do with it, if they were really as low as you alude.

ht

StoneTempleBrett

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • Pooper Scooper
    • View Profile
    • AlternativeNation.net
« Reply #19 on: January 24, 2009, 11:21:58 PM »
Let me correct myself. I don't think that was the major reason. You're right, i'm sure it had alot to do with the band breaking up, but I don't think that was the entire reason. The low ticket sales probably had more to do with it, if they were really as low as you alude.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GUc4PmFp2e8
60-100 (100 max) people in Phoenix, Arizona.  So few that they let fans onstage.  Dean doesn't look too thrilled during this performance.  The attendance was an embarrassment.  Very Spinal Tap.  The record sales sucked too.  With a supergroup with Filter/STP you don't need much marketing (the single did get airplay, keep that in mind), the bottom line is people probably either heard the single and thought, "that's nothing special" or they heard about it being another supergroup and said, "Oh great another supergroup..."  The album has a few good songs, but nothing memorable.  Army of Anyone was a failure.  I really don't get the AoA Street Team banner in your sig, I mean dude, they've been dead for nearly 2 years and they're NEVER coming back.

STP Shows: 5/1/08, 6/24/08, 12/31/08, 7/1/09, 5/25/10, 6/5/10, 10/29/10, 9/22/12, 5/30/13, 9/1/13

MC.

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 24, 2009, 11:55:09 PM »
Quote from: "StoneTempleBrett"
60-100 (100 max) people in Phoenix, Arizona.  So few that they let fans onstage.  Dean doesn't look too thrilled during this performance.  The attendance was an embarrassment.  Very Spinal Tap.  The record sales sucked too.  With a supergroup with Filter/STP you don't need much marketing (the single did get airplay, keep that in mind), the bottom line is people probably either heard the single and thought, "that's nothing special" or they heard about it being another supergroup and said, "Oh great another supergroup..."  The album has a few good songs, but nothing memorable.  Army of Anyone was a failure.  I really don't get the AoA Street Team banner in your sig, I mean dude, they've been dead for nearly 2 years and they're NEVER coming back.

60-100 people, that is seriously embarrasing. Still I think that with better promotion the record would have sold moderately well, and concert attendence would have easily been higher.

"Goodbye" didn't get much airtime in the northeast. Not that I noticed anyway. And at the time I was a delivery driver, and during that summer I worked about 8 hours a day, so I listened to plenty of radio. I would say I only heard it two or three times ever on regular radio. It did recieve more play on satellite.

I'm betting that The Firm thought the same thing that you did. "With a supergroup with Filter/STP you don't need much marketing". You would think that a supergroup formed from one popular, and one slightly less popular band that ruled the 90's/early 2000's alternative rock scene wouldn't need much marketing. But in truth, only the hardcore fans followed. Certainly more so with Filter fans since Richard Patrick was fronting the band. Since Filter doesn't have a huge fanbase, that wasn't enough and not enough STP fans followed the band/spread the word to make them a success.

But seriously, I doubt you honestly believe, even if you don't think the album was that good, that if The Firm had done a better job promoting the band they wouldn't have been somewhat successful. I mean, if you take all of the albums released in 2006, "Army of Anyone" is definately in the top ten, but i'm sure tons of shitty albums achieved much higher sales, simply because of how they were marketed.

You don't need to have a great album (and in my opinion Army of Anyone did) To be successful, it's all about how you're marketed.

ht

loungefly611

• The Other Scott
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
    • Scott 'The Madness' Stessl
« Reply #21 on: January 25, 2009, 12:49:00 AM »
the bottom line is people probably either heard the single and thought, "that's nothing special" or they heard about it being another supergroup and said, "Oh great another supergroup..."

I heard the single. I thought it was the second coming of Talk Show. I then moved on.
Dedicated. Disgusting. Disturbing.

I'm just sittin' on this merry-go-round, and the music is too loud..

MC.

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 25, 2009, 01:28:20 AM »
Quote from: "loungefly611"
the bottom line is people probably either heard the single and thought, "that's nothing special" or they heard about it being another supergroup and said, "Oh great another supergroup..."

I heard the single. I thought it was the second coming of Talk Show. I then moved on.

Now i'm not sure if you liked Talk Show or not. Either way I have no idea why you would think that. Musically, the two bands sound almost nothing alike.

So either way, what's your point?

ht

MC.

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 25, 2009, 01:38:13 AM »
Rolling Stone Review:
David Fricke
November 1, 2006

Three members of this quartet are star soldiers of the Nineties alt-rock wars, back from extended furlough. In Stone Temple Pilots, the DeLeo brothers -- guitarist Dean and bassist Robert -- were responsible for a lot of the Seventies classicism and pop-song sense in that band's bang. Singer Richard Patrick did time in Nine Inch Nails before starting Filter. But what looks on paper like a gene-splice supergroup, Audioslave part deux, sounds much better than that on this debut, produced by Alice Cooper/Pink Floyd vet Bob Ezrin with the right mix of sandpaper and sheen. The DeLeos were an underrated team in their old band's heyday, unusually melodic players and writers in the era of the superriff, and it's hard not to hear their STP touch in the guitar-orchestra punch and turnaround hooks in "It Doesn't Seem to Matter" and "Generation." Patrick is a less idiosyncratic singer than STP's Scott Weiland, cleaner in tone, more on the note. That is not a bad thing. In the droning harmonies of "Non Stop," Patrick sounds like a peculiar but nifty mix of Layne Staley and the Humble Pie-era Peter Frampton. Ironically, Army of Anyone's big problem may be airplay. They're certainly ready for it. But how many rock radio stations are left to give it to them?

ht

peronim

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 25, 2009, 01:39:42 AM »
Quote from: "stpnj2008"
How the band was received commerically doesn't do the album justice.

I completely agree. It was really The Firm's fault, they did a horrible job of promoting the band.

It was Jimmy Page and Paul Rodger's fault???  Come on now don't go throwing the blame on everyone..especially a legend like Pagey

MC.

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 25, 2009, 01:46:02 AM »
Quote from: "peronim"

I completely agree. It was really The Firm's fault, they did a horrible job of promoting the band.

It was Jimmy Page and Paul Rodger's fault???  Come on now don't go throwing the blame on everyone..especially a legend like Pagey

Hahaha, i'll give it to you.

Touche' my friend.

ht

The Action Girls

• The ORIGINAL Melody Man
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • Is she fighting for air?
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 25, 2009, 02:56:02 AM »
Either way, Army of Anyone is a great fucking band and I welcome a reunion anyday.

Hell, I want a reunion. New STP record is priority numba 1, but believe me when I say this, new AoA is a close second.
Back for another one

peronim

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 25, 2009, 04:01:33 AM »
Quote from: "peronim"

Hahaha, i'll give it to you.

Touche' my friend.

Haha, I thought someone would get a little laugh over that..How about this?  Bottom line- They're both amazing singers who have their own strengths AND weaknesses..Scott is my favorite frontman so of course people like me will have a bias..whats the use of going back and forth...Filter is a kickass band and STP is fucking amazing   let's just leave it at that instead of bashing two awesome guys..lets leave that to the pathetic journalists  ;)

StoneTempleBrett

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • Pooper Scooper
    • View Profile
    • AlternativeNation.net
« Reply #28 on: January 25, 2009, 10:11:51 AM »

60-100 people, that is seriously embarrasing. Still I think that with better promotion the record would have sold moderately well, and concert attendence would have easily been higher.

"Goodbye" didn't get much airtime in the northeast. Not that I noticed anyway. And at the time I was a delivery driver, and during that summer I worked about 8 hours a day, so I listened to plenty of radio. I would say I only heard it two or three times ever on regular radio. It did recieve more play on satellite.

I'm betting that The Firm thought the same thing that you did. "With a supergroup with Filter/STP you don't need much marketing". You would think that a supergroup formed from one popular, and one slightly less popular band that ruled the 90's/early 2000's alternative rock scene wouldn't need much marketing. But in truth, only the hardcore fans followed. Certainly more so with Filter fans since Richard Patrick was fronting the band. Since Filter doesn't have a huge fanbase, that wasn't enough and not enough STP fans followed the band/spread the word to make them a success.

But seriously, I doubt you honestly believe, even if you don't think the album was that good, that if The Firm had done a better job promoting the band they wouldn't have been somewhat successful. I mean, if you take all of the albums released in 2006, "Army of Anyone" is definately in the top ten, but i'm sure tons of shitty albums achieved much higher sales, simply because of how they were marketed.

You don't need to have a great album (and in my opinion Army of Anyone did) To be successful, it's all about how you're marketed.
Thank god it wasn't successful or Stone Temple Pilots wouldn't be together right now.  Things happen for a reason, Army of Anyone failed so we could get STP, a far superior band, back.