September 29, 2024, 11:25:13 PM

Author Topic: Going to AoA on 12/18!!  (Read 8210 times)

STPGurl

• Original Bad Girl
  • Cardinal
  • Sky Captain
  • Sucker for SRW
    • View Profile
    • SWBGC
Going to AoA on 12/18!!
« on: November 10, 2006, 07:18:45 PM »
Yip!  Just ordered my tickets a few minutes ago!

This is the most excited I've been since my very last STP show more than four years ago.  I haven't been too pumped about any show since.

Cleveland + DeLeo brothers + Jessie = Holy wow.

*died and went to heaven*
How could they not notice it?! Because it's a little mint.  It's a Junior Mint!

everylilwhore

Re: Going to AoA on 12/18!!
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2006, 10:46:58 PM »
Quote from: "STPGurl"
Yip!  Just ordered my tickets a few minutes ago!

This is the most excited I've been since my very last STP show more than four years ago.  I haven't been too pumped about any show since.

Cleveland + DeLeo brothers + Jessie = Holy wow.

*died and went to heaven*

Will have to let everyone know how you like the show.

Personally this CD has 2-3 songs that are worth listening to and Richard Patrick should go hide with Dave Coutts. Coutts was better.

Sonically, great....but damn. Another wasted set of music.

crackerdude

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2006, 11:21:52 PM »
I like Dave Coutts

pensive

• Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2006, 11:48:45 PM »
AOA kicks ass-- have fun Jessie!!  Say hello to the DeLeos for me, I get to see them again in Atlanta 11/24!

wayne gretzky

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2006, 12:33:10 AM »
Havent hear the whole album, but ive liked what Patrick has done, im not into Filter prior aside from a few songs, hes done a good job, sure hes no Scott but hey .. i like what ive heard better than the VR stuff

everylilwhore

« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2006, 08:18:35 AM »
Quote from: "wayne gretzky"
Havent hear the whole album, but ive liked what Patrick has done, im not into Filter prior aside from a few songs, hes done a good job, sure hes no Scott but hey .. i like what ive heard better than the VR stuff

Guess that is a VAST difference of opinion, considering I think this album sucks compared to the WORST parts of VR.

I have never been able to get past bands if I think their vocals sucks ass; so I really think this is the case here. I am trying really, really hard....but it's just not happening at all.

For some reason I am better off with Scott on his own with another group, than these guys with another lead singer. He is one of the best out there, and someone like Richard Patrick is never going to come close to that; I thought Talk Show proved that.

wayne gretzky

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2006, 09:08:18 AM »
Ive never been a Patrick fan , but ill have to give him props on what he has done with AOA, sure hes no Scott when it comes to vocals & showmanship as a frontman but what he puts out is still purty good, better then what i expected ..

everylilwhore

« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2006, 11:08:45 AM »
Quote from: "wayne gretzky"
Ive never been a Patrick fan , but ill have to give him props on what he has done with AOA, sure hes no Scott when it comes to vocals & showmanship as a frontman but what he puts out is still purty good, better then what i expected ..

There is no way you have heard this whole CD cover to cover, so I will wait until you do, before asking a few questions.

pensive

• Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2006, 01:57:03 PM »
The whole album is streaming on VH1 so maybe he has heard it

SilvergunSuperman

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2006, 04:27:51 PM »
Quote from: "pensive"
The whole album is streaming on VH1 so maybe he has heard it
Word.

John

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2006, 11:48:56 PM »
I've heard the whole album.  I think it's quite good.  It's better than I was expecting. 

I was never really a fan of Richard or Filter.  Now, at the same time, I never really had anything against them either.  I think he did quite a commendable job on this album.  Melodies and phrasing are the most important things to me personally.  I don't care if you're singing about your mother dying, your drug habits, or your favorite kind of peanut butter - if you have good melody, deliver, and phrasing, I'm good to go. 

I've only listened to each song a couple times as I'm going to wait for the CD so I can hear it without all the wishy-washy compressed artifacting.  There are only 2-3 songs that I'm iffy about.  I think A Better Place, Stop Look & Listen, Ain't Enough, Disappear, etc. are great.

Understand that STP fans all liked STP for different reasons, and that those reasons are most likely going to dictate (at least in some way) whether or not you like Velvet Revolver, Talk Show, Army of Anyone, etc.

I point you to an old post of mine:  http://www.belowempty.com/smf/index.php?topic=1626.25

STPGurl

• Original Bad Girl
  • Cardinal
  • Sky Captain
  • Sucker for SRW
    • View Profile
    • SWBGC
« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2006, 01:32:30 AM »
...so I caught AoA on Leno the other night.

Robert has a MULLET.  Seriously?  I keep trying to convince myself that his hair and his shirt were just blending together and making it LOOK like a mullet... but I have a feeling it's just my wishful thinking.  I think he's got a Billy Ray Cyrus thing going on.  Hard.

Oh - and Rik and Ivy, the hairstyle I'm referring to is "matje" in Dutch, I believe. 
How could they not notice it?! Because it's a little mint.  It's a Junior Mint!

everylilwhore

« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2006, 04:20:42 AM »
Quote from: "John"
I've only listened to each song a couple times as I'm going to wait for the CD so I can hear it without all the wishy-washy compressed artifacting.  There are only 2-3 songs that I'm iffy about.  I think A Better Place, Stop Look & Listen, Ain't Enough, Disappear, etc. are great.

Goodbye is the worst song on the album, so the great single selection has continued by (The Firm).

Disappear is a great song, I agree. It is one of 3 songs on this CD that I like.

I tried for 2 weeks to like all of it, but I just can't take it.

I personally feel like Patrick sounds the same on most of the songs, and even has similar melodies on a few of them. It's just the same thing over and over with the exception of the one's that stick out to me.

I think there was great potential here, but the minute I heard he was involved I kept shaking my head.

I would want to see if he can pull off those lighter songs live; personally I do not think he can, but I will still enjoy the 3 songs that I have been listening to.

I do have to say that the drumming on the album is very tight. The rest of it is an average rock/pop album at best.

BTW, the Departed soundtrack rocks.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2006, 04:25:39 AM by everylilwhore »

Anonymous

« Reply #13 on: December 15, 2006, 12:33:12 AM »
I think its a decent album. its not great, but its not bad. I also think richard patrick has a very good an unique voice. i do think scott is better, but richard is definetly respectable. they put on a great show when i saw them in boston. i met them after, theyre all really cool (especially robert)

wayne gretzky

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 15, 2006, 01:39:41 AM »
its better than decent ..