September 12, 2024, 05:29:51 AM

Author Topic: How Did You Get Into Stp  (Read 20178 times)

Aaron

• Global Moderator
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
Re: What was the first time you heard STP?
« Reply #30 on: April 30, 2008, 10:15:44 PM »
I knew and liked STP since the beginning, but it was Tiny Music that really pulled me into the fold. 

loungefly611

• The Other Scott
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
    • Scott 'The Madness' Stessl
« Reply #31 on: April 30, 2008, 10:25:47 PM »
First saw the video for Plush around 92-93. Never gave it much thought then since I really wasn't into music. Then when the Crow was released, I was totally drawn in by Big Empty. Then a month later, Purple was released and I purchased it when I was on vacation in San Diego with my family. (My first CD purchase ever!) I listened to it non-stop in my hotel room on beach while watching the NBA Finals and the OJ Simpson chase :)
Dedicated. Disgusting. Disturbing.

I'm just sittin' on this merry-go-round, and the music is too loud..

StoneTempleBrett

• AlternativeNation.net & STPfans.com
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • Pooper Scooper
    • View Profile
    • AlternativeNation.net
« Reply #32 on: April 30, 2008, 10:42:37 PM »
Interstate Love Song sometime as a toddler in 1994.

STP Shows: 5/1/08, 6/24/08, 12/31/08, 7/1/09, 5/25/10, 6/5/10, 10/29/10, 9/22/12, 5/30/13, 9/1/13
Velvet Revolver Shows: 7/22/06, 9/15/07
Scott Weiland Shows: 12/14/08, 12/8/11

thejackal

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 01, 2008, 01:24:13 AM »
Song, Plush.....Video (you young kids don't know about MTV videos) was Sex Type Thing.

morcegohoman

• Contributors
  • Co-Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 01, 2008, 02:15:56 AM »
I'm 42 now, so I was 27 then (1993).
The DJ on the radio made a point of saying that "the lead singer's name is Weiland" because I'm pretty sure that's all it says in the liner notes, so that's all we knew for a while. The internet didn't really kick in until '94 or '95 so info was all from the DJs. The song was Plush, and to me, it sounded like Eddie Vedder with a better band behind him. I bought the album and really liked it, but Plush was the only standout song to me at the time.

Then I saw them in April of '97 in Portland, Maine, and they opened with Crackerman (like they always do) and it was fucking awesome.

Somba Nova

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
    • http://www.cobhammar.wordpress.com
« Reply #35 on: May 01, 2008, 04:47:44 AM »
when down was released.
that song is badass.
In Here, We\'re All Anemic.

Rocketboy

• Cardinal
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 01, 2008, 04:55:07 AM »
When Sex Type Thing was all over the radio, but it was Plush that truly sold me on the band.

lovemachine97

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 01, 2008, 05:50:54 AM »
I first saw the MTV UNplugged video for Big Empty on MTV around my freshman year of high school, '93/'94.  That piqued my interest.  Not only did this open the floodgates for me on modern music, and my eventual passion for music.  Before, I was just listening to my parent's music--The Beatles, Clapton, Warren Zevon...etc. 

But when I heard this song, I eventually bought Purple (on cassette, no less), and the rest is history.  I have seen the band 6 times, and VR twice.  Love Scott, love the band, thing they are the most underrated band of the era, maybe one of the most of all time.

And I have them to thank for my love of music, and going on 11 years of playing the guitar.

Silvergun Picture Show

• They Call Me Phil.
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • Buy a minute, spend an hour burnin' burnin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 01, 2008, 07:10:10 AM »
Well I am 20 now so about 12 years ago when I was 8 I remember seeing "Big Bang Baby" on MTV back when it was it's actual name (Music Television). I loved the song. my childhood friend's dad had the Tiny Music cd and we heard "Art School Girl " and kept singing it all the time from what I remember....Here I am now going to see STP for the first time, twice in the span of a few days this month!!!
STP: 08/22/10 - Cleveland, OH.
        08/28/10 - Pittsburgh, PA.

"Some of my finest hours have been spent on my back veranda, smoking hemp and observing as far as my eye could see."
-Thoman Jefferson

White Knuckles

• Contributors
  • Co-Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 01, 2008, 07:21:10 AM »
Quote from: "tatiana"
wow - you guys are just babes...

sex type thing - video - first released.

at the time of sex type thing yeah,.... not anymore tho

Promising_Boy

• Contributors
  • Flight Attendant
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 01, 2008, 12:32:31 PM »
Now that's a great question ! It's like being asked about the day you lost your virginity or something... hehe... so... The man responsible for introducing me with STP music was my uncle, however he wasn't responsible for losing my virginity of course... that's the credit of one local nympho women, but that's a different forum topic... phahaha.... where was I ? ... oh yeah... He lived in Detroit for like 20 years, and after he came back here (fabulous land of Serbia) for good, he gave me 3 of their albums just to check them out, as he said... Core, Purlpe, and Tiny Music ... it was 2001... i never gave him back the cds... and the rest is history... now i'm the biggest STP freak in all the east Europe... hahaha
« Last Edit: May 01, 2008, 01:42:29 PM by Promising_Boy »

Ivy

• Administrator
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 01, 2008, 04:51:12 PM »
Quote from: "Aaron"
I knew and liked STP since the beginning, but it was Tiny Music that really pulled me into the fold. 

Same here..I always knew them...especially Creep and Plush. But I didn't get into STP until 1997 when I heard big bang baby on the radio. I was like who the hell is this band? I remember asking my friend who owned tiny music if I could borrow it and listen to it. The time I put it on..I fell in love with the band.
Have a coke and a smile and shut the fuck up.

FelixKönich

• Contributors
  • Co-Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 01, 2008, 05:02:05 PM »
The first time i heard them was i the "the Crow" movie with big empty! A great movie and then i bought the soundtrack and then the rest you will know

Layne&Wasp

• Flight Attendant
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 01, 2008, 06:33:27 PM »
shooting hoops in a buddys driveway back in 93.  we used to turn the local rocker on and turn the speakers to point out the windows.  "Plush" hooked me.

Somba Nova

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
    • http://www.cobhammar.wordpress.com
« Reply #44 on: May 02, 2008, 01:07:52 AM »
Quote from: "Ivy"
Same here..I always knew them...especially Creep and Plush. But I didn't get into STP until 1997 when I heard big bang baby on the radio. I was like who the hell is this band? I remember asking my friend who owned tiny music if I could borrow it and listen to it. The time I put it on..I fell in love with the band.

kind of a cool story. most people i meet became fans around core and purple, not tiny music. but tiny music happens to be their favorite album
In Here, We\'re All Anemic.