September 17, 2024, 08:09:36 PM

Author Topic: How Did You Get Into Stp  (Read 20291 times)

STPGurl

• Original Bad Girl
  • Cardinal
  • Sky Captain
  • Sucker for SRW
    • View Profile
    • SWBGC
Re: What was the first time you heard STP?
« Reply #60 on: May 05, 2008, 07:01:09 PM »
1996 - "Lady Picture Show." 

I was just shy of my 12th birthday.  Something in that song absolutely moved me - rocked me to my core (pun intended).  Turned out Mom already had "Tiny Music..." which I immediately stole from her (I still haven't given it back).  I forced her to take me to the record store the next day, where I bought Core and Purple.

There was no turning back.  This nasty obsession has been growing for the better part of 12 years now, and I really don't see any end in sight.  Loves it.
How could they not notice it?! Because it's a little mint.  It's a Junior Mint!

thewicke

• Contributors
  • Co-Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: May 06, 2008, 02:03:35 AM »
i was hooked when i heard core, although it didn't make the best first impression, although i didn't know shit about music back then

VeiledTrickerySTP

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: May 06, 2008, 04:13:51 AM »
I've gotten to the point where I'm really only listening to STP now. I really should be more varied in my music but I just don't feel like listening to anything else. (Unless it is Velvet Revolver).

loungefly611

• The Other Scott
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
    • Scott 'The Madness' Stessl
« Reply #63 on: May 06, 2008, 06:04:34 AM »
Quote from: "STPGurl"
1996 - "Lady Picture Show." 

Really? That's really cool. I would have never guessed that to be the song to hook someone to STP.
Dedicated. Disgusting. Disturbing.

I'm just sittin' on this merry-go-round, and the music is too loud..

Tol

• Flight Attendant
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: May 06, 2008, 08:17:37 AM »
About five or four years ago i had my first STP taste. It was Interstate love song, after that i listened the whole Purple album. well that was only the begining!!!
take a load off

wayne gretzky

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: May 06, 2008, 05:47:38 PM »
First time i hear them was when plush came out and i was still in elementary school.  Heard it on sum countdown on my buddies house, i wasnt into music at the time but me friend was really into rock, i claimed that it sounded like PJ, and my buddy disagreed with me.  But what really got me hooked on STP was when Purple came out and i saw the Vasoline video (was my first cd), a week later bought CORE, thats the only STPcd i didnt buy on its release date

ShirleyTemplesPie

• Contributors
  • Co-Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: May 06, 2008, 06:01:08 PM »
Quote from: "wayne gretzky"
a week later bought CORE, thats the only STPcd i didnt buy on its release date

Core was the only stp cd I didn't buy on release date too. 

STPGurl

• Original Bad Girl
  • Cardinal
  • Sky Captain
  • Sucker for SRW
    • View Profile
    • SWBGC
« Reply #67 on: May 06, 2008, 06:59:23 PM »
Quote from: "loungefly611"
Really? That's really cool. I would have never guessed that to be the song to hook someone to STP.

I still don't know what it was - still is - about that song.  I just absolutely fucking love it (even though ILS is my favorite).  For me, I think STP just came to me at a time where I was just really starting to do my own thing.  They were just the right thing at the right time, I guess.  It's hard being a kid, especially a girl, at 11, 12, 13.  It sucks.  STP was something that didn't suck.  Little did I know it was, basically, going to take over my life forever.  lol
How could they not notice it?! Because it's a little mint.  It's a Junior Mint!

Nolan

• Arrival
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: May 14, 2008, 04:15:42 PM »
It was a lot recently then you people... around November 2006. I was watching that
"100 Greatest Hard Rock Bands" of all time show on vh1. and STP came on and they really grabbed my interest so i went and downloaded big empty and i listened to that song for a month lol, and around christmas time i got Thank You, Listened to that for about 2 months... then i got a job and bought all their albums and yeah :)

CrackerStp

• Ground Personnel
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: May 14, 2008, 05:30:17 PM »
Intestate Love Song in 1994. I was with my father in the car.

dskpilots

• Flight Attendant
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: May 14, 2008, 08:35:12 PM »
I first heard STP while watching MTV (when it was still MTV) and saw the Big Empty unplugged performance.  That really piqued my curiousity, so I asked for a STP CD for my birthday (I was 14 at the time).  I got Purple (the first CD I ever owned!) and the rest was history.  I was hooked and then had to go out and buy Core.  Unbeknownst to me at the time was that they also did Plush and Creep.  14 years later, STP still rocks!!

AdhesiveLove27

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: May 15, 2008, 02:55:19 PM »
Keep in mind I am only 18...I've been a fan for 10 years! To this day they are probably my favorite band.

The first time I heard STP I was five.. It was in the car around the time "Interstate Love Song" was released.
I got into them for real about 3 years later at age 8. Music has always been my first love. We didnt have a lot of money growing up so I got my first STP CD when No4 came out. (I saved my money and bought it)...

I was captivated by the huge sound that little band put out and was mesmorized by Scott's voice! I was sucked in and have been a fan ever since. I have all of their CD's.. and am going to see them for the first time this summer!!!
\\\"If You Don\\\'t Stop Thinkin\\\' Soon You Will Be Drinkin\\\' And You\\\'re Better Off Just Stay

STPfanATIC

• Contributors
  • Flight Attendant
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: May 15, 2008, 04:44:08 PM »
first time i heard stp was when i saw the interstate love song video on MTV (my how times have changed) soon after i was starting listening to their other stuff when i realized i heard some of it before but i never knew it was them but from then on i've been hooked

PhoenixFiles

• Contributors
  • Co-Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: May 16, 2008, 01:32:18 AM »
Core hit my ears as a freshman at CU-Boulder in '93.  After dropping out a year later, a group of friends road tripped to Moab, UT with only two tapes on hand, Core and the first Jane's Addiction.  When one finished we just popped in the other, all freakin' weekend.  Crackerman was my early favorite:

Roamin, roamin, roam
Get away, gotta get away
And I think I think too much
I dont care, yeah and I dont care 

I first saw them live at Bar-B-Que Mitzvah with the Butthole Surfers at Red Rocks that summer.  Now, a week shy of 15 years later, I'll be back at Red Rocks with 3 of those same friends! Life is good.
We have art in order not to die of the truth.
-Friedrich Nietzsche

blink706

• Contributors
  • Co-Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: May 16, 2008, 01:43:07 AM »
well i'm only 14, so i guess i'm part of the new generation of fans.
first time i heard stp was when i found core in my basement. been hooked since then