September 20, 2024, 09:45:16 AM

Author Topic: Stone Temple Pilots Tribute Album  (Read 40732 times)

Anonymous

Stone Temple Pilots Tribute Album
« Reply #75 on: March 31, 2004, 11:28:00 PM »
anyone know about the tribute album? like has anybody bought it?

Anonymous

« Reply #76 on: April 06, 2004, 06:07:43 AM »
No, but I went to good ol' Amazon.com and took a listen. There is absolutely NO info regarding the bands on this record. ANYWHERE on the net. I think the bands may be ashamed to be part of it. I would be. I like it when a band covers a song, and adds a new dimension to it, but not totally changes it up. But this is the opposite extreme - from the 5 samples on Amazon, it sounds as though these bands could all pass for average STP cover bands - everything sounds like they tried to re-record the original version. It sounds like STP got really drunk, and recorded all of their hits again. Nothing unique, nothing to bring new life to the songs, so in other words - shitty covers.

Here's the link, go listen, I wanna hear what you think.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detai...=glance&s=music
« Last Edit: April 06, 2004, 06:09:25 AM by Anonymous »

Anonymous

« Reply #77 on: April 06, 2004, 09:42:04 AM »
No, but I went to good ol' Amazon.com and took a listen. There is absolutely NO info regarding the bands on this record. ANYWHERE on the net. I think the bands may be ashamed to be part of it. I would be. I like it when a band covers a song, and adds a new dimension to it, but not totally changes it up. But this is the opposite extreme - from the 5 samples on Amazon, it sounds as though these bands could all pass for average STP cover bands - everything sounds like they tried to re-record the original version. It sounds like STP got really drunk, and recorded all of their hits again. Nothing unique, nothing to bring new life to the songs, so in other words - shitty covers.

I could have sworn I heard these guys play at a Holiday Inn bar somewhere...

:lol:

I feel sorry for these guys, they'll only get ripped on.  :unsure:

STPGurl

• Original Bad Girl
  • Cardinal
  • Sky Captain
  • Sucker for SRW
    • View Profile
    • SWBGC
« Reply #78 on: April 06, 2004, 08:54:55 PM »
OH MY GOD.

That was WORSE than STP getting horribly drunk and re-recording their own songs.  It was like... a bunch of high school stoner fucks that thought they could sound like STP.
How could they not notice it?! Because it's a little mint.  It's a Junior Mint!

SilvergunSuperman

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: April 06, 2004, 11:48:20 PM »
OH MY GOD.

That was WORSE than STP getting horribly drunk and re-recording their own songs.  It was like... a bunch of high school stoner fucks that thought they could sound like STP.
hm...i'm strangely interested...

tommygunn

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: April 07, 2004, 12:12:08 AM »

STPGurl

• Original Bad Girl
  • Cardinal
  • Sky Captain
  • Sucker for SRW
    • View Profile
    • SWBGC
« Reply #81 on: April 07, 2004, 01:47:17 AM »

:o
http://www.click-smilies.de/sammlung030 ... ey-015.gif[/img]
LOL - which did you think was worse - "Vasoline" or "Down?"   :lol:

Five Star Edge

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: April 07, 2004, 02:00:43 AM »
Actually the whole album is played by one 'band', although their name is never mentioned so maybe it's just a bunch of guys who got together and decided to record some STP songs.  Who knows.  Some info:

Vocals - Sean McLaughlin
Bass and Guitars - Brian Bart
Drums - Mark Miller
Background Vocals on 'Wicked Garden' - BB and Morticia

Overall, this release is a piece of crap.  There is absolutely no artistic interpretation on any of these songs, and there only intent is to recreate what STP did......which they fail to do of course.
I’m here to bleed for all the lust and lonely nights.

Anonymous

« Reply #83 on: April 07, 2004, 07:18:55 AM »
You know, I wonder.... I just stumbled across a Queens of the Stone Age tribute album online, same scenario, and I thought that it sounded like all of it was done by one band (shit, possibly the same band as this STP tribute!). This is getting ridiculous! Both are on unheard-of labels, "Tribute Sounds" and "Tributized", respectively. Labels started for the sole purpose of getting mediocre musicians together to attempt at putting out the same recordings we all know. This is a trend!? How sick. Anything for a buck, huh? I can't believe they're getting the distribution they are. I hope they're at least doing it legally - but it would be great if they get sued! The Audioslave one mentioned earlier really takes the cake.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2004, 07:20:09 AM by Anonymous »

bunbury_hmr

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: April 07, 2004, 07:37:11 PM »
Eeeek......

Well All the Suits that you Wear might be a good thing to put as the first track since it was the only decent track from the samplers. But Down was just really bad. The guy is trying too much to sound like Scott. He should get some real mastering on his vocals before he tries to immitate him, it was an Ok attempt. I might support their label an buy sometime in the future but this isnt the kind of thing i was expecting at all. I rather would have wanted more Artistic people on the Record, i am sure it is a good excuse for the bands Manager to get their name out there for a some what contract (but maybe not a STP Cover band).
 Speaking of a STP Cover band, wasnt there one? It played at couple of shows in Virginia, Pittsburgh? They would have made a much better band on this; atleast they would have been asked to be on this record to atleast save some of the tracks.
 :(

STPGurl

• Original Bad Girl
  • Cardinal
  • Sky Captain
  • Sucker for SRW
    • View Profile
    • SWBGC
« Reply #85 on: April 08, 2004, 12:18:09 AM »
Actually the whole album is played by one 'band', although their name is never mentioned...
...if my band sounded that shitty, I'd be sure that our names weren't mentioned on the record, either.  Can't really blame them.   :blink:

Anonymous

« Reply #86 on: April 09, 2004, 06:54:53 PM »
That was so bad, so incredibly BAD. So bad its funny to listen to. What were they thinking? Did they think ANYONE would want to buy this? Go back to your Thursday night headlining gig at that crap bar on the corner of Sucks and Ass streets.

wayne gretzky

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: April 09, 2004, 10:48:51 PM »
i think "down" is worse,but the guy sounds ala an 80's metal band which is interesting but not good

violentgreen

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: April 10, 2004, 10:30:15 PM »
Best Buy is selling the cd.
Oh yeah, that looks much sexier on you.

Five Star Edge

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: April 11, 2004, 04:01:33 AM »
Best Buy is selling the cd.
yep......that's where I bought my copy....$11.99.....what a deal :rolleyes:
I’m here to bleed for all the lust and lonely nights.