September 20, 2024, 07:48:41 AM

Author Topic: Stone Temple Pilots Tribute Album  (Read 40729 times)

pibe.91

• Contributors
  • Co-Pilot
    • View Profile
    • http://www.fotolog.com/noventero
Re: Stone Temple Pilots Tribute Album
« Reply #210 on: May 27, 2008, 10:06:25 PM »
that would be fantastic... i want good bands covering stp's songs.. i dont know, like offspring , green day , primus, etc etc.. but not SUM41 PLEASE NO!!!

bye

Juanma

Wicked Gardener

• Contributors
  • Co-Pilot
    • View Profile
Re: STP tribute bands
« Reply #212 on: May 28, 2008, 05:56:06 AM »
These guys are far better than anything posted yet:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VFX6Zj8SHeE

Art School Boy

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: May 29, 2008, 02:08:48 AM »
not bad but not stp. they have a lot of work to do.
i am smellin like a rose that somebody gave me on my birthday deathbed

Wicked Gardener

• Contributors
  • Co-Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: May 29, 2008, 04:52:03 AM »
Keep in mind, those guys are from Costa Rica and English isn't their first language. If you click on the user's videos you'll notice that in addition to Silvergun Superman they also do Still Remains, Pretty Penny and Daisy. It's awesome that they do all those album tracks and not just the hits.

Jenkinsons

• Contributors
  • Co-Pilot
    • View Profile
    • http://www.imdb.com/name/nm1246112/
« Reply #215 on: May 29, 2008, 09:06:15 PM »
"Plush" sounds pretty good.  Anyone know if there's a tribute near NYC?
If I was stronger I could be a mountain range
If night was longer Could I escape the day?

stpfan77

• Contributors
  • Co-Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: May 31, 2008, 01:56:45 PM »
Quote from: "Jenkinsons"
"Plush" sounds pretty good.  Anyone know if there's a tribute near NYC?

I'm looking to start one (NYC area). I'm dead serious.

I play guitar and bass, and have played both for about 15 years. I was in a cover band in college, and we did a couple STP songs - of course the hits (Plush, Interstate). But I also made the other guitarist (I played bass in the band) learn one of the guitar parts of Daisy - off Tiny Music - and I learned the other one, and so we played that a couple times. There's video (perhaps long lost) taken by someone of me and the guitar player doing Daisy at some sports bar, while the other guys took a breather, way long ago - probably in like 1997 or something.

Anyway, the STP Reunion has inspired me. I've been re-learning all their songs on guitar. Well actually I knew most of the first 2 albums by heart anyway from learning them when they first came out. I know a little bit of TM (have to brush up on that), a couple songs off No. 4 (including Sour Girl - just learned Gilde, beautiful guitar parts in that song) ... and I spent about the last week and a half or so teaching myself Shangri La - like the entire album. Only problem is that for Bi-Polar Bear - it's in a very weird tuning. Took me about 15 mins. just to get it to the right tuning for the song - and it was even harder because I don't have an electric tuner. Did it by ear.

Anyway, anybody in the NYC area that would at least like to jam around on some STP songs, I'm always game. A tribute band would be sweet, but I wouldn't want to do it unless I knew for sure it was really going to rock.
It\'s more or less the same old story
The princess and the whore the lady!

Jenkinsons

• Contributors
  • Co-Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: June 02, 2008, 06:04:09 PM »
awesome stpfan77.  i'm starting to play guitar more again myself... keep in touch if you get serious about this.

stpfan77

• Contributors
  • Co-Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: June 05, 2008, 02:13:06 AM »
Quote from: "Jenkinsons"
awesome stpfan77.  i'm starting to play guitar more again myself... keep in touch if you get serious about this.

Absolutely man. I've been wanting to test the waters for that sort of thing for awhile now. I could play guitar or bass, comfortable with either. I mean, frankly, bass is a bit easier. But then again, Robert's bass lines are pretty bad-ass ... that's a whole other story right there. His bass lines don't just follow Dean's riffs, ya know. He comes up with bass riffs of his own that supplement what Dean's playing and still perfectly fit the song. He's pretty much a genius actually, and doesn't get anywhere near the amount of credit he deserves for how influential and original he has been with his instrument.

Anyway, I can play rhythm guitar but only VERY limited lead. And for singing, I can hold a tune here or there (backing vocs on some tunes, MAYBE lead on a couple), but I am definitely not a lead vocalist by trade. Hell it would be fun just to find like-minded people in the NYC/north jersey area to bang out some STP tunes - even if it doesn't go anywhere beyond that.

I mean honestly, this is something I've had in mind to do going all the way back to the Shanri-La tour in 2001-02, before the break-up. Unfortunately, I never had any friends who happened to be

1) huge STP fans
AND
2) musicians - at the same time.
It\'s more or less the same old story
The princess and the whore the lady!

CMCracker

• **Bad Girl**
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: June 05, 2008, 02:47:04 AM »
I saw one in Rockford IL one night called stone velvet roses and they played all 3 bands songs. Did an AWESOMEJOB!!!
♪♫Give you all those diamonds, Give you more and more, Shattered all those lies, I bought You from the record store ♪♫

Art School Boy

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #220 on: June 05, 2008, 03:04:28 AM »
just started one. i am the vocalist/frontman. and due to demands of other members we wont be exclusively stp. there will be some ramones and soundgarden thrown in as well.
i am smellin like a rose that somebody gave me on my birthday deathbed

Jenkinsons

• Contributors
  • Co-Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: June 05, 2008, 06:47:01 PM »
I'll be taking some songwriting lessons this summer and therefore practicing more... we'll see what happens, evern if we just get together to jam sometime - I haven't played with a bass player in over 3 years!

rustic

• Contributors
  • Co-Pilot
    • View Profile
As Fast As cover of Plush
« Reply #222 on: August 10, 2008, 05:46:49 PM »
There's a band from Portland, ME called "As Fast As" that covered Plush in concert a few years ago.  Kind of an interesting take on it...

http://www.archive.org/details/afa2003-12-31.flac16

They also have an album called "The Hunt and Peck EP" that apparently has that song on it too, but it's out of print and hard to find.

Olivia

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
Re: As Fast As cover of Plush
« Reply #223 on: August 11, 2008, 07:54:21 PM »
Interesting.... kind of liked the piano...

rustic

• Contributors
  • Co-Pilot
    • View Profile
Re: As Fast As cover of Plush
« Reply #224 on: August 11, 2008, 09:07:40 PM »
I like As Fast As in its own right, but it's nothing like STP, so I thought it was interesting that they covered them.  Their "Open Letter To The Damned" album is worth picking up if you don't mind venturing into the more poppy side of rock.  The lead singer is the keyboard player from Rustic Overtones, which is why he breaks out the piano or a keyboard on some songs.