October 03, 2024, 05:24:35 PM

Author Topic: Grunge peers  (Read 11175 times)

guitarbutt

• Contributors
  • Co-Pilot
    • View Profile
Re: Did Kurt Cobain ever voice his opinion on STP?
« Reply #30 on: December 16, 2008, 06:21:35 PM »
ha i was gonna say that comatose.  i forgot where i read it, i think in a guitar legends of nirvana

wickedgarden23

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
Re: News article actually compares STP to Creed and Nickelback
« Reply #31 on: September 21, 2009, 10:52:41 PM »
Eh I don't think it's that bad...I mean it takes a shot at STP but I don't think it's necessarily comparing STP to Nickelback and Creed. Just saying that STP posed off of Pearl Jam, and then Creed posed off STP, and then Nickelback posed off of them. It is bullshit but it's not like he said Plush sounds like How You Remind Me or something lol
My STP shows: 8/10/2008, 7/19/2009, 10/10/2009, 5/22/2010, 4/26/2011, 4/24/2015   Weiland solo: 1/29/2009, 11/29/2012, 3/13/2015    VR: 8/5/2007

TemplePilot

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 22, 2009, 07:13:45 AM »
I only had to read the first sentence to know that he and I will never agree on anything.

XxCollinsxX

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 22, 2009, 01:39:47 PM »
hmm..i mean pearl jam is an ok band at best....i guess i never understood what people and writters see in them..i think stp is way musically versed then pearl jam..and all together a good band..and after all these year some people still think stp is a pearl jam knock off...if you listen to both bands album all the song...they are from different world aside from maybe core..

HeavenandHotrods87

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 24, 2009, 06:58:01 AM »
I like STP and Pearl Jam, both are great bands. I just hate when people compare them to each other. As for Creed and Nickelback those bands are total garbage...especially Nickelback.

STP

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 24, 2009, 12:27:21 PM »
Considering the fact that STP was born in '87, although called MJY, the guys were the same, so the core is the same.

Then STP couldn't have been posed off of PJ.
Aside the fact that Ten was released in 91 and the Core album in 92, still STP was formed before PJ.

Damn, I hate these articles. It shows how much this douchebags ignore the facts. Or don't know them.
Whatever they say I am, that's what I'm not!

wickedgarden23

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 24, 2009, 04:22:19 PM »
Quote from: "STP"
Considering the fact that STP was born in '87, although called MJY, the guys were the same, so the core is the same.

Aside the fact that Ten was released in 91 and the Core album in 92, still STP was formed before PJ.

Damn, I hate these articles. It shows how much this douchebags ignore the facts. Or don't know them.
Not that the mainstream would know this, but to prove that Scott wasn't actually copying off Eddie for the voice he uses on Core (especially Plush), just listen to Only Dying and some other songs off the MJY demo. He uses that deep, grungy voice...and that was like late 80s/1990, before he would've ever heard Eddie Vedder sing.
My STP shows: 8/10/2008, 7/19/2009, 10/10/2009, 5/22/2010, 4/26/2011, 4/24/2015   Weiland solo: 1/29/2009, 11/29/2012, 3/13/2015    VR: 8/5/2007

wayne gretzky

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 25, 2009, 05:49:18 PM »
I always remember Scott saying that he was worried that people would say that he was imitating Jim Morrison on CORE, because he had been listening to a lot of doors during the CORE sessions.

Blue

• Your Friend
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 25, 2009, 09:58:55 PM »
Quote from: "wickedgarden23"
Quote from: "STP"

Not that the mainstream would know this, but to prove that Scott wasn't actually copying off Eddie for the voice he uses on Core (especially Plush), just listen to Only Dying and some other songs off the MJY demo. He uses that deep, grungy voice...and that was like late 80s/1990, before he would've ever heard Eddie Vedder sing.

Plus anyone who knows what singing is can tell the differance between Scott and Eddie.

Eddie Vedder's style is based almost entirely on constricting his airflow so that the ressonance comes from his throat. If you watch videos of him you can obviously see his teeth are seldom more than a few centimeters apart.

Scott used his full mouth for resonance. Watch any Core era video and you can see Scott fully enunciates every single syllable. Even when he sang quitly, he practically unhinged his jaw for vowels like A and O.

But somehow people think because Eddie is a baritone and Scott is a baritone then Scott is copying Eddie
Grab the hate and drown it out...

Marsbars

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 26, 2009, 12:01:56 AM »
blue do you happen to be a vocal instructor? i understand but how can you resonate through the jaw?

Plus anyone who knows what singing is can tell the differance between Scott and Eddie.

Eddie Vedder's style is based almost entirely on constricting his airflow so that the ressonance comes from his throat. If you watch videos of him you can obviously see his teeth are seldom more than a few centimeters apart.

Scott used his full mouth for resonance. Watch any Core era video and you can see Scott fully enunciates every single syllable. Even when he sang quitly, he practically unhinged his jaw for vowels like A and O.

But somehow people think because Eddie is a baritone and Scott is a baritone then Scott is copying Eddie[/quote]
cause the world is colorblind

LaLaGrunge

• Contributors
  • Pilot
  • And So I Know
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 28, 2009, 09:43:25 PM »
The whole article was a surprisingly balanced interview from a guy who obviously likes Nirvana a whole hell of a lot better than Pearl Jam. I guess that's the way it's always been between Pearl Jam and Nirvana fans. It's always been a "cultural difference". Nirvana represented the hipster/indie rock/punk attitude while PJ was the more classic rock/neil young/springsteen/surfer attitude.

And those differences reflected in each bands' music and caused a staunch divide between music listeners.
Alter Bridge: 10/20/07
Live: 3/15/08
STP: 5/18/08, 5/31/08/Scott Weiland: 1/24/09
Metallica: 1/17/09
The Smithereens: 1/14/14/Sugar Ray-Better Than Ezra-Eve 6: 8/21/15

loungefly611

• The Other Scott
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
    • Scott 'The Madness' Stessl
« Reply #41 on: September 29, 2009, 12:49:53 AM »
Quote from: "LaLaGrunge"
The whole article was a surprisingly balanced interview from a guy who obviously likes Nirvana a whole hell of a lot better than Pearl Jam. I guess that's the way it's always been between Pearl Jam and Nirvana fans. It's always been a "cultural difference". Nirvana represented the hipster/indie rock/punk attitude while PJ was the more classic rock/neil young/springsteen/surfer attitude.

And those differences reflected in each bands' music and caused a staunch divide between music listeners.

A former really good friend of mine was a die-hard Nirvana fan, and I am a die-hard Pearl Jam fan. He was lukewarm toward PJ, as I am toward Nirvana. We both respected each other's band, but we wouldn't go out of our way to listen to them. I did make him a PJ comp once. He loved STP though, so that was the sliver lining :)
Dedicated. Disgusting. Disturbing.

I'm just sittin' on this merry-go-round, and the music is too loud..

Autopilot

• Flight Attendant
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 06, 2009, 02:22:40 AM »
well if you have heard nickleback they do sound alot like creed and scott on songs like creep and stuff. poser bands are everywhere. just like video games, remember all those doom clones! it works the same in music and movies.
We have Liftoff the pilots are in the air!

tumbleintherough

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
something interesting i found out about robert
« Reply #43 on: February 24, 2010, 12:04:06 AM »
so i have this little bio book thing on stp from 94 and robert says to this day he has never heard a pearl jam record, also i read in an interview robert said when stp was on tour back in the day with pearl jam and soundgarden he said he talked to chris cornell and eddie vedder and he said they were jerks and had egos, i was suprised about this i thought these bands were all friends anyone else suprised?

Only_dying

• Contributors
  • Co-Pilot
    • View Profile
Re: something interesting i found out about robert
« Reply #44 on: March 03, 2010, 10:50:29 PM »
I heard that STP got on well with members of Pearl Jam except for Eddie Vedder, think Scott said he was a bit of a loner or something, cant remember where I read that now but yeah