September 20, 2024, 05:38:44 AM

Author Topic: Too Cool Queenie!  (Read 16191 times)

violentgreen

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
Too Cool Queenie!
« Reply #45 on: September 29, 2005, 04:40:18 AM »
So much for the Coma Movement.
HELL YES. I wanted Coma to be the first single!
I still think that song is a hack
Oh yeah, that looks much sexier on you.

wayne gretzky

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
Too Cool Queenie!
« Reply #46 on: September 29, 2005, 09:12:43 AM »
Coma is a  hack?? .. funny Scott mentioning releasing half-the album but did they even play half of the album live?

John

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
Too Cool Queenie!
« Reply #47 on: September 29, 2005, 06:58:27 PM »
I agree.  I think it would have been laughed off the radio by most people.  Coma is a song that should NOT have been on the album.  If Dumb Love and Coma were replaced by Samba Nova and About a Fool, we'd have a totally different album...  a far more consistent album as well.

Somba Nova

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
    • http://www.cobhammar.wordpress.com
Too Cool Queenie!
« Reply #48 on: September 29, 2005, 10:02:15 PM »
I think I read somewhere that Scott was friends with Kurt. Or he at least really respected him.
In Here, We\'re All Anemic.

STPGurl

• Original Bad Girl
  • Cardinal
  • Sky Captain
  • Sucker for SRW
    • View Profile
    • SWBGC
Too Cool Queenie!
« Reply #49 on: September 30, 2005, 02:39:21 PM »
I agree.  I think it would have been laughed off the radio by most people.  Coma is a song that should NOT have been on the album.  If Dumb Love and Coma were replaced by Samba Nova and About a Fool, we'd have a totally different album...  a far more consistent album as well.
Heh.  So, John... I guess that means you and I were the only ones that thought the "Coma Movement" was a laughing stock?
How could they not notice it?! Because it's a little mint.  It's a Junior Mint!

violentgreen

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
Too Cool Queenie!
« Reply #50 on: September 30, 2005, 10:18:19 PM »
I agree.  I think it would have been laughed off the radio by most people.  Coma is a song that should NOT have been on the album.  If Dumb Love and Coma were replaced by Samba Nova and About a Fool, we'd have a totally different album...  a far more consistent album as well.
Heh.  So, John... I guess that means you and I were the only ones that thought the "Coma Movement" was a laughing stock?
No, I was there too.  I never liked the song and I knew from the past that any attempt to get the band to give a shit about the fans was futile and fans have no influence over what is on the radio anymore.  I remember in high school, we could call up radio stations and ask for absurd shit and they'd play it.  Those days are long gone.

Rocketboy

• Cardinal
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
Too Cool Queenie!
« Reply #51 on: September 30, 2005, 10:19:09 PM »
I agree.  I think it would have been laughed off the radio by most people.  Coma is a song that should NOT have been on the album.  If Dumb Love and Coma were replaced by Samba Nova and About a Fool, we'd have a totally different album...  a far more consistent album as well.
I didn't think it would work either.
It was a noble effort, but the fanbase just wasn't big enough to actually accomplish anything, IMO.

SilvergunSuperman

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
Too Cool Queenie!
« Reply #52 on: October 01, 2005, 05:30:40 AM »
I didn't think it would work either.
It was a noble effort, but the fanbase just wasn't big enough to actually accomplish anything, IMO.
I still remember that DJ from whatever station e-mailing something like, "Fuck off, you STP motherfuckers!" Good times...

trippinjim

• Ground Personnel
    • View Profile
Too Cool Queenie!
« Reply #53 on: October 03, 2005, 03:54:15 AM »
Why does an album have to be 'consistent'? (John 29/Sept)   Surely if the songs are good they're good, they don't all have to sound similar or need to be 'pidgeon holed' as the same category or genre do they?

Personally I think the whole argument about album song listings is a furphy.  STP stuck to a simple album structure.  They started with hard ones, slowly eased back and then halfway thru (side B of the platter in the old days kids) they went hard again and followed the same plan.  They also always put the slower, anthemic?, longer ones at the end.  Look at any album and it's usually very clear to identify these markers.  I won't list all the songs.

PS  Ive never been a huge fan of Coma, Dumb Love is........reasonable but Regeneration does nothing for me so I agree.  Yet I love Down, No Way Out, Trippin, Meatplow, Silvergun etc etc.  Not many of the rockier ones work for me on SLDD.

Anonymous

Too Cool Queenie!
« Reply #54 on: October 03, 2005, 08:21:49 AM »
Why do you all criticize SLDD so much? Its a great album. Shut Up! Its always the last release of a band that gets picked on the most. If Little Richard was here id make him tell you all to shup up.

Somba Nova

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
    • http://www.cobhammar.wordpress.com
Too Cool Queenie!
« Reply #55 on: October 08, 2005, 06:13:06 PM »
Why does an album have to be 'consistent'? (John 29/Sept)   Surely if the songs are good they're good, they don't all have to sound similar or need to be 'pidgeon holed' as the same category or genre do they?

Personally I think the whole argument about album song listings is a furphy.  STP stuck to a simple album structure.  They started with hard ones, slowly eased back and then halfway thru (side B of the platter in the old days kids) they went hard again and followed the same plan.  They also always put the slower, anthemic?, longer ones at the end.  Look at any album and it's usually very clear to identify these markers.  I won't list all the songs.

PS  Ive never been a huge fan of Coma, Dumb Love is........reasonable but Regeneration does nothing for me so I agree.  Yet I love Down, No Way Out, Trippin, Meatplow, Silvergun etc etc.  Not many of the rockier ones work for me on SLDD.
Um. Coma, Dumb Love, and Regeneration are some of the best songs on SLDD. I see your point on their album patterns though.
In Here, We\'re All Anemic.

Anonymous

Re: Too Cool Queenie!
« Reply #56 on: March 19, 2006, 03:03:19 AM »
For some reason I remember hearing that it was part YOKO ONO & part COURTNEY LOVE??....

Erik B.

• I'm just this guy, ya know?
  • Cardinal
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: March 26, 2006, 08:14:00 PM »
I giggle a little when folks bring up stuff we talked about years ago when the album first came out as if it's new.

No offense to the original poster, I just find it funny.
Sometimes you just have to step back, put things in perspective, and think, "Well, at least I can l look forward to hell."

violentgreen

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: March 27, 2006, 06:19:11 AM »
I never liked Too Cool Queenie.

For me to consider an album to be "good," it must be consistant.  STPs first three albums were consistant.  The last two were all over the place which makes it difficult for me to listen to.  An album should be consistant, not a shuffled playlist of random songs by the same artist.

wayne gretzky

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: March 28, 2006, 05:33:36 AM »
Personally i think TCQ is a great song, but i agree with you that Shangri- la doesnt flow as well as others do, theres alot of great tracks, and some average ones .. alomost sounds as if they had the mentality of writing it to showcase how varied there song writing capaablity is..