September 20, 2024, 07:48:02 AM

Author Topic: SLDD 20 years later.....  (Read 1658 times)

MAJOR METAL

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
SLDD 20 years later.....
« on: June 19, 2021, 05:55:23 PM »
20 years ago today, at their creative peak, STP released what many hard core fans consider to be their best album. For as exciting a time it was to be an STP fan waiting for the album with this promo https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=63NsK-kUTSU. 20 year later looking back on this phenomenal work, I'm left with a feeling of sadness as to what was to follow this release with the implosion of the band.

No disrespect to STP (2010),  but this was really the last STP album to feature the amazing chemistry of Scott with the rest of the band.
If you should die before me ask if you could bring a friend.
Pick a flower hold your breath and drift away.

NickLorenza

• Sky Captain
  • Arrivals
    • View Profile
Re: SLDD 20 years later.....
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2021, 02:05:54 AM »
I clearly recall walking to the record store and buying this cd after work. I had been anticipating it for months, reading little tidbits about how the band wanted to do a double album. I knew they were in a fertile creative period and was super excited as a fan to see what direction they would go with it. I turned the volume all the way up on my Aiwa discman, put my earbud headphones in, broke the sticker seal on the top of the jewel case, and opened it up to find an orange disc with the silhouette of the showgirl on it. The opening riff to Dumb Love hit hard, and with that, I wore the biggest smile for the rest of the walk home. I listened to the whole album three times that night. While the 18 year old version of me felt it was a very good record, it took maturing for me to really appreciate how awesome the song craftsmanship is on this album. This album captures a period of time where the band’s creative star is shining at it’s brightest and where they really are firing on all cylinders. The special feeling of this pinnacle era prompts so many “what ifs” that many of us, including I, have spent time pondering on here. Maybe subconsciously, beyond the tunes themselves, that’s part of the appeal and mystique of this band. There’s so many “what if” scenarios that there’s a lot to talk about. We all longed for some kind of different outcome or course of direction at many different points. One of those to me always has been to wonder what the immediate follow up album to this would have been like. All In The Suit That You Wear was such a great teaser to that.

stontemplpilot

• Co-Pilot
    • View Profile
Re: SLDD 20 years later.....
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2021, 03:46:31 PM »
One of those to me always has been to wonder what the immediate follow up album to this would have been like. All In The Suit That You Wear was such a great teaser to that.
I 100% agree.  This was always one of the saddest things to me back in 2003 when the band officially broke up and released Thank You shortly after.  I loved SLDD and have always had a soft spot for the "softer" STP songs, but when SLDD didn't have good commercial success the band spoke in interviews about doing a heavy "back to core" sounding record, and when Thank You came out all I could think of was if All in the Suit was any indication of what that next record may have sounded like how great it would have been. 

In my mind I like to consider SLDD to be the last true/great STP album from the 5 core(pun intended) albums that will always cement them as my all time favorite band.