September 27, 2024, 08:23:35 PM

Author Topic: STP to play entire Core album live for July 31 webcast  (Read 16488 times)

Blue

• Your Friend
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
STP to play entire Core album live for July 31 webcast
« on: July 22, 2020, 04:23:17 PM »
https://www.facebook.com/134914122905/posts/10158353621842906/

Webcast will be through Nugs.net, July 31 at 5pm est. Digital tickets are $10
Grab the hate and drown it out...

cgg

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
Re: STP to play entire Core album live for July 31 webcast
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2020, 07:44:38 PM »
I was excited until I saw they were charging for it.  Not that there’s anything wrong with that, but I can’t afford to spend $10 on a webcast right now.
STP 2008 - Las Vegas 6/14  Baltimore 8/10

STP 2011 - Belleville 7/22

Blue

• Your Friend
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2020, 07:52:35 PM »
Additional information here: https://www.iconvsicon.com/2020/07/22/stone-temple-pilots-perform-iconic-core-album-in-its-entirety-via-july-31st-livestream-event/

In addition to the live stream, STP will be adding some past shows to the Nugs.net catalog starting with a 2011 show in New Hampshire, and a 2019 show in London. Both shows appear to be available for purchase now, and are available in both MP3 and FLAC formats.

EDIT: I have purchased both shows, and I have to say they sound fantastic. I know I can be hard on reunion era Scott, but this was definitely a strong night for him. Hope they dig further back into the archive to add some more shows.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2020, 08:21:32 PM by Blue »

CagedTiger

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2020, 10:35:06 PM »
It’s cool to see Nugs adding some old STP shows and I might purchase the one from 2011 with Scott at some point, especially since there’s a couple of deep cuts on that set list. I have no interest in paying money for live audio of Jeff era STP though, I’ll just head to YouTube for that stuff. I’d be interested in watching the live performance of Core though, if I’m sitting in not doing anything on August 1st, Saturday night at 1am (British time) I might give that a watch.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2020, 10:38:01 PM by CagedTiger »
Nothing matters again, I didn\'t think we\'d last that long

Blue

• Your Friend
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2020, 04:50:59 PM »
I'd say the Jeff show is probably the better bang for your buck if you're only going to buy one. It's got a longer set, it's got two songs off of No. 4 that they never performed with Scott, and in general it's just a tighter performance from the band and obviously a stronger vocal performance from Jeff than we get from reunion-era Scott.

On the other hand Scott show is definitely the best official release from the reunion thus far, the vocals are strong for the era and clearly not as digitally fucked with as the Chicago and New York shows from 2010, and Heaven and Hotrods and Still Remains do add a couple of rarities to the party. The only real negative is there seems to be some mic hiss coming off of Rob's mic when he's singing backup sometimes.

So I guess it's a matter of taste. The 2011 show is great as a more accurate time capsule of the reunion era than previous releases, and is definitely a solid show for the era. On the other hand the 2019 show show just how excellent the band is with Jeff, and offers two songs that are almost non-existent in circulation as SBD recordings.

I say, if you have the money buy both.

I really hope they continue adding to this archive. I'd love to get a 2009 show, when Scott was at his best post-VR and when they were playing Seven Caged Tigers and Army Ants. Jeff-era setlist have also been so varied that adding more 2018-1019 shows could give us tons of deep cuts, including stuff off the 2018 album that were unfortunately only played a few times. I'd also love to have the 2015 New York show with Chester on FLAC.

Then of course there's the exciting prospect of them adding some shows from the original era of the band. I imagine they are saving a lot for prospective anniversary editions, but it's possible they have some shows that won't make those sets they could throw on Nugs.

CagedTiger

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2020, 02:50:18 AM »
So I went ahead and grabbed the 2011 show. Just been listening through headphones and the quality of the recording really is fantastic, Roberts driving bass lines really stand out in the mix. I did hear some slight crackling as Blue mentions, specifically on ‘Still Remains’. Thankfully it’s not on every song and doesn’t detract too much.

As for the show itself, I suspect how much you enjoy it will depend on how big of a Scott fan you are, I know many here and are SW fanatics and for us this is great but obviously this isn’t 92-02 Scott, it’s slightly drunk sounding, Bowie vibrato reunion era Scott. I could imagine some of my casual STP fan friends saying it sucks. I actually really dig some of Scott’s reunion era singing and ad libs though, like on ‘Plush’ (Come owwwwwn, yeehyeeehyeeeh FIND IT yeah!) and the way he changes up some of the melodies, it certainly takes me back to that whole reunion era time, which I know wasn’t all happy memories but still it’s part of the bands history.

It’s also worth mentioning that whilst there’s some deep cuts here which sound pretty decent like ‘Still Remains’ and ‘Heaven and Hot Rods’ there is also a jam song called ‘Thank You Joe’. It’s mainly instrumental with Scott doing his infamous ‘ooooh ooohing’ (which I’ve always loved) but the music is new to me. The only thing I recognised from it is a snippet from the ‘Take A Load Off’ solo. This is exactly the sort of track I’d have loved them to have got Scott to actually write to either on S/T or a follow up. It’s got that dark experimental sound going on. This may have been a regular jam on the reunion tour but I don’t seem to recall it? I’m actually surprised it didn’t get used on the Buttetfly album, it’s that good.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2020, 02:54:54 AM by CagedTiger »
Nothing matters again, I didn\'t think we\'d last that long

JugeSTP

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2020, 01:01:10 PM »
I think Scott sounds like shit. It’s just a reminder of how off his game he was at that point. Kind of a bummer because the audio quality of the band is incredible, musically it sounds amazing. Some of the songs sound better than others. Still worth the purchase, it’s a good set list and a fun show. But Scott does that Bowie vibrato nasal thing. It’s painful for me.

Agree that the Jeff show just feels more... professional. He is singing the songs correctly, hitting all the notes. They do blitz through Wicked Garden at like 1.5x speed, so it starts off weird, but thankfully they just seem to just do that on that song. The bass isn’t quite as prevalent in the mix on this one but it’s all good. I’d give a slight edge to the music/sonic value on the 2002 show.

Both are fun things from the vault. I’m happy they exist and I was happy to purchase all three things to support the band. If you want the better sounding show - go with Jeff for show. He is by far better than 2002 era Scott. It was a somewhat sad reminder for me of how much my artistic hero had fallen at that point.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2020, 01:34:10 PM by JugeSTP »

JugeSTP

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2020, 01:30:15 PM »
Sorry for the double post but I want to make sure you read this. If you buy one song - buy Pruno off the Jeff show for 99 cents. It sounds exactly like the album. If you have lingering questions about Jeff, let him prove you wrong here. It’s shocking how much they freaking nail this song live.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2020, 01:32:36 PM by JugeSTP »

Blue

• Your Friend
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2020, 04:29:48 PM »
I think Scott sounds like shit.

I mean obviously it's reunion era Scott, so it's not going to be great no matter what... But his voice is definitely in better shape here than in late 2011 shows, where he sounded fucking horrible. I'm used to the SWU fest version of Silvergun, where Scott can't even sing the chorus of the song without losing his fucking voice. And he doesn't seem to hit as many sour notes as other shows. So like I said, good for reunion era Scott.

Like I said, it's probably the best recording thus-far from a weak era, so if you're looking for a decent reunion era show this is better than anything else currently available.

Sorry for the double post but I want to make sure you read this. If you buy one song - buy Pruno off the Jeff show for 99 cents. It sounds exactly like the album. If you have lingering questions about Jeff, let him prove you wrong here. It’s shocking how much they freaking nail this song live.

I'd agree, but I'd also suggest picking up Glide if you're not going to by the whole concert, since it is also phenomenal and pretty damn close to the album. But to be honest, you're better of just buying the whole concert. It's less expensive then buying all the songs individually, and it's the best this band has sounded in a very very long time.

I really hope they add more shows, and can't wait for the Core performance Friday.

JugeSTP

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2020, 05:09:48 PM »
Agree with everything you said Blue regarding it being relatively good for that tour.

lovemachine97

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2020, 07:03:23 PM »
I bought both shows. They definitely sound like they are firing on all gears with Jeff.

If you buy the Core performance, will you get a downloadable audio, too, or is it just 48 hours to watch the video and that's it?

Blue

• Your Friend
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2020, 11:42:21 PM »
I bought both shows. They definitely sound like they are firing on all gears with Jeff.

If you buy the Core performance, will you get a downloadable audio, too, or is it just 48 hours to watch the video and that's it?

I'm pretty sure it's just the video I unfortunately. Hopefully they'll find a way to do a long term release later, but then we'll probably end up paying twice...

Of course I imagine someone out there will find a way to capture it an make mp3s... Not that I would condone that sort of thing.  ::)

Roe

• Ground Personnel
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 29, 2020, 03:03:24 PM »
I was just thinking from an economic standpoint that if this PPV works out it would probably be a good platform for the Perdida show too.

Blue

• Your Friend
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 29, 2020, 03:46:23 PM »
I was just thinking from an economic standpoint that if this PPV works out it would probably be a good platform for the Perdida show too.

My one concern for the Perdida show would be that adding extra musicians might me difficult in times of social distancing.

But honestly, if this quarantine continues and the PPV event isn't that expensive for the band to make, then I hope they continue doing them. Maybe continue playing albums in their entirety...

lovemachine97

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 29, 2020, 09:06:58 PM »
Will be interesting, Jeff doing Wet My Bed.