September 27, 2024, 10:32:08 PM

Author Topic: New Single and/or New Album Announcement Date Coming December 2nd  (Read 17697 times)

Blue

• Your Friend
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
Re: New Single and/or New Album Announcement Date Coming December 2nd
« Reply #45 on: December 03, 2019, 10:26:08 PM »
I always loved STP's acoustic songs so I'm real excited about this new Cd & acoustic tour. I hope they put some songs in the set like "Hello It's Late", "Wonderful" from the Shangri- La Dee Da CD.

I don't want to get my hopes up too high, but the addition of a keyboard player gives them the perfect opportunity to to play Hello It's Late for the first time.

I very much doubt it's likely, since the band has pretty much abandoned the Peace album, but Maver is another key-forward track they could play for the first time and I think Jeff would absolutely NAIL that song.
Grab the hate and drown it out...

CritterTypeThing

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: December 03, 2019, 11:17:52 PM »
I always loved STP's acoustic songs so I'm real excited about this new Cd & acoustic tour. I hope they put some songs in the set like "Hello It's Late", "Wonderful" from the Shangri- La Dee Da CD.

I don't want to get my hopes up too high, but the addition of a keyboard player gives them the perfect opportunity to to play Hello It's Late for the first time.

I very much doubt it's likely, since the band has pretty much abandoned the Peace album, but Maver is another key-forward track they could play for the first time and I think Jeff would absolutely NAIL that song.

Really great opportunity for them to break away from the mostly stagnant Greatest Hits setlist they've been rolling out for a while now, and embrace deeper tracks which fit this album/tour's concept. 
Hold me closer.....closer.....let me go!

My STP Concertology:  6/22/01, 10/26/01, 4/21/02, 4/23/02, 5/18/08, 5/26/08, 5/31/08, 8/6/08, 8/8/08, 8/10/08, 7/17/09, 5/18/10, 9/3/10, 9/4/10, 7/25/11, 7/26/11, 9/10/11, 9/1/12, 5/6/18

leocal79

• Pilot
  • Arrivals
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: December 03, 2019, 11:24:31 PM »
I think they could also play Peeling an Orange or Fill the Fields from the Talk Show album.  I am sure Jeff could pull off either one.

loungefly90

• Pilot
  • You're The Wonder In Everything That's Wonderful..
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: December 04, 2019, 12:28:37 AM »
I really wanted to get in on the conversation for this last night when I first heard the new song but I had a lot going on. My initial thoughts are that this song is really beautiful and it fits the band very well. More importantly for me personally, this is the first piece of music from STP that I really feel something for and that feeling has not happened in a very long time. The butterfly album was just okay in my view with a few good songs but nothing really amazing. I really was not a fan of the 2010 self-titled album and their work with Chester still had that sloppy sound to it. I have always loved STP's slower songs like Atlanta and Wonderful and to me this is going in that direction. There was a rumor a very long time ago that they would release an album like this with Scott mentioning that Roberts poetry would be used as the lyrics and I'm glad that they are finally doing something along those lines.

foou33

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: December 04, 2019, 05:09:41 AM »
Really great opportunity for them to break away from the mostly stagnant Greatest Hits setlist they've been rolling out for a while now, and embrace deeper tracks which fit this album/tour's concept. 

I swear, if they bust out the same old setlist on this tour, I'll saw off my own arms.

IMJ

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
    • Wave1Collectibles
« Reply #50 on: December 04, 2019, 06:06:07 AM »
More importantly for me personally, this is the first piece of music from STP that I really feel something for and that feeling has not happened in a very long time.

Wow, that's huge. I know exactly how that feels. I spent years not feeling anything about music like I did when I was younger. Then after years, I actually had that feeling about some of the tracks from the Naked and Famous. I get it.
STP Shows: 12/12/1996 | 10/12/2001 | 05/17/2008 | 05/22/2008 | 03/20/2010 | 08/20/2010
CheSTP Shows: 04/23/2015
JeffTP Shows: 09/26/2019
Velvet Revolver Shows: 05/19/2004 | 11/21/2004 | 04/29/2005 | 08/13/2005 | 05/10/2007 (w. Slash signed Setlist) | 08/28/2007
Scott Weiland Shows: 05/10/2014 | 11/20/2015

Pingfah

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: December 04, 2019, 10:20:50 AM »

I swear, if they bust out the same old setlist on this tour, I'll saw off my own arms.

They'll have to change it somewhat as a lot of the set has never been performed as acoustic material, meaning it would all have to be rearranged anyway.

Sklashboombash

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: December 04, 2019, 04:36:04 PM »
I think they could also play Peeling an Orange or Fill the Fields from the Talk Show album.  I am sure Jeff could pull off either one.

Imagine that?

I'd be all for it, but they have enough of their own material that they rarely touch, so it's most improbable to bust out a Talk Show song. But it's fun to dream.
STP: 07.31.00 | 08.04.01 | 10.24.01 | 04.23.02 | 10.11.02 | 05.31.08 | 09.05.10
SW: 11.30.11 | 03.12.13 | 08.29.14 | 03.10.15
VR: 05.28.04 | 05.18.07 || AoA: 02.01.07
CheSTP: 09.06.13 | 04.25.15 | 09.20.15 || JeffTP: 07.28.18 | 09.15.19

Comatose Commodity

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: December 04, 2019, 05:17:52 PM »
Good song definitely, melodies feel a tad bit standard and nothing really stands out lyrically, but I still enjoy it, pretty tune. Dean or Robert mentioned bringing old songs to the new tour and showing them in a new light. It would be cool to hear an acoustic version of something really unexpected like Where The River Goes or Silvergun
I had the midwife naked and alone

Blue

• Your Friend
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: December 04, 2019, 05:40:18 PM »
In terms of setlists, this is what they played last year at a one off acoustic show:

• Vasoline
  • Crackerman
  • Big Bang Baby
  • Still Remains
  • Pretty Penny
  • Lady Picture Show
  • Creep
  • Big Empty
  • Atlanta
  • Plush
  • Interstate Love Song
  • Dancing Days
  • Seven Caged Tigers
  • Wicked Garden
  • Sex Type Thing
  • Trippin' on a Hole in a Paper Heart

That may seem like a lot of hits, but if you remove all the deep cuts you end up with only 10 songs:

• Vasoline
  • Crackerman
  • Big Bang Baby
  • Creep
  • Big Empty
  • Plush
  • Interstate Love Song
  • Wicked Garden
  • Sex Type Thing
  • Trippin' on a Hole in a Paper Heart

So I imagine we can expect this to be the basis of the set they are going to be touring. If they play a full show of 20-22 songs, that gives us room for 10-12 deep cuts. Hopefully half of that will be songs off the new album, and the other half will be rarities.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2019, 05:42:27 PM by Blue »

Flyingmerpa

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • Arrivals
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: December 04, 2019, 06:12:13 PM »
Let's put things into perspective.Here are some of their less played songs for visual reference.  Not all would fit in the acoustic format, but slowed down or rearranged (lounge version?) might be pretty cool, like Naked Sunday.  I left out a few like Sin/Meatplow/Piece of Pie, because they seem to be played more often I believe.  And I don't count No Memory or Wet My Bed.  Either way, this is not scientific or exact, the takeaway point here is the broader picture:
---
1. Naked Sunday2. Where the River Goes3. LoungeFly4. Still Remains5. Pretty Penny6. Silvergun7. Army Ants8. Kitchenware
(Most of Tiny Music)
9. Pops Love10. Tumble in the Rough11. Lady Picture Show12. And So I Know13. Art School Girl14. Adhesive15. RIDE THE CLICHE16. Daisy17. Seven Caged
(pretty much all of No.4)
18.  Heaven and HotRods19. Pruno20. Church on Tuesday21. Sour Girl22. No Way Out23. Sex and Violence24. Glide25. I Got You26. Mc527. Atlanta
(all of SLDD)
28. Dumb Love29. Days of the Week30. Coma
31. Hollywood Bitch32. Wonderful33. Black Again34. Hello its Late35. Too Cool Queenie36. Regeneration37. Bi Polar Bear38. Transmissions39. Song for Sleeping (doubtful)40. Long Way Home
(all of the outtakes like You Can't Drive Me Away, 5 songs)
(all of Peace album, 12 songs)(all of Hig Rise, 5 songs)(the 12 songs they don't play off Butterfly album including the bonus tracks)
So we are now at roughly 74 songs that are underplayed or never played. 

If you feel adventurous and you add AoA and Talk Show that's another 25 songs or so, so that's about 100 songs they either play rarely, or not at all. 

Now with this acoustic tour coming up, they should be able to live a little.  It's not like they ignore a vast majority of their catalogue or anything  ::)

Blue

• Your Friend
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: December 04, 2019, 06:49:50 PM »
Let's put things into perspective.Here are some of their less played songs for visual reference.  Not all would fit in the acoustic format, but slowed down or rearranged (lounge version?) might be pretty cool, like Naked Sunday.  I left out a few like Sin/Meatplow/Piece of Pie, because they seem to be played more often I believe.  And I don't count No Memory or Wet My Bed.  Either way, this is not scientific or exact, the takeaway point here is the broader picture:
---
1. Naked Sunday2. Where the River Goes3. LoungeFly4. Still Remains5. Pretty Penny6. Silvergun7. Army Ants8. Kitchenware
(Most of Tiny Music)
9. Pops Love10. Tumble in the Rough11. Lady Picture Show12. And So I Know13. Art School Girl14. Adhesive15. RIDE THE CLICHE16. Daisy17. Seven Caged
(pretty much all of No.4)
18.  Heaven and HotRods19. Pruno20. Church on Tuesday21. Sour Girl22. No Way Out23. Sex and Violence24. Glide25. I Got You26. Mc527. Atlanta
(all of SLDD)
28. Dumb Love29. Days of the Week30. Coma
31. Hollywood Bitch32. Wonderful33. Black Again34. Hello its Late35. Too Cool Queenie36. Regeneration37. Bi Polar Bear38. Transmissions39. Song for Sleeping (doubtful)40. Long Way Home
(all of the outtakes like You Can't Drive Me Away, 5 songs)
(all of Peace album, 12 songs)(all of Hig Rise, 5 songs)(the 12 songs they don't play off Butterfly album including the bonus tracks)
So we are now at roughly 74 songs that are underplayed or never played. 

If you feel adventurous and you add AoA and Talk Show that's another 25 songs or so, so that's about 100 songs they either play rarely, or not at all. 

Now with this acoustic tour coming up, they should be able to live a little.  It's not like they ignore a vast majority of their catalogue or anything  ::)

A TON of the songs you listed are songs they play frequently:

• Lounge Fly
  • Silvergun Superman
  • Still Remains
  • Pretty Penny
  • Army Ants
  • Pop's Love Suicide
  • Tumble in the Rough
  • Lady Picture Show
  • Seven Caged Tigers
  • Heaven And HotRods
  • Pruno
  • Church on Tuesday
  • Glide
  • Sex and Violence
  • Atlanta
  • Coma
  • Hollywood Bitch
  • Black Again
  • Too Cool Queenie
  • Regeneration
  • Bi-Polar Bear

That's 21 songs you've listed that the band has played for at LEAST an entire leg of a tour since the reunion.

Make that 22, since I forgot to list Adhesive which they played through their entire 2015 summer tour with Chester.

And if we're NOT counting songs they haven't played since they broke up with Scott, that only excludes Black Again, Seven Caged Tigers, and Bi-Polar Bear

EDIT: I also forgot Sour Girl, which they have played with Scott, Chester AND Jeff.

The bottom line is the whole "They only play the hits" complaint is complete BS. Every tour since the reunion they've mixed deep cuts into the set, many of which they never played before. I can't believe we've just seen TWO YEARS STRAIGHT of them playing Glide at most of their shows, and people are still complaining that they just play the hits.

The problem isn't that they don't play obscure old songs, the problem is they hardly play any new songs. So hopefully they make sure to play most of Perdida on this tour.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2019, 07:11:10 PM by Blue »

Flyingmerpa

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • Arrivals
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: December 04, 2019, 07:36:10 PM »
I think our definitions of frequently are different, or our focus is different, Blue.  I'm looking at the broader picture of the amount of the setlist which is greatest hits, versus the frequency of deeper cuts, specifically since Jeff joined.

According to https://www.setlist.fm/stats/stone-temple-pilots-bd6b9ee.html  (I assume this site is accurate, so correct me if I'm wrong please)
Just to spot-check a few examples:
They last played Church on Tuesday with Chester in 2013 (never with Gutt).
They have played Too Cool Queenie only 3 times in March of 2018.They last played Pop's Love in 2013 with Chester (never Gutt)
Black Again was last played in 2012 with Scott.Army Ants on seven dates last year only.

I missed an example, like Glide and Regeneration which I wasn't aware of which has been played on legs with Gutt like you mention.   You are correct that they are doing a much better job of playing deep cuts, but I still think there is definite room for improvement considering their catalogue, and they could swap some more 'deep cuts' for 3 or 4 of the other greatest hit staples.  They do need to play more new material for sure.  They could even interleave the entirety of the Butterfly album live by playing one every other song.
The acoustic tour is a great invitation to steer away from their greatest hits setlist.  In your previous example of what they played on their one-off acoustic set of 16 songs, that is still roughly 62% of their set with the usual greatest hits culprits.  For this special acoustic tour, they can pull off playing much less than that.

foou33

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: December 04, 2019, 08:17:39 PM »

That's 21 songs you've listed that the band has played for at LEAST an entire leg of a tour since the reunion.

The reunion started 11 years ago dude. The majority of their time with Jeff has been the standard greatest hits with Meadow and Roll Me Under. They did pull out some rarities with Chester (and a Jeff) however they really didn't tour much with Chester and the Jeff shows were more one offs, so really, very few shows actually had rarities. What were're after here is a full blown tour with rarities every night.

Blue

• Your Friend
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: December 04, 2019, 08:25:11 PM »
I think our definitions of frequently are different, or our focus is different, Blue.  I'm looking at the broader picture of the amount of the setlist which is greatest hits, versus the frequency of deeper cuts, specifically since Jeff joined.

According to https://www.setlist.fm/stats/stone-temple-pilots-bd6b9ee.html  (I assume this site is accurate, so correct me if I'm wrong please)
Just to spot-check a few examples:
They last played Church on Tuesday with Chester in 2013 (never with Gutt).
They have played Too Cool Queenie only 3 times in March of 2018.They last played Pop's Love in 2013 with Chester (never Gutt)
Black Again was last played in 2012 with Scott.Army Ants on seven dates last year only.

I missed an example, like Glide and Regeneration which I wasn't aware of which has been played on legs with Gutt like you mention.   You are correct that they are doing a much better job of playing deep cuts, but I still think there is definite room for improvement considering their catalogue, and they could swap some more 'deep cuts' for 3 or 4 of the other greatest hit staples.  They do need to play more new material for sure.  They could even interleave the entirety of the Butterfly album live by playing one every other song.
The acoustic tour is a great invitation to steer away from their greatest hits setlist.  In your previous example of what they played on their one-off acoustic set of 16 songs, that is still roughly 62% of their set with the usual greatest hits culprits.  For this special acoustic tour, they can pull off playing much less than that.

It's not fair to expect them to play every single song in just the 2 years they've been touring with Gutt. You have to look at the bands entire history... And in the last 10 years, they've rotated the set enough that they played the vast majority of their original catalog. And considering that 2014, 2016, and 2017 were all years they barely played any shows, that's pretty freaking impressive.

You also have to remember that die-hards like us are vastly in the minority at a typical STP show. Dean said in an interview recently that he can see bored people in the audience every single time they play Glide. You can't expect them to drop crowdpleasers like Vasoline or Wicked Garden in favor of songs that only a couple people in the audience will be excited by.

So yeah, in all fairness to the band I think they are doing a fantastic job playing the back catalog. My only complaint is they don't play enough new material.